PDA

View Full Version : Revving too low?

hockeybronx
12-27-2005, 02:30 AM
Okay just a general question, not a big deal, but I've always been curious if having your car at low RPMs causes any harm to any part mechanically?

When I'm just cruising by myself, especially with the winter tires on I'll take it nice and slow and shift at like 2000 RPMS, and anything over 50km/h is 5th gear territory... I guess I figure it'll save me some gas.

Can it do any harm or is it okay?

Weapon_R
12-27-2005, 02:43 AM
Nothing wrong with that at all.

hockeybronx
12-27-2005, 02:57 AM
Yeah I definitely didn't figure this would be a huge issue. Just something to talk about I suppose.

Thanks!

Mightaswell
12-27-2005, 08:48 AM
Yeah what you're doing is fine. The only exception is if you drive a modern Corvette, Porsche, or any other highly tuned car. Cars like those need to be wound out every once an while. Not that anyone would have to remind you to do it.

A790
12-27-2005, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Mightaswell
Yeah what you're doing is fine. The only exception is if you drive a modern Corvette, Porsche, or any other highly tuned car. Cars like those need to be wound out every once an while. Not that anyone would have to remind you to do it.

Just like the RX7's. If you drive one of those and need to be reminded to actually drive it, there's something wrong.

SilverBoost
12-27-2005, 12:39 PM
Lugging the engine however during a breakin period is not recommended.

forkdork
12-27-2005, 01:03 PM
As long as the engine is running smoothly (not lugging it) you are fine. Just downshift when you feel you are lugging it.

tsi_neal
12-27-2005, 01:17 PM
Keep in mind that if youre below the cars effective torque youll use more gas running low rpm. A big example of this is my talon will get the best mileage cruising at 3500rpm, if i get to much below or above that my mileage is noticeably worse, this is steady speed highway cruising.

Oh and if your lugging the motor youll use LOTS more fuel.

Supa Dexta
12-27-2005, 03:24 PM
true^.. people think hey the car isn't loud, isn't revving very high, let it pull itself thru...but you also have to have the pedal down farther to get it to pull itself along, dumping more fuel in there than would be needed in a lower gear.. totally depends on the car and it's power though....

:)

90Tegra
12-27-2005, 04:02 PM
if u shift at 2k ur not saving gas and ur killing ur tranny.

HiSpec
12-28-2005, 12:31 AM
about the lugging the engine during break in period... so that means not the stall it right?
kind of hard for people first time driving manual transmission no?

Drsuce
12-28-2005, 01:44 AM
this is why having a torque monster is *sweet*

comfortably cruising at 1500 rpm :P sure dosent sound nice tho :P

the key for fuel econ would be the point where you can be as easy on the gas pedal as possible, and not bog...

even with a v8 i still cruise around 2200+ RPM

you never know when you will need a burst of speed, and if your in to high of a gear, you dont have the power to move.

good example is a flat tire :)
or if your rwd, slipping on ice.

also remember that you want to cruise at a constant rpm for fuel econ, not on and off the throttle. this is why city driving slaughtors fuel econ.

Goblin
12-28-2005, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by 90Tegra

what lmfao

SilverBoost
12-28-2005, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by HiSpec
about the lugging the engine during break in period... so that means not the stall it right?
kind of hard for people first time driving manual transmission no?

just don't drive 15 kph in 5th gear all day. Has nothing to do with stalling it while you learn how to drive stick.

forkdork
12-28-2005, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by 90Tegra

Yup....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :banghead:

You have no idea what you are talking about.

HiSpec
12-28-2005, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by SilverBoost

just don't drive 15 kph in 5th gear all day. Has nothing to do with stalling it while you learn how to drive stick.

ahh icic
so just don't drive slow in high gear?

thanks