PDA

View Full Version : Mario's in the hospital??

Foz
12-07-2005, 09:50 PM
Lemieux in hospital to monitor irregular heartbeat

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Pittsburgh Penguins owner/star player Mario Lemieux was admitted to hospital on Wednesday for observation of an irregular heartbeat, the National Hockey League team says.

The 40-year-old Lemieux will be kept in overnight and will definitely not play on Thursday night against the Minnesota Wild. His playing status will be re-evaluated later in the week.

The Hall of Famer has missed significant playing time over the years with various injuries and ailments, including a battle with Hodgkin's disease in 1993 and severe back and hip problems.

Lemieux recently missed two games with what the team said was stomach flu, an illness that has lingered for the past few weeks. It was not disclosed if that problem was in any way related to his latest illness.

Lemieux picked up an assist in Pittsburgh's 3-2 loss Saturday to the Calgary Flames, his first point in five games after he endured a four-game pointless streak, the longest of his career. He has seven goals and 21 points in 25 games this season.

The Penguins star has 690 career goals and 1,722 points, sixth on the NHL's all-time point list. He retired for several seasons in the late 1990s and was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame after retiring, only to return in 2000-01.

l8braker
12-07-2005, 10:00 PM
ya gotta wonder if it's time to throw in the towel?

Shaolin
12-07-2005, 10:08 PM
my favorite hockey player of all time.. best of luck.. first the back and now this.. :thumbsdow

cman
12-07-2005, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin
my favorite hockey player of all time.. best of luck.. first the back and now this.. :thumbsdow
:werd: sad to say but i think mario should have stayed retired.

lastprodigy
12-08-2005, 01:11 AM
Would have been amazing to see what he could have done/challenged for without all the injuries.

eb0i
12-08-2005, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by Shaolin

don't forget the throat cancer.

Kirbs17
12-08-2005, 02:00 AM
poor guy, hes such a talented player

sputnik
12-08-2005, 08:11 AM
get well soon.... and... :goflames:

dericer
12-08-2005, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by eb0i

don't forget the throat cancer.

Mario has Hodgkins disease, or cancer in his back.

I wouldn't count Mario out yet, God know he should have retired after his third come back special, but he had the flu really bad a couple days ago.

First report I heard said that he's had trouble eating/getting electrolytes into his system and that may have caused the issue.

JordanEG6
12-10-2005, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by cman

:werd: sad to say but i think mario should have stayed retired.

:werd: just like MJ should have stayed retired...that way...he wouldnt have missed that dunk at the all-star game :guns:

heinz256
12-11-2005, 03:29 AM
Looks like he wont be participating in the Olympics as well

Foz
12-11-2005, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by heinz256
Looks like he wont be participating in the Olympics as well

Yeah, he gave up his position. Now I'm curious as to who will get his spot.

dericer
12-11-2005, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Foz

Yeah, he gave up his position. Now I'm curious as to who will get his spot.

Hopefully Spezza, but with Gretzky you just never know.