PDA

View Full Version : GLGY307 Course Info

SugeTek
12-08-2005, 09:49 AM
Has anyone taken this class with CJ Collom? What is the grading structure (exams? papers? weighting?), and hows the prof?

Thanks!

~Leah~
12-08-2005, 06:21 PM
Collum is fucking AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't taken 307 but I had Chris (Collum) for 209 this year. He is hilarious, and a great prof. One of my faves of all time for sure.

DonJuan
12-09-2005, 03:02 AM
Collum is great for 307, Definately knows his shit and is really easy to talk to. I wish he taught or higher level glgy classes, but alas I'm stuck. BTW GLGY 307 was easily my most favorite class to date, and I have no doubt that it was because of Chris as well as a love for paleontology.

the-240sx-guy
12-09-2005, 09:01 PM
im taking this class too as my last science option, anyone have the the textbook for sale?

~Leah~
12-10-2005, 05:05 PM
Here is a slide from practice questions for the midterm .... very typical of him to do something like this... usually at least once/lecture he'll add in some type of joke... I'll post some up when I'm going through studying the lectures, funny guy that Collum. Funny guy.

~Leah~
12-11-2005, 01:24 PM
Oh I love this guy... talking about soil creeps...

retro-steve
12-11-2005, 01:36 PM
Leah did you have 209 in the block from 10-11am MWF? if so you were in my class and good luck on the final tomorrow!

but ya amazing prof, definately knows his shit. he's definately going to make you try in class though so prepare to study

cujo_cjc
12-11-2005, 01:38 PM
Its nice to hear good things about this guy.
I have him for 307 next semester too :)

~Leah~
12-11-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by retro-steve
Leah did you have 209 in the block from 10-11am MWF? if so you were in my class and good luck on the final tomorrow!

but ya amazing prof, definately knows his shit. he's definately going to make you try in class though so prepare to study

Sure did have him at 10 MWF... thanks, good luck in the final to you too! I love the email he sent out to everyone about if we're sick, we have to pop a pill in his presence... lol

retro-steve
12-11-2005, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by ~Leah~

Sure did have him at 10 MWF... thanks, good luck in the final to you too! I love the email he sent out to everyone about if we're sick, we have to pop a pill in his presence... lol

oh well...i guess i won't be sick. but i'm going over all my notes, ahhh the beauty of a laptop every thing is dated so i know what i need to study and what i've learned recently :D easy to go through as well! oh and did you see the extra shit in his e-mail about the earthquake that's going to be on the test?

SugeTek
12-12-2005, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the info, how is the grade calculated for the class (two midterms and a final?)

~Leah~
12-13-2005, 11:55 AM
You betcha ... 2 midterms worth 25% and the final worth 50%

Some sample questions from the final:

(Not direct quotes but you get the idea)

By what process does yadda yadda occur?

a) choice
b) choice
c) choice
d) magic

What type of bonding do yadda yadda rocks have?

a) choice
b) choice
c) choice
d) James Bond-ing

Which of the following will cause yadda yadda?

a) choice
b) choice
c) choice
d) not getting enough fibre in your diet

With many Calvin and Hobbes comics throughout the exam :)

SugeTek
12-14-2005, 04:48 PM
Thanks Leah for the info. You've sold me on the course, and the Calvin and Hobbes comics didn't hurt either (you get enough time to read them during the exam right? lol)