PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip Ideas

Kirbs17
12-13-2005, 02:51 AM
Im currently in the process of planning a little road trip to the U.S. this summer. Ive seen decent amounts of Canada (camping with the rents way back when), and would like to see some of the U.S. If you have any experiences, ideas, routes, points of interest, etc etc etc, post em up.

Some guidlines, to help you get a better idea:
1 week total, so probably somewhere obtainable within 2 days driving, or 14-18 hours total, each way.
Preferably a larger city as a destination, although I think splitting the time at different places would be cool.

Other than that, go wild. Im really down for any suggestions. Thanks guys!

The Rider
12-13-2005, 02:58 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82922

You could look at this as an example. Pretty detailed run down of things he saw and did.

Personally I'm hoping to do a similar trip down the west coast and maybe over to Vegas sometime this summer.

Raz2
12-13-2005, 03:02 AM
Heres the trip I've done once, major fun :)

Down thru the Dakotas - North (nada) - South (crazy landscape!) - go west for a bit and hit the I15 and take it all the way to vegas, hit up area 51, hop on over to the grand ol' canyon in arizona, drive up the coast all the way from california, oregon, and washingon - amazing places in both north cali and oregon, just amazing!

- Rasmus

Kirbs17
12-13-2005, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by The Rider
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82922

You could look at this as an example. Pretty detailed run down of things he saw and did.

Personally I'm hoping to do a similar trip down the west coast and maybe over to Vegas sometime this summer.

I remember that thread. Yohan put a lot of energy into those descriptions, and its defiantly helpful. Any ideas for a shortened version?

Originally posted by Raz2
Heres the trip I've done once, major fun :)

Down thru the Dakotas - North (nada) - South (crazy landscape!) - go west for a bit and hit the I15 and take it all the way to vegas, hit up area 51, hop on over to the grand ol' canyon in arizona, drive up the coast all the way from california, oregon, and washingon - amazing places in both north cali and oregon, just amazing!

- Rasmus

This possible within a week?

Raz2
12-13-2005, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Kirbs17

This possible within a week?

Yuppers, PM me if you want map with descriptions and shit :)

- Rasmus

Ben
12-13-2005, 10:27 AM
Bens Choose your own Adventure:

I have done the following combinations and all roads at least a half dozen times, and if you want to go down into the US for a bit, this is my recommendation. Lots of Kick ass places to stop and camp, state parks, and great roads.

Go down to Great Falls MT Via HWY 2 to sweet grass Boarder Crossing and then Interstate 15.

After visiting this Wicked little place (be sure to Have dinner at Eddies Supper Club) Continue South on the 15 to Butte, and then North on the 90 which takes you from Montana, through Idaho, eventually takes you to Couer D'Alene and into Washington State and Spokane.

Now here's where the decision comes into play on how much time you have left...

Lots to go, Option A

Getting time to go home, Option B

OPTION A:

From Spokane, take the 395 North (there's a kick assed lake about 45 min north of Spokane called Loon Lake, it ownz, they have these cool little cabins for rent, an oldscool arcade and boats for rent. (think The Great Outdoors w/ John Candy)

Heading North on the 395, you'll reach Chewelah, keep heading north on the 395, and you'll pass through Colville, Kettle Falls, Across a bridge, and then over onto HWY 20 West. This road you're now on KICKS ABSOLUTE ASS!!!!!!! Awesome condition and super windy, but FAST! It heads into Republic. Make sure you have good brakes, as there is a mega long assed decent at the end of it, kinda like going into Golden.

Continue on the 20 all the way to Tonasket and then head North on the 97 up to the Boarder and Osoyoos.

Welcome to the wonderful Okanagen Valley

Penticton is 45 minutes from Osoyoos, and rules.

From Penticton, Head North on the 97 to Kelowna, and then Vernon. Fron Vernon, take the 97A to Sicamous. You're now on the #1 and more importantly, the Shuswap region.

Hwy 1 to Revelstoke, Golden, Lake Louise, Banff, Canmore, Calgary, You're home buddy.

Option B:

Head back through Coeur D'Alene, and then take the 95 North through the Quaint little town of Athol, which leads to Sandpoint.

From Sandpoint, take Hwy 2 through Bonners Ferry, and then take the 95 to the #1 and up through to the USA/Canada border. Creston BC is on the other side. Go tour the Kokanee factory. From Creston, take the #3 to the 95 and then the #3 again Towards Cranbrook. From Cranbrook, Maintain your east direction, and you'll be in Fernie, Maintain your North Direction and you'll be in Invermere and Radium, hop on the 93 (which rules) and you're on the Trans Canada. Banff, Canmore, Calgary, You're Home Buddy.

Kirbs17
12-13-2005, 12:24 PM
:rofl: :rofl: I used to love those choose your own adventure books as a kid! Thanks for the suggestion Ben. They both sound sweet. #1 sounds just about right, not overly cramped, with lots to see/do.

hockeybronx
12-13-2005, 01:56 PM
I've gone on two pretty major road trips these past few years.

First one:
Destination: New York City, New York
KMS: ~8500
Length: 17 days
Route: Alberta> Saskatchewan> North Dakota> Minnesota> Iowa> Wisconsin> Illinois> Michigan> Indiana> Pennsylvania> New York> Ontario> Minnesota> Manitoba> Saskatchewan> Alberta

Second one:
Destination: San Antonio, Texas
KMS ~9500
Length 18 days
Route: Alberta> Montana> Wyoming> Colorado> Oklahoma> Texas> Swam in Gulf of Mexico> New Mexico> Colorado> Utah> Idaho> Montana> Alberta

Both were unbelievable experiences, I got to go on a tour bus which is good because I didn't want to pile on the kms on my car. This spring I am hoping to do another big tour, probably with a rental car but we'll see how it pans out.

Road trips are all about forgetting about all the petty details and just going for it. If you get paranoid about the money, or what you are doing and all that then it's not a lot of fun. Just grab some friends and hit the open road :thumbsup:

Kirbs17
12-13-2005, 02:17 PM
Yea, its definatly not about the money or anything like that, Im just collecting suggestions.

mr.loco
12-13-2005, 03:34 PM
fly down to orlando, rent a nice car 300c or a full suze suv then drive to miami and to daytona along the ocean everything is only a couple hors apart best time to go would be on july 4 the best fireworks youyll see in your life and after lots of car shows tons of fun and stop by the space shuttle

Kirbs17
12-13-2005, 03:47 PM
I prefer driving over flying. Sitting in a car with 3 close buds, listening to music, doing shit at your own pace owns sitting on an airplane for 5 hours. Thanks though

Raz2
12-13-2005, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx

First one:
Destination: New York City, New York
KMS: ~8500
Length: 17 days
Route: Alberta> Saskatchewan> North Dakota> Minnesota> Iowa> Wisconsin> Illinois> Michigan> Indiana> Pennsylvania> New York> Ontario> Minnesota> Manitoba> Saskatchewan> Alberta

How about this one I did last summer :)

First one:
Destination: Kalamazoo, MI - Via Halifax, NS
KMS: ~12600
Length: 10 days
Route: Alberta> Saskatchewan> North Dakota> Minnesota> Iowa> Wisconsin> Michigan> Ontario> Quebec> Maine> New Brunswick> Nova Scotia> New Brunswick> Maine> New Hampshire> Massachussets> New York> Ontario> Michigan> Indiana> Illinois> Wisconsin> Minnesota> North Dakota> Saskatchewan> Alberta

*Phew*

The Avis dealer looked at me kinda weird when I got home...

Oh, this was me staying in Kalamazoo Michigan for 5 days ;)

- Rasmus

hockeybronx
12-13-2005, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Raz2
The Avis dealer looked at me kinda weird when I got home...

Not to hijack this thread, just to add to it... but do rental companies strictly charge just their weekly rates or do they charge additional fees for kilometers put on the car?

Raz2
12-13-2005, 05:56 PM
Well. this was a two week rental, and it was cheaper renting it for two "Weeks" than renting it a week + 3 days. :dunno:
None the less, the agreement was with UNLIMITED Km in north america. :) And they held by it, even though the car REALLY wanted an oil change ;) ~10000 over due :D

- Rasmus