PDA

View Full Version : Saw a COP do some "drifting"

SilverBoost
12-09-2005, 01:16 PM
Was coming down 16th yesterday and a cop was flying up past stopped traffic en route to a call and he had to go on the curb to get around, but he lost it a little and came over the curb sideways..... corrected it though and kept'er going. Closest thing I've seen a cop do to a "movie move" in calgary. :)

Must be nice though to drive a car thats equipped like that and if you break it, they'll fix it. :)

I think they shoudl offer more courses in driving techniques arounf Calgary as well... not just to people who are into it, but more for everday people, so they'd know how to get out of a situation.

If most of the drivers around Calgary tried that move the cop did. they would have overcorrected for sure and ended up into oncoming traffic.

BerserkerCatSplat
12-09-2005, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by SilverBoost

I think they shoudl offer more courses in driving techniques arounf Calgary as well... not just to people who are into it, but more for everday people, so they'd know how to get out of a situation.

If most of the drivers around Calgary tried that move the cop did. they would have overcorrected for sure and ended up into oncoming traffic.

That's a heck of a good idea. Instead of handing out more tickets to hit their extra $1 million quota, they could probably make a good chunk of that by teaching people how to actually control their vehicle.

And to anyone that thinks controlling a Panther-platform car (Crown Vic, etc.) in that sort of situation is easy, you're crazy. Those cars weight a ton and swing around like crazy if you lose rear-wheel traction, and the weight makes them a bit tricky to get back into shape.

Fuji
12-09-2005, 02:49 PM
Most people shouldn't be driving like that anyways, so a course technically is not the solution

b_t
12-09-2005, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

That's a heck of a good idea. Instead of handing out more tickets to hit their extra $1 million quota, they could probably make a good chunk of that by teaching people how to actually control their vehicle.

And to anyone that thinks controlling a Panther-platform car (Crown Vic, etc.) in that sort of situation is easy, you're crazy. Those cars weight a ton and swing around like crazy if you lose rear-wheel traction, and the weight makes them a bit tricky to get back into shape.

plus the cop edition one weighs about 300 pounds more, has a big compromise in terms of tires (all season run-flats), and as far as the newer crappy ones go, only a very modest bump in power. Car and Driver did a comparison test with the real deal, from California, and the cop car was actually much slower in every test except on the skidpad.

Clanche
12-09-2005, 02:52 PM

NO!!! If everyone was a good driver I wouldnt feel special.. I NEED to feel special :D

no kidding!.. are those things RWD? :dunno:

rip
12-09-2005, 02:59 PM
Last weekend in Edmonton near the Campus Earls I saw a cop do about a 300' burnout/drift. He was waiting at a red light, and just as his light went green and the other turned red some guy blew the red light.

At that point the cop just hammered on the gas making a left turn and taking after the guy who ran the light. IF any of you are familiar with the area he was still half sideways and spinning out almost untill the traffic lights across from the med-sci building heading towards the butterdome.

Pretty funny to see him bag the shit out of it nonetheless.

BerserkerCatSplat
12-09-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Clanche

no kidding!.. are those things RWD? :dunno:

You bet! RWD, 190HP & ~280 ft-lbs of torque depending on the year. They're boats, but they're boats with torque! :D

dericer
12-09-2005, 03:17 PM

You ain't kidding. I had a 1989 LTC. Holy crap did it show it's weight in winter. (nealry 5k lbs.) but with plenty of experience + Driver's Ed. (which consisted mostly of driving like an ass in the country as a kid, and AAA driving school) = no problem.

By far the worst RWD car I've owned for winter driving

Plenty of respect for CPS for handling those cars so well

SilverBoost
12-09-2005, 06:04 PM
My first car was a 1981 Pontiac Parisienne. Had a 315 in it I think? Who knows. But man that thing was a boat. You could run over a log on the highway and not even spill your coffee. :)

People gave me the right of way a lot as I recall.

Ended up selling it to a guy for $150.00. He used it to dirt oval race. Was funny to see the old family car stripped dpwn to one seat, a sheet metal floor pan, roll cage and backyard paintjob going aroudn a dirt track. :)

izzoblitzo
12-09-2005, 08:33 PM
haha the police driving in style. *L*

there was something happening downtown at lunch today time today... they had people divert onto 7th ave (ctrain tracks)

barbarian
12-10-2005, 03:24 AM
I saw somewhere someone said the CPS was acquiring, for testing, six Dodge Charger squad cars, anyone know if there's any truth to this?

gp36912
12-10-2005, 03:00 PM
hahaha i know what u mean :P those cars are boats for sure, ive had a few old police cars turned cabs come into my old work(mechanics shop) boy they are heavy, and it takes alot of effort to drive one like that :P

95EagleAWD
12-15-2005, 09:31 PM
I saw an EPS guy do the same thing today... Mached it around the corner and hung the back end out pretty good.

Lights and sirens and all, looked fuckin' awesome.

Tha VZA
12-16-2005, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Fuji
Most people shouldn't be driving like that anyways, so a course technically is not the solution

he didn't say to teach them HOW to drive like that, he said to teach them HOW TO CORRECT a situation WHEN YOU LOSE CONTROL....big difference

ciao

sexualbanana
12-16-2005, 01:56 AM
AMA offers winter driving courses. Pretty fun. They take you onto the driving course, pull the e-brake on you whenever they feel like (obviously in the winter).

AllGoNoShow
12-16-2005, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
AMA offers winter driving courses. Pretty fun. They take you onto the driving course, pull the e-brake on you whenever they feel like (obviously in the winter).

Yes they do :)
Hope to be taking that this winter, let you all know how it goes and if its worth it or not.

gp36912
12-17-2005, 05:50 PM
sounds like fun :P and a good learning experience

rollinv4l
12-19-2005, 01:12 AM
lol one time a buddy and i were witnesses to a hit and run/auto theft incident and one of the cops pulled up to where we were at asked us a few questions and then went to try to catch up with the fellons, he went to pull a U-turn and just gave her shit and spun around and took off(this was in winter) lol kinda fun to watch.

DC2
12-19-2005, 01:21 AM
last summer i saw CPS do that on residential streets! a total 180 like it was nothing!!

-- at work i drove a crown vic into an empty parking lot and i turned off traction control. and OMG the ass just swings! so much fun!! than i went onto a road. and i tapped the gas and i was pretty much going sideways..those cars are amazingly hard to drive without traction control

gp36912
12-20-2005, 02:16 AM
yup :P :werd: