PDA

View Full Version : Official don't-steal-my car tips

90Tegra
12-18-2005, 01:32 PM
since many cars are getting stolen lately in your area and in general, i thought of making this thread to help people out. if you have some info please add on

1. Get a good alarm and make sure a professional installs it
2. Get a kill switch
3. Get a gas cap that has a key lock ( helps trust me)
4. drive with not alot of gas in your car (i usually always fill mine up right to the middle or sometimes less unless im going on a trip)
5. always close ur sunroof or windows all the way up.
6. don't leave a spare key in ur car.
7. Turn car wheels sharply toward or away from the curb and set the brake.
8. if you have a manual car always leave it in gear 1 or reverse.
9. a detachable steering wheel would help
10. never leave ur car running to warm it up or if u do make sure its somewhere where u can easily spot it.
11. when u go shopping and come back to put some in ur car than go back make sure u put it in ur trunk or under a seat.

can't think of anymore but if u guyz could add on.

handsomebassman
12-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Good tips man :thumbsup: .

But alot of people here who are having troubles with car theft unfortunatly do have fairly good alarms. But the rest of the tips are great ways to improve safety from theft. And i wish i could have a removable steering wheel, because that would be quite a large theft deterent.

RX-7_TWINTURBO
12-18-2005, 01:48 PM
hidden kill switch is one of the best ideas... i have one in my car :thumbsup:

handsomebassman
12-18-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by RX-7_TWINTURBO
hidden kill switch is one of the best ideas... i have one in my car :thumbsup: how does the hidden kill switch work? I dont know if it matters for my car. It has a chip in the key so that it wont start up and junk without the chip. I have no idea what this means for me.:nut:

retro-steve
12-18-2005, 01:56 PM
i have a stock immobilizer with my car but on my old car my "alarm" was some empty 9mm casings and a clip laying on the passanger seat. no laws against it and i didn't have a single break in :D

brandon
12-18-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by handsomebassman
how does the hidden kill switch work? I dont know if it matters for my car. It has a chip in the key so that it wont start up and junk without the chip. I have no idea what this means for me.:nut:

It is a switch that cut's into your battery's power line so when it's switched off then your battery is off and no power to your car.

RX-7_TWINTURBO
12-18-2005, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by handsomebassman
how does the hidden kill switch work? I dont know if it matters for my car. It has a chip in the key so that it wont start up and junk without the chip. I have no idea what this means for me.:nut:
my switch kills the power to the fuel pump...no fuel = no stolen car

90Tegra
12-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by RX-7_TWINTURBO

my switch kills the power to the fuel pump...no fuel = no stolen car

yes most are to the fuel pump.:thumbsup:

Speed_69
12-18-2005, 02:34 PM
how much would a kill switch cost around and where can i get one(installed as well) ?

Grip172
12-18-2005, 02:35 PM
any links to do your own safety kill switch?

GTS Jeff
12-18-2005, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by 90Tegra

I'd like to add to this. Not just any professional will do. In fact, most "professionals" will take short cuts to speed the job. You need to find someone who is willing to take their time to do things right. A good install will take twice as long as any typical install. What I mean is, very well hidden wiring, making sure all the options are wired up properly, redundancy wiring, hidden brain...the whole shebang.

95EagleAWD
12-18-2005, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by retro-steve
i have a stock immobilizer with my car but on my old car my "alarm" was some empty 9mm casings and a clip laying on the passanger seat. no laws against it and i didn't have a single break in :D

I'd smash your window just to get a free mag.. :D

JK...

Detachable steering wheel is a good idea, and the ol' hidden kill switch is the best.

rc2002
12-18-2005, 03:19 PM
Or take your ECU with you when you leave your car. :)

7thgenvic
12-18-2005, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

very true!!! even though its kinda a pain in the ass! its not hard to take out.

Newk
12-18-2005, 03:33 PM
I use a hidden starter button.

freakin
12-18-2005, 03:53 PM
The hidden kill switch is the way to go! Well, that on top of all of the other options.

If you're in a pinch, just pull fuses out....same idea.

Police
12-18-2005, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

HAHAHA reminds me of time when these mexicans tried to pop start my buddies civic with no ecu in it hahaha after about 2 blocks they gave up.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ohh yeah i believe you forgot STEERING WHELL LOCK or BRAKE PEDAL LOCK actually they even have a shifter lock for auto cars maybe even for manual too.

Weapon_R
12-18-2005, 04:48 PM
The best thing is a hidden fuel kill switch. A thief won't take the time to figure out why the car isn't starting.

iceburns288
12-18-2005, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Grip172
any links to do your own safety kill switch?
:werd:

My sister just bought a Mercedes and as a birthday or Christmas present I'd like to do some of this for her.

Sharpie
12-18-2005, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288

:werd:

My sister just bought a Mercedes and as a birthday or Christmas present I'd like to do some of this for her.
If it is new you dont want to touch it:)

BerserkerCatSplat
12-18-2005, 07:01 PM
A fuel pump kill switch is the best, most cost-effective way of making your car tough to steal. Thieves won't spend their time trying to get the car to start, they'll just move on to the next vehicle.

A more intensive solution is a key-operated fuel shutoff valve - that is, it physically interrupts the fuel feed lines. Even if the theives find the valve, they can't reconnect the fuel lines like they can an electrical wire. The only way past it is to pick the lock.

I seem to remember someone who integrated a biometric fingerprint scanner into his ignition system/ECU, so only 3 designated people could start the car.

darkbanana
12-18-2005, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
I seem to remember someone who integrated a biometric fingerprint scanner into his ignition system/ECU, so only 3 designated people could start the car.

It's like ten times stronger than a normal finger...

Newk
12-18-2005, 07:11 PM
NANANANANANANNANANANNNA.

EK 2.0
12-18-2005, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Newk
NANANANANANANNANANANNNA.

for all you kids out there...that was the Six Million Dollar Man sound.

BerserkerCatSplat
12-18-2005, 07:22 PM
I have no idea what you guys are going on about. :nut: I keep having this sneaking suspicion I'm the butt of a joke here...

Anyway, apparently some company in India makes them:

http://www.ravirajtech.com/fingerprint_car_lock_immobilizer_alarm_india.html

Euro_Trash
12-18-2005, 07:22 PM
Haha those last 3 posts made my day

Grip172
12-18-2005, 07:34 PM
hahahaha biometric finger..nice

that would be handy

but there is now way i would want to use a key to lock/unlock my fuel cutoff switch everytime i go to use my car

i would use that at night time when it'll be parked for a fewhours..but not if i am in the grocery store or picking up a cd or something y aknow

BerserkerCatSplat
12-18-2005, 07:38 PM
Biometrics is the study of automated methods for uniquely recognizing humans based upon one or more intrinsic physical or behavioral traits. The term is derived from the Greek words "bios" for life and "metron" for measure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biometric

I wasn't talking about cyborgs! :rofl: :rofl:

iceburns288
12-18-2005, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Sharpie
If it is new you dont want to touch it:)

I don't want anyone else to touch it though;)

Newk
12-18-2005, 08:05 PM
hahahaha biometric finger..nice

that would be handy

but there is now way i would want to use a key to lock/unlock my fuel cutoff switch everytime i go to use my car

i would use that at night time when it'll be parked for a fewhours..but not if i am in the grocery store or picking up a cd or something y aknow

My hidden started button kinda works like a kill switch but I don't have to turn it off every time I get out of the car. It is always off, I have to hit a (hidden)momentary switch before turning the key will work.

iceburns288
12-18-2005, 08:12 PM
^ wait how does that work?

Newk
12-18-2005, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288
^ wait how does that work?

I have a momentary switch between the starter circuit and the key, if the switch is not closed the starter doesn't turn.

FiveFreshFish
12-18-2005, 08:34 PM
Keep your registration and insurance in your wallet, in case your car does get stolen. No need for the crooks to know your identity or address. Leave nothing in the car that identifies you.

When you're home, switch your garage door opener so it ignore all remote control signals.

dooman24
12-18-2005, 08:39 PM
where do you get that kind of switch?
and the half tank of gas thing..
i hear having a less than a half tank of gas is bad for your car or something.

bradwatson
12-18-2005, 08:43 PM
I'm personally liking the ignition key pad. 5-Digit code required before the car will start. That is, after the thief finds the keypad in the glove box. Muaahaha

I've also heard of people who have a certain order of doing things when you get into the car. I.E. You have to open door, sit down, then put on the seatbelt, then turn on your lights, then close the door, etc. Something like that is completely hidden and the thief would definetly move on to the next car.

Brad

Sharpie
12-18-2005, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by bradwatson
I'm personally liking the ignition key pad. 5-Digit code required before the car will start. That is, after the thief finds the keypad in the glove box. Muaahaha

I've also heard of people who have a certain order of doing things when you get into the car. I.E. You have to open door, sit down, then put on the seatbelt, then turn on your lights, then close the door, etc. Something like that is completely hidden and the thief would definetly move on to the next car.

Brad
what happens if you are being robbed and you try and get into your car and get away... Oh can you hold on 2 min, I got to start my car....

arian_ma
12-19-2005, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Sharpie

what happens if you are being robbed and you try and get into your car and get away... Oh can you hold on 2 min, I got to start my car....

Well then you are just plain unlucky arn't you.

AllGoNoShow
12-19-2005, 06:48 AM
You people putting kill switches in your car also piss me off. Yes sure, trying to prevent theifts of the vehicle are great! But when you drop it off for service, TELL THEM WHERE THE HELL IT IS. I now refuse to sit in that damn punchbuggy with the kill switch, took 45 mins of screwing with knobs and shit to finally find the switch.

Moonracer
12-19-2005, 09:43 AM
Next to the kill switch I like the detatchable steering wheel idea. It not only deters a thief from stealing the car but deters them from breaking in and causing any potential damage.

sputnik
12-19-2005, 09:58 AM
since many cars are getting stolen lately in your area and in general, i thought of making this thread to help people out. if you have some info please add on

2. Get a kill switch
3. Get a gas cap that has a key lock ( helps trust me)
4. drive with not alot of gas in your car (i usually always fill mine up right to the middle or sometimes less unless im going on a trip)
5. always close ur sunroof or windows all the way up.
6. don't leave a spare key in ur car.
7. Turn car wheels sharply toward or away from the curb and set the brake.
8. if you have a manual car always leave it in gear 1 or reverse.
9. a detachable steering wheel would help
10. never leave ur car running to warm it up or if u do make sure its somewhere where u can easily spot it.
11. when u go shopping and come back to put some in ur car than go back make sure u put it in ur trunk or under a seat.

can't think of anymore but if u guyz could add on.

1. I've seen the best alarms disabled by theives
2. Not a bad idea. However like anything it is only useful if relifiously used. It also doesnt help from having a window and steering column smashed in an unsuccessful theft attempt.
3. Pretty good idea. However I hate having to go outside everytime I go through full serve.
4. Dumb idea. I am not interested in going to the gas station everyday just so that a theif can only drive 150 km.
5. O RLY?
6. O RLY?
7. Most cars that get stolen with a tow truck arent usually parallel parked. Even so, they could easily put a dolly under your front tires (or lift the front of the car up if its FWD).
8. Most cars dont get towed with the drive wheels on the ground.
9. Unrealistic as most cars have airbags and other fancy electronics built in.
10. O RLY?
11. People are watching you put stuff into the trunk.

Here is my list.

1. Park in well lit high traffic areas.
2. Dont leave valubles (or any belongings) visible in your car.
3. Lock your doors and trunk, close your windows.
4. Avoid driving around with your stereo cranked as it announces to everyone that you have subs/amps etc.
5. Avoid highly visible mods/stickers.

DelSoln
12-19-2005, 03:08 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b368/DelSoln/03_1.jpg

2000_SI
12-19-2005, 03:11 PM
^^^WTF is that?

Sharpie
12-19-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by 2000_SI
^^^WTF is that?
it is a wheel lock thing...

FiveFreshFish
12-19-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by 2000_SI
^^^WTF is that?

It's best known as a "Denver Boot."

http://www.denverboot.com/

http://wctproducts.com/immobilizer_menu.htm

Sharpie
12-19-2005, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Thats what it is, I couldn't think of the name:banghead:

2000_SI
12-19-2005, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Gotcha...:thumbsup:

freakin
12-19-2005, 04:28 PM
One thing to remember for anyone thinking of disabling their starter is that once the ignition is hotwired, all you have to do it push start the car.

90Tegra
12-21-2005, 01:18 PM
just ordered a nrg quick release hub.:thumbsup:

Nissanaddict
12-21-2005, 01:47 PM
hence why fuel disable, ECM disable (or remove) or ignition disable is a much better solution. If you have an automatic starter disable's fine though. ECM remove is probably the best. And get 2 of those denver boots, and nobody can tow your car. Drive ONLY a Mercedes G-Wagon with bulletproof glass so they can't break that.....honestly, do what you can/want. Write to every level of government to increase penalties for theft, because most people who sit less than 10 years, come out to do it again. Stealing (especially from just a person) should be 30 years. Honestly. It would discourage that's for sure. Our justice system is a joke. And illegal to have a security system that causes bodily harm? That's no fair too.

GQBalla
12-21-2005, 05:22 PM
the boot is a horrible idea, ill juss call homer to come with a jack hammer to fix it up for me!!

Grip172
12-21-2005, 06:06 PM
ok wtf are you goign to do with your steering wheel every time if its detachable?

you can of course take it in ur house with you when you're home..but what about if you're in the mall late at night or catching a late night movie?! or parked at a pub/bar?!

you can't take a steering whell inside with you haha

bradwatson
12-22-2005, 02:31 AM
ok wtf are you goign to do with your steering wheel every time if its detachable?

you can of course take it in ur house with you when you're home..but what about if you're in the mall late at night or catching a late night movie?! or parked at a pub/bar?!

A tough problem indeed. I would just take off the steering wheel and hide it in the car/trunk if you're in a pinch. Sure the thieves can watch you do this, but if they dont watch you do it, you're all good! Of course, when possible/reasonable, bring the wheel with you.

Brad

Hakkola
12-22-2005, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Here is my list.

Doesn't work, when my car was broken into it was in a fairly high traffic part of the lot, right by where every car enters and exits. People are fucking douchebags and don't give a shit.

If I ever see anybody trying to break into my car or even looking in it I'd probably punch them in the back of the head, and if there was broken glass I'd hunt down everybody in the vacinty who didn't alert security.

When an alarm goes how many people check which car's alarm is going off and check to see if it's safe? Not many.

:banghead:

EK 2.0
12-22-2005, 09:26 AM

Meh, chicks dig guys who carry their bike helmets in the spring/summer, why not a guy who walks around with his wheel??

Moonracer
12-22-2005, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

Meh, chicks dig guys who carry their bike helmets in the spring/summer, why not a guy who walks around with his wheel??

The removable wheel idea is also particularily good for the attention whore car enthusiast. It makes a good conversation piece and a great way to get on the subject of your car. :rofl:

DelSoln
12-22-2005, 12:35 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b368/DelSoln/wrap_features.jpg

I saw another product very similar to this on tv awhile ago except the thing covered the entire steering wheel.

eb0i
12-22-2005, 12:54 PM
I have a trunk monkey, hope that's enough. :dunno:

Though this kill switch thing is interesting. Do you guys install this yourself or have a professional do it?

SilverBoost
12-22-2005, 01:38 PM
Apparently the best way to avoid getting your car stolen is NOT to park at SAIT. Man that shit is just getting out of hand.

Quick release wheel is a good idea, but you have to take it wth you. otherwise it's pretty useless. Of course I don't think someone looking to steal a car is going to even try if the wheel is gone.

The kill switch is a good idea and not very hard to do yourself if you have some electrical knowhow. The fuel pump works well. Get creative on where you place the kill switch and fuse it if you can so that you can take the fuse with you. I don't think too many thieves are gonna go Mcguyver on you and bridge it with a stick of chewing gum wrapper or anything. :)

Another thing is not to post the security systems that you personally use anywhere in this thread or on this forum. I have a few tricks on mine but I'll be damned if I'm gonna give them to anybody.

DTA man - Don't trust ANYONE (taken from slys movie Lockup) ;)

Sharpie
12-22-2005, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

Just put it on a chain and wear it around your neck.:)

90Tegra
12-22-2005, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by SilverBoost

Another thing is not to post the security systems that you personally use anywhere in this thread or on this forum. I have a few tricks on mine but I'll be damned if I'm gonna give them to anybody.

DTA man - Don't trust ANYONE (taken from slys movie Lockup) ;)

true. u never know how many thieves are on this site.

USHER
12-22-2005, 06:19 PM

2. Not a bad idea. However like anything it is only useful if relifiously used. It also doesnt help from having a window and steering column smashed in an unsuccessful theft attempt.
3. Pretty good idea. However I hate having to go outside everytime I go through full serve.
4. Dumb idea. I am not interested in going to the gas station everyday just so that a theif can only drive 150 km.
5. O RLY?
6. O RLY?
7. Most cars that get stolen with a tow truck arent usually parallel parked. Even so, they could easily put a dolly under your front tires (or lift the front of the car up if its FWD).
10. O RLY?

Here is my list.

4. Avoid driving around with your stereo cranked as it announces to everyone that you have subs/amps etc.

3. O RLY?

dkny_stylez
12-22-2005, 07:15 PM

4. drive with not alot of gas in your car (i usually always fill mine

you won't be gettin good gas mileage then

:drama:

90Tegra
12-22-2005, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by dkny_stylez

you won't be gettin good gas mileage then

:drama:

lol wtf? care to explain how?

Toms-SC
12-23-2005, 12:04 AM
1) Don't drive a Honda Civic or Integra between the years of 1994-2001

:D

mr.loco
12-23-2005, 12:37 AM
i connected my alarm to my stereo so when my alarm boes off then you can hear it a couple blocks away

HiSpec
12-25-2005, 03:31 AM
^^
that too, or have ur alarm relayed to your audio system, lights, neons, sirens, honks.... so when your alarm is tripped, your car is a moving concert with sounds and lights flashing and strobing. Then EVERYONE will notice your car is not "normal".

Or if someone have the mind of Q from James Bond. Short your positive lead to your car's body if your alarm is tripped, so your entire chassis is "alive".

jericho50
12-27-2005, 03:05 PM
Best tip you all seem to be missing is:

- Drive an 86 mazda 626.

I drove one for years, I could open my drivers side door with a quarter and nobody even tried to steal her. I also had an option on it where it would randomly not start nomatter what you did to it.

... If I were going to remove a fuse, which would you guys recomend?

HiSpec
12-28-2005, 12:05 AM
ignition fuse?
fuel pump fuse?

ga16i
12-29-2005, 07:58 PM
have the alarm hooked up to some loud ass air horns, might help, they even carry them at canadian tire now! :thumbsup:

the carrying steerling wheel idea sounds nice, we can look like those people who have the whole motorcycle suit thing going. We can do the same, except w/ racing suits, shoes and gloves too. hmm.... wonder why there aren't more people doing that... gotta get me a racing suit now

Arthur Dent
12-30-2005, 06:17 PM
I tried for months to have my old lemon 98 Civic stolen back in 2000 - no takers :(

badatusrnames
03-19-2008, 04:40 PM
The stolen 550i thread got me thinking about how I can better theft proof my car, I found this thread, so bump if anyone has any new tips.

Any opinions on The Club? It can be defeated easily enough if someone is determined and had the time and tools, but does it make for a good visual deterrent?

I'm definitely going to wire in a fuel pump kill switch soon...

Found a club thread:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=199709

tentacles
03-19-2008, 05:48 PM
If you have a standalone ECU, you could program it to only start after you do something specific. I've heard of guys programming it so that you have to push the gas/clutch in and out in a certain sequence in order to start the car?

dr_jared88
03-19-2008, 05:52 PM
a little bit of a bump hey? haha but yea that thread made me think about if my car was to be stolen and come back like that.

The problem is I would think that putting a fuel cutoff switch in a vehicle with warranty would void it. Anyone know?

AE92_TreunoSC
03-19-2008, 05:57 PM
I always park under a street light, and leave my glove box and console open, showing there's nothing to steal.

Also, rather then bothering to make a kill switch, I simply pull a main 50amp fuse from my fuse box thats hidden in bmw's.

Sky
03-20-2008, 01:38 AM
Brake lock. Good luck sawing off the solid brake pedal. I have never heard of anyway to remove it easily.

Everyone always mentions using the Club and how it will slow thieves down by 1min. Yes, its more visible but I'd rather have them break in to the car and have them shit their pants when they see that brake lock.

GabrielE
03-20-2008, 01:54 AM
Thats too bad though
a lot of us have to put a lot of money
on just the security of our cars
but yeah I dont know it all depends on your luck too
I mean i have a broken window that easily can be pushed down...

...oh shit, NOW YOU ALL KNOW!!! OH NO!!!!

alloroc
03-20-2008, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Newk
NANANANANANANNANANANNNA.

Priceless.

topmade
03-20-2008, 07:47 AM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned a club yet, it's the most visible deterent you can get other then flashy red led's and stickers about a fancy alarm. A hidden kill switch is good, but it's "hidden" so theives won't know you have it and might still break into your car to try to steal it then end up vandalizing the shit out of it when they get pissed off and can't start it. Most thefts are random so a visible deterent and some common sense about not leaving stuff out in the open for a quick smash and grab, and not having open house parties is all you need.

RUQUIKR
03-20-2008, 07:56 AM

I have had a detachable wheel for a couple years now and the truth is , you can only hide it or lock it down somewhere. Hopefully the fact that the car doesnt seem very easy to steal, will be deterent enough. Best idea is a hidden killswitch IMO.

SeanDon
03-20-2008, 08:52 AM

5. O RLY?
6. O RLY?
10. O RLY?

Here is my list.

4. Yep buy $1000 worth of audio equipment but dont turn it up past 5!

SeanDon
03-20-2008, 08:52 AM

5. O RLY?
6. O RLY?
10. O RLY?

Here is my list.

4. Yep buy $1000 worth of audio equipment but dont turn it up past 5!

Palmiros
03-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Sky

Everyone always mentions using the Club and how it will slow thieves down by 1min. Yes, its more visible but I'd rather have them break in to the car and have them shit their pants when they see that brake lock.

Would it not make sense to use the club so that they DON'T break into your car in the first place? I highly doubt anyone is interested in making thiefs shit their pants (at least by your "standards"). I don't know about you, but I'd rather not have to pay $200-300 for a window replacement.
Your answer is irrational; and I'm being kind when I say that.

Hawk01
03-20-2008, 06:28 PM

if you go to skool, you can roll around with it hanging off your backpack, Bow Wow style!:D

bashir26
03-22-2008, 12:38 PM
where can i get a killswitch?

2EFNFAST
03-22-2008, 01:59 PM
You guys do realize all those measures will only deter some punk whose out looking for a quick joyride. And in that event, they'll probably key your car and/or smash some windows out of frustration.

If a professional targets your car specifically, because of your engine or stereo or whatever, it's gone. Period.

turbotrip
03-22-2008, 02:35 PM
just put a note on the window that says "smile your on hidden camera!" if u park it outside ur house

SNAATCH
03-22-2008, 02:46 PM
the idea about driving with less fuel in your car is pretty stupid. Like it would be so hard for the thief to stop by a station and put $10 in to get him anywhere in the city, and that's only if its empty.

Vtecmini
03-23-2008, 02:34 AM
http://causeforalarm.thecarthing.com/version6/fuel_kill/index.html

Who ever was looking for a how to. I stumbled across this looking for a wiring pinout for my D series ecu.

Looks like a smart idea.

Ferio_vti
03-24-2008, 08:58 AM
How effective are factory immobilizers/keys that are chipped??

rc2002
03-24-2008, 09:32 AM
They're actually quite effective. It's tougher for an average thief to bypass the immobilizer without the key, which means they will probably pass up your car and go onto the next car.

All you have to do is make your car less appealing to the thief than the next guy's car.