PDA

View Full Version : should i get snow tires?

jay42w8
12-13-2005, 04:42 PM
k, im from van so i dont know this stuff
i have a 95 grand cherokee with stock allseasons with about 80% tread id say....and i wanna drive it back to van for new years.....would i be ok with these tires or not such a good idea?????

Ekliptix
12-13-2005, 04:45 PM
If you're going to get new tires, I'd get the BGF All Terrain KO's. We've used them on trucks for years and they are amazing in the snow. We use them all year round and they seem to last very well in the non-snow season.
They have no more road noise then any other tire.
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/bfg/bfg_allterrain_ko_rwl_ci2_l.jpg

jay42w8
12-13-2005, 04:55 PM
yah but those are all seasons right.....my purpose in asking is actually cuz i have no money to buy new tires, else i would definetly get them....all i have now are almost brand new stock all seasons....i dont wanna risk my life though see cuz ive heard how bad the highways back to vancouver can get htis time of year

Ben
12-13-2005, 05:05 PM
If you plan on doing mid winter treks through the rockies, I would invest in some winter tires for sure.

Life > Death

AllGoNoShow
12-13-2005, 05:06 PM
Yah the mountains are horrible this time of year and new years won't be any better. Pickup some good snow tires, spending the extra bucks or borrwing will be better then never returning.

cman
12-13-2005, 06:03 PM
You can never go wrong wtih winter tires if you can afford them in your budget, it is a known fact they perform better in snow than all seasons. After all, it is your safety.

Foz
12-13-2005, 06:19 PM
When I first got my winters, I'd never let them go again.

Difference from all season and winter tires during winter, is night and day. Definately worth it.

As long as I stay in Canada, I'll never use All Season's for winter usage.

Get a set of winters and performance tires for summer!

infected
12-13-2005, 06:36 PM
If you want to make the trip your last then I would just stick with the all seasons. :burnout:

jay42w8
12-13-2005, 07:14 PM
k thanks guys...haha especially since i totalled my teg about a month ago on my way to kelowna drving in snow...haha its my first time drving an SUV so i feel invincible but yah...im either gonna stay and party in cowtown or buy some damn snow tires........anybody wanna reccomend a shop that i can buy a descent set of used ones???

tirebob
12-14-2005, 10:24 AM
All season tires on a 4wd will surely get you moving, but the problem with A/S tires is that they have no ice compounding, so when the temps get low, the rubber goes hard and provides zero ice traction. A winter tire is compounded to remian soft at low temps, providing much better adhesion to slippery surfaces.

Again, getting moving is not the issue because 4wd will help with that, but stopping is a whole other ball game. 4wd does not help you stop when you have momentum and your tires have no traction...

jay42w8
12-15-2005, 01:50 AM
k thanks man

I picked up some Kumho KW11's today....i plan to return to back calgary safely after new years haha i love this city