PDA

View Full Version : New Mazda Rx-7?

Clanche
12-08-2005, 08:45 PM
Any news or gossip about if its coming back. I saw a bunch of concept pics and a few articles stating that it was gonna be 1.5L but i dunno if that all died down..

any leads? :dunno:

JAYMEZ
12-08-2005, 08:58 PM
Nope gonna happen , its old newsss :D

dooman24
12-08-2005, 08:59 PM
so not gona happen?!??!
or nope it's gona happen??

theken
12-08-2005, 09:01 PM
yeah jaymez your post made no sense hahaha

Xtrema
12-08-2005, 09:08 PM
I believe it's not gonna happen. Reason being RX-8 isn't selling that well.

lastprodigy
12-08-2005, 09:20 PM
I dont think so.

tsi_neal
12-08-2005, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
I believe it's not gonna happen. Reason being RX-8 isn't selling that well.

I really dont have any clue on a new 7, but the rx8 is a totally different car that should attract a totally different buyer, meaning that the sales of it should have nothing to do on the projection of a new rx7

also considering what the rx8 is i think they sell a tonne, i see em everywhere

JAYMEZ
12-08-2005, 10:38 PM
Lol oops , its NOT going to happen , its been talked over and over on the RX-7 forums.

nhlfan
12-08-2005, 11:13 PM
never title a thread like you did unless you have photos and specs please...my poor hopes were crushed :(

avow
12-08-2005, 11:15 PM
didnt the rx-8 kind of replace the rx-7 considering both of them are rotery engines? :confused: :dunno:

handsomebassman
12-08-2005, 11:21 PM
yea, the rx-8 isnt a super seller right now.
I personally feel the price is a little high (just my $0.02), but when you pick the right options, it can be a nice lookin car.

JAYMEZ
12-09-2005, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by avow
didnt the rx-8 kind of replace the rx-7 considering both of them are rotery engines? :confused: :dunno:

No two different cars completely , more than the RX-7 had a rotory engine.

Originally posted by handsomebassman
yea, the rx-7 isnt a super seller right now.
I personally feel the price is a little high (just my $0.02), but when you pick the right options, it can be a nice lookin car.

You mean the RX-8? Yah they arent the best , just wait for the mazdaspeed to come out.

Xtrema
12-09-2005, 01:35 PM
^ A base RX-8 GS is $37K. Saleman I talked to was willing to let it go to $33K. That tells me it isn't moving or may be nobody wants the GS model :dunno:

khtm
12-09-2005, 01:53 PM
Mazda has sold more RX-8s in 2 years than all 10 or so years the FD RX-7 was in production (the final RX-7 came off the assembly line around the same time RX-8s started being produced)

Also, last year in Canada it was 2-1 as far as RX-8 to 350z sales go. The RX-8 has also been selling more than the crossfire or S2000.

So whoever says it "hasn't been selling" should get their facts straight.

b_t
12-09-2005, 02:12 PM
2 to 1? Are you sure, because I've only seen a small handful of RX-8s ever but a ton of 350Zs.

Clanche
12-09-2005, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by b_t
2 to 1? Are you sure, because I've only seen a small handful of RX-8s ever but a ton of 350Zs.

maybe rx-8 owners are more modest and dont show them off all the time :)

khtm
12-09-2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by b_t

This was for some time in 2005 (and only in Canada, not in the US), but since the 350z came out in 2002, there's bound to be more.

Overall, the 'Z has sold more, yes.

The 8 sales are starting to die off, which leads a lot of people to believe that it is an "enthusiasts" car, and all the people that would want a rotary engine vehicle, have already bought it.

I think the FD RX-7 sold like 40,000 or so world wide, and the RX-8 is close to 150,000...so at least this is good news for the rotary.

There's been rumours of another 2 seater rotary...(crosses fingers).

And since this year was Mazdaspeed 6, next year is Mazdaspeed 3, the following year *should be* Mazdaspeed RX-8.

JAYMEZ
12-09-2005, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by khtm
Mazda has sold more RX-8s in 2 years than all 10 or so years the FD RX-7 was in production (the final RX-7 came off the assembly line around the same time RX-8s started being produced)

Also, last year in Canada it was 2-1 as far as RX-8 to 350z sales go. The RX-8 has also been selling more than the crossfire or S2000.

Mazda didnt want to sell a shit load of RX-7s when they came out , thats why they didnt produce alot. Yes the RX-8 is a good seller , but when the first batch of them came out , alot of people returned them because of the over estimated HP, and now alot of people are baseing all the facts on that incident.

^^^ As for selling the RX-8 for 33k , it doesnt mean much to get rid of a vehicle that has been sitting on the lot , but it means alot to sales people on getting you on warrantys :D

Now im going back to studying , god damn beyond :banghead:

sputnik
12-09-2005, 02:26 PM
Its a shame that the RX-8 looks horrible...

Clanche
12-09-2005, 02:27 PM
i should of clarrified the subject.. i think i made alot of people cry... :cry:

Clanche
12-09-2005, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Its a shame that the RX-8 looks horrible...

i dunno man.. i think it can have its charm :D

http://www.spheregraphics.net/pics/f4dc84c0.jpg

http://www.spheregraphics.net/pics/normal_mini-IMG_2106.jpg

http://www.spheregraphics.net/pics/normal_mini-IMG_2107.jpg

http://www.spheregraphics.net/pics/mazdaspeed_rx8_01.jpg

http://www.spheregraphics.net/pics/mazdaspeed_rx8_02.jpg

khtm
12-09-2005, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
Mazda didnt want to sell a shit load of RX-7s when they came out , thats why they didnt produce alot. Yes the RX-8 is a good seller , but when the first batch of them came out , alot of people returned them because of the over estimated HP, and now alot of people are baseing all the facts on that incident.

Also, the FD had a lot of reliabilty problems when people who didn't know what they were doing started messing around with the boost. THis definitely hurt sales. Nobody wants to pay Porsche prices for a Mazda that breaks down ;)

But yeah, I hear ya on the HP overstatement. That situation caused a lot of false rumours. Like "everyone is returning their RX-8"...I have only heard of a couple people that did this. The retarded thing is, you have to be an idiot to NOT testdrive a car before you buy it. And if you testdrive it and enjoy it, then who cares how many HP the manufacturer says it has? Just so you can brag to your buddies?

JAYMEZ
12-09-2005, 02:38 PM
^^ I know a few people who returned them... You really paid the price thinking it had so and so HP , then you find out they fucked up, its a very bad post buying feeling , so of course your going to return it...

As for the rotory breaking down , thats driver error(maintance , mods, blah blah) , Ive talked to people who have over 140k m on the orginal engine. But in reality , rotory engines are babys compared to piston engines. The reasearch just needs to catch up.

Xtrema
12-09-2005, 02:42 PM
^ People buying RX-8 thinking of the RX-7. But they just got themselve an RSX that use twice as much gas.

Zephyr
12-09-2005, 03:37 PM

Get your facts straight. RX-7 FD chassis stopped in North America in 1995 and stopped in Japan in 1998. RX-8 didn't come out until the 2000's 2002 i believe, concept in 2001 and x-men version in 2001. So how the hell did the RX-8 come out when the last RX-7 rolled out?

Also according to Forbes and cars.com S2000 sales have been very high since the start, 6000 units when it came out, 9000 the next year and still rising to this day. While mazada reports that in the RX-8 section there has been a 47% decrease in sales. Tell me who sold more? Don't even use the crossfire as a comparison while GM overall is doing horribly bad in sales in all directions.

Also, the FD had a lot of reliabilty problems when people who didn't know what they were doing started messing around with the boost. THis definitely hurt sales. Nobody wants to pay Porsche prices for a Mazda that breaks down

But yeah, I hear ya on the HP overstatement. That situation caused a lot of false rumours. Like "everyone is returning their RX-8"...I have only heard of a couple people that did this. The retarded thing is, you have to be an idiot to NOT testdrive a car before you buy it. And if you testdrive it and enjoy it, then who cares how many HP the manufacturer says it has? Just so you can brag to your buddies?

Reliability problems? Really? A rotary? How could that be? No shit there is realibity problems with a dam wankle rotary. If i remember correctly, the RX-7 sold at $37,363 for a 95 model, the last North American version versus the 1995 porsche 911 at $60,625, how the hell is the rx-7 anywhere close to a porsche price?! Sources: car and driver

It's not about bragging rights, it's about paying for what you were told you were getting. If my car says to have 200 crank horsepower, then id better be getting that because i paid for it, not because you want to brag to your buddies.

khtm
12-09-2005, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr

Get your facts straight. RX-7 FD chassis stopped in North America in 1995 and stopped in Japan in 1998. RX-8 didn't come out until the 2000's 2002 i believe, concept in 2001 and x-men version in 2001. So how the hell did the RX-8 come out when the last RX-7 rolled out?

Also according to Forbes and cars.com S2000 sales have been very high since the start, 6000 units when it came out, 9000 the next year and still rising to this day. While mazada reports that in the RX-8 section there has been a 47% decrease in sales. Tell me who sold more? Don't even use the crossfire as a comparison while GM overall is doing horribly bad in sales in all directions.

Reliability problems? Really? A rotary? How could that be? No shit there is realibity problems with a dam wankle rotary. If i remember correctly, the RX-7 sold at $37,363 for a 95 model, the last North American version versus the 1995 porsche 911 at $60,625, how the hell is the rx-7 anywhere close to a porsche price?! Sources: car and driver

It's not about bragging rights, it's about paying for what you were told you were getting. If my car says to have 200 crank horsepower, then id better be getting that because i paid for it, not because you want to brag to your buddies.
Sigh...

RX-7 production stopped in 2002...not sure where you got 1998 from: Here's a quick link but I've read this in tons of places: http://savetheseven.rotarynews.com/

First quarter of 2005, RX-8s were selling better than S2000: http://www.forbes.com/vehicles/2005/05/09/cx_mf_0509test.html

Of course there's more S2k sold OVERALL, the RX-8 first came out as a 2004 model! I've seen the sales #s for 2004/2005 and the RX-8 was selling more than the S2k...I just can't find a link right now.

The 911 isn't the only Porsche model, ya know ;) Hopefully you get my drift, but the RX-7 FD WAS priced and designed to compete with Porsche.

Zephyr
12-09-2005, 04:07 PM

Sigh...

RX-7 production stopped in 2002...not sure where you got 1998 from: Here's a quick link but I've read this in tons of places: http://savetheseven.rotarynews.com/

First quarter of 2005, RX-8s were selling better than S2000: http://www.forbes.com/vehicles/2005/05/09/cx_mf_0509test.html

Of course there's more S2k sold OVERALL, the RX-8 first came out as a 2004 model! I've seen the sales #s for 2004/2005 and the RX-8 was selling more than the S2k...I just can't find a link right now.

The 911 isn't the only Porsche model, ya know ;) Hopefully you get my drift, but the RX-7 FD WAS priced and designed to compete with Porsche.

I'm talking about mass product model, not the Japan limited production Spirit R in 2002 or the 2001 limited production Type RZ in 2000

yes overall it sold better than rx-8, but u claimed the rx-8 sold overall better.

ok if 911 is to high, go find another porsche similar price to rx-7 around the same price no more than 5k.

*sighs*

heavyD
12-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Okay. Okay. We know that the RX-8 is underpowered, ugly, sales are dropping off, and khtm is grasping at straws. I know personally two people with RX-8's and both regret their purchase.

More importantly though, the babe in Zephyr's avatar is hotness & I don't give out many complements.:drool:

Zephyr
12-09-2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Okay. Okay. We know that the RX-8 is underpowered, ugly, sales are dropping off, and khtm is grasping at straws. I know personally two people with RX-8's and both regret their purchase.

More importantly though, the babe in Zephyr's avatar is hotness.:drool:

and i hate to admit this, but the SRT-4 is better than that triangle spinning machine, you get more for the buck...

i know a few ppl that got rid of the rx-8 after a while due to crappiness lol

heavyD
12-09-2005, 04:18 PM
and i hate to admit this, but the SRT-4 is better than that triangle spinning machine, you get more for the buck...

i know a few ppl that got rid of the rx-8 after a while due to crappiness lol

You hate to admit it? For what I paid for the car with stage 2 w/toys the car hauls ass pretty well. Too bad the interior is the worst interior besotwed on a car since the late 80's, early 90's Beretta's. :(

khtm
12-09-2005, 04:26 PM

I'm talking about mass product model, not the Japan limited production Spirit R in 2002 or the 2001 limited production Type RZ in 2000

yes overall it sold better than rx-8, but u claimed the rx-8 sold overall better.

ok if 911 is to high, go find another porsche similar price to rx-7 around the same price no more than 5k.

*sighs*

Who said anything about mass produced? The last RX-7 rolled off the assembly line near the time that RX-8s started being produced. This is a true statement.

1995 Porsche 968 MSRP - $39,950. Happy?

Sorry if I didn't explain myself properly, I never meant that there were more (owned) RX-8s in the world than S2000. Only that RX-8s were selling at a faster rate.

Anyways, I'm going to a happy hour, so this'll be my last post on this topic. Have a good weekend.

JAYMEZ
12-09-2005, 05:45 PM
ANnnnywhoo... I think the question was answered , no there is no plans in the future to bring back the RX-7. And I believe that wraps everything up.

4doorj
12-09-2005, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Clanche

i dunno man.. i think it can have its charm :D

word!!! rx8's are soooo sexy!!!! rx8 and s2000 are my favorite cars:drool:
im buying a rx8 soon so that when i have a family i have a family car:thumbsup:

werent the rx7 pics just a two door rx8?
also with a turbo?

tsi_neal
12-09-2005, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
ANnnnywhoo... I think the question was answered , no there is no plans in the future to bring back the RX-7. And I believe that wraps everything up.

No doubt, but im still gonna add my 2cents...

I know 2 people with RX8's (my dad being one of em) Both are fairly happy with the car and have no intentions of selling. the thing is alot of people probably bought them thinking they were the 'new 7' and would have unreal performance potential and ended up dissapointed when they got something a little bit less. But for the people that wanted a really, really sporty 'family' car i dont think they could be more happy.

Also anyone looking for a HP car needs to look elsewhere (SRT4 comment???) the 8 is a drivers car and will forever outhandle an SRT4, will be more fun to drive (unless you just want to go fast in a straight line) Has an infinatly better interior and better exterior (it may be ugly but its not a neon) Im actually fairly baffeled that you can compare the two cars at all. Also ive driven my fair share of turbo4's (talon, WRX, Audi A4, Merkur Xr4ti, and probably more) and you CANNOT compare them to the smoothness of a rotary

JAYMEZ
12-09-2005, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by tsi_neal

you CANNOT compare them to the smoothness of a rotary

Amen!:thumbsup:

4doorj
12-10-2005, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by tsi_neal

Also anyone looking for a HP car needs to look elsewhere (SRT4 comment???) the 8 is a drivers car and will forever outhandle an SRT4, will be more fun to drive (unless you just want to go fast in a straight line) Has an infinatly better interior and better exterior (it may be ugly but its not a neon) Im actually fairly baffeled that you can compare the two cars at all. Also ive driven my fair share of turbo4's (talon, WRX, Audi A4, Merkur Xr4ti, and probably more) and you CANNOT compare them to the smoothness of a rotary

word!!! it handles amazing!!! and my favorite interior in cars in its price range:thumbsup:

Maxt
12-10-2005, 01:18 AM

The spirit R and the type Rz are mass produced, not sure why you would think otherwise..
In the last 2 weeks l have worked on a ton of type rz `s, the most common Fd on the road it seems, here in Japan.
The last production of the rx-7 was 2002, which actually resulted in a chassis sale date of 2003 for the tail of the production line..
I was at a mazda dealer today that still has a brand new fd on the lot they never sold coded as heisei 15 which is 2003, when the rx-8 overlapped , people started buying the 8 , but there was a bit of a 7 frenzy that put 7 prices through the roof, now thats its calmed down a bit, the price of the 7 is reasonable, just no one here wants to buy a new car that is already 2 years old, it looks so pretty to, they refused my bid for a test drive...:)..

01RedDX
12-10-2005, 03:18 PM

ApexDrift
12-10-2005, 03:57 PM
actually im pretty sure Zephyr is right about the Spirit R's or a series of Spirit R's being limited editions, i remember reading that it came in a type A, type B and type C models, and like the 10AE's only 1500 are being produced and only sold in Japan.

*EDIT* clicky (http://rotarynews.com/node/view/89)

tsi_neal
12-10-2005, 05:07 PM
All this talk and the nice weather is really really making me want to pull my 7 out... must resist, too much salt and too many rocks...

Oh on a side note, the renisis engine is a total treat, sure it cant hold a candle to the power of an FD but its not hard to realize that its the superior engine. Once mazdaspeed does its thing with the 8 its gonna be a totally different car. Might even make a few performance guys happy

Maxt
12-10-2005, 05:21 PM
Consider the first Rz was released in Japan in 92, there are alot more than 1500, I think there are 1500 in this prefecture.
It was supposed to be set at 300 a year, over 11 years, would put it at 3300, but actual sales numbers were higher than that for the first couple of years meaning production numbers were greater than production goals..
Its one thing to say they were limited editions, its another to say that they were not mass produced, he was trying to say the FD was not mass produced after 98, which is just not true, 98 was the year the car went through some minor changes, its not like they started hand building FDs for only special order after that point.. The limited edition thing was kinda hocas pocas in later years anyway as production numbers of the so called limited editions added up still exceeded annual sales numbers for the FD...
Its like the 10th ann numbers, every TII you see is usually a 10th ann... There are way more than 1500, Its the most common TII in Calgary..

Xtrema
12-11-2005, 09:57 PM
So... may be this is the buzz about a new sport car.

Mazda's Detroit Concept Splits RX-8, Miata

Two's company and three is… very exciting news from Mazda. The Japanese firm has revealed it will add to its sportscar range with the addition of a third model to sit alongside the RX-8 and MX-5.

The car will be unveiled at January's Detroit auto show, and though it will be styled and badged as a concept, insiders say the two-seater hints very strongly at a production model that will go on sale around 2008. We've been told it's a mini RX-8 with a hint of MX-3, but crucially won't use the former car's rotary engine.

It will be designed and developed by Mazda North America, based inIrvine, Calif. The center's director of design, Franz von Holzhausen, said, "It's an exciting continuation of the Mazda DNA. We will offer a product that's relevant to what people want, and enters us into an arena that we have not been in before."

The designer emphasized that the car would be aimed at North American buyers. However, he admitted it has been designed so that it is "conceptually possible" for it to made right-hand-drive for fans in countries such as Britain and Japan.

Maxt
12-11-2005, 11:42 PM
I was just reading Option with small interview with REamemiya about the future rx-7 and his predictions based on his relationship with Mazda.
He predicts that if they can get the chassis down to around 1000 kg as they are trying with a 2 seat model it will have a 2 rotor na motor, with a very high redline and hp in the high 200's...Sounds like they are crossbreeding the miata with an rx-8 to me and then stripping it down more..