PDA

View Full Version : eBay pros... this is a scam isn't it?

/////AMG
12-16-2005, 07:41 AM
Ok, I sold my Digital Camera ( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7569738726&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESO%3AIT&rd=1 ), it just met the reserve because this guy upped his bid £15, he is in the Netherlands, even though I wasn't going to ship abroad, but I thought why not. Now he sent me an e-mail " hello,
i am very happy to see the invoice you sent to me,but i am very sorry to inform you that i am shipping the item to nigeris,in this case i am adding 20 pounds to the shipment cost you sent to me,so pls i will make the payment via paypal....and when you get the comfirmation from paypal pls make sure you send the item to nigeria and make sure you send me the tracking number."

Something fishy is going on here, he registered on the 9th of this month aswell ( http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=baba7457&iid=7569738726 ).

What should I do? Is there anyway he can scam me? Also, if I don't want to ship to him, can he give me negative feedback?

dooman24
12-16-2005, 07:56 AM
haha i din't see anything wrong with this..
aslong as you get the money...
and then ship

Raz2
12-16-2005, 08:06 AM
everybody from Nigera is a scammer. If he paypals you the money, check who it is really from and contact them (probably NOT him) - make sure they get their money back and contact the police. Here in calgary, call 266-1234 and ask for "Robbie Robbertson" (no kidding) he is their main contact for what is concerned as mail fraud or internet fraud.

- Rasmus

Xtrema
12-16-2005, 08:40 AM
If it's paypal but not verified, it's still not safe. I won't send anything outside of North America.

/////AMG
12-16-2005, 09:01 AM
Yea, I asked this on eBay aswell, and they sai dnever send anything to Nigeria, ever.
I hate these fuckers, what a wast eof my time, now I have to go through the whole porcess to ge tmy fees back and shit.

Thanks though.

PS: Raz, I'm not in Calgary.
Xtrema, He isn't verified, well nor am I (cause i'm damn lazy).

achtung
12-16-2005, 09:07 AM
scam. I bet you he'll pay with an unverified account using a stolen credit card. Then after a month you will get a charge back.

Phy
12-16-2005, 09:26 AM
I wonder how long it'll take before Nigerian scammers shut down all internet business into their country?

Xtrema
12-16-2005, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by /////AMG
Xtrema, He isn't verified, well nor am I (cause i'm damn lazy).

There is NO seller protection if you decided to ship to unverified buyers via Paypal.

/////AMG
12-16-2005, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
There is NO seller protection if you decided to ship to unverified buyers via Paypal.

Yea, I already reported him, he should be banned within the next 48 hours. :thumbsup:

If you think you have a scam buyer on your auction take note here and learn how to look after yourself

If you are selling high risk items such as mobiles laptops camera other similar items also expensive jewellery or watches read on

The buyer is usually zero feedback and newly registered often in the UK or Netherlands and now the US and wants shipping to Nigeria Singapore Indonesia occasionally Lithuania do not ship the item.

A couple of people have reported paypal payments made with stolen or cloned cards coming via the netherlands contingentsso definitely you need to take care to avoid these payments.

Currently a lot of these scammers are sending a fake paypal emails so always check your account to see payments are real.And others are using stolen or cloned cards

Make sure you stick to the rules of paypal ellers protection that is confirmed address verified buyer and item eligible for seller protection and use tracking.

This is a must at all times doubly when you items are high risk

Alternatively they want to pay with Bidpay, Western Union Moneygram or postal order, or want to use Square Trade, Ebay Services.The lastest buyers wanted to pay via USPS In these instances they want the item shipped and you to provide a tracking number before they forwards payment In many instances the emails appear to come from real services like Bidpay but the emails are completely fake. They look fake bad spelling etc

Another scam is they want to send an oversize cheque and want you to send the balance to a relative for a surprise birthday present. Of course the original cheque bounces

Do not be taken by them

If you are ever in doubt come to the Answer Centre Boards or to one of the Discussion Forums. Whichever you choose we will all help you
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Neil4Speed
12-16-2005, 11:41 AM
NO, AMG THIS IS A SCAM. Please note that. I will tell you what happened to me once.

I had this higher end Sony Reciever (room transmitter but whatever) that I sold on E-bay. With about 1-2 days left in the auction, the guy said that he would buy the reciever immediately for about twice of what I expected it to go for and that he needed it as soon as possible. Lucky for me, I had two of these recievers and was looking forward to making a quick sale. He paid by western union. He frauded western union e-mails and changed the name/amount on each. When I looked in my western union account I had nothing (keep in mind that he rushed me greatly so sometimes you don't think too straight). He told me to ship it by UPS on his "Account", which UPS wouldn't do. At which point he sent me another UPS statement with the payment for the shipping. He assured me that the western union payment takes a little while to process and that he needed the reciever immediately othewise the deal was off. I had the receiver packed and ready, at which point.. I realized something was fishy, I checked the source of the e-mail, in my mailbox it showed as "Western Union", when I looked at the source it was "[email protected]". I reported him, I hope that scum got some sort of punishment, but I doubt it.

Neil4Speed
12-16-2005, 11:43 AM
By the way, good sale man! these were going at london drugs at $200 a few months back!

Raz2
12-16-2005, 11:46 AM
There is absolutely no repercussion in Nigeria for that stuff right now.

/////AMG
12-16-2005, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
NO, AMG THIS IS A SCAM. Please note that. I will tell you what happened to me once.

I had this higher end Sony Reciever (room transmitter but whatever) that I sold on E-bay. With about 1-2 days left in the auction, the guy said that he would buy the reciever immediately for about twice of what I expected it to go for and that he needed it as soon as possible. Lucky for me, I had two of these recievers and was looking forward to making a quick sale. He paid by western union. He frauded western union e-mails and changed the name/amount on each. When I looked in my western union account I had nothing (keep in mind that he rushed me greatly so sometimes you don't think too straight). He told me to ship it by UPS on his "Account", which UPS wouldn't do. At which point he sent me another UPS statement with the payment for the shipping. He assured me that the western union payment takes a little while to process and that he needed the reciever immediately othewise the deal was off. I had the receiver packed and ready, at which point.. I realized something was fishy, I checked the source of the e-mail, in my mailbox it showed as "Western Union", when I looked at the source it was "[email protected]". I reported him, I hope that scum got some sort of punishment, but I doubt it.

Western Union is known for scams. I don't take anyhitng but PayPal or Cash.

Originally posted by Neil4Speed
By the way, good sale man! these were going at london drugs at $200 a few months back!

These camers were going for $200? Damn!! I think I bought it for $280ish about a year ago.

handsomebassman
12-16-2005, 11:54 AM
I was going to do some selling on Ebay. Are you guys saying its probably not the wisest thing? I got quite a bit of stuff im lookin to get rid of as im leaving the country for a while. Should i just "buyandsell" or "bargainfind" it?

alpha
12-16-2005, 11:55 AM
when I sell on ebay I always state that I will only ship to a paypal verified address, and I only ship once payment has cleared and reached my bank account, the last thing I sold the guy got upset because I waited a week to ship, and he had instantly paid me through paypal, but like I said I dont do ANYTHING until cash is in hand, to many assholes out there.

Neil4Speed
12-17-2005, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by handsomebassman
I was going to do some selling on Ebay. Are you guys saying its probably not the wisest thing? I got quite a bit of stuff im lookin to get rid of as im leaving the country for a while. Should i just "buyandsell" or "bargainfind" it?

Depends on what your selling really, but E-bay is really one of the best methods of selling online. Honestly in about 200-300 sales, I have only come across probably 10 problems. most of which get settled.

Keep in mind shipping, and high CDN Dollar, Listing Fees, and Paypal fees. Overall it costs me about 15% administration