PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Tea

Paul
02-28-2003, 10:16 PM
Hey, Just curious about what everybody thinks of Bubble Tea? I personally luv the shit but cant stand the little Tapioca balls. Choking on balls is not my thing. :poosie:

Other than that.....can't get enough of the stuff, is The Desert House still the best place in Cow-town to get one? I've had a few others and none compare....fill me in.

04blackMAX
02-28-2003, 10:20 PM
hate it

HK2NR
02-28-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Paul
Hey, Just curious about what everybody thinks of Bubble Tea? I personally luv the shit but cant stand the little Tapioca balls. Choking on balls is not my thing. :poosie:

Other than that.....can't get enough of the stuff, is The Desert House still the best place in Cow-town to get one? I've had a few others and none compare....fill me in.

There's tons of places... Banana Jaks, Bubblemania, Try Again.. just to name a few i go to anyways haha.. Try Bubble tea with Jelly instead of the tapioca balls.. i'm starting to get annoyed by those balls too!

CRX crazy
02-28-2003, 10:28 PM
I've only been to banana jack's but it's great i love the tea but your so right with balls they can be a little hard to swallow

(oh get your mind out of the gutter i know what some of you are thinking)

Zephyr
02-28-2003, 10:29 PM
man u canadians r weird. its called boba, thats how u pronounce it in chinese as well, and in taiwan they say that too and that is where this drink came from. yessh get it right! even stupid american rich white folks can say it right! :rofl: :rofl: lol haha

Paul
02-28-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr
man u canadians r weird. its called boba, thats how u pronounce it in chinese as well, and in taiwan they say that too and that is where this drink came from. yessh get it right! even stupid american rich white folks can say it right! :rofl: :rofl: lol haha

actually it is Bubble Tea at the Dessert house, perhaps they renamed them because "stupid white folk" like myself were destroying the name. But your right...american are stupid:nut:

98type_r
02-28-2003, 10:52 PM

yeah but to us canadians:
we eat ichiban, not ramen
drink pop, not soda
and the letter Z is pronounced zed, not zee

air_mikey
02-28-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by 98type_r

drink pop, not soda
point proven :thumbsup:

girlRACER
02-28-2003, 10:56 PM

Boba is just the pin yin way of saying it. Bubble Tea is the more correct english translation.
But even 'Boba' is the slang way of saying it. The actual way is 'Jun Jue' for Pearl.

Zephyr
02-28-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by girlRACER
The actual way is 'Jun Jue' for Pearl.

yea thats the correct way.

"Canada? Why must we leave America to visit America Jr?" -Homer Simpson

HK2NR
02-28-2003, 10:59 PM

Boba is just the pin yin way of saying it. Bubble Tea is the more correct english translation.
But even 'Boba' is the slang way of saying it. The actual way is 'Jun Jue' for Pearl.

:werd: chinese 101! tea = cha :thumbsup:

Zephyr
02-28-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by HK2NR

:werd: chinese 101! tea = cha :thumbsup:

jun jue nai cha .... i hope that looks right and sounds right...:confused:

what's even worse that stupid americans believe japanese ppl invented it but its from taiwan...:rofl:

same for mochi, its from china not japan stupid americans :rofl:

Paul
02-28-2003, 11:07 PM
Here's a little piece of trivia you can take to the bank:

The fortune cookie was invented in USA!!!!

by a chinese man none the less, but in America at his noodle house in hollywood. He would pass around the cookies while people waited for their meals to arrive.

Fun fact for the day sponsered by Silent Rage

HK2NR
02-28-2003, 11:09 PM

jun jue nai cha .... i hope that looks right and sounds right...:confused:

hehehe.. if it has milk in it, then yes it sounds right :clap:

Zephyr
02-28-2003, 11:11 PM

by a chinese man none the less, but in America at his noodle house in hollywood. He would pass around the cookies while people waited for their meals to arrive.

that doesn't make it a american treat.... americans even believe bruce lee was white and martial arts was invented by americans.... i really hate arguing with them about that....

Paul
02-28-2003, 11:12 PM
sorry i was wrong, not hollywood, but San Fransisco...my bad

HK2NR
02-28-2003, 11:13 PM

americans even believe bruce lee was white and martial arts was invented by americans

:rofl: :rofl:

Paul
02-28-2003, 11:15 PM

that doesn't make it a american treat.... americans even believe bruce lee was white and martial arts was invented by americans.... i really hate arguing with them about that....

I never presumed or called the fortune cookie an "American treat", you can take all the credit for it if you want. And hey, didn't Hulk Hogan invent martial arts?

ninjak84
02-28-2003, 11:21 PM
Hey, Just curious about what everybody thinks of Bubble Tea?

I had BBT for my first time a few weeks ago with some guys from these forums.
Really really good though, and Banana Jaks is open nice and late!
I can't wait until summer, I'm going to be their best customer :D

HK2NR
02-28-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84

I had BBT for my first time a few weeks ago with some guys from these forums.
Really really good though, and Banana Jaks is open nice and late!
I can't wait until summer, I'm going to be their best customer :D

:werd: me too.. great place to chill.. but i swear i've read through their Option Jap mags at least 20 times already .. damn they neeed new ones

Paul
02-28-2003, 11:43 PM
what do you guy's think of a tuner shop having a lounge attached to it that serves bubble tea? would you guy's/gals go there? would something like this interest you?

HK2NR
02-28-2003, 11:45 PM
oh i think that would be sweet

MrX
03-01-2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by 98type_r

drink pop, not soda

lol, i'm in the US right now, and the American's down here got no idea wtf i'm saying when i use canadian lingo.

girlRACER
03-01-2003, 11:23 AM

haha...no kidding! I'll bet Ginger Beef, Chicken Balls, and Sweet and Sour Pork were all invented in N. America too. Because when you go to Hong Kong some people have never even heard of it let alone serve in their restaurants.

It is funny how some Chinese Food in N. America is not even authentic. It seems like it was created merely to serve the appetites of a society that likes their food to resemble nothing of the animal it came from. ie. breast, filet, all deboned and skinned. In that sense, people are really missing out on true Chinese Food which is 10x greater than the stuff they serve at the fast food mall outlets.

Paul
03-01-2003, 11:51 AM
down here in Lethbridge we have alot of "authentic" chinese resturants. This is in due part of the chinese community that evolved down here during the building of the CP railway. People come from Montana to Lethbridge just for a taste of authentic chineses cooking, it is very different from that you get from a mall outlet. YUMMY!

FiveFreshFish
03-01-2003, 12:06 PM
Ice milk tea is popular in Taiwan, where you can get it freshly made from a street vendor or buy it something like this at the 7-Eleven.

szw
03-01-2003, 12:21 PM
in HK do street vendors serve drinks with a straw stickin out of a plastic bag? I love those!

I believe ginger beef was created in calgary! Even if you go to TO most people won't know what you are talking about if you ask for ginger beef!

Importz
03-01-2003, 12:46 PM
ryt8r

Ferio_vti
03-01-2003, 03:42 PM
[B]

haha...no kidding! I'll bet Ginger Beef, Chicken Balls, and Sweet and Sour Pork were all invented in N. America too. Because when you go to Hong Kong some people have never even heard of it let alone serve in their restaurants.
[B]

Yup. There was an article about Ginger beef a few months back in the Herald. And its claimed to be invented in Calgary, and western Canada's the only place you can get it. Guys in TO don't even know what it is.

ACS-e36
03-02-2003, 12:14 AM
what do you guy's think of a tuner shop having a lounge attached to it that serves bubble tea? would you guy's/gals go there? would something like this interest you?

hmm id be there... :clap:

Ben
03-02-2003, 12:54 AM
Used to Love it, now I hate it.

szw
03-02-2003, 12:58 AM
used to like it in grade 10.

I still like the small tapioca ones...but only had it twice in the last couple years now.