PDA

View Full Version : Review: Sugo "Cafe Italia"

A790
12-17-2005, 04:00 AM
My girlfriend and I went down to Sugo not too long ago, so I thought I'd share the experience.

Location: Straight across from Kane's Harly Diner on 9th Ave S.E. (near the Zoo)
Food: 4.5/5
Ambiance:5/5
Service:3/5
Overall:4/5
Total Cost: $280 for two, with drinks and tip.

The menu here changes daily, and we've been more than once. Every appetizer we've tried (portabella mushroom, various soups, scallops/prawns) have been fantastic. Everything is presented in a manner that is becoming of the atmosphere, and tasts fabulous.

The entrees focus on italian (pasta) or unique dishes (cranberry marinated slamon- delicious). I definately look forward to trying what's on the menu. I recommend everything, though it can get pricey. Pay close attention to the seafood and pastas, as they are done particularly well and come with my highest recommendation.

The service... this is a bit touchy for me. I know the servers, and they are a good lot of guys, but they tend to push things a wee bit too far. For example, over the course of our first night there, the server was hitting on my girlfriend pretty obviously, though he knew I was there and aware of it. Though in a joking manner, it eventually got old. The service is attentive and friendly, I just felt that one point as a source of irritation.

They gave us free drinks and shots of Baileys as they knew that we were not driving, and dessert was excellent. Even though we reserved for 9 pm on a Sunday night everything was still quick and friendly. Very professional in that regard.

Final Thoughts
I recommend Sugo very much for the quality of the atmosphere and the food prepared there. Though a tad on the higher end side, I feel the overall experience is well worth the expense.

I would also like to note that on our second, third, and fourth visits, there were absolutely NO problems with the service at all.

Please wear casual/formal attire. No cutoff jeans/muscle shirts.

Enjoy your meal!