PDA

View Full Version : Question About 6-Speed Transmissions

max_boost
02-25-2003, 11:15 PM
Manufacturers have been equipping many cars with a 6-speed, Tiburon, Celica, RSX, S2000, 350Z.........

Anyway, syeve had told me that on the RSX-S, when you are driving, it is impossible to shift from 5th to Reverse because reverse automatically locks up when you are in gear.....Ok, is that how it is for all 6 speed's? A friend had told me that some celica owners have been blowing their motor/tranny because of the mis-shift, now I can't verify if its true or not.......

Assuming the gearing is like this

.......N......
2.....4.....6.....R

I may sound like a retard, but I'll ask, I'm actually somewhat worried about doing the 5th into reverse thing......:dunno:

Ekliptix
02-25-2003, 11:19 PM
I want to know too. Let's go for a test drive and see.

ExitSpeed
02-25-2003, 11:20 PM

max_boost
02-25-2003, 11:24 PM
Ok, another question, so another way to avoid this mis-shifting would be to take off the shift boot so you can see where you are shifting into? lol

I remember seeing that in some Ferrari's/lambo.....actually, just the red one at soundsaround! lol

Hollywood
02-25-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Ok, another question, so another way to avoid this mis-shifting would be to take off the shift boot so you can see where you are shifting into? lol

I remember seeing that in some Ferrari's.....actually, just the red one at soundsaround! lol

What are you looking at getting? Don't buy till I talk to you. Are you going to the 403/beyond meet tomorrow?

D'z Nutz
02-25-2003, 11:49 PM

I remember seeing that in some Ferrari's.....actually, just the red one at soundsaround! lol

You mean kinda like this?
http://www.racdyn-usa.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000002/1221936001

Actually, if you take the boot off, there isn't really a shift gate under there. What you see in those cars is just the decoration and trimming.

szw
02-25-2003, 11:49 PM

I've read the Ferrari gated shifters are really hard to shift. But I don't know if removing the shift boot will give the same effect.

Anyways, I think most modern 6speeds will have some kind of lock-out/pop-out to keep you out of reverse. And if not, I would think it would just GRINNDDD like crazy until you take it out, it wouldn't actually go in and mess things up.

I was nervous @ first but it got easier. Its pretty easy to take it easy on the 5-6 shift. If you are doing it, you're usually just cruising (relaxed shifts). If you are racing, you shouldn't be in 6th gear anyways

Dope Dealer
02-25-2003, 11:53 PM
People that were blowing the RSX engines were mis-shifting from 4th to 2nd or 5th to 2nd or something like that.

max_boost
02-25-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood

What are you looking at getting? Don't buy till I talk to you. Are you going to the 403/beyond meet tomorrow?

Ok I'll talk to you .....

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

You mean kinda like this?
http://www.racdyn-usa.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000002/1221936001

Actually, if you take the boot off, there isn't really a shift gate under there. What you see in those cars is just the decoration and trimming.

Yes Yes that is it!!!

Originally posted by szw

I've read the Ferrari gated shifters are really hard to shift. But I don't know if removing the shift boot will give the same effect.

Anyways, I think most modern 6speeds will have some kind of lock-out/pop-out to keep you out of reverse. And if not, I would think it would just GRINNDDD like crazy until you take it out, it wouldn't actually go in and mess things up.

I was nervous @ first but it got easier. Its pretty easy to take it easy on the 5-6 shift. If you are doing it, you're usually just cruising (relaxed shifts). If you are racing, you shouldn't be in 6th gear anyways

Dam, I could of just asked you, forgot Spec V are 6 speed too....
I won't be racing at all.....I have one story from my supercharge Prelude days.....I was showing off my madd skillz to CRXguy, I redlined 3rd, but dropped it into 2nd, I got too excited or something haha and man, there was this horrible sound, still haunts me today, maybe thats why my last car was automatic....and CRXguy ain't no better, he redlined 3rd and missed 4th, but at least he didn't pop it into 2nd.....
:rofl: :rofl:

szw
02-26-2003, 12:00 AM
I'd sleep better at night if the reverse was to the left of 1st gear though

max_boost
02-26-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by szw
I'd sleep better at night if the reverse was to the left of 1st gear though

That is how it is on the BMW's! Or at least the 330 Sedan AWD I test drove

+.....|.....N......
R.....2.....4......

So to get into reverse, you would have to have it in neutral, push to the left, you hear a 'click' (basically snaps over, like going from auto to tiptronic) and then shift down....now that is extremely safe proof for dummies imo lol

SilverStreak
02-26-2003, 12:08 AM
1----3-----5
----- N-----|----+
2----4-----6 --- R

There is no way you can go into reverse with the S2000. You have to press down on the shifter go to the very far right and down.

As for mis-shifting to 2nd, hmmm if you use the shifter natural centering spring, you wouldn't do it. However, there have been people who are too zealous and have mis-shifted into 2nd bending valves.

CRXguy
02-26-2003, 12:08 AM
Dam, I could of just asked you, forgot Spec V are 6 speed too....I won't be racing at all.....I have one story from my supercharge Prelude days.....I was showing off my madd skillz to CRXguy, I redlined 3rd, but dropped it into 2nd, I got too excited or something haha and man, there was this horrible sound, still haunts me today, maybe thats why my last car was automatic....and CRXguy ain't no better, he redlined 3rd and missed 4th, but at least he didn't pop it into 2nd.....
:rofl: :rofl:

It's the Prelude tranny man! First time it's ever happened to me. I swear! :rofl: :rofl:

OK, I re-read your post. I don't think it's possible to shift into reverse by accident on a 6spd. Maybe on older 5spd's, but newer ones have lockouts that activate after a certain speed I'm guessing.

It's either:

1 3 5
2 4 6 R,

or

R 1 3 5
- 2 4 6

szw
02-26-2003, 12:10 AM
Well, even on my car, its still a pain to get into reverse normally. I think that's part of the lock-out mechanism.

I'm sure if a cheap car like mine has it, whatever pimping ride you get will save you as well! haha

FiveFreshFish
02-26-2003, 12:13 AM

That is how it is on the BMW's! Or at least the 330 Sedan AWD I test drove

...........N.........
R.....2.....4......

So to get into reverse, you would have to have it in neutral, push to the left, you hear a 'click' (basically snaps over, like going from auto to tiptronic) and then shift down....now that is extremely safe proof for dummies imo lol

Reverse on Bimmers is up to the left of 1st.
http://www.mz3.net/articles/images/206-shift-knob_a.jpg

fast95pony
02-26-2003, 12:14 AM
This is the SVT Focus. There is a stiff spring you have to push against for reverse. You would really have to foul up a shift to hit reverse..

...........N.........
R.....2.....4......6

max_boost
02-26-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by SilverStreak
1----3-----5
----- N-----|----+
2----4-----6 --- R

There is no way you can go into reverse with the S2000. You have to press down on the shifter go to the very far right and down.

As for mis-shifting to 2nd, hmmm if you use the shifter natural centering spring, you wouldn't do it. However, there have been people who are too zealous and have mis-shifted into 2nd bending valves.

Excellent...........!

Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Reverse on Bimmers is up to the left of 1st.
http://www.mz3.net/articles/images/206-shift-knob_a.jpg

Oops, its been awhile.....

Dam, my stupid 6 speed diagram really conveys the message well!:thumbsup: Thanks!

syeve
02-26-2003, 12:16 AM
I have heard of a few people blowing engines because of 6 to 2 or 5 to 2 accidental changes. But its just that...it can happen in a 5 speed almost as easy as a 6 speed. In my car the throws are very short and the gears are very close together...I am no race car driver, but I have never accidentally missed 4th gear...the stories you'll hear about are few and far between...its not something you should shy away from just because a few people are stupid. 6 speed is not only more fun to drive it makes my 200 hp car feel faster than it should be.

Dope Dealer
02-26-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by syeve
I have heard of a few people blowing engines because of 6 to 2 or 5 to 2 accidental changes. But its just that...it can happen in a 5 speed almost as easy as a 6 speed. In my car the throws are very short and the gears are very close together...I am no race car driver, but I have never accidentally missed 4th gear...the stories you'll hear about are few and far between...its not something you should shy away from just because a few people are stupid. 6 speed is not only more fun to drive it makes my 200 hp car feel faster than it should be.

First car I had ever driven was an RSX Type-S :) Nice cars.... It was kind of confusing though since I had never driven a car in my life at the time.

Do the 2003's grind on the 2nd gear like the 2002 models?

And do they still have that rotten egg smell after you run it hard? I hated that! :)

szw
02-26-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Dope Dealer

Do the 2003's grind on the 2nd gear like the 2002 models?

And do they still have that rotten egg smell after you run it hard? I hated that! :)

I think that 'problem' is fixed when you learn to use the clutch properly! hehe

Dope Dealer
02-26-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by szw

I think that 'problem' is fixed when you learn to use the clutch properly! hehe

I didn't encounter the problem.

On ClubRSX, almost everyone with a Type-S that was bought when it first came out had a grind problem in 2nd. The later cars that were built in April or so still had them, but only in the odd one.

syeve
02-26-2003, 12:40 AM
the new converter on all new cars have been know to smell funny, but I personally have never smelled anything but new car smell..mmmm....the second gear grind was so over blown...I drove a 2002 as a tester before I bought mine and the guy said that the grind was pretty bad...I noticed nothing. And yes I heard they fixed it on the later 2002 and the 2003, but I never felt anthing on the old one anyways.

Dope Dealer
02-26-2003, 12:44 AM
the new converter on all new cars have been know to smell funny, but I personally have never smelled anything but new car smell..mmmm....the second gear grind was so over blown...I drove a 2002 as a tester before I bought mine and the guy said that the grind was pretty bad...I noticed nothing. And yes I heard they fixed it on the later 2002 and the 2003, but I never felt anthing on the old one anyways.

I noticed the smell the first time I was in the car shortly after hitting V-Tech. It wasn't bad, but just wasn't nice.

I've only seen two White Type-S' so far. The first time I saw one I thought it was imported from the US. I used to follow them all the time, but lost interest for a while and didn't realize they had Pearl White as a 2003 option.

syeve
02-26-2003, 12:47 AM
the us ones suck...you can only get them with tan leather interior...its a black leather interior for canadians.

Dope Dealer
02-26-2003, 12:49 AM
the us ones suck...you can only get them with tan leather interior...its a black leather interior for canadians.

Yeah, but they have Championship White! :)

Some guy in Vancouver painted his 2002 Silver Type-S, White. Or it was Arctic Blue Pearl. Don't remember.

He is on Club RSX I think. Or at least he was.

GTS Jeff
02-26-2003, 12:52 AM
ARRGGGHHHHH....U GUYS!!!

ITS NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE TO ENGAGE REVERSE WHILE MOVING FORWARD, NOT BECAUSE OF THE SHIFT GATES, BUT BECAUSE THE TRANNY HAS TO BE STOPPED BEFORE IT WILL GO INTO REVERSE!

the thing is, the reverse gear is actually spinning in "reverse" at all times compared to the other gears in the tranny. so even if u try to get into reverse before u give the tranny time to stop spinning forward, all that will happen is a lot of grinding of the dogteeth. it makes a horrible noise, but it actually doesnt do too much damage.

dumbasses :)

syeve
02-26-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Dope Dealer

Yeah, but they have Championship White! :)

no, the white is the same as ours...championship is saved for type-r only. I parked my car next to al's type-r and the difference was so slight, not even noticable...does that mean I can put type-r stickers on my car?

D'z Nutz
02-26-2003, 01:20 AM
Oops, its been awhile.....

Dam, my stupid 6 speed diagram really conveys the message well!:thumbsup: Thanks!

Hahaha! The picture I posted is also from an E36. While it isn't a 6-speed, it still clearly shows where the reverse is located. Hahaha!

three.eighteen.
02-26-2003, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Hahaha! The picture I posted is also from an E36. While it isn't a 6-speed, it still clearly shows where the reverse is located. Hahaha!

the E36 shift is a very positive, yet sorta rubbery feel, i like it, you know when youre in gear...but my question is: wouldnt a gated shift 'boot' make it a lot less smooth as it eliminates alot of the freeplay in the shifter?

Ben
02-26-2003, 09:43 AM
All euro cars are down, left and then forward for reverse.

boi-alien
02-26-2003, 09:55 AM
i thought most modern trannies had the lock on reverse if you were in any gear other than 1st? at least that's what i remember my driving instructor telling me about 5 years ago

Ben
02-26-2003, 10:06 AM
Never understood the point of having reverse over there anyways, to the left is far more logical.

GTS Jeff
02-26-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by boi-alien
i thought most modern trannies had the lock on reverse if you were in any gear other than 1st? at least that's what i remember my driving instructor telling me about 5 years ago

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
ARRGGGHHHHH....U GUYS!!!

ITS NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE TO ENGAGE REVERSE WHILE MOVING FORWARD, NOT BECAUSE OF THE SHIFT GATES, BUT BECAUSE THE TRANNY HAS TO BE STOPPED BEFORE IT WILL GO INTO REVERSE!

the thing is, the reverse gear is actually spinning in "reverse" at all times compared to the other gears in the tranny. so even if u try to get into reverse before u give the tranny time to stop spinning forward, all that will happen is a lot of grinding of the dogteeth. it makes a horrible noise, but it actually doesnt do too much damage.

dumbasses :)

http://forums.beyond.ca/avatar.php?userid=92&dateline=1045915608

bol
02-26-2003, 11:18 AM
Finishing up on Jeff's point. It is EXTREMELY difficult to engage reverse if the transmission is spinning. Why? Because the reverse gear does not have a synchro like the rest of the transmission!

You'd have to double clutch and really wan't to break your transmission if you wanted to get into reverse while moving at any engine speed fast enough to do damage.

benyl
02-26-2003, 01:23 PM
My porsche was to the right and back... I guess there is always the exception to the rule

Originally posted by Ben

SplineZ
02-26-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by bol
Finishing up on Jeff's point. It is EXTREMELY difficult to engage reverse if the transmission is spinning. Why? Because the reverse gear does not have a synchro like the rest of the transmission!

You'd have to double clutch and really wan't to break your transmission if you wanted to get into reverse while moving at any engine speed fast enough to do damage.

Yea, and at this point i'd say your TRYING to break something, instead of accidently doing it :)

JZ

GTS Jeff
02-26-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by bol

You'd have to double clutch and really wan't to break your transmission if you wanted to get into reverse while moving at any engine speed fast enough to do damage. heh and even then, u would need to dbl clutch and turn off the engine while cruising...i think even idle is too fast to allow the teeth to sink into reverse

SplineZ
02-26-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
heh and even then, u would need to dbl clutch and turn off the engine while cruising...i think even idle is too fast to allow the teeth to sink into reverse

Just reef on it! with enough force you can do anything! :)

JZ

Yellow_Fly_Red
02-26-2003, 07:02 PM
on my car, its Pull shift knob UP, Left, and Down for revers:

R

.... oh...
Regarding the Rotten-Egg smell on the RSX. My friend had that problem on his new RSX and when he ask the Service Dept at Acura about it, they said its the Catalytic converter and the smell should go away after 3-6 months of owning the car.... The smell is GONE now.... but it was hella embarassing for my buddy during the first few months of ownership. This only happens on some brand new RSX's and not all of them.

syeve
02-26-2003, 07:39 PM
holy shit..that would suck...I would tell them i want a new car if for the first 6 months my car smelled like I took a dump in the back seat.

Mckenzie
02-26-2003, 08:20 PM
Newb here..... great forum! :)

Anyways..... I will chime in on this. My 93 legend coupe is a 6 speed. There is a lockout in 1st and R. I was also a bit freaked at first when I bought it that I may actually shift into R doing 100km/h +..... but you cannot even move the shift knob into the VERY far right position when you are driving.

6th gear for me is even a bit to the right instead of straight down... as straight down will put you into 4th gear. LOL.....When I bought the car I thought I got ripped off because I couldnt find 6th gear. Then I realized you have to push it a bit to the right to engage 6th... but It will go nowhere near the 6th gear gate while you are driving forward.

SplineZ
02-26-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Yellow_Fly_Red
on my car, its Pull shift knob UP, Left, and Down for revers:

R

.... oh...
Regarding the Rotten-Egg smell on the RSX. My friend had that problem on his new RSX and when he ask the Service Dept at Acura about it, they said its the Catalytic converter and the smell should go away after 3-6 months of owning the car.... The smell is GONE now.... but it was hella embarassing for my buddy during the first few months of ownership. This only happens on some brand new RSX's and not all of them.

Other vehicles have this problem aswell. Its the paint on the underside of the car being "baked" on. its not melting or anything, its just Curing.

JZ

RSeXy
07-13-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Yellow_Fly_Red

.... oh...

I've noticed my car sometimes has that rotten egg smell as well, it was also present in my cavalier and my mom's RSX. Its good to know it'll eventually go away though! :)

StrokeD z
07-14-2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Ben

ya but it is very easy to brake the plastic piece that makes you go down then left

two of my friends have that prob in there golfs :thumbsdow

4wheeldrift
07-15-2003, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by StrokeD z

ya but it is very easy to brake the plastic piece that makes you go down then left

two of my friends have that prob in there golfs :thumbsdow I'd suggest your friends learn how to shift. You don't have to hammer on it to get it into gear.

redline_13000
07-15-2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
I'd suggest your friends learn how to shift. You don't have to hammer on it to get it into gear.

One of the car's he's talking about is mine. I did buy it already like that, i guess the previous owner didn't know what he was doing.:dunno:

ryder_23
07-15-2003, 11:43 AM
Going into rev is like going into first at that speed, even if it doesnt have the lockout thing, the syncro isnt match'd, like what was said before, and all that will happen is u wil get a buzzing sound in the gear, cause its grinding. i guess if you really wanted it to get in their u could, but u'd hafta push it like a mother..it would prolly chew up your tranny before u will get it in to blow your engine

4wheeldrift
07-15-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by redline_13000

One of the car's he's talking about is mine. I did buy it already like that, i guess the previous owner didn't know what he was doing.:dunno: I've driven VWs before and I've never had to hammer on them to get them into reverse. That interlock isn't something I can imagine breaking from normal use.

StrokeD z
07-15-2003, 09:21 PM
my other friend has a golf and he got it like that and the previous owner was a volkswagen freak and knows alot about them

i took redlines shift boot out and the plastic is cheap and thin so it wouldnt take much effort to brake it

T5_X
07-15-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by fast95pony
This is the SVT Focus. There is a stiff spring you have to push against for reverse. You would really have to foul up a shift to hit reverse..

...........N.........
R.....2.....4......6

getrag :thumbsup:

jennyanniemary
07-15-2003, 10:43 PM
in the old VW u have to push down on the stick before u can actually get it in to reverse, and some other european have a thingy u pull up under the knob, a sequential trany will also prevent this, also some box make u go into first befreo u can go in to reverse, as stated above gates prevent this really good, if u cant handel a 6 speed with a H patter then dont drive thinking u are a race car driver, hell get a auto

T5_X
07-16-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by jennyanniemary
, and some other european have a thingy u pull up under the knob,

yep, my daytona has that, its got a getrag tranny.