PDA

View Full Version : supergharger

fachie
02-26-2003, 05:58 PM
is it dumb to put a super charger on a civic dx engine?
how much horse?
how much $?

Ben
02-26-2003, 06:04 PM
go Turbo.

B18C
02-26-2003, 08:02 PM
I personally don't think it's worth it. Not for the price anyways. On a dx, you will probably get 30whp which is decent but with the tall gearing, I think a turbo would suit you better.

Ferio_vti
02-26-2003, 08:03 PM
See www.jacksonracing.com

Decent overall, but not as fun as turbo

Weapon_R
02-26-2003, 08:07 PM
Ain't nothin wrong with it...

Easy maintenance, good gains, and a good product (JRSC) - don't think you can go wrong...

XylathaneGTR
02-26-2003, 10:17 PM
I'd rather go turbo...but thats just me...

The SC is power right from Idle...but isint designed for mad high revs...(and Civics...imports in general,tend to have higher revving engines.) and can kill an engines higher revving ability...

Turbo's on the other hand...Need higher revs (hence more exhaust gasses) To give out more boost, and take time to spool up and deliver more power...but once their spooled, their delivering strong boost right till redline

Just weighing out Pro's and Cons for yah...
Also, if your lacking teh BlingBlang...look for a used SC, sometimes if your lucky, you can find one in nice - real good condition, for pretty cheap.

You asked about Power Gains...It's all dependant on the amount of boost your running. its common, w/ stock internals, to see under 1 bar...8 psi is pretty common. Of course with more boost, comes more power...but it can have negative effects and wear on your engine if you dont have the proper mateniance etc.

I'd still go for the turbo tho...
Just mah 2 cents.

hjr
02-26-2003, 10:40 PM
Engine Swap w/ tranny. Far better idea than $$$ into a relatively low HP motor. IMO

2000impreza
02-26-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR

The SC is power right from Idle...but isint designed for mad high revs...(and Civics...imports in general,tend to have higher revving engines.) and can kill an engines higher revving ability...

it depends on the size and type of supercharger. whether its roots, centrifugal, or screw.

Turbo's on the other hand...Need higher revs (hence more exhaust gasses) To give out more boost, and take time to spool up and deliver more power...but once their spooled, their delivering strong boost right till redline

no turbo's don't need high revs. its about picking the right size for your application.

B18C
02-26-2003, 10:50 PM

My supercharger pulls hard all the way to redline so I don't know what you are talking about man.

JRSC is a great product. I just don't think he'll be happy with it on a d16. He still won't be able to keep up with mustangs and such.

Integra Type R
02-26-2003, 10:51 PM
vortec makes a nice supercharger set up, check it out!!

GTS Jeff
02-26-2003, 11:23 PM

Just weighing out Pro's and Cons for yah...
Also, if your lacking teh BlingBlang...look for a used SC, sometimes if your lucky, you can find one in nice - real good condition, for pretty cheap.

You asked about Power Gains...It's all dependant on the amount of boost your running. its common, w/ stock internals, to see under 1 bar...8 psi is pretty common. Of course with more boost, comes more power...but it can have negative effects and wear on your engine if you dont have the proper mateniance etc.

I'd still go for the turbo tho...
Just mah 2 cents. lol i wouldnt call the d16 a high revver by any means

Glowrider
02-26-2003, 11:41 PM
It's my opinion that turbo's are much better for small displacement engines.

buh_buh
02-27-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Integra Type R
vortec makes a nice supercharger set up, check it out!!
I don't know how many times I've said this, but here goes.......

If your gonna go Vortech, you may as well go turbo. You'll end up spending the same amount and see more gains out of a turbo.

Glowrider
02-27-2003, 12:39 AM
If your gonna go Vortech, you may as well go turbo. You'll end up spending the same amount and see more gains out of a turbo.

So true. I've never been impressed with the results from supercharging small engines. Really weak for the money you spend, IMO.

There's this guy at the hangouts with an SVT Focus, he keeps telling me that he's going to put the JRSC on his Focus and run 12's all day. Haha.

Oooohhh...4-banger dreams.

B18C
02-27-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh

I don't know how many times I've said this, but here goes.......

:werd:

So true. I've never been impressed with the results from supercharging small engines. Really weak for the money you spend, IMO.

I'm very happy with my JRSC'd GSR

ecstasy_civic
02-27-2003, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
lol i wouldnt call the d16 a high revver by any means

are you drunk?
talk to captin dirty about high revving d16's, where do you think i got the idea from?:dunno:

Ed the SOHC
02-27-2003, 12:52 AM
lol i wouldnt call the d16 a high revver by any means

:confused: I'm assuming you're talking about the non-vtec engine.

ecstasy_civic
02-27-2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Ed the SOHC

:confused: I'm assuming you're talking about the non-vtec engine.

:werd: my thoughts exactly

ya i forgot my redline was 7200 RPM!

Impreza
02-27-2003, 01:19 AM
engine swap should be on ur list!! buy a b18b and turbo it!!

hjr
02-27-2003, 01:34 AM
I said that above .

GTS Jeff
02-27-2003, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Ed the SOHC

:confused: I'm assuming you're talking about the non-vtec engine. which is what our boy here happens to have..

fachie
02-27-2003, 08:21 PM
so many of you say turbo whats the price diff?
i ve herd that turbos kill your car way faster then sc.
so im still wondering about price?turbo?sc?
i thought about a swap but i feel its too $ and im selling my car next year.also i dont want to through a new eng in because myn is mint 65,000 km and i got an intake and headers and full ex so i was just wondering if its worth it to make it faster? i dont want to pay lots unless im going to notice the gains

syeve
02-27-2003, 08:27 PM
heres something interesting I found in this months road and track...

"Exhaust gas is used to drive one half of a turbocharger - the turbine - while the intake air is moved alone the other other half - the compressor. While the turbo halves are physically quite close to each other, and some exhaust heat is transferred through the common shaft to the intake side, the effect is minimal. Furthermore, the exhaust and intake paths are completely separate, so, like other superchargers, the turbo also uses ambiant air for its intake charge.
More important is the effeciency with which each design pumps air. Roots blowers are relatively poor at this. They beat and shear the air into discrete packets with their rotor, causing turbulence and heat. The centrifugal impeller used in turbos does impart some impact on air flow, but considerably less so than the roots. Therefore it heats the incoming air charge LESS."

Ben
02-27-2003, 08:34 PM
Its all about tuning.

B18C
02-27-2003, 09:21 PM
If you are going to sell the car next year I would hold off and save your money. Any money you put into the car now you will NEVER get back out when you try to sell it.

B18C
02-27-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by syeve
heres something interesting I found in this months road and track...

"Exhaust gas is used to drive one half of a turbocharger - the turbine - while the intake air is moved alone the other other half - the compressor. While the turbo halves are physically quite close to each other, and some exhaust heat is transferred through the common shaft to the intake side, the effect is minimal. Furthermore, the exhaust and intake paths are completely separate, so, like other superchargers, the turbo also uses ambiant air for its intake charge.
More important is the effeciency with which each design pumps air. Roots blowers are relatively poor at this. They beat and shear the air into discrete packets with their rotor, causing turbulence and heat. The centrifugal impeller used in turbos does impart some impact on air flow, but considerably less so than the roots. Therefore it heats the incoming air charge LESS."

Is that for a strict Roots design? I know that the Eaton-Roots design (where there is a slight helical twist on the rotors) is supposed to be much better.

syeve
02-27-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by B18C

Is that for a strict Roots design? I know that the Eaton-Roots design (where there is a slight helical twist on the rotors) is supposed to be much better.

sorry dude, you lost me...I just remember a while back people were saying that turbos downfall was that they create too much more heat than supercharger because they run off exhaust gases...as far as different types of supercharger I really have no idea...:dunno:

hjr
02-28-2003, 11:43 PM
Im just going to add this to the discussion

READ THIS> VERY COOL (http://http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=11313)

And a supercharger too boot!!!

Redlyne_mr2
03-01-2003, 12:00 AM
Remember back in the ABcars.net days when we had that huge supercharger vs. turbo thread and I kept shooting down superchargers and was so pro turbo yet no one would seem to agree with me...my how times have changed:D

syeve
03-01-2003, 02:11 AM
what the hell happened to ab cars?

rage2
03-01-2003, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by sivikish
so many of you say turbo whats the price diff?
i ve herd that turbos kill your car way faster then sc.

That's cuz it's easy to get greedy with the turbos...

"let's turn that boost up for the next run!"

B18C
03-01-2003, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Remember back in the ABcars.net days when we had that huge supercharger vs. turbo thread and I kept shooting down superchargers and was so pro turbo yet no one would seem to agree with me...my how times have changed:D

I seem to remember that most people were still pro turbo back then. Just me and MaxBoost were the vocal s/c supporters. Which I still am BTW but i think Max Boost may have gone over to the darkside.

buh_buh
03-01-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Remember back in the ABcars.net days when we had that huge supercharger vs. turbo thread and I kept shooting down superchargers and was so pro turbo yet no one would seem to agree with me...my how times have changed:D I think it was more of a MR2 vs. AMG debate than a Supercharger vs. Turbocharger debate. haha. Well it ended up being that way at least.

Hollywood
03-01-2003, 01:43 PM
Oh boy here I go..

Wrong. Vortec centrificals pull hard all the way to redline...

Wrong again...all depends on the turbo as some may pull hard really fast, ie: full bost by 3000 RPM (you wont notice any lag), as bigger ones will pull till redline and beyond...it'as all in the application and turbo sizing.

Yes, also you boost your honda....your motors life expectency goes down no matter what, and the possibility of detonation.

three.eighteen.
03-01-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by rage2

That's cuz it's easy to get greedy with the turbos...

"let's turn that boost up for the next run!"

nah, its when youre pulled up at the lights, some guy asks you to race and then he'll notice you look off for a sec and see you adjust something in the cabin...striking fear into the heart of ricers!

GTS Jeff
03-01-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood
Oh boy here I go.. haha bs busters rule! :thumbsup:

Hollywood
03-02-2003, 03:21 AM
haha bs busters rule! :thumbsup:

LOL.:werd:

XylathaneGTR
03-02-2003, 07:57 PM
Awww.
I was talking in general...
I guess i was wrong tho...Damnit.

B18C
03-03-2003, 01:17 AM
Awww.
I was talking in general...
I guess i was wrong tho...Damnit.

Don't worry about it too much. It's a pretty common misconception. Besides, I don't think Vortech makes a kit for the dx.