PDA

View Full Version : Who's responsible?

got_a_question
12-09-2005, 04:09 PM
I bought a used JDM engine. I had it installed by someone the store recommended ($500). 30 day warranty. It's internals are messed up, and to prove it, I had to bring it Honda for a compression test ($120.00). So now the engine is here and the original seller is informing me they are not responsible for the 2nd install cost.

So now, I am going to have to pay another $500.00 to install an engine which has the possibility of not working.....

This seller sold me a bum engine and this transaction has not cost them one penny, yet I will be out $620.00.

I ask, does this make sense?

vietdood
12-09-2005, 04:13 PM
yes, the warranty only applies to the engine. that's the risk you take buying used engines

GoChris
12-09-2005, 04:27 PM
install it yourself

rc2002
12-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Did you make sure the engine was tested before you installed it? It's a good idea to test it before installing to avoid these complications...

Weapon_R
12-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Most warranties do not cover installation. You should have had it tested prior to installation.

got_a_question
12-09-2005, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
Did you make sure the engine was tested before you installed it? It's a good idea to test it before installing to avoid these complications...

Apparently every engine is compression tested prior to being sold, so I'm not sure what happened to this one....

heavyD
12-09-2005, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by got_a_question

Apparently every engine is compression tested prior to being sold, so I'm not sure what happened to this one....

Yeah right.:rolleyes: You bought a Junkyard Domestic Market engine, they are a roll of the dice. You should always replace all the gaskets as those engines have sat for years and the gaskets get brittle and crack.

mx73someday
12-09-2005, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Yeah right.:rolleyes: You bought a Junkyard Domestic Market engine, they are a roll of the dice. You should always replace all the gaskets as those engines have sat for years and the gaskets get brittle and crack.

Not all imported engines have sat for years, you shouldn't make a statement like that. I agree some importers might have engines that sat for a while, but saying that they all do is just myth-building.

Zero102
12-09-2005, 06:58 PM
As a rule, I will never buy a motor without leakdown and compression test results, and usually a video of the engine running if it's possible.
Unfortunately, taking the seller's word for it always has it's risks. I've had one engine shipped here, and before I even considered installing it, I filled it with oil, bolted the starter on, and compression tested it, to check their numbers.

Most warranties will not cover installation, from the sounds of it, they are covering one installation, but not the re-install? That's doing pretty good already.

got_a_question
12-09-2005, 07:11 PM
Actually I paid for the first install. They will not pay for the re-install due to the bum engine they sold me. I'm not looking for a free install....just the one I expected to pay for a working engine.

And I suppose you're right in not taking their word that the compression and leakdown test passed.....

Lesson learned I suppose, I just can't see how you run a business like that and expect repeat customers.

JAYMEZ
12-09-2005, 08:29 PM
^^ Hrmm I really dont think alot of the above people are posting accurate things.

Did they claim to test it before you got it installed? They said it was a good engine and they installed it , then you paid for it? You might have something on them , best thing to do is call the BBB and see if they can help you.

Zero102
12-09-2005, 08:56 PM
I would follow up with either the BBB or somebody who is in business with the seller. Either they outright lied to you, or something happened to the engine after they tested it.
Then again, there is a lot of interpretation on how an engine 'passes' a compression test, since the results are numeric...
"Compression?.... Present!" ;)
Perhaps their idea of acceptable is our idea of crap.
I don't think it's fair in the least, but if you are unable to prove they lied, then they are the ones in the superior legal position.
Best of luck.

ninjak84
12-09-2005, 09:05 PM
This is the classic argument between seller responsibility and "buyer beware"....

In my opinion it's the shops responsibility to make things right. What kind of place just sells a random motor then says 'fuck you'? Motors cost alot of money to do properly. Selling bunk motors to paying enthusiasts is bullshit.

:thumbsdow To whoever you bought it from