PDA

View Full Version : first time experience being handcuffed..

mr.13secprobe
12-13-2005, 06:08 AM
well last night on the way going home from the school, i got pulled over by a campus security, he claimed that i was running over the red lights at very high speed.

Well I could have stopped when i see the green light turning yellow, but it was 2:30am, there was no car around, and i was tired :( so I decided to give it a little more gas, but yea the red light was turned before i leave the intersection.(but isn't this what most people do??)
So this is how I got pulled over.

So like every cop does, i handed over my registration and pink card, but i didn't have my license with me as i picked up the parcel the other day and left the license in the other jacekt.

Then he went back to the car and found out that my license was expired which i wasn't awere of. To be more specific my lincense had been expired for exactly 12DAYS.

Here is the thing that really pissed me off. He told to step out of the car and put my hands on the vehicle.
"You have been arrested for having the expired license"
I was like "wat??" (I had no idea that my license was expired)
And he handcuffed me infront my girl friend and a friend, which was a really embarrasing.
And threw me into the back of his seat, and tried to scare me with all the BS("we r going to take you down to the office and your car will be impounded blah blah"). He also asked me if I wanna call the lawyear and so on..I was like "for wat"

After a long investigation, he said "i can release you here" I fell like shit..I was treated like i was some kind of serious criminal, not to mention that my hands were tied up for 40mins.(it seriously hurt! when you try to position yourself with your hands back tied up and on the fiberglassed back seats)

I ended up having two tickets
one for the license,$240, and the other one for the red light,$280.

So here my questions go..
As most of university students know..December gotta be the painful month for us..I have been extremely busy with 7 tests..and never thought about renewing the license and it's been expired for 12days..can this be excuse to fight in the court?

I got into the intersection when the light was yellow and the light was red before i leave the intersection. Is this really what redlight ticket is?

Can I also fight with how he treated me?

Oh and the last thing that really pissed me off..it wasn't even a local police it was just a campus security!!

shakalaka
12-13-2005, 06:13 AM
lol...wat the hell!
I didnt know rent a cops could arrest you.
You can try fighting saying that you were busy and everything, but I doubt it is going to do much.

jaysas_63
12-13-2005, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
lol...wat the hell!
I didnt know rent a cops could arrest you.
:werd: ...wow, i had no idea campus security had that much power....well rest assured i will deff. be more careful around them

now to your subject....may i be the first to say: BS!

that is absolute bull shit, they HANDCUFF a kid thats been studying till 2;30 in the morning, for having an expired license, and barely running a red...that is just fucking stupid.

IMO it is unfair, and unjust to handcuff someone in a situation like this, that action is not justified, and i belive it to be abuse. Please do go to court, i think the judge will be easy on you, however i doubt you will get out of the tickets, because they are both quite fair, after all you did run a red, and your license was expired....but man was that cop an ass

heavyD
12-13-2005, 08:42 AM
You are driving through red lights without a valid driver's license? You should thank god that it wasn't a real police officer that pulled you over or you would have really been embarressed in front of your girlfriend.:rolleyes:

rc2002
12-13-2005, 08:53 AM
Exact same thing happened to me at the U of A campus (except for the handcuffing part) I think it's probably the same campus security officer too!

He probably goes home at the end of the night thinking he made the University a safer place by pulling people over for running a yellow light in an empty intersection at 2:30am.

Anyway, that's a kick in the teeth. I'm not so sure the CP will show any leniency though. I certainly didn't get any on mine because the campus cowboy wrote a huge essay about how dangerously I was driving.

/////AMG
12-13-2005, 09:26 AM
You guys say running a yellow light in the middle of the night like it's no big deal, as if it's normal.

It isn't. Even though it may be dead at night, there could be someone else who is probably doing the same thing (sees your yellow, knows hes gonna get a green so he doesn't stop), you never know.

Anyway, I don't think you should have been handcuffed you, but the rest is fair enough.

SOAB
12-13-2005, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by heavyD
You are driving through red lights without a valid driver's license? You should thank god that it wasn't a real police officer that pulled you over or you would have really been embarressed in front of your girlfriend.:rolleyes:

a REAL officer would have used some discretion and had him just wait in his car while the cop wrote the ticket...

hand-cuffing for a moving violation is retarded...

Lexxan
12-13-2005, 09:54 AM
You have 2 witnesses in your car against 1 cop. Lawsuit. One criminal against him for wrongful arrest and 1 civil starting at $300,000 for embarassment in front of your friends and family. Even if he wins the criminal he's fucked in civil. Get rich and get this fucking stupid cop who is having a powertrip broke.. and hopefully make him lose his job.

PS If you entered the intersection while it is yellow it is not a red light ticket violation..
I can't remember what the actual name of it is but there's a ticket for blowing a yellow late when the cop decides at his discretion that you could have stopped. Once again you have 2 witnesses. Please call this one.. even msg me and I will help you financially with a lawyer to fuck this piece of shit cop over.

three.eighteen.
12-13-2005, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by /////AMG
You guys say running a yellow light in the middle of the night like it's no big deal, as if it's normal.

It isn't. Even though it may be dead at night, there could be someone else who is probably doing the same thing (sees your yellow, knows hes gonna get a green so he doesn't stop), you never know.

Anyway, I don't think you should have been handcuffed you, but the rest is fair enough.

last night, around midnight i watched a cps squad car run the canyon meadows/mcleod offramp east bound light (it takes a while to turn) on a blatant red. It stopped, decided it was taking too long and no cherries or anything, just cruised through, then proceeded to stop at the following light (bonaventure/canyon meadows)

I'm not sure of my exact point, but i think that needed to be brought up

Regarding the issue at hand, that is friggin BS, talk to some law students, handcuffing seems a little excessive in terms of force, wouldn't hurt to say he pushed you around a bit too ;)

GoChris
12-13-2005, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Lexxan
You have 2 witnesses in your car against 1 cop. Lawsuit. One criminal against him for wrongful arrest and 1 civil starting at $300,000 for embarassment in front of your friends and family. Even if he wins the criminal he's fucked in civil. Get rich and get this fucking stupid cop who is having a powertrip broke.. and hopefully make him lose his job.

A lawsuit....give me a fucking break. That's all we need is more civil suits for bullshit reasons cause someone hurt another persons feelings. Take it to AMERICA buddy. Frivolous lawsuits piss me off.

People get handcuffed ALL the time for detaining purposes at the scene. Watch some Cops.

Aleks
12-13-2005, 10:08 AM
wait this was campus security? LOL. you don't have to even stop for those guys at UofC... I never did hehe. They eventually just stop following you. :rofl:

Lexxan
12-13-2005, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by GoChris

A lawsuit....give me a fucking break. That's all we need is more civil suits for bullshit reasons cause someone hurt another persons feelings. Take it to AMERICA buddy. Frivolous lawsuits piss me off.

People get handcuffed ALL the time for detaining purposes at the scene. Watch some Cops.

he got handcuffed for not having his license renewed.. ya ok he deserved that.

maybe we don't have the full story but on his post.. if that exact thing happened to me as stated is his post there would be a lawyer contacted today and subpoena issued asap.

dufferson
12-13-2005, 10:20 AM
I believe the rule of thumb with them is that they are not allowed to chase you, they can only defer to a higher power, aka the po po. Also I think they're taking it personally with those hit and runs last year around the same time in the morning, he could be an off duty cop etc etc...

Now when the train gets off and the lemmings all file into the university, I never see a crossing guard or anything. They're usually jacking off in the booth instead, but thats another thread.

jaysas_63
12-13-2005, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by GoChris

i see your point, but i wouldn't call this frivolous.....

a good police officer would have NEVER cuffed a kid for running a yellow too late, thats just stupid, and its a blatant abuse of power.

i really think that this officer should be punished in some way, if not by the department, then by a lawsuit.

and i don't know what you are talking about when you say that people get hand cuffed ALL the time. i have never been cuffed, none of my friends have ever been cuffed, no one in my family, or extended family has been cuffed, it really should only be used if deemed necessary, i.e. the person is a flight risk, or poses a danger to the officer, how is a kid coming back from a night of studying at the university, being pulled over for running a yellow light, a threat in any way?

Foz
12-13-2005, 10:35 AM
Power hungry...

You deserve the fine, but not the handcuffing.

And I thought this thread was 'kinky' at first..

:thumbsdow

Euro_Trash
12-13-2005, 11:15 AM
My first time being handcuffed wasn't too bad... but my girlfriend is gentle...

J/K;)

mr.13secprobe
12-13-2005, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Lexxan

he got handcuffed for not having his license renewed.. ya ok he deserved that.

maybe we don't have the full story but on his post.. if that exact thing happened to me as stated is his post there would be a lawyer contacted today and subpoena issued asap.

Yes You do have my full story right there.
I tried to not to miss anything upthere.

He also asked me when he was handcuffing me if i have any fines that i didn't pay. And I said no.
Only ticket in my entire life was the one speed light camera.

mr.13secprobe
12-13-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by jaysas_63

it really should only be used if deemed necessary, i.e. the person is a flight risk, or poses a danger to the officer, how is a kid coming back from a night of studying at the university, being pulled over for running a yellow light, a threat in any way?

exactly..he even searched my pockets if i have any sharp things in my pocket on the street while my hands were handcuffed

lastprodigy
12-13-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash

J/K;)

:rofl: :poosie:

ntv1980
12-13-2005, 01:05 PM
What's the difference between a Campus Security and a regular Security???

I thought only ***police officer*** can be allowed to do such things, i.e., to enforce the law in a lawful way. Heck, even a police officer can be sued for using excessive force, if proven.

A Campus Security's job is to protect staffs/students/property on Campus property from any harms, and possibly giving out ***university (private)*** parking ticket.

I don't think a security can have any authority to do what they did to you. Only a police officer have that authority. A security can contact a police officer to carry out an arrest if needed, or be a witness in court, but not to perform any Police Officer's action.

mr.13secprobe
12-13-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash

J/K;)

:whipped: :D

GTS Jeff
12-13-2005, 01:31 PM
haha those jerks will abuse their limited powers to no end just to feel better about how they're not actually cops. Next time, don't pull over, just flip them the bird and keep driving until you're off campus.

I was reading a Gateway article where the writer went on a ridealong with campus 5-0. They tailed a drunk driver, but the drunk drove off campus, and after that, campus security didn't do a damn thing.

Campus 5-0, being peace officers, are also not allowed to engage in pursuits, so if you drive your ass away, they're not allowed to follow. Just try to get somewhere hidden in case they call the real cops.

Kirbs17
12-13-2005, 02:31 PM
:werd: . I cant beleive campus security would do that... Thats weak.

retro-steve
12-13-2005, 02:45 PM
well here's some facts straight from your local beyond rent-a-cop.

-handcuffing can only be done when the person poses a danger to themself, the officer or is a flight risk.

-the officer MUST tell you why you are being arrested and advise you that you may contact a lawyer (sounds like he did it)

-a security guard only has the same rights as property owners. BUT if you are seen committing a summary or indictable offence you may be arrested elsewhere as a citizens arrest (normal citizens may only make a citizens arrest on a witnessed indictable offence)

-you can be handcuffed ONLY if you are being arrested and being turned over to the police. they have NO RIGHT to arrest you and then release you. if they cuff you they've made a commitment.

now since a traffic offence is neither a summary or indictable offence under the CCC he couldn't arrest you for that. i think that driving without a license is an offence under the CCC though. i dunno PM me if you have any questions. i fucking hate these fags who have the attitude that they're real cops and do shit like this. pisses me off to no end.

GQBalla
12-13-2005, 03:50 PM
what the hell....stupid rent a cop sue the bastard!

mr.13secprobe
12-13-2005, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by retro-steve
well here's some facts straight from your local beyond rent-a-cop.

-handcuffing can only be done when the person poses a danger to themself, the officer or is a flight risk.

-the officer MUST tell you why you are being arrested and advise you that you may contact a lawyer (sounds like he did it)

-a security guard only has the same rights as property owners. BUT if you are seen committing a summary or indictable offence you may be arrested elsewhere as a citizens arrest (normal citizens may only make a citizens arrest on a witnessed indictable offence)

-you can be handcuffed ONLY if you are being arrested and being turned over to the police. they have NO RIGHT to arrest you and then release you. if they cuff you they've made a commitment.

now since a traffic offence is neither a summary or indictable offence under the CCC he couldn't arrest you for that. i think that driving without a license is an offence under the CCC though. i dunno PM me if you have any questions. i fucking hate these fags who have the attitude that they're real cops and do shit like this. pisses me off to no end.

pmed :)

Go4Long
12-13-2005, 06:30 PM
you're driving with no liscense, and the liscense that you don't even have with you is expired...I'd say you got off lucky by him not impounding the car and costing you another $400(but then again, to do that he woulda had to get an actual cop to the scene, and actual cops tend to just make security guards feel like they're useless)

robpark
12-13-2005, 06:40 PM
PS If you entered the intersection while it is yellow it is not a red light ticket violation..

It is my understanding that if you are in the intersection when the light turns red, you are a perfect candidate for a ticket. THat is basically the principle that red light cameras work on.

talonboi
12-13-2005, 06:44 PM
an officer once told me that he can issue at a ticket for running a yellow light, and it'lll be the same amount as a red light ticket

logix
12-13-2005, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by talonboi
an officer once told me that he can issue at a ticket for running a yellow light, and it'lll be the same amount as a red light ticket

When I ran a yellow light a few months ago, my fine was $125, or was it $135.. One or the other. 13secprobes red light ticket was $280 :nut:

Toms-SC
12-13-2005, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

dot

Toms-SC
12-13-2005, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
what the hell....stupid rent a cop sue the bastard!

GREAT IDEA!

Lexxan
12-13-2005, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by robpark

It is my understanding that if you are in the intersection when the light turns red, you are a perfect candidate for a ticket. THat is basically the principle that red light cameras work on.

there's a sensor before the intersection and you only get a ticket if you cross it on a red.

i've blown tons of yellows on red light camera intersections and never been ticketed

mr.13secprobe
12-13-2005, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long
you're driving with no liscense, and the liscense that you don't even have with you is expired...I'd say you got off lucky by him not impounding the car and costing you another $400(but then again, to do that he woulda had to get an actual cop to the scene, and actual cops tend to just make security guards feel like they're useless)

The car itself is registered and insured. Why would they impound my vehicle unless I stole the car.

dresden_k
12-13-2005, 09:43 PM
I hate to rag on Campus Security in general because when I'm leaving the Den and there's a horde of drunken brawlers outside I like knowing that the Campus Po' like nothing more than to send them home, but sometimes I think they do go a bit too far overboard.

I was leaving the library one night around 9pm and it was dark as it was late October. A Lexus IS300 came into the small turnaround cul-de-sac thing in front of the Den and mad e a tight, non-stunty U-turn. However, because the turn was tight and that car is RWD, one of the back tires made the tinest of squeaks. Four officers just happened to be standing there and they promptly walked up to the car and approached the driver who got out to meet someone.

The officers, one specifically, a younger guy in his early 20's, were practically yelling things like "Hey what's your problem? You got a problem driving here?" and they ran his plates and lectured him while surrounding him. He kind of turned away and they didn't much like that either.

We're not talking about a massive doughnut with burnout. Just a U-turn in a cul-de-sac.

Not sure what ended up happening.

theken
12-13-2005, 09:59 PM
those guys sound like pricks, glad im not smart enough to make it to university

Celica TVS3
12-13-2005, 10:16 PM
Haha, I would call the campus security office and find out who his boss is, tell his boss the story. Then tell him you're going to seek legal advice, report it to the school, and call the news. You won't get anything from the campus cop but the guy might lose his job.

Teggy2nr
12-13-2005, 10:40 PM
''You have been arrested for having an expired licence'':rofl:
gotta love those bacon bits on power trips

SilverBoost
12-14-2005, 01:52 PM
He's been waiting his whole life to use those cuffs.

Might I add, yet another retarded law related story in this city.

okedok
12-14-2005, 02:07 PM
I'm almost certain campus security can't issue tickets for moving violations. And they for sure can't issue tickets for unregistered motor vehicles. :dunno:

bart
12-14-2005, 03:38 PM
ahah this is a good read, i never had the chance yet to get chased by these guys, i cant wait :) i wonder if i could lap them around the u of c ;p ahahahah

GQNammer
12-14-2005, 08:33 PM
Security guard. "Sir. You are parked more than 3 feet from the curb. I'm issuing you a warning."

Hank Hill. "You're not a cop."

Security guard. "That's why it's just a warning."

hahah why couldn't your situation have been like that.

Seanith
12-14-2005, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
wait this was campus security? LOL. you don't have to even stop for those guys at UofC... I never did hehe. They eventually just stop following you. :rofl:

Can you just peace out on the U of C guys? Thats what I probably would do but it would be nice to know its perfectly legal lol

darkbanana
12-15-2005, 12:02 AM
U of C popo is a joke, me and some friends were filming a school movie on the track last year, so they show up and ask us to leave. We say no and after awhile they ended up being in our movie.