PDA

View Full Version : Stolen cars.....

Mikey_008
12-18-2005, 12:30 AM
I've been noticing a lot of cars being stolen lately. Particulary Civic's and Integra's (no surprise). And since that I'm a drivier of an Integra, I'm kinda getting a bit paranoid.
Now knowing that Civic's and Integras are the mostly likely cars to be stolen, are owners of these cars goin out to have alarms installed? Or car alarm systems even doing the trick anymore?

What other method of security are ppl using besides the alarm and the club?

Toms-SC
12-18-2005, 12:37 AM
Something to disable your car.

For example my SCT chip has an anti-theft setting which will prevent the car from starting. :D I'm hoping in the Honda world there is something similar to a kill switch.

EstoMax
12-18-2005, 12:39 AM
wire a fuelpump cutoff switch in... or starter cutoff.. one of my 240 friends doesnt have an alarm but every time he parks for extended periods of time he pops the hood and unplugs the starter cable :rofl:

Zero102
12-18-2005, 01:54 AM
In the case of my 951, for a little while earlier in the year, there was a rash of car thefts, I got really paranoid, and took the coil wire with me every time I parked it. Eventually that became too much of a pain in the ass, and I stopped doing it.

There are lots of little ways to theft-proof your car, but if they take it with a tow truck, there is virtually nothing you can do to stop them.
An alarm with starter kill, and ignition disable would be nice, and may slow the thiefs down.

A_3
12-18-2005, 02:01 AM
Alot of the cars being stolen lately have alarms, so i'm going to say that's not a deterent in the least, unless you bury the alarm wire somewhere the theifs can't get at quickly. It's always a good idea to keep your car as clean as possible, don't leave junk laying around inside the car, just attracts the thieves more. Remove your cd decks for gods sake. A club isn't a bad idea either, but if the theif is totally determined he'll just cut through your steering wheel with a hack saw and be on his merry way. I think what Calgary needs is the lo-jack system, GPS tracking so if the car does it stolen it can be quickly located. We should figure out someway to bring this system to Calgary.

lastprodigy
12-18-2005, 02:34 AM
^ only a crappy alarm install has easily accesible wires...

Drsuce
12-18-2005, 03:00 AM
get a removable steering wheel, and hide it in the trunk or under a seat or somthing....

thief will prolly just walk past your car if it has no steeringwheel :)

handsomebassman
12-18-2005, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by A_3
Alot of the cars being stolen lately have alarms, so i'm going to say that's not a deterent in the least, unless you bury the alarm wire somewhere the theifs can't get at quickly. It's always a good idea to keep your car as clean as possible, don't leave junk laying around inside the car, just attracts the thieves more. Remove your cd decks for gods sake. A club isn't a bad idea either, but if the theif is totally determined he'll just cut through your steering wheel with a hack saw and be on his merry way. I think what Calgary needs is the lo-jack system, GPS tracking so if the car does it stolen it can be quickly located. We should figure out someway to bring this system to Calgary.

What do you guys think of this?

http://www.advantrack.com/hw_junior.htm

FatboyTheHungry
12-18-2005, 03:14 AM
Very interesting... Wonder if anyone offers this locally...

VWbloke
12-18-2005, 03:22 AM
Yep, here's a local one:

http://www.gpspolice.net