Joe Sakic
Ryan Smyth
Martin St-Louis
Joe Thornton

2006 Olympic Team - Reserves

Bryan McCabe
Jason Spezza
Eric Staal

Overall I'm happy with the choices.........they had so much talent to choose from and I think they did a solid job.

The only pick i really don't agree with is Doan.

Discuss.

Kirbs17
12-21-2005, 05:03 PM
I dont agree with nash bertuzzi or doan. Nash is hurt. Make his ass a reserve. Staal has performed well so far. bertuzzi isnt that good anymore. Will be interesting to say the least come feb.

spezza and staal should replace bertuzzi and nash

Dave P
12-21-2005, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Kirbs17
I dont agree with nash bertuzzi or doan. Nash is hurt. Make his ass a reserve. Staal has performed well so far. bertuzzi isnt that good anymore. Will be interesting to say the least come feb.

haha u said the same thing to a co worker like 5 min ago.

i dont like nash. i dont mind bert when he is playing his full potential. correction, playing for team canada haha. he is still a cock fag on van.

staal and spezz are tearing it up right now, i dont see how you could not pick them. even over draper i would have picked one.

69cougar
12-21-2005, 05:18 PM
Tuzzi doesnt deserve to be there nor does Nash. Oh well. I think gold is still ours to lose.

:goflames:

Mr_John
12-21-2005, 05:19 PM

gagne sakic iginla
heatley thornton smyth
richards lecavlier st.louis
doan draper bertuzzi

makes sense
i dont see why a spezza or stall should play on a grind line
maybe move thornton down with draper and doan
and spezza centering heatley and smyth woulda been a lot better but with the current setup that canada has
seems smart and good

calgarys_finest
12-21-2005, 05:20 PM
who by chance would you chose to replace doan or bertuzzi as people for a checking line?

nash isnt hurt anymore and has 2 points in last 2 games

and draper is there for a center with high face off wins and penalty killing

mac_82
12-21-2005, 05:23 PM
I'm glad Turco is in over Joseph, last time Joseph had a chance he was yanked. He is a lot older now, and Turco deserves to be there.

Draper is a good choice. You need role players on a team. You can't just have 4 scoring lines, you need very solid checkers to through out against a teams top line. That is Draper's role and he has made a career out of doing it well. Who cares how many goals he gets, thats not his job.

Stall and Spezza deserve to be there, but the guys with more experience were placed ahead of them, other than Nash. I guess they just judged Nash on his performance last season, dont forget how many goals he scored. Im sure if he is not up to it they will replace him with Stall or Spezza pretty quick.

Kirbs17
12-21-2005, 05:23 PM
and spezza centering heatley and smyth woulda been a lot better

Exactly.

Mr_John
12-21-2005, 05:32 PM
cant forget to mention
Sakic named Captain
:thumbsup:
Sakic is the man

mac_82
12-21-2005, 07:10 PM
Yes Sakic is the man.

For A's im gonna guess

-Iginla
-Smyth
-Pronger
-Blake
or
-Niedermayer

Street_Soldier
12-21-2005, 09:30 PM
GO CANADA! :thumbsup:

Hakkola
12-21-2005, 09:35 PM
Am I the only who sees brodeur in net as a problem?

Canada is NOT going to win Gold this year. I guess I'll be cheering for Finland.

Kirbs17
12-21-2005, 10:04 PM
I dont think Canada will repeat. Turco is our best bet in net, and they have GOT to get rid of nash

calgarys_finest
12-21-2005, 11:56 PM
when nash lights it up your all gonna come bowing to me saying wow finest your some sort of hockey god. pick him in your pools the next few weeks guys hes gonna get hot.
and i agree with Turco or Luongo instead of brodure hes getting kinda sloppy but he has been there alot

heinz256
12-22-2005, 12:05 AM
If I could choose, I woulda taken bert off the list as well as draper and nash and replaced them with Spezza, kariya and maybe staal or shanahan, but thats my opinion. Defense looks pretty lethal as does goaltending. Dont know if luongo deserves to go though, this guys overrated. Cujo has olympic experience and belfour is dependable for a third string goalie.

trikypenguin
12-22-2005, 12:15 AM
WHERE'S PHANUEF :confused:

Kirbs17
12-22-2005, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by trikypenguin
WHERE'S PHANUEF :confused:

He was named to about 7 or 8 different sports analysis' lists, but Team Canada likes experience.

I think its going to be interesting to see how the Tampa Line does.

Kobe
12-22-2005, 01:10 AM

Exactly what i was gunna say...
Same as Lacavier, psssh who needs him, he should be off the team aswell

Team_Mclaren
12-22-2005, 02:13 AM
I dont think some of you guys understand, you cant have 4 huge scoreing lines. As someone said ^^, Draper and Todd Bertuzzi together will make a pretty solid checking line. You cant win hockey games by having every goal scorers on the team.

I dont think brodeur is going to be a problem, sure he hasnt been playing the greatest this year but look the defense in NJ this year compares to last years. They lost Steven and Niedermayer. Luongo is good but he's not consistent, look at his stats for last week. Turco is a great choice for thrid string as well. And whoever said Belfour should be on the team, i'll have to really disagree with you. He's well past his prime i'll kill myself if we dont have any better goalies than him to place it on Team Canada.

Kirbs17
12-22-2005, 02:14 AM
^^I understand, But i think Spezza instead of nash should have been a no brainer... plain and simple. yea thats fine that Bert and Draper are on a line, they need to be the 4th line, tight checking, with a couple points a game. I can handle that.

Turco should get 1 game, and Marty.B one game, and see how they go.
Im still gonna cheer our boys on til the death, but I didnt see the picks going this way.... Guess thats why Im not involed in the hockey world.

90Tegra
12-22-2005, 10:43 AM
mccabe shoulve been in instead of redden. and wtf is doan doing here? draper? smyth? staal deserved to be in.

SOAB
12-22-2005, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by 90Tegra
mccabe shoulve been in instead of redden. and wtf is doan doing here? draper? smyth? staal deserved to be in.

no way is McCabe a better defenseman than Redden. he is good on the powerplay but redden is much better at defense and skating ability!!

Nash should've been replaced by Spezza though.

Nissanaddict
12-22-2005, 11:18 AM
I'm not too worried about it. Bert's a very high profile, but good choice. Great for a checking line. And yes, the only reason Phaneuf (and Crosby for that matter) is not in is because of experience. And I'll say he did make a few mistakes last night that I wasn't happy with, but he rarely has this kinda game. I honestly think that Turco should be the number one goalie. But that's just me. Brodeur does play good when he has good defense to back him up though, so I'm not terribly worried about him. Luongo? I'm most iffy about him as a goalie than any of the others. Cujo and Belfour, I'm glad they're not in. They have been excellent goalies in the past, but need to gracefully move over (so far I haven't heard them complain, so it's all good....no Jeremy Roenicking please) As for cheering for Finland? Go nuts man. I hope they do good too cuz of Kiprusoff.

DelSoln
12-22-2005, 12:51 PM
This tournament is Canadas to lose. One or two omissions isn't going to make or break them.

justincalgary
12-22-2005, 01:26 PM
I think it's funny how everyone bashes Bertuzzi. If anyone here had a achance to taken them on their respective team, you would be all over it. If it was up to me, Nash - Thornton - Bertuzzi line or replace Nash with Iggy. That would by far be the scariest line in the whole Olympics. I do agree with Doan though, much rather have Shannahan than him.

DelSoln
12-22-2005, 02:23 PM
^Koivu always makes you look good ;). Go Habs go!

Hakkola
12-22-2005, 02:25 PM
sorry deleted my last post so now yours doesn't make sense.

Somebody I'm assuming at work was trying to own me, posting stupid shit outside of ask leo.

I am the Finnish Flash though.

SI-vic
12-22-2005, 03:23 PM
Some say that Canada wont win the olympics this winter
I say you need to look at the other team rosters before making that assumption

B18C
12-22-2005, 03:38 PM
Nash is the one pick I don't agree with. Not because I don't think he's not good, but because I'm more concerned that he might still re-aggrevate his knee. However, this may not be too big of an issue considering who is on the Taxi Squad.

As for any of the younger guys, it's just a matter of rotation really. For Sakic, I think this will be his last Olympics. So in 2010, Spezza will probably be the one to replace him.

On defense, this will likely be the last for guys like Blake and maybe even Foote and Niedermayer who are getting up there in age. By then, there is no doubt Phaneuf will make it then.

If you don't like it now. Imagine what it would've been like if guys like Lemieux and Yzerman didn't take themselves out of consideration.

EDIT: Dammit, I keep forgetting I'm under my bro's account. This is sexualbanana

buh_buh
12-23-2005, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Am I the only who sees brodeur in net as a problem?

Canada is NOT going to win Gold this year. I guess I'll be cheering for Finland.
I highly doubt Finland will do very well without Kipper this year. Hopefully the injury isn't too serious and can still play well with the Flames. The break will do Kipper good.

I'd rather see Brodeur than Joseph on the team. Brodeur was a definate shoe-in for the team. Too many Stanley Cups, Gold medals, and WHC championships to leave him off the team imo. And I think Brodeur will play better in front of Team Canada's D than New Jersey's D too. I'm hoping Turco will be the backup while Luongo sits third.

Although Nash has been hurt most of this year, he did light it up in last year's WHC, and if assuming he's healthy, can definately lead this team (or even the tournament) in goals.

I'm glad Crosby didn't make the team or the taxi squad considering he's played 1/3 of a NHL season in his entire career. And if Crosby isn't making the taxi squad, no chance Phaneuf is going to either. If there's going to be any rookie cracking the squad, its going to be Crosby.

I like McCabe on the taxi squad and not the team too. Redden is much more defensively sound than McCabe. McCabe can light it up, but we have 3 lines of scoring up front to put them in the net. We need the D to prevent goals, not score.

Doan has been underachieving bigtime this year, but I think he'll play well on a checking line with Draper and Smyth (or possibly Bert?).

I really wanted to see Staal make the team, but there is way too much talent already on the team, and I don't think they wanted to put someone like Staal/Spezza on a 3rd or 4th checking line. I was also expecting Shanahan to make the team too since Mario and Yzerman decided to withdraw from the team. But I guess there's enough experience on the team as it is.

What do you guys think the lines are going to look like?

Skyline_Addict
12-23-2005, 03:05 AM
rubbish. spezza a reserve?!

what has nash done to deserve a spot. not saying he's not a good player, but he's been injured all season, while players like spezza and staal have shown they can perform exceptionally and consistently.

Weapon_R
12-23-2005, 03:10 AM
I love the fact that Bertuzzi is playing. He has been picking up his game and he will be an asset to the team. Brodeur is a proven goaltender with tons of world championship experience. The bandwagon jumpers are hating on him because of one bad season?? Turco is not in the same caliber as Brodeur, never was. Our team is so amazing this year I don't see how they can't win gold.

sexualbanana
12-23-2005, 03:17 AM
Was anyone else concerned when they announced the Taxi Squad before Sakic??

I was about ready to lose it. No Sakic, Lemieux, Yzerman, OR Shanahan!?!?!

But then they announced Sakic. The was a sigh of relief when that happened

calgarys_finest
12-23-2005, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
rubbish. spezza a reserve?!

what has nash done to deserve a spot. not saying he's not a good player, but he's been injured all season, while players like spezza and staal have shown they can perform exceptionally and consistently.

nash proved he was a goal scorer all of last season you see the last few games hes play coming back from injury hell do well. did you see him play in the swiss league he got more than a point per game and the year before that in the nhl he got 41 goals tied with iggy and kovulchuk. so the talent is there and if he doesnt perform then you can have your stall or spezza anyways

Skyline_Addict
12-23-2005, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by calgarys_finest

nash proved he was a goal scorer all of last season you see the last few games hes play coming back from injury hell do well. did you see him play in the swiss league he got more than a point per game and the year before that in the nhl he got 41 goals tied with iggy and kovulchuk. so the talent is there and if he doesnt perform then you can have your stall or spezza anyways

while it is good that canada sticks with few core players regardless of how good of a season they're having (within reasonable means), i'm one of the believers in that a player should be picked based on his current performance. you don't need to tell me how many goals nash got last year and the year before that. spezza and staal deserve to play more, in my opinion. even if nash played the entire season thus far, and played within expectations, i'd still pick spezza over nash. but i don't manage team canada, so i can't.

Team_Mclaren
12-23-2005, 04:52 AM

while it is good that canada sticks with few core players regardless of how good of a season they're having (within reasonable means), i'm one of the believers in that a player should be picked based on his current performance. you don't need to tell me how many goals nash got last year and the year before that. spezza and staal deserve to play more, in my opinion. even if nash played the entire season thus far, and played within expectations, i'd still pick spezza over nash. but i don't manage team canada, so i can't.

of course not, because you don't understand the concept behind picking an national team compares to an NHL "ALL STAR" team. There's no doubt that Spezza and Staal are playing great thus far (30 something game), but compares to players who have had years of experience and have proven to be able to perform in international games, team canada would pick players like doan and nash over them anyday. And they did extactly just that. Staal and Spezza lacks the experience and consistences to play with the big guys, they are still young and I do believe that they will be on the team 4 years from now.

I do understand that Nash might be a risk becuase of his injury. But there's no doubt that if he is healthy, he would be a great player on the team. There are still 2 months till the olympic starts, if he does get hurt again, thats when the reserves (Spezza, Staal) get their chance.

SI-vic
12-23-2005, 04:53 AM
i believe brodeur wont be a problem for team Canada
give him a respectable offence and a good defence and he'll do the rest
right now he's having a crappy season because of what he has infront of him

stevieo
12-23-2005, 10:05 PM

but i don't manage team canada, so i can't.

thank god yo udon't.

calgarys_finest
12-23-2005, 10:22 PM

so just go down the top scorers list and pick those?

stevieo
12-23-2005, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by calgarys_finest

so just go down the top scorers list and pick those?

he thinks depietro is a god in net haha comon...