PDA

View Full Version : VIN etching

barbarian
12-15-2005, 12:19 AM
Anyone with commonly stolen types of cars ever consider VIN etching (http://www.google.com/search?&q=VIN%20etching&sourceid=firefox) as a theft deterrant? Does it have any value?

freakin
12-15-2005, 12:42 AM
I don't think this will stop a car from being stolen and parted out. I'd be more concerned with disabling it so that it doesn't go anywhere without me.

I couldn't hurt though.

lastprodigy
12-15-2005, 12:43 AM
Seems pretty use less, if they wanted to gut the car anyways they would just smash the glass.:dunno:

turbo'dGSR
12-15-2005, 12:53 AM
Not a bad thing to add to the list of deterrants, but it may cause another car to be stolen and stripped of its glass..

FiveFreshFish
12-15-2005, 12:54 AM
I've got some numbers etched on all my windows. They're not the VIN though.

Rav4Guy
12-15-2005, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
I've got some numbers etched on all my windows. They're not the VIN though.

LOL... probably glass part number. :rolleyes:

FiveFreshFish
12-15-2005, 01:00 AM
Doubt it. Same group of numbers on 8 different pieces of glass.

benyl
12-15-2005, 01:28 AM
No, the glass etching company has its own numbers.

Most new cars have a sticker on each and every body part that has the VIN on it.

Personally, I think it is a waste of money. It is a way for the dealer to mark up your car without you being able to argue.

I mean really, it takes 10 minutes per window to etch... so like 30 bucks. The dealer turns around and charges you $300.

?????
12-15-2005, 10:24 AM
More like 10 minutes for the whole car. Basically walk around the car twice. Once to apply and once to remove.

HRD2PLZ
12-15-2005, 10:27 AM
When I had my Accord, the dealership had already etched the windows and would only have charged me $300 if I wanted to register the car in the program. I didn't bother, but who can tell really? :dunno: The only thing I didn't get was the stupid window decals.

lint
12-15-2005, 10:34 AM
They don't sell you the cost of etching, they sell you on the insurance. If you have your car etched AND you've paid for it, then if your car gets stolen within X period of time (I think the first 2-5 years) and isn't recovered within 30 days then you get a premium on top of your insurance pay out. The etching is supposed to make it easier to recover the car, not prevent it from being stolen.

sputnik
12-15-2005, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
When I had my Accord, the dealership had already etched the windows and would only have charged me $300 if I wanted to register the car in the program. I didn't bother, but who can tell really? :dunno: The only thing I didn't get was the stupid window decals.

My new Accord came with each body panel etched with the VIN. It was a part of their insurance policy that only cost me $100. However if my car is stolen and not recovered within 14 days they cut me a cheque for $5000 for a new Honda above and beyond the insurance settlement. It is also good for as long as I own the car.

69cougar
12-15-2005, 10:41 AM
It is just a another money maker for dealerships to increase their bottom line. SPutnik you must have negoiated it down before it was done?? Most dealerships charge arounf $3 to 500 and say that they had to pay it and therfore you do to. Total scam that does nothing but take your money.

HRD2PLZ
12-15-2005, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

My new Accord came with each body panel etched with the VIN. It was a part of their insurance policy that only cost me $100. However if my car is stolen and not recovered within 14 days they cut me a cheque for $5000 for a new Honda above and beyond the insurance settlement. It is also good for as long as I own the car.

My program was similar. I would have gotten a $3000 (I think) cheque and a $3000 credit at the Honda dealership. Of course, on top of my vehicle insurance policy. This was back in 2001 though, and I have long since sold the car so I can't remember the details.

Toms-SC
12-15-2005, 11:11 AM
When the heads were off my car I etched my name initials into them with a metal stamp. Aluminum heads for the win! :D

barbarian
12-16-2005, 12:37 AM
I was thinking more of the do-it-yourself etching links that come up with that google search. They are like $30.