PDA

View Full Version : ae86??

Clanche
12-09-2005, 03:27 AM
Quick question: My younger brother has always been a huge fan of these cars so I was thinking maybe I can help him get one (he just got his license)

I have no idea where to look though.. did these cars come to Canada or do you have to import them? whats the price range for them? and what year is the desired generation (1987ish i think?) where is the best place to look?

thanks! :)

Zephyr
12-09-2005, 03:50 AM
AE86 is the chassis code for a two door corolla 84-87, came in either coupe of fastback. our december calendar has a great example.

It's one thing to be a fan, and it's another to be able to put up with this car. It literally is a 500 dollar shitbox because of its age and technology. It's a great car, but requires a ton of work. It's almost 20 years old. Expect the worst conditions finding these to decent condition.

lastprodigy
12-09-2005, 04:03 AM
Isnt it 84-86?? IMO they are overpriced rust-bucket fadmobiles, that being said, not as much as 240's and they can look damn nice done up :D

Clanche
12-09-2005, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by Zephyr
AE86 is the chassis code for a two door corolla 84-87, came in either coupe of fastback. our december calendar has a great example.

It's one thing to be a fan, and it's another to be able to put up with this car. It literally is a 500 dollar shitbox because of its age and technology. It's a great car, but requires a ton of work. It's almost 20 years old. Expect the worst conditions finding these to decent condition.

thanks for the heads up :thumbsup: i'd want to make it a project car so thats part of the package... any ideas where i should be looking?

ex1z7
12-09-2005, 07:02 AM
Vacouver if you get lucky and find one with little to no rust. America would have a bit of a following as well - maybe in the Cali side of things.

I'd say look in Vacouver.

I think an AE86 would be great to learn to drive on as a first car. They're a bitch to drive, underpowered, hard to get sideways, hard to get seriously hurt in one.. You get killer arms drivin' em too ;) Having a car thats too easy to drive doesn't teach you to appreciate the more luxury side of cars when you get further up in the automotive food chain.

'86's with 4AGZE's in them are quite enjoyable to drive however =) It isn't an offered by toyota swap I'm pretty sure, but that little extra kick makes it more fun.

Redlyne_mr2
12-09-2005, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by lastprodigy
Isnt it 84-86?? IMO they are overpriced rust-bucket fadmobiles, that being said, not as much as 240's and they can look damn nice done up :D
I used to think they were overpriced rust buckets as well until I missed owning one and bought another one. I love the lightness of the car and the predictability of the handling. With some bigger sway bars, some short stroke shocks and some stiff ass springs the car is a little monster in the corners. The 16V engine is perfectly matched to the car and with a few mods ie ITBS, cams and header it makes things ever more fun. The cars however often need work as they have started to deteriorate over time so be aware of that.

GTS Jeff
12-09-2005, 01:24 PM
Look around for an 85-87 Corolla GT-S (or SR5 if you are willing to do a GT-S conversion.) There are no 1984 AE86s in North America.

Just be aware that these cars cost a LOT of money to own. Expect to spend over $500/month on the car if you want to do things properly. Owning an AE86 is as costly as owning a brand BMW or whatever...

Clanche
12-09-2005, 02:17 PM
whats the difference between the SR5 and the GT-S.. does it still have RWD? cause i heard Toyota also made corollas that year that were on a different frame with FWD

what should i be expecting to pay?

pressure_ratio
12-09-2005, 03:07 PM
The GTS has the 4ag 16V,4 wheel disks,swaybars.I'm sure GTS Jeff,or Redline could tell you every detail and difference..It's the top of the line I guess you could call it.The SR5 is a more base model.
They also made the FF Corollas during the same years so if you go look at one make sure it's the FR model.
Good place to look for them would be Vancouver Island,I saw a bunch of mint ones(and I mean MINT) when I was there this summer.
...And they're not fad mobiles.People have been tuning them since they were new,they've only become more popular in the last few years.Yes they were built as an econo box and are bad for rust but look at Datsun 510's....those things are a true classic,just as the 86 is becoming.

Zephyr
12-09-2005, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Clanche
whats the difference between the SR5 and the GT-S.. does it still have RWD? cause i heard Toyota also made corollas that year that were on a different frame with FWD

what should i be expecting to pay?

fuel injected (GT-S) versus carb (SR5)

thanks to initial d, the prices of these things should start running up, get it before fast and furious 3. but with a lot of work, these things can look sexy. redlyne_mr2 had a very sexy white one:drool:

That.Guy.S30
12-09-2005, 10:59 PM
^^ no doubt. that damn initial D movie put the prices of gc8's (subaru impreza 98-01) through the damn roof.

bodaciousbob
02-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Look around for an 85-87 Corolla GT-S (or SR5 if you are willing to do a GT-S conversion.) There are no 1984 AE86s in North America.

Just be aware that these cars cost a LOT of money to own. Expect to spend over $500/month on the car if you want to do things properly. Owning an AE86 is as costly as owning a brand BMW or whatever...

Ahem... my SR5 was an '84.. Door tags stated it was produced in Feb of '84, with AE86 stamped on the plate under the hood...

arian_ma
02-07-2006, 05:28 PM
My friend would like to say:

I have owned my 1985 corolla gts since september of 2005, it is such a great car, i've never had any problems with it at all. The only work i've had to do to it was some minor body work, and of course change the oil. I've madeabout 5 trips to edmonton, each without incident, and thus far i've put 7000 kms on the car with no breakdowns. and guess what, i've got 307000 kms... still purrs and when needed.... tears past civic fan boys :P.

great car!:thumbsup:

Inthered
02-07-2006, 09:28 PM
Check www.dorikaze.com or www.club4ag.com for more info or to buy one in good condition.

These cars need alot of work if they're not in the best shape. I'd buy one out of Van or Cali like previously suggested, since rust is a problem on these cars.

They are kinda underpowered stock, but perfect to learn how to drive at the limit. With a set of springs, shocks (bushings would be a good thing aswell), supra wheels (14x7 with a really good offset) and decent tires (all of this for under $1k) they can outhandle 99% of the cars on the road.

Toms-SC
02-07-2006, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Inthered
With a set of springs, shocks (bushings would be a good thing aswell), supra wheels (14x7 with a really good offset) and decent tires (all of this for under $1k) they can outhandle 99% of the cars on the road.

Ah yes, 'I can take them in the twistes yo'

GTS Jeff
02-07-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by bodaciousbob

Ahem... my SR5 was an '84.. Door tags stated it was produced in Feb of '84, with AE86 stamped on the plate under the hood... You couldn't figure out that I was referring to the GT-S model?

C4S
02-08-2006, 01:22 PM
I had a 87 GTS back to 91-92 .. loved it!

Almost bought one last yr .. but .. lost the guy phone# because of my stupid Plam .. :banghead:

Redlyne_mr2
02-08-2006, 10:23 PM
Strange something about those cars, I know a few guys with Porsche 996's who also have ae86....odd combination.

GC84ever
02-09-2006, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
^^ no doubt. that damn initial D movie put the prices of gc8's (subaru impreza 98-01) through the damn roof.

It's not because of initial D. It's because they're classics :D
The only thing I see initial D doing for the GC8 is young kids pestering me to drift my car.
Heck I've already had someone tell me I should trade in my OZ racing Super Turismo Evo rims for the stock gold 5 spokes and make my car look like bunta's car in the cartoon. :rolleyes:

Zephyr
02-10-2006, 02:47 AM
Better grab these quick before June, fast and furious is comming out! 240sx and corolla prices are gonna skyrocket!