PDA

View Full Version : Customs Brokerage Fees?

camby
12-19-2005, 09:49 AM
Hello,

I'm wondering if someone can help me out here with something. I purchased something from the US a long while back. The company that shipped the product to me wasx DHL. Months pass and today I get a letter saying that I owe them money for duties and taxes importing from the US. Do I have to pay them? I already recieved my goods.

Thanks

3G
12-19-2005, 10:22 AM
DO a search on it its been covered before :thumbsup:

camby
12-19-2005, 11:25 AM
I've done a search but I'm unable to find anything specific. Maybe I'm not searching for the right title?

googe
12-19-2005, 11:53 AM
duties and taxes are different than brokerage fees. i assume there is a $5 brokerage charge (you should pay this, its reasonable, UPS or Fedex would have raped you badly) as well as 7% gst, which is charged on everything, new or used.

basically yeah, you do have to pay it. theyve already paid it on your behalf and now you owe them.

Weapon_R
12-19-2005, 12:02 PM
Yes you have to pay it, or deal with collections.

benyl
12-19-2005, 12:20 PM
Pay it, or you won't get any other shipments through DHL.

You have to pay GST and duty, no matter how it was shipped.

rc2002
12-19-2005, 12:26 PM
If you can somehow prove that the item was made in North America then you will not need to pay duties. Duties apply only to goods made in countries other than North America.

DJ Lazy
12-19-2005, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
If you can somehow prove that the item was made in North America then you will not need to pay duties. Duties apply only to goods made in countries other than North America.

He will need a NAFTA Certificate from the shipper to "prove" to customs that it was made in the US... They aren't gonna just take his word for it.. And if the shipper doesn't want to supply a NAFTA Cert. then he will have to pay the duties..

Taxes he has to pay regardless... 7% GST on any goods coming into Canada as previously mentioned.