PDA

View Full Version : I need to condom up my car for a Ski Trip.

2m0a0x2
12-24-2005, 05:58 AM
Hey guys, I need to take my car on a ski trip. Last year, I took my moms Land Rover and it came back with a cracked windshield. This year, she learned their lesson and she won't let me take her car again.

So this leaves me taking my own car, but I need to protect it. I can borrow a bra that will cover the top of my hood, and I was thinking of masking taping my front bumper and around the wheel wells to protect it from rocks.

What I really don't know how to do is to protect my windshield. I was thinking about using some kind of labeling plastic that comes in thick rolls and just tape my windshield.

What do you guys think? Any ideas?

Lexxan
12-24-2005, 06:13 AM
:whocares: seriously.. do you drive a ferrari? go skiing. I've cracked my windshield the first I've bought a vehicle. You should've replaced her windshield and called it a day if it means that much!

Hash_man
12-24-2005, 06:26 AM
^^^ Ya IMO we live in Calgary, its like the biggest city in Canada for windshields because of all the rocks, just go, dont worry so much, if you get a chip, get it filled so it doesnt spread... I wouldnt put shit all over my windshield.

frozenrice
12-24-2005, 10:21 AM
If you're that worried, just rent a car.
Mom does give you enough allowance to do that right?

dave101
12-24-2005, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by frozenrice
If you're that worried, just rent a car.
Mom does give you enough allowance to do that right?

DAYUM!

A790
12-24-2005, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Lexxan
:whocares: seriously.. do you drive a ferrari? go skiing. I've cracked my windshield the first I've bought a vehicle. You should've replaced her windshield and called it a day if it means that much!

You guys are assholes. He drives a 98 M3 and he wants to take care of it... if you don't have any advice, keep your mouth shut.

In terms of what you could do, I'd look into the 3M Film (its completely clear plastic) from 3M trimline in the N.E.

WRXchic
12-24-2005, 10:39 AM
yeh renting a car is probably the best way to go

benyl
12-24-2005, 11:02 AM
Rent a car.

3M helps prevent, but it doesn't make it impossible.

Kinda like water resistant watches... they aren't water proof.

VWbloke
12-24-2005, 11:22 AM
I would use some of that 3m painters tape on the hood and around the wheel wells like you were already thinking, but I wouldn't try putting anything on your windshield - you could really reduce your visibility. I'd rather take a cracked windshield than not be able to see properly and then wind up in the ditch!

As an aside, if you do wind up with some rock chips, check out this new product - it's supposed to be amazing for paint chips.

http://www.langka.com/

Have fun on your ski trip! :)

carson blocks
12-24-2005, 12:02 PM
I'd also recommend renting a car, it'll cost alot less than a new windshield if you are worried about it.

If you do take your car, I'd be careful about putting a car bra on it, if there is any dirt at all on the paint or on the backside of the bra, or if the bra is installed incorrectly and can move around at all, it can destroy your paint finish in no time.

like others have said, you could 3m the leading edge of your hood, but I'd only do this if you really want 3m on your car as it will again cost more than renting a car.

If you take your car, make sure to give it a good coat of wax before you go (carnauba, not car wash wax) Wax won't really help you with the rock chips, but it will stop the smaller pieces of dirt from pitting the paint, and stop the salt and crap from getting in any existing paint imperfections that may be there.

Good luck with it.

ringmaster
12-24-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Rent a car.

3M helps prevent, but it doesn't make it impossible.

Kinda like water resistant watches... they aren't water proof.

:werd: The 3m will cost double what renting a 300c would cost...
just buy the extra insurance and who gives a shit if you crack the front window.

Euro_Trash
12-24-2005, 01:34 PM
Get a winter car if you care so much

nismodrifter
12-24-2005, 02:02 PM
Remember if you use tape.....PAINTERS TAPE....not normal masking tape...the normal stuff will leave a shit sticky residue on your paint.

Godfuader
12-24-2005, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by A790

You guys are assholes. He drives a 98 M3 and he wants to take care of it... if you don't have any advice, keep your mouth shut.

:werd: Its a legit question. Help or get off the thread. Rent a cheap car and save the hassle.

FiveFreshFish
12-24-2005, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by VWbloke
I would use some of that 3m painters tape on the hood and around the wheel wells like you were already thinking, but I wouldn't try putting anything on your windshield - you could really reduce your visibility. I'd rather take a cracked windshield than not be able to see properly and then wind up in the ditch!

Yep, that's what the current owner of my previous car did for a long trip to the US.

dooman24
12-24-2005, 02:37 PM
isn't that hte same kind of tape the dealers use to transport cars around?

SilverBoost
12-24-2005, 03:18 PM
Get your car 3Med. It will help all year long, not just winter, so it's a worthwhile investment. Pay to get it done right though.

Other than that man, even though I know sometimes people cut to close in front and spray up rocks, is to keep an extra distance on the roads. Sounds like an obvious thing I know, but you'd be surprised how much damage you'll avoid by conciously keeping back as far as you can from vehicles in front of you.

Aleks
12-24-2005, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Godfuader

:werd: Its a legit question. Help or get off the thread. Rent a cheap car and save the hassle.

Yes but you have to be 21 to do that AFAIK :rofl:

sexualbanana
12-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I agree with the guys that say rent a car. Especially given your time frame. If you had more time, getting the 3M protectant is the best investment because it has a longer life.

Painters tape isn't a bad idea, but if you're first consideration was taping or plasticking (I know it's not a word), you're better off just renting a car. Plus, taping it looks like garbage.

chris
12-24-2005, 06:21 PM
theres just as many rocks in calgary as outside of calgary during the winter, don't tailgate and avoid tractor trailers and you should be fine and i'm pretty sure you have to be 25 to rent a car, but i might be wrong, wat kind of whacked out family wont let you borrow their suv for a ski trip because you got a rock chip in the windshield, boo who, it's a rock chip, deal with it