PDA

View Full Version : Car wont start, what part of the starting system might be fried?

glennc
12-12-2005, 02:23 PM
Okay, so heres what happened... Go to chinook mall, car started fine. Come out to car, it just clicks once when i turn the key, and once when i turn it back. I checked all the obvious stuff, fuses, ect... had to bump start car down parking ramp at chinook.

Ive been bump starting the car every day now always parking on a hill, but im wondering, could it be the starter, ignition switch, lock cylinder, has anyone experienced this? 91 EF...

rc2002
12-12-2005, 02:32 PM
Sounds like your alternator or some part of your charging system if you're able to pushstart it.

glennc
12-12-2005, 02:34 PM
Oh it has tons of power... 12.7 volts. I used my boost box too... its something in the starting system.

EK 2.0
12-12-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
Sounds like your alternator or some part of your charging system if you're able to pushstart it.

Even with a bunk starter you would be able to push start it.

If there is clicking, then the starter "sounds" ok. But perhaps the battery, and Alt not providing nor holding a charge. Take the car to any parts store they can run a starter/charging system test...and proceed from there...

Perhaps the bendix not engaging the flywheel or something??

glennc
12-12-2005, 06:11 PM
I ran a test on the batt it has 1400 CA... my charging system is just fine... When i listen clost when i turn the key its a buzzing almost... very quiet. I think im just going to replace the starter perhaps.

I cant really take the car anywhere as i cant push start it myself, cant get enough speed on my own.

Mazstyle
12-12-2005, 06:43 PM
It's definitely the starter. If you hear a click, when you try to start it chances are your relay's good, next I would check the battery and starter wires, they could be corroded. And lastly before pulling it I would hit it with a hammer, sometimes that can free up a sticky solenoid. If all that fails just get it tested at a parts store.

Aleannex
12-13-2005, 10:19 PM
Sounds like your starter's solenoid is not conducting power to the starter motor. The contacts inside the solenoid arc and spark everytime they're used.Depending on the amount of times a starter is used in the span of a vehicle's life, all this sparking, will cause the contacts inside the solenoid to wear and sometimes fail to conduct battery power through to the motor part of the starter which will give you the click sound without the cranking. In some cases you can try turning the key to the start position many times until it actually cranks like one in 10-15 times.

In other words...YOU NEED A STARTER!

glennc
12-13-2005, 10:31 PM
Yeah, Its apparantly really easy to pull, take off intake and 2 14mm bolts... I live a block from a parts store so Ill take it out tomorrow and walk it in to get tested.

If thats the case, ill go budget since im only gonna have this engine for 4 months and get 1 or 2 pick your part starters and test them before install.

I thought it might have been battery, tested it, i thought it might have been the alarms starter interrupt so i disconnected the alarm's brain... no dice...