PDA

View Full Version : Drunk driving penalty

abyss
12-16-2005, 02:06 PM
Well I am happy with the sentence, the fact that he's been convicted 39 times already, I don't think he has the ability to reform anymore.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/12/15/20051215-drunkdriving.html

Man gets 6 years for drunk driving
Last Updated Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:23:08 EST
CBC News
A man in Ontario has been sentenced to six years in jail for drunk driving – a penalty that may be the most severe ever handed down in Canada for an incident in which no one was killed.

Charly Hart of Watford, 45 kilometres east of Sarnia, has a 35-year record of impaired driving that includes nearly 60 previous convictions. Thirty-nine of those were for drunk driving and related offences.

His first conviction was for dangerous driving in 1969. Two years later, he was again convicted of dangerous driving after an accident in Sarnia that killed one person.

His latest conviction comes after a Feb. 12 incident in Sarnia in which a Beer Store clerk refused Hart service because he was drunk. The clerk notified an off-duty police officer, who followed Hart in his car to another Beer Store location and arrested him.

Officials later learned Hart used a Corrections Canada identification card with an incorrect birthdate to obtain a new driver's licence. A police check using that licence did not reveal the previous convictions for drunk driving.

Andrew Murie, of Mothers Against Drunk Driving Canada, says it's the first time the maximum penalty has ever been imposed for an impaired driving charge that did not involve death or bodily harm.

Why was he allowed to continue this 40 times?

Tyler883
12-16-2005, 02:15 PM
40? i see 60.

abyss
12-16-2005, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Tyler883
40? i see 60.

Charly Hart of Watford, 45 kilometres east of Sarnia, has a 35-year record of impaired driving that includes nearly 60 previous convictions. Thirty-nine of those were for drunk driving and related offences.

GoChris
12-16-2005, 02:19 PM
good, hopefully he doesnt get out early on parole either. stupid peice of shit

sputnik
12-16-2005, 02:20 PM
I wish the same think happened to those caught twice.

l8braker
12-16-2005, 02:31 PM
40 times Drinking a driving. 6 years. Makes sense :rolleyes:

What a joke.

FatboyTheHungry
12-16-2005, 02:54 PM
Yeah, gotta wonder how he was allowed to drive after the first couple convictions... :thumbsdow

HRD2PLZ
12-16-2005, 03:06 PM
I think the penalty of 6 years is too leniant. He obviously didn't learn from any of his punishments the first 39 times. I think a minimum of 10 years would have been sufficient. I also don't think he should ever be able to possess a driver's license again. That is a priveledge he has obviously abused and doesn't deserve another chance at.

khtm
12-16-2005, 03:23 PM
Good riddance.

Raz2
12-16-2005, 03:36 PM
People who drink and drive are pieces of shit and need to all go to jail and have their nuts cut off, oh, and in the rarer case of a woman driving drunk, she should have a deadbolt pierced to her clitoris. :eek:

- Rasmus

A790
12-16-2005, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Raz2
People who drink and drive are pieces of shit and need to all go to jail and have their nuts cut off, oh, and in the rarer case of a woman driving drunk, she should have a deadbolt pierced to her clitoris. :eek:

- Rasmus

my new sig.

dragonone
12-16-2005, 05:41 PM
i wonder if the system ever ordered him to go through counselling or classes, or even a psychologist
obviously he doesn't get it, and sending him away or fines or community service won't help him learn. i have a hunch he'll continue after these 6 years (or is it less w/ holidays and such)

Tyler883
12-17-2005, 12:11 AM
I think 6 years is appropriate for someone that is labeled a repeat offender that just isn't getting the message. I think waiting for the 40 th conviction was waiting too long.

Tyler883
12-17-2005, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by dragonone
i wonder if the system ever ordered him to go through counselling or classes, or even a psychologist
obviously he doesn't get it, and sending him away or fines or community service won't help him learn. i have a hunch he'll continue after these 6 years (or is it less w/ holidays and such)

you are probably right, this guy is a real loser, he won't learn a thing.

cman
12-17-2005, 12:23 AM
How did he get away with it 40 times, thats complete bullshit. Should have 6 years after the second or third conviction.

Z24_3.1.
12-17-2005, 12:32 AM
^:werd:

Gondi Stylez
12-17-2005, 12:42 AM
^^:werd: x2

Z_Fan
12-17-2005, 10:52 AM
6 years is a joke. He already killed someone. This guy deserves life in prison.

69cougar
12-17-2005, 12:50 PM
A better sentence would be to amputate his legs.

AD_Runner
12-17-2005, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
I think the penalty of 6 years is too leniant. He obviously didn't learn from any of his punishments the first 39 times. I think a minimum of 10 years would have been sufficient. I also don't think he should ever be able to possess a driver's license again. That is a priveledge he has obviously abused and doesn't deserve another chance at.

I agree, only because he has not respected the prior years, of leniant punishments. I believe if it happens twice to a person, they should lose their priveledge to own a driver's license up to 5 years.

Toms-SC
12-17-2005, 10:08 PM
6 years? :rolleyes:

Carfanman
12-18-2005, 05:09 PM
People should get fucked over the first time they get caught, so they don't do it again.

They should get 6 months in jail, a 10 thousand dollars fine, have to visit the families of 3 people who recently lost family members to drunk drivers, get community service when they get out of prison, and lose their license for a year from the time they get out of prison.
Hardly anyone is going to risk that, just to save 5 bucks on a cab.
And if they do it once, after a punishment like that, they sure as hell won't do it again.
If they do, they get a worse punishment.

It may seem harsh, but the only difference between a drink driver who kills someone and one who doesn't is luck. Luck shouldn't be enough to get off the hook.

Every time you get behind the car while you're drunk, there is a very good chance you will kill someone. Anyone who is willing to risk killing someone is scum, and they deserve a fucking harsh penalty.

AD_Runner
12-20-2005, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Carfanman
People should get fucked over the first time they get caught, so they don't do it again.

They should get 6 months in jail, a 10 thousand dollars fine, have to visit the families of 3 people who recently lost family members to drunk drivers, get community service when they get out of prison, and lose their license for a year from the time they get out of prison.
Hardly anyone is going to risk that, just to save 5 bucks on a cab.
And if they do it once, after a punishment like that, they sure as hell won't do it again.
If they do, they get a worse punishment.

It may seem harsh, but the only difference between a drink driver who kills someone and one who doesn't is luck. Luck shouldn't be enough to get off the hook.

Every time you get behind the car while you're drunk, there is a very good chance you will kill someone. Anyone who is willing to risk killing someone is scum, and they deserve a fucking harsh penalty.

Actually -- Nicely put in my opinion -- :clap:

Nissanaddict
12-20-2005, 09:51 PM
Carfanman, THAT my friend, made you sound a lot older than you are. I couldn't have said it better myself.