PDA

View Full Version : raw salmon...too much too bad?

LUDELVR
12-14-2005, 11:49 AM
Just wondering if anyone knows the downside of eating too much raw fish. I'm talking sashimi and not sushi, just the fish and no rice. Some things I'm wondering are the length of time for digestion (compared to other meats like chicken and beef) vitamins and overall healthiness of raw salmon, as well as any ill consequences for eating too much...cuz I'm on a mofucking tear yo!! I can't seem to get enough of it!

Any help is appreciated. :thumbsup:

dericer
12-14-2005, 11:56 AM
It's a staple in a lot of Asian diets, so i can't see it being too bad.

As long as it's prepared properly, it's probably the best way to eat fish IMO.

Eel Sashimi is amazing, high in fat, but worth it.

legendboy
12-14-2005, 12:15 PM
mmm i heard there is alot higher chance of getting a parasite from eating too much raw fish :dunno:

ryce_boii
12-14-2005, 12:28 PM
as long as your eating wasabi with it you'll be fine

B17a
12-14-2005, 12:45 PM
Too much of anything is usually not a good thing. I love sushi more than oxygen but I'd be most concerned about all the heavy metals and what not from eating too much fish. There's a reason pregnant women aren't supposed to eat fish.

Foz
12-14-2005, 12:55 PM
The salmon we get here from the sushi places are most likely farmed salmon and not wild (IIRC) cause it's cheaper.

There was a study done that farmed salmon can increase the risk of cancer.

Impreza
12-14-2005, 01:54 PM
Three letters come to mind when I think of farmed salmon (which is what sushi restaurants serve): PCB

The pellets that the farms feed these farm-raised salmon are filled with PCB's. So what you're eating is fat salmon that got that fat by being stuffed with PCB pellets! PCB's are carcinogenic, so moderation is key if you love your sushi salmon.

PCBs build up in salmon at 20 to 30 times the levels in their environment and their feed (Jackson et. al 2001), so even low concentrations of PCBs in fishmeal can become a concern for human health.
- http://www.ewg.org/reports/farmedPCBs/part2.php

FatboyTheHungry
12-14-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Impreza
Three letters come to mind when I think of farmed salmon (which is what sushi restaurants serve): PCB

The pellets that the farms feed these farm-raised salmon are filled with PCB's. So what you're eating is fat salmon that got that fat by being stuffed with PCB pellets! PCB's are carcinogenic, so moderation is key if you love your sushi salmon.

- http://www.ewg.org/reports/farmedPCBs/part2.php

Agreed. Sure glad I got a frezer full of wild caught Chinook, Coho, and Sockeye :thumbsup:

abyss
12-14-2005, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by FatboyTheHungry

Agreed. Sure glad I got a frezer full of wild caught Chinook, Coho, and Sockeye :thumbsup:

All you have to worry about is a freezer full of mercury deposits then. Pick your evil I guess.....

szw
12-14-2005, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by abyss

All you have to worry about is a freezer full of mercury deposits then. Pick your evil I guess.....

http://www.theslant.com/jam/images/downer.jpg

FatboyTheHungry
12-14-2005, 02:39 PM

Minimal issue in 3-4 year old fish caught in remote salt water. The pollutants are only a problem when the fish start to gather in headwaters of major river systems close to industry. It takes time for mercury to gather in the fat of the fish. Trout are a risk for mercury as they live for a long time in the same rivers (a 10 pound trout may be 15 years old). Salmon only live 3-5 years in most strains (up to 7 in the Kenai and Skeena) with all that time in the salt, except for their time as a fry/smolt in their home river. I caught all of my fish in the open water in Northern BC, and the Cooke Inlet, with a few in the Kenai and Kasilof. Much safer than farmed fish with their pellet diet and contaminants from local water (as fish farms are kept closer inland), and better tasting.

abyss
12-14-2005, 03:30 PM
lol, thanks for the fish education. *the more you know* :devil:

FatboyTheHungry
12-14-2005, 03:44 PM
lol, thanks for the fish education. *the more you know* :devil:

haha, fishing happens for be one of my *obsessions*

LUDELVR
12-14-2005, 05:06 PM
So what about the salmon from the stores like safeway, superstore and coop? Same shit as what the restaurants buy?:dunno:

LUDELVR
12-14-2005, 05:07 PM
Oh yah, and thanks for fucking up my sushi eating benders at the restaurants...and possibly at home!! :rofl:

FatboyTheHungry
12-14-2005, 05:34 PM
Haha, sorry 'bout that.

Farmed salmon is higher risk no matter what because fish that are always in close proximity to each other in a closed system (netted pens) are more susceptable to disease and parasites. They also don't have the benefit of a varied natural diet and this is reflected in the quality of the meat. For example, Sockeye and Chum salmon feed almost exclusively on plankton and shrimp, hence the redness of their meat.

Wild salmon is sometimes sold at local supermarkets, but the problem here is the cost, not to mention freshness. I am of the opinion that fish should be cleaned an frozen right away, within hours of harvest. The problem with "fresh" salmon at the supermarket is that it may have been out of the water for a few days. Depending on how soon it is cleaned and refrigerated, you might get something that is sill reasonably fresh, or something that smells "fishy"...

BTW, the salmon used in most restaurants is wild caught Chinook and Coho. You can tell by the size of the grain and the firmness of the meat. Farmed Chinooks are not as common, and don't get as big as the wild ones. There is also less Coho now days because Coho harvest and limits has been very tightly controlled in the last couple years.

Foz
12-14-2005, 10:51 PM
I love fishing.. and I wanna catch that bloody huge walleye to eat...

FatboyTheHungry
12-14-2005, 11:33 PM
And here's proof of a healthy 5-6 year old Chinook. This one was 68 lbs when we got it on the scale, and that was after a whole day out of the water. Prolly would have broken 70 lbs if we got it on the scale right away.

FatboyTheHungry
12-14-2005, 11:35 PM
And another pic

Foz
12-14-2005, 11:41 PM
:eek: That's a lot of sushi!!

Where in B.C did you catch that monster. Definately out on a boat... but that like the size for ocean fishing for halibut/salmon.

GQBalla
12-14-2005, 11:55 PM
farmed salmon IS GROSS!!!

i remember when working at sushi boat when we cut the salmon up and what not it would be so disgusting when you get one that has like melted flesh....its disgusting my manager said it was from the pellets to get them fatter,

its disgusting......the flesh looked like it was melted off the bone of the fish....:barf:

but i like salmon anyways

FatboyTheHungry
12-15-2005, 12:00 AM
It was off "the Wall" at Hanson Island. I fish at Telgraph Cove every year for big salmon, halibut, and snapper. I've hooked into bigger fish in the Kenai, Kasilof, and Russian rivers in Alaska too, but nothing beats catching big fish on big gear in the open water. I've been fishing for big game all my life, and I just can't stop...

GTS Jeff
12-15-2005, 01:32 AM
FYI, Canada has very stringent Hg concentration limits on seafood, and only canned tuna occasionally exceeds these limits.

As for the PCBs...well it certainly is not cool to eat PCBs...but again, they're present in extremely low concentrations, under government limits.

dragonone
12-15-2005, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by ryce_boii
as long as your eating wasabi with it you'll be fine
that's what i've been told as well

well look at everyone in japan, they're living fine

GQBalla
12-15-2005, 02:56 AM
thats true, ^^ but i say they developed a immunity for the shit in fish!!!

lol they must have developed a immunity to smoking too!

so many japanese people smoke yet they have a long ass average life span

KLCC
12-15-2005, 03:01 AM
Human Intestinal Anisakiosis Due to Consumption of Raw Salmon.
American Journal of Surgical Pathology. 27(8):1167-1172, August 2003.
Couture, Christian M.D., M.Sc.; Measures, Lena Ph.D.; Gagnon, Joel M.D.; Desbiens, Christine M.D.

Abstract:
Anisakiosis is a parasitic infection that follows consumption of raw or insufficiently pickled, salted, smoked, or cooked wild marine fish infected with Anisakis sp. larvae. We report a case of intestinal anisakiosis in a 50-year-old man from Quebec who presented with abdominal pain and peripheral eosinophilia after eating raw wild-caught salmon from the Pacific Ocean off Canada. Abdominal CT scan showed bowel distension proximal to a segmental jejunal wall thickening, which was resected. The jejunum segment showed a localized area of serositis with mucosal edema and a submucosal abscess rich in eosinophils surrounding a parasite consistent with the third larval stage of Anisakis sp. Diagnostic morphologic characteristics included an unpaired excretory gland (renette cell), Y-shaped lateral epidermal cords, no apparent reproductive system, and a ventriculus (glandular esophagus). These features and the absence of lateral alae excluded Ascaris sp. The absence of ventricular appendage and intestinal cecum excluded other anisakids of the genera Pseudoterranova and Contracaecum. As the popularity of eating raw fish is growing in North America, anisakiosis may be diagnosed more frequently in surgical specimens. This parasitic infection should be considered in the differential diagnosis of acute abdominal syndromes and eosinophilic infiltrates of the stomach, small intestine, colon, omentum, and mesentery, especially with a history of raw marine fish consumption.

(C) 2003 Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Inc.

Too much of anything is not always a good thing....:nut:

CKY
12-15-2005, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by KLCC
Human Intestinal Anisakiosis Due to Consumption of Raw Salmon.
American Journal of Surgical Pathology. 27(8):1167-1172, August 2003.
Couture, Christian M.D., M.Sc.; Measures, Lena Ph.D.; Gagnon, Joel M.D.; Desbiens, Christine M.D.

Abstract:
Anisakiosis is a parasitic infection that follows consumption of raw or insufficiently pickled, salted, smoked, or cooked wild marine fish infected with Anisakis sp. larvae. We report a case of intestinal anisakiosis in a 50-year-old man from Quebec who presented with abdominal pain and peripheral eosinophilia after eating raw wild-caught salmon from the Pacific Ocean off Canada. Abdominal CT scan showed bowel distension proximal to a segmental jejunal wall thickening, which was resected. The jejunum segment showed a localized area of serositis with mucosal edema and a submucosal abscess rich in eosinophils surrounding a parasite consistent with the third larval stage of Anisakis sp. Diagnostic morphologic characteristics included an unpaired excretory gland (renette cell), Y-shaped lateral epidermal cords, no apparent reproductive system, and a ventriculus (glandular esophagus). These features and the absence of lateral alae excluded Ascaris sp. The absence of ventricular appendage and intestinal cecum excluded other anisakids of the genera Pseudoterranova and Contracaecum. As the popularity of eating raw fish is growing in North America, anisakiosis may be diagnosed more frequently in surgical specimens. This parasitic infection should be considered in the differential diagnosis of acute abdominal syndromes and eosinophilic infiltrates of the stomach, small intestine, colon, omentum, and mesentery, especially with a history of raw marine fish consumption.

(C) 2003 Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Inc.

Too much of anything is not always a good thing....:nut:

Can someone put that in English?

bspot
12-15-2005, 08:57 AM
If you eat lots of fish, drink lots of tea ;) It helps flush out heavy metals.