PDA

View Full Version : Kiprusoff off team Finland

Nissanaddict
12-22-2005, 05:53 PM
At 4pmish today, it was announced that Kiprusoff has withdrawn from playing for the Finland olympic team. Discuss.

cman
12-22-2005, 05:55 PM
Doing it for the Flames benefit, wow what a guy!

l8braker
12-22-2005, 05:57 PM
Holy. Finland would be pretty pissed right now.

Bill Cosby
12-22-2005, 05:58 PM
i wouldnt be pissed now with his play lately

Kobe
12-22-2005, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Bill Cosby
It was only two games, I guess, which should of never happened, but o welll

Im sure he will be amazing next game

l8braker
12-22-2005, 06:05 PM
He's always managed to rebound and kick serious ass after bad games.

toyboy88
12-22-2005, 06:06 PM
an actual link:
http://tsn.ca/olympics/news_story.asp?id=147971

Kiprusoff has inflammation of the hip and upon advice from doctors will use the period during the Olympics to help heal the injured area.

''It is in the best interest of the Calgary Flames that I use this opportunity to ensure I am totally recovered for the NHL playoff drive,'' Kiprusoff said in a statement.
:clap: :clap:

Ed the SOHC
12-22-2005, 06:07 PM
Kiprusoff withdraws name from Team Finland
Calgary, AB – Calgary Flames goaltender Miikka Kiprusoff has withdrawn his name from the Finnish National Men’s Hockey Team for the 2006 Winter Olympic Games in Turin, Italy.

Kiprusoff has inflammation of the hip and upon medical advisement will use the period during the Olympics to restore the injured area to 100%.

“It is in the best interest of the Calgary Flames that I use this opportunity to ensure I am totally recovered for the NHL playoff drive,” said Kiprusoff.

“I have always been very proud to represent my country in international competition and I’m disappointed that I will not be joining them at the Olympics in Italy.”
from calgaryflames.com - newsroom

Sweet... he's ditching his country for us!

Nissanaddict
12-22-2005, 06:11 PM
Citizenship for Kiprusoff. Canada 2010. :D :clap: What a guy.

SI-vic
12-22-2005, 06:16 PM
Kipper should get another small raise
:thumbsup:
either that or he knew Canada would own him

Team_Mclaren
12-22-2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Bill Cosby

typical bandwangon jumper!:clap: for you!

Carlo
12-22-2005, 06:28 PM
He's Going to be hated in finland. but here in calgary were gonna love him even more for this.:D

bimmer330
12-22-2005, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

no kidding, that's ok the less stupid ass band wagoners the better! Bunch our douche bags who think they know bout hockey.

Hakkola
12-22-2005, 06:48 PM
Finland will never hate him, I'm Finnish, and I understand. We have lots of good goalies, there's over 10 that belong to NHL teams. Kari Lehtonen is a good goalie and Norrena is very good, I'm surprised he isn't in the NHL yet. There's a couple good Finns that don't play in the NHL that were picked over NHL players. If you look at the roster you'll notice Nieminen and a few other good players are missing.

Jukka Hentunen is another good player not in the NHL that will play very well, I'll be surprised if he isn't on the second line.

I think Finland will take the Bronze or 4th place this year. I'm betting the Bronze medal game will be Canada vs Finland.

Back to the original topic, Kiprusoff is a great goalie, pretty much carries the flames on his back. Finland would be better with him, but I understand if he has to sit out. Calgary pays his salary, not Finland.

Milk2%
12-22-2005, 06:48 PM
Hes a smart guy, i would never put hockey infront of my health, some people put hockey infront of there health, and well frankly i hope they brake a leg or something. When you hurt your hurt, there is no discussion about that. And i think its a little harsh by saying hes letting his country down. Like think about it, who would you rather want in net, a sick goalie or a good one......hes a smary guy, and its just super lucky hes on are team... Now you want to discuse, then talk about jeremy roenick. That is just total bullshit upon the coaching staff of the us team, hes one of the best. Just makes the olympics that much easier for canada.

Milk2%
12-22-2005, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Back to the original topic, Kiprusoff is a great goalie, pretty much carries the flames on his back. Finland would be better with him, but I understand if he has to sit out. Calgary pays his salary, not Finland.

i dunno dude, this isn't the old nhl here. You can have the best and the worst goalies, its all about team, i hate how people say players are the back bone of the team, because there is no fucken "I" in team.

Not being mean to you or anything, just been a long day :(

Hakkola
12-22-2005, 06:56 PM
Please man, look at how bad our offence is. Even Sutter said we're not one of the most talented teams. There's no denying goaltending is the most important thing when it comes to the success of a team, just like in baseball you won't win games with shitty pitching.

Look at what happens when Kiprusoff isn't superman, we lose. We don't win games unless our goaltending is stellar.

On a team like Ottawa or Vancouver or Edmonton, or detroit etc. I'd tend to agree, goaltending isn't as important, but the only reason we are where we are in the standing is because of our goaltending.

You can't deny that if we had Auld or someone of that calibre in net we would be at the bottom of the standings.

SI-vic
12-22-2005, 06:58 PM
Calgary being one of the lowest scoring teams in the NHL
its obvious that goaltending is especially important

Team_Mclaren
12-22-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Milk2%

i dunno dude, this isn't the old nhl here. You can have the best and the worst goalies, its all about team, i hate how people say players are the back bone of the team, because there is no fucken "I" in team.

Not being mean to you or anything, just been a long day :(

i'll have to disagree, sure the rules changed alot but it doesnt effect the skill of a player. Actually, it lets skill player like jagr play more freely. Sure the team is important but you cant deny the fact the few selective players have the ability to carry the team with their individual skill.

Weapon_R
12-22-2005, 07:04 PM
Please man, look at how bad our offence is. Even Sutter said we're not one of the most talented teams. There's no denying goaltending is the most important thing when it comes to the success of a team, just like in baseball you won't win games with shitty pitching.

Look at what happens when Kiprusoff isn't superman, we lose. We don't win games unless our goaltending is stellar.

On a team like Ottawa or Vancouver or Edmonton, or detroit etc. I'd tend to agree, goaltending isn't as important, but the only reason we are where we are in the standing is because of our goaltending.

You can't deny that if we had Auld or someone of that calibre in net we would be at the bottom of the standings.

Our defense is one of the top in the league. Kipper is good but he isn't carrying the team.

skyline19
12-22-2005, 07:06 PM

Auld has been fantastic up until the edmonton game. i dont know what league you're following.

as for the Oylmpics, arent they in Febuary? Why would he call it quits this early? i think he just dosent wanna get embrassed in front of Canada:rofl:

im just glad Ruutu made the team. Although i love him playing in vancouver i'm proably gonna hate him when he plays Canada.

DelSoln
12-22-2005, 07:37 PM

I can't believe a Flames fan actually admitted to this. You sir are one brave man and must be acknowledged. :P

DelSoln
12-22-2005, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Our defense is one of the top in the league. Kipper is good but he isn't carrying the team.

Just curious but who would you say is the MVP of your team?

Weapon_R
12-22-2005, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by DelSoln

There's a reason Calgary is top in the division, and its hard to credit one player. By the way, I don't think its Kipper, if that's what you're implying.

Def_3
12-22-2005, 07:57 PM

There's a reason Calgary is top in the division, and its hard to credit one player. By the way, I don't think its Kipper, if that's what you're implying. agreed, I am a huge kipper fan, but we are in the position we are in, not because of him or Iggy, but because of our defence, especially considering how much they have chipped in on the offensive side

Bill Cosby
12-22-2005, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

more like

lifelong oilers fan :clap:

AndrewMZ3
12-22-2005, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by DelSoln

Clearly Donovan is. :thumbsup:

hockeybronx
12-22-2005, 08:49 PM
When Patrick Roy did it, everyone called him a selfish asshole.

When Kiprosoff does it... he's a hero???

Well I'll answer my own question... this is Calgary and I'm a Leafs fan:nut:

dufferson
12-22-2005, 08:52 PM
he just happens to know where his paycheck comes from.

DelSoln
12-22-2005, 09:29 PM

There's a reason Calgary is top in the division, and its hard to credit one player. By the way, I don't think its Kipper, if that's what you're implying.

I was just wondering who you thought was the MVP for the Flames so far and you still didn't answer the question. It wasn't a loaded question or anything. By the way I totally agree you can't credit one player with their success. No Sutter team will ever revolve like that. Anyways it's just my opinion that Kipper has clearly been the best player on the Flames this season.

DelSoln
12-22-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx

Well this is a predominantly Calgary based forum as you well know. If you went to a Finnish forum I think the term "hero" wouldn't exactly be the word used. :rofl:

Orbie
12-22-2005, 09:35 PM
Maybe in his mind Stanley Cup > Olympic Gold, I would tend to agree. I think he got a taste of it last season and he's hungry now. Besides for most of the 3 years and 336 or so days the Olympics aren't taking place, you're involved in the NHL. Better keep your standing there as good as possible. Either way now that we know he has a small injury, we may see Sauve making some more starts.

sexualbanana
12-22-2005, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by skyline19
as for the Oylmpics, arent they in Febuary? Why would he call it quits this early? i think he just dosent wanna get embrassed in front of Canada:rofl:

Inflammation injuries are wear 'n tear injuries that only get better with rest. The Olympics may be in February, but I don't think he wants to miss any games and this break gives him a 2 week window of rest.

Originally posted by Def_3
agreed, I am a huge kipper fan, but we are in the position we are in, not because of him or Iggy, but because of our defence, especially considering how much they have chipped in on the offensive side

Grant Fuhr made a pretty good statement about his days playing with the Oilers. He said, I'm paraphrasing by the way because I can't remember his exact words, "I never felt that much pressure to perform because of the offense in front of me. I knew it was okay to let in 3 or 4 goals because I knew our offense was going to score 5 or 6." It was said in an episode of Snap Shots with Jim Hughson.

Following those lines, Kiprusoff is a large part of their success because our offense isn't capable of getting those goals. Credit the defense as well.

Originally posted by hockeybronx

Well I'll answer my own question... this is Calgary and I'm a Leafs fan:nut:

I vaguely remember a few people calling him names, but never a selfish asshole for his withdrawal. Part of the reason for his withdrawal too was that he wanted to watch his son play in a major junior tournament in Quebec which coincided with the Olympics. So I think that offset a lot of ill feelings about him.

Wildcat
12-22-2005, 09:52 PM

divisions are grouped based on geography to limit travelling costs and airtime.

edit: i think kipper made the right choice, he hasent looked ontop of his game in the last 2.

Nissanaddict
12-23-2005, 01:15 PM
Yeah, that hip might have something to do with it. Although he's made some stellar saves, he seems like just a good goalie some games instead of like his normal self. I'm confident that we can pull through, and that 2 week break will definitely get that guy back to prime shape. And I mean, I'm sure the Fins won't be THAT pissed. If all their other goalies sucked, they'd probably be a lot more pissed. As mentioned Lehtonen is good, so they don't have too much to worry about goaltending-wise. :goflames: ...and Canada too.