PDA

View Full Version : MADD Against Weed

Pages : [1] 2

Toms-SC
12-17-2005, 10:03 PM
Yup,

MADD is now targeting you pot smoking tools who drive high. Check out the daily newspaper 'Dose' to see the ad's. I don't think they believe in the fact you drive better high. :D

Discuss

95EagleAWD
12-17-2005, 10:29 PM
You drive stoned, you're just as dumb as driving drunk.

End of discussion.

Toms-SC
12-17-2005, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
You drive stoned, you're just as dumb as driving drunk.

End of discussion.

My nukka :werd:

googe
12-17-2005, 10:47 PM
cant remember the last time I heard of a stoned driver hurting someone. going by statistics, youd be pretty dumb to compare the two.

95EagleAWD
12-17-2005, 11:51 PM
Sad that it takes a stoned driver to hurt/kill someone for you to realize that absolute stupidity of driving while impaired by drugs...

LudeRoca
12-18-2005, 12:05 AM
either that or you really suck at driving. i dont think its the same as driving drunk. I know most people here are gonna argue. but so be it.

ricefarmer
12-18-2005, 12:16 AM
if you're stoned out of your head, it would be way worse to drive high IMO, im not talkin about smokin a joint, im talking about smoking a few and then doing some blades and hitting a bong HIGH, so id say they are comparable

LudeRoca
12-18-2005, 12:17 AM
yea. but ive met people that blz and cant drive worth shit. Those people i wouldnt trust driving sobber.

Toms-SC
12-18-2005, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by LudeRoca
either that or you really suck at driving. i dont think its the same as driving drunk. I know most people here are gonna argue. but so be it.

Is it illegal = check
Can it cause self harm = check
Can it impare your judgement = check

Maybe you could attempt to explain the differences you see?

Gondi Stylez
12-18-2005, 12:42 AM
^^ :rofl:

if u think driving high is less "tragic" then driving plastered then u are a complete and utter MORON :guns:

+1 for this MADD motion :thumbsup:

Zero102
12-18-2005, 02:07 AM
Awesome.
I can't believe people are arguing that it is just fine to drive stoned....
If you think so, then please, just turn in your driver's license, do us all a favor.
+2 for this MADD motion.

handsomebassman
12-18-2005, 02:14 AM
I personally feel that driving while on a cellphone is worse than driving while "high", but whatever, kudos to madd for this motion.:thumbsup:

Melinda
12-18-2005, 03:25 AM
+3, good for MADD! :clap:

3G
12-18-2005, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by Toms-SC

Is it illegal = check

My friend lost his license for 24 hours for driving high

kenny
12-18-2005, 05:41 AM
If they want to target high drivers, they should start to target those that yap on cell phones, or those that drive while falling asleep.

M.A.I.D - Mothers Against Impaired Drivers :)

Tyler883
12-18-2005, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by kenny
If they want to target high drivers, they should start to target those that yap on cell phones, or those that drive while falling asleep.

M.A.I.D - Mothers Against Impaired Drivers :)

I think you didn't mean it sound the way you did....

I agree that cellphones, and sleepy drivers are a problem, and I hope they do start to target them.

Meanwhile, I hope they continue to target drivers that have had alcohol, weed, and lets not forget other drugs like some cold medicine.

69cougar
12-18-2005, 09:52 AM
key point being missed her it is not drunk driving it is IMPAIRED driving. Guess what being stoned is being impaired. End of discussion

eljefe
12-18-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Zero102
Awesome.
I can't believe people are arguing that it is just fine to drive stoned....
If you think so, then please, just turn in your driver's license, do us all a favor.
+2 for this MADD motion. :werd:

eljefe
12-18-2005, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Tyler883

I think you didn't mean it sound the way you did....

I agree that cellphones, and sleepy drivers are a problem, and I hope they do start to target them.

Meanwhile, I hope they continue to target drivers that have had alcohol, weed, and lets not forget other drugs like some cold medicine.

Good point, anything that impairs your ability to drive whether it is alcohol, drugs of any sort or a cellphone should be targeted. In Ontario they can and will charge you with careless driving if you are talking on a cellphone and driving erratically, more could be done but it is a start.

95EagleAWD
12-18-2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by eljefe

Good point, anything that impairs your ability to drive whether it is alcohol, drugs of any sort or a cellphone should be targeted. In Ontario they can and will charge you with careless driving if you are talking on a cellphone and driving erratically, more could be done but it is a start.

Absolutely.

rage2
12-18-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by googe
cant remember the last time I heard of a stoned driver hurting someone. going by statistics, youd be pretty dumb to compare the two.
I agree with googe. Weed and alcohol are 2 totally different beasts that are simply not comparible. The reason why there's very little stoner car accidents is because unlike alcohol, weed makes people paranoid. When they're really high, you can't make 'em drive. Laziness has to do with it too I think :rofl:.

Also with weed, there are people who can drive high, and people who can't (I fall under the can't categeory). Again, paranoia makes me never drive high. Alcohol? Makes people confident, thus lots of drunk driving incidents.

I can say that I've taken cold medicine and drove years ago, much more dangerous than driving high. I see lots of people do that everyday.

I just think there's a lot more dangerous impairments to target than weed smokers who drive high.

eljefe
12-18-2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by rage2

I agree with googe. Weed and alcohol are 2 totally different beasts that are simply not comparible. The reason why there's very little stoner car accidents is because unlike alcohol, weed makes people paranoid. When they're really high, you can't make 'em drive. Laziness has to do with it too I think :rofl:.

Also with weed, there are people who can drive high, and people who can't (I fall under the can't categeory). Again, paranoia makes me never drive high. Alcohol? Makes people confident, thus lots of drunk driving incidents.

I can say that I've taken cold medicine and drove years ago, much more dangerous than driving high. I see lots of people do that everyday.

I just think there's a lot more dangerous impairments to target than weed smokers who drive high.

I can see some of your arguement however the reason there is not much in the way of statistics is because driving under the influence of weed or other drugs is not nearly as easily detactable as alcohal. Only in fatal accidents or accidents where the driver ends up in the hospital is there even a chance it will be detected.

Either way it is an "impairment" and rightly so it is illegal to drive in the influence of weed.

Pee_Sack
12-18-2005, 02:03 PM
I agree there is no way you can compare the two. Just because you can't compare them doesn't make one of them right. They both impair your judgement and reaction time, and I don't want people on the road that won't be able to sotp when they are needed to. Also cell fones a totally different category but it decreases your reaction time. I live in Fort McMurray and people up here that work out at the sites love to drive drunk or stoned or on there cell fone, I have never been to a place where a Friday night is so dangerous to drive around in. The worst part is, that they are all in comapny vehicles. Big F-350 with Suncor plastered on the side of it and buddy is high, has a beer in one hand and a cell fone in the other. Weed has to impair some judgement, I have been hit by a person that was high. Mcdonalds parking lot, instead of throwing it into drive, buddy infront of me put it in reverse and backed right into me, even though I was yelling at him and honking my horn. Got out to talk to him and all I could smell was weed.

ninjak84
12-18-2005, 02:16 PM

I don't think so.... Weed is an important one, especially in Canada.

The average person doesn't drive good when they're high. People I know who don't toke often get shit-faced off of a blunt! Experienced smokers can handle themselves alot better, but they aren't the ones to worry about.

It's the exact same situation as booze. We need laws against the less responsible.

01RedDX
12-18-2005, 07:36 PM

Toms-SC
12-18-2005, 07:53 PM
I think the part that you can't really test for it right away is a problem :)

12-18-2005, 10:05 PM
I agree with some of the other posts that talking on the phone texting etc should be targeted before weed. I just dont feel that it is as harmful. BUT, dont get me wrong weed still impaires you.

rage2
12-18-2005, 11:29 PM
I'm not saying weed isn't an impairment, I'm saying that there are worse impairments. I've ridden with people that drive high, and I've road with ppl that are on their cell phones, txt msging while driving, and I can honestly say I feel safer in the car with the guy that smoked some weed.

For those that don't smoke it, they simply don't understand. Weed affects different people differently. I know guys that get super baked, and have zero impairment to their reaction times, hand eye co-ordination, etc. They'll kick your ass in GT4! ;)

Plus the more weed you smoke, the less it affects you over time. So chronic users really just feel a bit relaxed and pretty much the same when they're high (I've been there before). No "strobelight" effect or slow-mo effect at all after smoking. And for those where they're affected like myself, I'm paranoid enough to rather stay home than to drive off somewhere high.

My point is, knowing a LOT of weed smokers, MADD is targetting the wrong group, as there are much worse imparments than driving on weed. Such as soccer moms on cell phones, who ironically, are probably MADD members.

01RedDX
12-18-2005, 11:35 PM

2.4l
12-19-2005, 12:19 AM
^^^^ thank rage *2.. the weed haters on here are good little girls who dont smoke never have and have always been told by thier mom that 'WEED IS THE DEVIL':devil: ... you dont loose your reaction times and motor skills at all, your decisions and reactions would be more negativly influenced by driving on tylenol... why do so many contemporary canadian athletes from snowboarders to NHL players seem to smoke weed as well as dominate the sport?

SECONDLY> you guys have no idea how many NHRA and top 1/4 mile drivers smoke .. maybe you should tell them its dangerous smoking weed and running 6 second 1/4 miles in the same day iam sure you could help them improve thier driving!
all you pussys take off your panties, we live in canada, and check your rearview mirror because chances are that guys smoking a joint!!!! therefore you should pull out your beyond badge from your ass, jerk your wheel hard to both sides, put your car into a roll and STOP THAT WEED SMOKING DRIVER AT ALL COSTS!:guns:

94SSEi
12-19-2005, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by 2.4l
why do so many contemporary canadian athletes from snowboarders to NHL players seem to smoke weed as well as dominate the sport?

SECONDLY> you guys have no idea how many NHRA and top 1/4 mile drivers smoke .. maybe you should tell them its dangerous smoking weed and running 6 second 1/4 miles in the same day iam sure you could help them improve thier driving!

Ok, first comment, you cannot correlate smoking weed to excelling in athletics. To make such an unfounded, baseless claim is the same as saying that many high-powered business men drink, so therefore drinking improves your business prowess. Or that many Hollywood actors abuse drugs such as coke, so therefore coke et al MUST improve your acting abilities and appearance!

Second comment, relates back to what I just said, you can't simply state that because "X" successful group does "A," that their skill is because of "A." Furthermore, since the internet is a hive of BS, I would like some evidence for your claim that "many NHRA and top 1/4 mile drivers smoke," I can't see many of the admitting to doing it in the first place, let alone claiming that it is the reason for their success.

So let's see it, where did you get these "facts?" Or did you just "hear it somewhere" or "see it somewhere on the internet one time."

b_t
12-19-2005, 12:36 AM
There was actually a scientific study done where they compared a control group, and then a group of people who were stoned on various amounts of weed and then a group of people who were varyingly drunk. The most stoned people (like RIDICULOUSLY stoned) were comparable to the drunk drivers who were still below the legal limit, and these people were far more stoned then you can usually get since they used pure THC for the test as opposed to actually smoking joints.

I think the only danger from driving stoned is if you burn out really hard and start falling asleep at the wheel.

the_fornicator
12-19-2005, 12:50 AM

Is it illegal = check

marijuana was only made illegal back in the early 1900's because of the anti-asiatic act. not because it was wreckless.

caffiene does the latter 2 of your examples so are you gonna start shitting down coffee drinkers' throats?

learn how to make a point first in an argument before you pick a side.

weed affects everybody differently so to say that it's an outright impairment is irresponsible. main point is that people should simply learn some personal restraint when it comes to smoking dope.

the_fornicator
12-19-2005, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Pee_Sack
Weed has to impair some judgement, I have been hit by a person that was high. Mcdonalds parking lot, instead of throwing it into drive, buddy infront of me put it in reverse and backed right into me, even though I was yelling at him and honking my horn.

I've seen people do that completely sober.

94SSEi
12-19-2005, 12:56 AM
Granted, but since when can we rely on people to make the right choice? If people acted the way they "should" many laws would be uneccesary.

the_fornicator
12-19-2005, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by 94SSEi
Granted, but since when can we rely on people to make the right choice? If people acted the way they "should" many laws would be uneccesary.

by your argument, then we should relinquish all rights over to people who we think are able to determine what the "right" choice is?

I don't quite think I understand what you're getting at.

2.4l
12-19-2005, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by 94SSEi

Ok, first comment, you cannot correlate smoking weed to excelling in athletics. To make such an unfounded, baseless claim is the same as saying that many high-powered business men drink, so therefore drinking improves your business prowess. Or that many Hollywood actors abuse drugs such as coke, so therefore coke et al MUST improve your acting abilities and appearance!

Second comment, relates back to what I just said, you can't simply state that because "X" successful group does "A," that their skill is because of "A." Furthermore, since the internet is a hive of BS, I would like some evidence for your claim that "many NHRA and top 1/4 mile drivers smoke," I can't see many of the admitting to doing it in the first place, let alone claiming that it is the reason for their success.

So let's see it, where did you get these "facts?" Or did you just "hear it somewhere" or "see it somewhere on the internet one time."
weed with athletics> some of my friends who played WHL hockey and were leading point scorers on thier team SMOKE weed, as well as gold medalist ross rebagliati and not to mention myself who has a 99.9 % chance of being in much greater shape then yourself or any of your friends, but then again i always hear about the infamous friend who is so strong blah blah BULLSHIT...
AS for 1/4 mile drivers, have you ever chilled with any? i didnt think so.. i have so there you go shitface!

BerserkerCatSplat
12-19-2005, 01:51 AM

weed with athletics> some of my friends who played WHL hockey and were leading point scorers on thier team SMOKE weed, as well as gold medalist ross rebagliati and not to mention myself who has a 99.9 % chance of being in much greater shape then yourself or any of your friends, but then again i always hear about the infamous friend who is so strong blah blah BULLSHIT...
AS for 1/4 mile drivers, have you ever chilled with any? i didnt think so.. i have so there you go shitface!

That post was the intellectual equivalent of dihorrhea.

Just because some athletes smoke dope in their spare time doesn't mean that it makes them better sportsmen or in better shape. It means they make the choice to smoke weed. I've seen a goalie get stoned before a game, and he played fucking awful.

To say that you have a "99.9% chance" of being in greater shape than someone you've met in the Internet generally means one of two things, and sometimes both:

1) You make ridiculous claims about your physical prowess over the Internet because nobody can prove it either way, and makes you feel like a big man

2) You actually are a muscle-bound meathead, which would explain why your posts carry about as much logical weight as your Intenet ego. That is to say, very little.

So, since you've "hung out" with some 1/4 mile drivers means you know that they get stoned and drive. In other words, you've "hung out" with a few of the tens of tousands of people who drag race the 1/4 mile. Whoo, now there's an accomplishment.

I challenge you to find one bit of evidence that anyone who drives either Top Fuel Dragster or Top Fuel Funny Car races their million-dollar cars while stoned.

eljefe
12-19-2005, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by b_t
There was actually a scientific study done where they compared a control group, and then a group of people who were stoned on various amounts of weed and then a group of people who were varyingly drunk. The most stoned people (like RIDICULOUSLY stoned) were comparable to the drunk drivers who were still below the legal limit, and these people were far more stoned then you can usually get since they used pure THC for the test as opposed to actually smoking joints.

I think the only danger from driving stoned is if you burn out really hard and start falling asleep at the wheel.

Here is the actual detailed study that was done and sanctioned by the US government that involved Highway and Urban driving skills before and after marijuana use. None however were made to drive " RIDICULOUSLY" stoned. http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_driving4.shtml

AD_Runner
12-19-2005, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez

if u think driving high is less "tragic" then driving plastered then u are a complete and utter MORON :guns:

:werd:

94SSEi
12-19-2005, 09:42 AM

Sweet, merciful, crap son, could you be anymore incoherent or off base? First off, I never challenged your physical abilities, stoned or otherwise. So you can just keep getting high off your own smug sense of self satisfaction, and be content with the fact that your claim of being stronger than "me or any one of my friends" will go uncontested.

Your argument that those who smoke weed are better athletes remains in question. Earlier you said that "athletes from snowboarders to NHL players" smoke weed. Now, it's turned to WHL players, which is it? Get your story straight. Since you are so "in the know" on this topic, who are your friends in the WHL, the "top scorers"? What teams do they play for? Back up your arguments.

The same goes for your "knowledge" of the detailed inner workings of drag racing. So you "chilled" with some guys who race on weekends, big fucking deal, this suddenly qualifies you as an expert? Pfft. If you can provide concrete evidence that there are PROFESSIONAL drag racers (ie those that make money off it, not just a weekend racer) that smoke weed, and feel it gives them an advantage, then I will rescind all my statements.

Evo prec
12-19-2005, 10:02 AM
well to me if you havent tried it dont say shit. probably gonna get flamed for this but fuck it, honest you cant judge something or say shit about anything until you have tried it for yourself, fuck what other people say, what statistics say. my side is that there is nothing wrong with smokin and driving if you are capable of doin so. say all you want, but this is my opinion, just as you posted yours i posted mine.

doublepostwhore
12-19-2005, 10:02 AM
I dont avidly smoke MJ, however, I still think that even if MADD adds a clause to their campaign against pot smokers, it will only result in an influx of rediculous commercials.

I respect the work MADD does in raising public awareness, but really by the time someone is driving stoned, they have obviously been around the block a few times with weed. It is not simply a mater of telling someone not to drive stoned, it is a campaign against the actual use.
Somehow I dont think this will motivate people to think twice about smoking a j then taking a run down to uberstore to get some food. Because really, what else are they doing driving around, if not looking for food and or shelter?

5hift
12-19-2005, 10:03 AM
This thread could go on forever.... as long as you have people who have never tried weed agrueing (sp) with those who have. Rage2 said it best when he said : "For those that don't smoke it, they simply don't understand."

I blaze daily to the point where smoking a joint or a a bowl doesnt really have too much of an effect on me. I could easily pass a field sobriety test afterwards and despite what has been said, my motor skills arent screwed up (in the summer I used to blaze and play ball without any problems).

So I'm expecting to get flamed by the crowd who the majority of them are too afraid to find out for themselves, and go by what the government tells them in paid adverstisements, or by what the same religion that is surrounded in its own scandals is telling them.

abyss
12-19-2005, 10:39 AM
I don't know what to think with this one. I think imapired drivers are usually pretty easy to spot, it doesn't matter how they're impaired, cell phone, alcohol, weed, etc. It's up to the cops to pull you over if they believe you're impaired, or up to the checkstops to catch randoms who seem alright. Personally, as a former user I wasn't even able to tie my shoes properly when high, so chances are I wouldn't have been able to drive all that well either. I don't think anything will result from this other than costly advertising on MADD's part, but if it reaches people who simply can't drive stoned and prevents them from doing it then I'd say it was a successful campaign. :thumbsup:

googe
12-19-2005, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by 5hift
This thread could go on forever.... as long as you have people who have never tried weed agrueing (sp) with those who have. Rage2 said it best when he said : "For those that don't smoke it, they simply don't understand."

I blaze daily to the point where smoking a joint or a a bowl doesnt really have too much of an effect on me. I could easily pass a field sobriety test afterwards and despite what has been said, my motor skills arent screwed up (in the summer I used to blaze and play ball without any problems).

So I'm expecting to get flamed by the crowd who the majority of them are too afraid to find out for themselves, and go by what the government tells them in paid adverstisements, or by what the same religion that is surrounded in its own scandals is telling them.

couldnt have said it better, so true :thumbsup:

im not just saying that because i "smoke and drive", because i dont. never have actually. i just have to call bs when i see it :D

reminds me of a stoner joke...whats the difference between a stoned driver and a drunk driver? the drunk driver will blow the stop sign, the stoned driver will stop and wait for it to turn green

the_fornicator
12-19-2005, 11:14 AM

lol

were you molested as a child and told it was "normal" or something? cause I've seen smarter things come out of a money's ass.

3g4me
12-19-2005, 02:40 PM
I smoke regularly and i think that it does inpair you as a driver, no matter how much experience in smoking you have. Its a drug, and it fucks you up.

b_t
12-19-2005, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by eljefe

Here is the actual detailed study that was done and sanctioned by the US government that involved Highway and Urban driving skills before and after marijuana use. None however were made to drive " RIDICULOUSLY" stoned. http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_driving4.shtml

This isn't the same one I read but there are still some good quotes in here:

The study showed that a modest dose of alcohol (BAC = 0.04 g %) produced a significant impairment in city driving as measured by the molar approach, relative to placebo. More specifically, alcohol impaired vehicle handling and traffic maneuvers. Marijuana, administered in a dose of 100 mcg / kg THC, on the other hand, did not signifcantly change mean driving performance as measured by this approach.

Driving quality as rated by the subjects contrasted with observer ratings. Alcohol impaired driving performance according to the driving instructor but subjects did not perceive it; marijuana did not impair driving performance but the subjects themselves perceived their driving performance as such.

Marijuana's effects on driving performance were compared to those of many other drugs. It was concluded that THC's effects after doses up to 300 mcg / kg never exceed alcohol's at BAC's of 0.08 g %; and were in no way unusual compared to many medicinal drugs'.

Evidence from the present and previous studies stronly suggests that alcohol encourages risky driving whereas THC encourages greater caution, at least in experiments. Another way THC seems to differ qualitatively from many other drugs is that the former's users seem better able to compensate for its adverse effects while driving under the influence.

n the car following test, subjects maintained a headway of 45-50 m (148-164 ft) while driving in the successive placebo conditions. They lengthened mean headway by 8, 6 and 2 m (26.2, 19.7 and 6.6 ft) in the corresponding THC conditions after 100, 200 and 300 mcg / kg, respectively. The initially large drug-placebo difference and its subsequent decline is a surprising result. Our explanation for this observation is that the subjects' caution was greatest the first time they undertook the test under the influence of THC and progressively less thereafter. Reaction time to changes in the preceding vehicle's speed increased following THC treatment, relative to placebo. The administered THC dose was inversely related to the change in reaction time, as it was to headway.

khtm
12-19-2005, 03:03 PM
I've driven stoned a few times before when I was younger, but would never do it again.

I get super paranoid, drive like 20 kph under the limit, and almost fell asleep once.

But some people are really good at it...it all depends on how weed affects you.

sputnik
12-19-2005, 03:09 PM

You also missed the point where rage2 said that weed is STILL AN IMPAREMENT. Personally I wouldnt dare getting behind the wheel after smoking up. In my earlier days I would occasionally partake and the effect it had on my was similar to NyQuil. Light headed, tingles and borderline exaustion. I could literally fall asleep ANYWHERE and my muscle coordination and reflexes were severely disabled. The fear of hitting someone and saying "what was that?" is bad enough.

To say that the only people against driving stoned are people that have never tried weed or are sheep led by politicians shows a pretty high level of immaturity on your own part. If you cant accept that MOST people should not be driving stoned or even that driving stoned affects your ability to drive at all, you may want to reconsider your own attitude about the drug.

Its interesting that this conversation could be about banning the use of cell phones while driving and people would be all for it, bring up weed and people get all defensive.

rage2
12-19-2005, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
You also missed the point where rage2 said that weed is STILL AN IMPAREMENT.
Well yea, but coffee's an impairment too, and it also affects different people differently. Nobody's going to outlaw that anytime soon.

Melinda
12-19-2005, 03:17 PM
Hmm so many people will maintain that some people shouldn't drive stoned by they are such AMAZING drivers when they're high...best leave it alone then, eh? Make it legal and have no campaigns to raise awareness to keep these people off the roads, since the occasional driver will say they're okay to drive with a bit of weed in their system, right? Haha of course they're right, cause everyone can tell what kind of driver they are, especially when they're high :rolleyes:

Originally posted by googe
reminds me of a stoner joke...whats the difference between a stoned driver and a drunk driver? the drunk driver will blow the stop sign, the stoned driver will stop and wait for it to turn green
That might be true, but a sober driver would stop and then go when it was safe. That joke is a retarded argument IMO. A stoned driver MIGHT be safer than a drunk one, but neither one is as good as a sober driver. If anyone thinks otherwise, they shouldn't have a licence.

rage2
12-19-2005, 03:22 PM
Melinda, lemme ask you a question. Do you drink coffee on your morning drive to work?

Melinda
12-19-2005, 03:24 PM
No rage, I dont drink coffee...only tea before bed sometimes..nor do I take cough medicine unless I'm staying at home sick for the day and I try to get a decent night's sleep every night and I don't drink. Call me what you will (trust me, I've been called everything under the sun) but none of those hold against me.

doublepostwhore
12-19-2005, 05:33 PM
The long and short of it is, that it is nearly impossible to adapt a rule such as driving free of impairment to fit each driver. When you get your licence you agree to terms and clauses' which prohibit you from driving under the infleunce of anything except concentration.

This should not be an argument of whether weed is better tehn alcohol. Driving free of influence is just that. 0% any sort of substance.

If you believe you can drive high, power to you, but logistically speaking, its not something that you should be doing, or being proud of.

Regardless of the legal implications of driving stoned/drunk, it is prohibited, so instead of getting high and driving to the store/buddies, go to the store FIRST or buddies FIRST and then get high... problem solved!

googe
12-19-2005, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Melinda

That might be true, but a sober driver would stop and then go when it was safe. That joke is a retarded argument IMO. A stoned driver MIGHT be safer than a drunk one, but neither one is as good as a sober driver. If anyone thinks otherwise, they shouldn't have a licence.

thats cause its a joke, not an argument. ;) im not going to bother with stating an argument, because the statistics say it for me. cant really argue with math!

the_fornicator
12-20-2005, 12:01 AM
that's funny how they have driving tests to see if weed is an impairment. those tests are under the gross assumption that all people can drive equally as well.

I'd rather be riding shotgun with a stoner than an old person, a female or an old female any day of the week.

Toms-SC
12-20-2005, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by the_fornicator

I'd rather be riding shotgun with a stoner than an old person, a female or an old female any day of the week.

Um, wtf :eek:

eljefe
12-20-2005, 07:17 AM

wow you show such class....

Evo prec
12-20-2005, 09:10 AM
such class hahaha the_fornicator well put, i will safer in a car where somebody is driving high, just for the fact that my friends dont drive stupid, they drive the speed limit, drive in a straight line, and have no problems stopping at reds lights stop signs, slowing down for schoolzones and playground zones (when in effect) so i dont know i dont like female drivers, for example yesterday i was coming home from work and i get fingered by one lady for no reason, because i didnt let her in my lane, which i DONT HAVE TOO(unless its a merge) and got tailed about 3-5 times just last night by a lady driving a van, or big ass car. would i feel safe driving with somebody like that no, would i be safe with somebody who doesnt get close to the cars in front of him because he doesnt want to hit it, yes. ive driven high not saying you should or shouldnt, its up to every person to do what they want. but driving with somebody that is high isnt my concern, its the other people on the road that make it dangerous.

AD_Runner
12-20-2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by 3g4me
I smoke regularly and i think that it does inpair you as a driver, no matter how much experience in smoking you have. Its a drug, and it fucks you up.

:werd: and I have done it --- There are enough dumb asses out there on the road every day, much less people who are Impaired by something else.... Smoking, drinking, cell phones etc..

tirebob
12-21-2005, 09:12 AM
Just to throw in a curve ball...

Now I by no means advocate driving under the influence of anything that impairs your ability to make quick judgements in an emergency situation, but in all reality, what about people who speed, drive aggressively etc?

So many people are talking about the fact that driving under the influence is unsafe (and it is), but I would bet if all the statistics were gone over with a fine tooth comb you would find out that in the vast majority of accidents you would see that speed and/or aggressive driving plays a huge factor in thier cause. The faster you go, the longer it takes to stop, plain and simple. Combine speed and impairment and you have an even worse cocktail.

I say this because the vast majority of users on this board are auto enthusiasts, and I would venture to bet that most of the people here who stand up against impaired driving (drugs or alcohol) are NOT people who only drive the speed limit, don't corner aggressively, never tailgate, or are always calm and courtious to other drivers.

So my point is that if people are willing to take a stand against one aspect of road safety but not another, isn't that a bit hypocritical?

Now please nobody take this as a slam as I am just as guilty as anybody in regards to not always having done what is right. Hell, I work in the automotive performance industry and many of the items I sell are designed to improve the ability to drive fast, so this probably makes me one of the biggest hypocrites! :cry:

If we all think about it, driving stoned does not cause as many accidents etc as compared to a lot of other things we do behind the wheel every day and that we consider to be no big deal. (again, this in no way is to justify driving impaired in any way) In the end, we all have to look inside and make a lot of adjustments if we really want to be safe on the road instead of hiding behind the illusion of safety...

Just a thought...

Evo prec
12-21-2005, 09:45 AM
^ very good point, that is true you cant make the roads safer just goin after one aspect of safety.

sputnik
12-21-2005, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Evo prec
^ very good point, that is true you cant make the roads safer just goin after one aspect of safety.

But you cant say the roads will never get safer because there is something else making them dangerous.

If you want to make things safer you take out the culprits one at a time.

Evo prec
12-21-2005, 10:06 AM
yeah sry didnt make that clear, they cant make the roads safer just goin after one aspect and only one aspect of safety, they will need to target all aspects but over time, cause your right they wont be able to do much if they fill their plate with so many things, take them out one at a time, and they roads will soon be safe IMO.

tirebob
12-21-2005, 10:16 AM

But you cant say the roads will never get safer because there is something else making them dangerous.

If you want to make things safer you take out the culprits one at a time. Agreed, but my point is that the vast majority of us have much more damaging and dangerous, accident causing habits behind the wheel than driving after smoking pot...

Again, not advocting driving stoned, but I am much more concerned about other more socially accepted road safety issues than just villifying stoners... I personally think that one of the reasons that you don't see as much a fuss made about speeding etc is that the provinces/country make copious quantities of cash with it. Speeding tickets are essentially a tax to drive fast...

My point being that people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, at least not without turning the other the other way first. One must look inside and determine what they can do for themselves to help make the roads safer before they chastise others.

sputnik
12-21-2005, 11:51 AM
You have to start somewhere

I believe that there has been government pressure to ban the use of cell phones while driving for a while now. So just because that pot use makes the news doesnt mean that they are singling out pot to all road problems... or even the worst one.

tirebob
12-21-2005, 12:10 PM
You have to start somewhere

I believe that there has been government pressure to ban the use of cell phones while driving for a while now. So just because that pot use makes the news doesnt mean that they are singling out pot to all road problems... or even the worst one. I would definitely agree with you. Again, I am just saying that it is hard to argue against one when you partake in the other (not saying *YOU* per say) and that it is an interesting observation that the government will approach one aspect of safety differently than another when they stand to make (or lose) profit.

Personally, I think that they should approach things from the perspective that the most serious and dangerous activities should be attacked first, and then go down the list as the means become available.

eljefe
12-21-2005, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by CMSbob
I would definitely agree with you. Again, I am just saying that it is hard to argue against one when you partake in the other (not saying *YOU* per say) and that it is an interesting observation that the government will approach one aspect of safety differently than another when they stand to make (or lose) profit.

Personally, I think that they should approach things from the perspective that the most serious and dangerous activities should be attacked first, and then go down the list as the means become available.

Actually this thread was not a thing about government approaching one thing different than another, it was about MADD( Mothers against drunk driving) advertising campaigns directed towards awareness of the issue.

tirebob
12-21-2005, 12:23 PM

tirebob
12-21-2005, 12:25 PM

tirebob
12-21-2005, 12:27 PM
Sorry man, I did realize that... I was making a comment on society and unsafe driving.

Special interest groups will always approach it from the aspect that directly concerms themselves, and MADD is a great organization that has done a lot to make the roads safer, but that doesn't take away from the fact that there are other areas that pose as big, or even bigger, a threat to public safety than pot and driving... And again to be clear, I am not suggesting in any way, shape, or form that driving impaired is not a big deal.

frostyda9
12-21-2005, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by CMSbob
my point is that the vast majority of us have much more damaging and dangerous, accident causing habits behind the wheel than driving after smoking pot...

:thumbsup: When I used to smoke weed, I felt an absolute sense of focus when I drove high. I was not distracted by anything, driving the car and being acutely aware of my surroundings was literally the only thing on my mind. I by no means condone doing it, but if it affects you like it used to affect me, you know exactly what I mean...and you see why some people will not be so quick to judge it as absolutely terrible and horribly dangerous.

AD_Runner
12-22-2005, 10:13 AM
Honesty their are several things that make people impaired to drive.... No matter what the issue is, they all need to be fixed and harder punishments the first time around, to make them think twice about what they are doing when getting behind the wheel of a vehicle..... I love to drive fast, and getting a speeding ticket once in awhile does not make me think twice ---- Sad to say ---- But if they was going to put my ass in jail or something worse, I would stop speeding because I would not want to spend one hour in jail--- so a harder fine to pay for speeding would slow my ass down .......

Tyler883
12-22-2005, 10:59 AM
I'm madd against weed. too

:werd:

nvrsummerboards
01-17-2006, 12:53 AM

Is it illegal = check

Weed Causes NO harm yet proven in tests, and yes i have proof from asking a doctor FACE to face. It can impare people diffrent ways, i can smoke a whole ounce and still be able to drive, and yes i have done that before

Originally posted by Gondi Stylez

-20 For MADD motion, but yah drinking is so much worse then bud.

i agree since i can smoke and drive with ease.

marijuana was only made illegal back in the early 1900's because of the anti-asiatic act. not because it was wreckless.

caffiene does the latter 2 of your examples so are you gonna start shitting down coffee drinkers' throats?

learn how to make a point first in an argument before you pick a side.

weed affects everybody differently so to say that it's an outright impairment is irresponsible. main point is that people should simply learn some personal restraint when it comes to smoking dope.

yah caffiene can f you up haha if you drink alot but i don't drink that much caffiene so i owuldn't know if thats true.

----------
Smoking weed while driving is one of the simpilest things i've done, now i know people who smoke a bowl and couldn't drive worth sh*t, but i could smoke as much as i want of any type and still drive i'll prove it to just sya how much and the kind and i'll have a pic of it in 2 months after i grow it so anyone want to challenge me just send a pm, unless ur the feds, gotta keep away from them

5hift
01-17-2006, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by nvrsummerboards

Weed Causes NO harm yet proven in tests, and yes i have proof from asking a doctor FACE to face. It can impare people diffrent ways, i can smoke a whole ounce and still be able to drive, and yes i have done that before

uhh ok

I'm no newb to smoking weed, and I do smoke quite regularily and in copious amounts, but common man. There's a difference between enjoying weed and being in complete denial (or clueless).

The post you made looks like what someone who has never actually smoked, but pretends he has would make. I've never heard of someone smoking an ounce in one sitting by themself. Out of curiousity, do you know how much weed an ounce actually is? Do you seriously expect anyone to believe you smoke 28 grams of weed in a single sitting? You do realize that after you smoke a certain amount of weed in one sitting, smoking any more will just cause you to burn out faster and will actually reduce your high? Not to mention I think your lungs would go into respirtory distress halfway through trying to smoke a whole ounce even if it was just to prove a point. And oh yeah, marijuana smoke contains carcigins (sp?) so I dont get how it doesnt cause any harm to your lungs, especially after someone like you smokes 28 grams of it in one sitting.

handsomebassman
01-17-2006, 01:43 AM

uhh ok

I'm no newb to smoking weed, and I do smoke quite regularily and in copious amounts, but common man. There's a difference between enjoying weed and being in complete denial (or clueless).

The post you made looks like what someone who has never actually smoked, but pretends he has would make. I've never heard of someone smoking an ounce in one sitting by themself. Out of curiousity, do you know how much weed an ounce actually is? Do you seriously expect anyone to believe you smoke 28 grams of weed in a single sitting? You do realize that after you smoke a certain amount of weed in one sitting, smoking any more will just cause you to burn out faster and will actually reduce your high? Not to mention I think your lungs would go into respirtory distress halfway through trying to smoke a whole ounce even if it was just to prove a point. And oh yeah, marijuana smoke contains carcigins (sp?) so I dont get how it doesnt cause any harm to your lungs, especially after someone like you smokes 28 grams of it in one sitting. :werd: :werd: :werd:

nvrsummerboards
01-17-2006, 01:51 AM

uhh ok

The post you made looks like what someone who has never actually smoked, but pretends he has would make. I've never heard of someone smoking an ounce in one sitting by themself. Out of curiousity, do you know how much weed an ounce actually is? Do you seriously expect anyone to believe you smoke 28 grams of weed in a single sitting? You do realize that after you smoke a certain amount of weed in one sitting, smoking any more will just cause you to burn out faster and will actually reduce your high? Not to mention I think your lungs would go into respirtory distress halfway through trying to smoke a whole ounce even if it was just to prove a point. And oh yeah, marijuana smoke contains carcigins (sp?) so I dont get how it doesnt cause any harm to your lungs, especially after someone like you smokes 28 grams of it in one sitting.

are you stupid or have you not heard of vaporizers, and i've been smoking since iwas 10 and so im really immune to it so it takes alot to get me high.

gp36912
01-17-2006, 01:53 AM
i say go MADD also, anything that impairs your judgement or alters your state of mind is dangerous on the road. even if its a cellphone conversation(damn you people:P)

rage2
01-17-2006, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by gp36912
i say go MADD also, anything that impairs your judgement or alters your state of mind is dangerous on the road. even if its a cellphone conversation(damn you people:P)
Don't forget to add these to your list that will impair your judgement or alters your state of mind:

- Tylenol
- Coffee
- Cough Syrup
- Cigarettes
- Music / Car Stereos / Speakers

There's much more I can add, but my fingers are getting tired from typing.

5hift
01-17-2006, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by nvrsummerboards

are you stupid or have you not heard of vaporizers, and i've been smoking since iwas 10 and so im really immune to it so it takes alot to get me high.

What do vaporizers have anything to do with you making stories up about smoking a entire ounce and then going joy riding in your mom's car? Using a vaporizer reduces some of the risks that come from the smoke but that has nothing to do with what I was calling you out for.

Lets just imagine this was even possible, and that you were so immune to weed that you needed a ounce to get high. Because of this, your THC dependancy would be through the roof. Meaning you would have to smoke your 'ounce' several times a day at least, so not feel the withdrawl that regular smokers go through if they dont have their daily dose of THC. Considering your in the US where weed is even more expensive, an ounce that costs $150-$200 would be easily over $250 there, meaning your spending $500+ on weed per day. For some reason I have a hard time believing a kid still in highschool could afford that habit.

I wouldnt be surprised if in reality, you couldnt even tell me your name after smoking a pinner.

nvrsummerboards
01-17-2006, 02:06 AM

Don't forget to add these to your list that will impair your judgement or alters your state of mind:

- Tylenol
- Coffee
- Cough Syrup
- Cigarettes

Beautiful, just Beautiful :cry:
why diss the pot smokers when theres funner drugs to diss

gp36912
01-17-2006, 02:08 AM
:P thats true :P damn you people are too smart lol:D and yes tylenol 3 would cause you to become drowsy sometimes. coffee can get someone to be overanxious to some, but its usualy used to fix a impaired state of mind. cough syrup, same deal as tylenol. cigarette smokers are pretty bad too :P you are now trying to hold a cigarette in your hand, might cause some people to not fully hold the steering wheel, and if your driving a standard, then your otherhand is down at the shifter while the one holding the cigarette is half on the wheel, if something were to happen up front, u won't have control over your car.
and the last thing you mentioned, music :P that can be argueable both ways, there are people that are ditzy and bounce around to the music and etc. whereas there are people like me that have the stereo on but barely hear anything thats playing :P i just tune it out, gives my mind something else to do. (ive got add sry) i over think stuff alot but u get the idea

gp36912
01-17-2006, 02:09 AM
wow in the time it took me to type that rediculously long message 2 people have posted :P lol

5hift
01-17-2006, 02:10 AM

- Tylenol
- Coffee
- Cough Syrup
- Cigarettes

:rofl:

You gotta keep the audience in mind man, half the anti-weed guys here probably get dizzy from drinking their root beer too fast.

rage2
01-17-2006, 02:16 AM
As I've stated many times before, I'm not condoning smoking up and driving. There's just way more stupid dangerous driving distractions and impairments that MADD should target instead of wasting their time on weed. It's such a waste of time, money and effort.

They should really get MADD against crystal meth or something, have you seen those bait car videos with guys on meth in Vancouver? Talk about dangerous!

gp36912
01-17-2006, 02:16 AM
^^^^:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: nice, but u see what i'm saying though right? well i guess i missed out on something though, instead of just saying stuff that alters your state of mind, i should say stuff that moderately alters your state of mind, the stuff he mentioned has a mild alteration effect, but that also depends on the person :P cough syrup knocks me cousin out in 10 minutes flat, no matter how much sleep hes had.

gp36912
01-17-2006, 02:18 AM
lol rage posted before i finished, i guess i'll comment on his :P

:werd: rage does make a good point, people don't usualy smoke weed and drive cars, at least not that ive seen much, even though there are alot of stoners near my school ( its sad i know but i went to bowness high) and the most accidents weve had is stupid blondes on cell phones not looking where they were going at a stop sign

rage2
01-17-2006, 02:20 AM
the most accidents weve had is stupid blondes on cell phones not looking where they were going at a stop sign
How about MADD against dumbasses? I've been a victim of 2 dumbasses that rear ended me. I'm a victim god dammit!

gp36912
01-17-2006, 02:23 AM
don't worry man, i know the feeling... my car is still in the shop because of a woman had rear ended my car, and on top of that she pushed my car into the one in front while i was unconscious.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110663

thats the damage she did.

Billet
01-17-2006, 10:43 AM
I don't think they believe in the fact you drive better high. :D

show me this 'fact'

B.S.

Tomaz
01-17-2006, 10:43 AM
Anything that impares your driving is a terrable thing. Wether it is weed, alcohol, testosterone, sleep deprivation, stress, etc. All of it affects your driving.

Anyone who says that any of those things or anything else makes them drive better, proves a point that they, themselves are influenced by the effects of all the previous stated.

Cell phones i agree, also affect your driving. I am going to have installed into my new car a speakerphone system into my next car. Even having an earpeice help you out a lot while driving. In london, it is illegal to have a cellphone that isn't on a speakerphone system in your car. Really big fine i hear too!

natejj
01-17-2006, 09:55 PM

:rofl:

You gotta keep the audience in mind man, half the anti-weed guys here probably get dizzy from drinking their root beer too fast.

Why you gotta hate the root beer.....

nvrsummerboards
01-17-2006, 10:51 PM
haha this is random but im rolling joints right now, and i love school high and i get good grades:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

AD_Runner
01-17-2006, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by 3G

My friend lost his license for 24 hours for driving high

They should of lost their license longer then that period --- People are not going to learn unless the punishment is harder -- and hopefully then they will learn -- IMO -- :burnout:

gp36912
01-18-2006, 01:11 AM
the thing is most people that get high can't afford a car, think about it, even if they have a job alot of their money is going into weed, i don't know the going rate right now. but still after that type of money going out the door, who the hell would have money for a car and insurance, let alone having to pay bills and groceries.

googe
01-18-2006, 01:42 AM
the thing is most people that get high can't afford a car, think about it, even if they have a job alot of their money is going into weed, i don't know the going rate right now. but still after that type of money going out the door, who the hell would have money for a car and insurance, let alone having to pay bills and groceries.

oh my goodness, where do these morons come from and how do we stop them from making more?

tapout
01-18-2006, 04:52 AM

Is it illegal = check

Maybe you could attempt to explain the differences you see? :werd: to all 3