PDA

View Full Version : Please help... car transaction gone bad.

rayray
02-28-2003, 11:23 AM
there's a guy in BC that was looking to purchase a car from eBay. the owner of the car is from Calgary.

he was interested in buying the car and contacted the seller. here is what happened in the owner's words (posted on ToyotaNation forum http://www.toyotanation.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=119144#post119144):

"I worte in a few times about that yellow civic for sale in alberta, 5k he told me and we were going to meet in penticton (half way) so i can get it checked out to make sure its worth 5k, well... i send him a down payment of 500 plus his gas money, 50 bucks, plus his bus trip money back 75 bucks = 625.00 that i had to borrow. Anyways less then a few hours after i send it (through paypal) the guy dissapeared with my cash and deleted both his email addys.... Yea 625 may seem like pennies to some of u and u may not care cause its my loss and not urs but with working at walmart its alot to pay off~!!! Heres the site from ebay about the car (i diddnt buy it on ebay cause he said he couldnt put it on anymore caue he owed them money so i bought it off.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2911716482 URL edited by rage2

So that shows his VIN# and everythign so if you guys could put a few min in each to help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Im sure some of you guys know all about this stuff and how to deal with it."

is this person a part of Beyond.ca or does anyone know of this person and car? the buyer may pursue a police investigation if this person does not respond back to him soon.

i hate it when shit like this happens.

thanks.

-rayray

GTS Jeff
02-28-2003, 11:26 AM
the ebay is dead. describe the civic....this sorta shit sucks..

rage2
02-28-2003, 11:31 AM
You should complain to Paypal. They will get your money back right away without any problems. Paypal's policy is "buyer's always right".

Ben
02-28-2003, 11:40 AM
VIN # JHMED7361KS800542
AB Tag: YEH934

syeve
02-28-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by rage2
You should complain to Paypal. They will get your money back right away without any problems. Paypal's policy is "buyer's always right".

:thumbsup:

benyl
02-28-2003, 11:45 AM
I would call the RCMP too.

His License plate is on one of the pictures...

bol
02-28-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Last I checked Paypal's Buyer Protection program only was valid to people in the US?

Fluidic
02-28-2003, 11:55 AM
hahahaha... those photos look like they were taken by Wes of Albertacars... those angles and what not are sorta his style! LOL

Peter

rayray
02-28-2003, 12:02 PM
thanks for editing the link for me rage2. some of the pics seem to be broken on teh eBay page. but i was able to track this one down of the car.

http://www.forsaleforrent.com/PostedPics/31623-12344.jpg

i'll let the buyer know your suggestions but keep them coming if you have more. i thought that somebody here would know the owner of the car at least since it's Calgary based (actually the ad says Lethbridge now that i look at it) and it's not the most discreet car out there.

-rayray

rayray
02-28-2003, 12:06 PM
and more pics...

http://www.forsaleforrent.com/PostedPics/37381-16214.jpg

http://www.forsaleforrent.com/PostedPics/37381-16215.jpg

http://www.forsaleforrent.com/PostedPics/37381-16216.jpg

all from here
http://www.forsaleforrent.com/search/index.asp?Keywords=1989+honda+civic+si&MatchMode=1&MatchIn=1&AdType=3&Category=0&Country=0&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&Advanced=true&SubmitEvent=Search_Click

thanks

-rayray

Phats
02-28-2003, 12:25 PM
if you want, you can do a check on the vin which will tell you what has been done to the car and where it has done, then phone some of the places it's been to and ask if you can get info about the guy, they may not be able to give you info, but it's an idea anyway, or just go to the police, you have the licence plate number

Phats
02-28-2003, 12:28 PM
btw: you can do this at autocheck.com, it will cost 14.99 USD to get it done but it might be worth it, here is what i found out so far
car check (http://www.autocheck.com/autocheck/1_autocheck/jsp/home.jsp?_414=00399870835660926928)

ninjak84
02-28-2003, 12:38 PM
This car looks exactly like one that I see in Lethbridge everyday.
It's pretty unique, and not hard to identify.
The owner lives a few blocks away from me.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Phats
02-28-2003, 12:40 PM
yeah, i was thinking that too alex, but i wasn't sure and didn't want to say anything if i was wrong, I live near him too, I will keep my eye out too

edit: man, I use too, way too much:(

ninjak84
02-28-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Phats
yeah, i was thinking that too alex, but i wasn't sure and didn't want to say anything if i was wrong, I live near him too, I will keep my eye out too

Yeah man, the Civic near us is the exact same color, exact same generation, exact same mods, and the owner is selling it. I'm almost 100% sure it's the same person.

GTS Jeff
02-28-2003, 01:08 PM
"zex nos" haha

Fluidic
02-28-2003, 01:14 PM
We should have a big nut sack kicking meet down there in Deathbridge -- fucking give him a quick sack or two! Hey yellow civic driver... if you are here on this board... a big FUCK YOU ASSHOLE. FUCKING LONERS LIKE YOU GET NO WHERE IN LIFE!!!!!!!

*end rant until I meet this shit*

mwmhong
02-28-2003, 01:22 PM
Has anyone thought that the person with the Paypal account who received the $650 MIGHT NOT EVEN OWN THE CAR?

Just grab some other persons picture and a VIN and post it up.
Ask some mark for a deposit and take off with it.
If no one falls for it, cancel auction, repost or find another cool picture.

If the purchaser was on his toes, he could have compensated the seller AFTER he actually showed up.

This is just speculation though, but this might be a variation of a 'make them pay up-front' scam which is very common.
Internet makes it very easy.
Clever huh? :devil:

itsalebaron
02-28-2003, 01:27 PM
I agree with you there .. someone was selling my car on ebay .. they found my pictures on a website somewhere.. but good luck dealing with ebay they aren't the easiest people to get ahold of....

CrAzY_PLaYa
02-28-2003, 06:16 PM
I was gonna bid on that car!

R-Audi
02-28-2003, 06:25 PM
The 'actual' owners phone number is on the previous ads, why not call him, pretend to be interested, and ask him if his car was put on ebay? Thats would be easiest. If he still has the original emails, you can at least track where the email is sent from with the senders IP address. Go to http://security.symantec.com, and type in the senders IP address.

I have seen the car parked at Minute Muffler on 3rd ave a ton, so I'm guessing he works there. If all else fails, you have a ton of info on the guy, if in fact he is the guy.

method
02-28-2003, 08:47 PM
I know someone that works for ebay... I'll see what I can do if you need help talking with them.

T5_X
02-28-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84
This car looks exactly like one that I see in Lethbridge everyday.
It's pretty unique, and not hard to identify.
The owner lives a few blocks away from me.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

You sure? I see an orange one all the time that looks similar, but I've never seen that one. Judging by the pics, he can only live on the west side or a new area of the south side.

Paul
02-28-2003, 11:58 PM
yeah i've seen it here in Lethbridge too.... i've seen the forsale sign on before too. I remember where it was parked, i'll check tomorrow to see if it's still there and get that for ya.....

good luck

Paul
03-01-2003, 12:00 AM
no it was parked over on 3rd close to Mayor Mcgath

Weapon_R
03-01-2003, 05:47 AM
If I were pulling this scam, I wouldn't even be auctioning my own car...I'd post up a fake number that would receive, disconnect the lines, and post someone else's car to help attract buyers. I'd grab a vin and licence off of this car, and post it on to make it look legit. Most of you guys are probably chasing the wrong person altogether.

James
03-01-2003, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
If I were pulling this scam, I wouldn't even be auctioning my own car...I'd post up a fake number that would receive, disconnect the lines, and post someone else's car to help attract buyers. I'd grab a vin and licence off of this car, and post it on to make it look legit. Most of you guys are probably chasing the wrong person altogether.

I think thats whats someone was trying to do with "Itsalebaron" car....that is very possible.

itsalebaron
03-01-2003, 02:32 PM
thats exactly what they were doing with my car .... even harder to find the real person doing it when they are using a hacked ebay account .. anyway good luck man .. i really hope you get your $$ back ..

rayray
03-02-2003, 03:11 AM
hey... thanks for all the replies guys. it's not me that tried to purchase it... but a dood on another forum that i post on. i'l pass the info on to him. the whole "post-another-person's-pic-scam" is possible so he should be cautiou of jumping to any conclusions before you know all the facts. if it is him though... he's not too bright to be posting all the personal info if he's gonna pull something like this.

-rayray

bksze
03-02-2003, 03:45 AM
just because i was bored and i now have a carfax account haha, i ran the vin

the car has been in BC up until 2001 passing emmisions test and it's for an 89 civic SI

doesn't say anything about the car being registered here in AB though but since you lethbridge dudes have seen it, maybe the carfax isn't fully updated yet

hope that helps