PDA

View Full Version : Temp Problems HELP!!

mike_papps
12-19-2005, 07:05 PM
Hey guys... my cousin's got a 97 neon and it has a small problem. the gauge on the cluster doesnt run efficient. it barley gets to 1/2 and constantly goes up and down.. never getting really cold and never getting hot.. he's going to try and see if theres a vapor lock tonight and we will try to change the thermostat as well tomorrow to see if that helps.. does anyone know what it may be off hand? i think its the thermostat but could be sensors or whatever.. please enlighten me as id like to help him out.. thanks a ton..

mike

whiskas
12-19-2005, 08:10 PM
Could be the thermostat, or the radiator cap. Make sure his coolant is topped up.

Try feeling the top and bottom hoses coming out of the radiator. If the bottom one is cold and the top one is hot there's probably some blockage in your radiator.

mike_papps
12-19-2005, 11:55 PM
coolant is topped up and rad cap looked to be fine.. no leaks...

mike_papps
12-20-2005, 12:05 PM
???? no other idea's other then the thermostat?

TurboZombie
12-20-2005, 02:49 PM
Has the head gasket been changed yet? Neons had very poorly designed head gaskets and will usually need to be changed. If the gasket is starting to go you may have these temp issues.:guns:

mike_papps
12-24-2005, 11:34 PM
hmmm well yeah i knew they were bad.. just not that bad.. the car is almost new.. damn neons... haha

handsomebassman
12-24-2005, 11:39 PM
97 + Neon does not equal new. lol, unfortunatly, a few friends of mine have had the same year (well one had a 98), and they both saw a gigantic amount of problems every year with them.

Hope you resolve the problem...

THREE40SEVEN
12-25-2005, 06:08 PM
Never rely on a factory sending unit and gauge for temperature accuracy. Buy/borrow an infrared temp sender and monitor temp at the location of the sending unit. If you're seeing a large variance in coolant temp on the factory gauge, i would suspect a faulty gauge/sending unit over the actual temperature changing that quickly.
My oil pressure gauge in my stang did the same thing with a loose connection at the sending unit. It showed 20psi at idle and 80 2500rpm and up. Actual pressure checked with a mechanical gauge was 45 at idle and 55 2500rpm +.