PDA

View Full Version : safety of cheques

szw
03-01-2003, 02:51 AM
If I write a cheque to a company, can another person cash that cheque?

Just a normal personal cheque.

What about money orders?

just wondering how safe they really are.

And if they're not that safe, what would be the safest way to write a cheque to a company where I'd HAVE to give the cheque to someone, who in turn gives it to the company?

spyguy
03-01-2003, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by szw
If I write a cheque to a company, can another person cash that cheque?

Just a normal personal cheque.

What about money orders?

just wondering how safe they really are.

And if they're not that safe, what would be the safest way to write a cheque to a company where I'd HAVE to give the cheque to someone, who in turn gives it to the company?

from what i recall...anyone that has signing authority for that company can cash your cheque. as for money orders they are safe only if they person doesn't cancel the MO on you...they're both about the same really...

GTS Jeff
03-01-2003, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by spyguy
they're both about the same really... a money order or a bank draft is more "credible" than a personal cheque becuz they cant go nsf and as such are gauranteed funds.

to answer the original question, a cheque/money order/draft can only be cashed by the entity that the cheque was made out to. theres always the odd time that the teller screws up tho...

spyguy
03-01-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
a money order or a bank draft is more "credible" than a personal cheque becuz they cant go nsf and as such are gauranteed funds.

to answer the original question, a cheque/money order/draft can only be cashed by the entity that the cheque was made out to. theres always the odd time that the teller screws up tho...

i dont think the question was about "creditability." i believe he means which is the best and safest way to gurantee that the company will get the money and the in between person wont be able to cash it... am i correct?:nut:

ninjak84
03-01-2003, 04:31 PM
Money orders are definitely the safer way to go.

GTS Jeff
03-01-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by spyguy

i dont think the question was about "creditability." i believe he means which is the best and safest way to gurantee that the company will get the money and the in between person wont be able to cash it... am i correct?:nut: up tilt he point where u said theyre the same..

spyguy
03-01-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
up tilt he point where u said theyre the same..

yes they are the same that if they both have the name of the company..he's set to go...there's no differences, noone can cash it unless they are that company..

szw
03-01-2003, 10:44 PM
thanks guys!