PDA

View Full Version : New to Calgary...

TimG
12-27-2005, 06:11 PM
Hi guys

My name is Tim and I just moved to Calgary last week.

I'm in the process of getting my car on the road and I need to get an out of province inspection done on it. I have all of the forms, but I am looking for a shop that is mild-mod friendly. My car is a 2000 VW golf. The only visible mods are H&R/Bilstein suspension, a rear sway bar that "kind of" hangs a bit low and a cat-back exhaust.

Can someone recommend a decent place? I live in the deep south so something nearby would be cool, but I don't mind travelling if it means not having to deal with prick inspectors :D

Cheers

Tim

Weapon_R
12-27-2005, 06:26 PM
A 2000 golf should breeze through any inspection, but take it to Canadian tire if you're worried...sometimes I wonder if they even bother looking at the vehicle at all!

nismodrifter
12-27-2005, 10:59 PM
Welcome to Beyond.ca and Calgary! Yeah just take it to Canadian Tire, you'll have no problem passing.

also check out www.eurodrivers.ca
Its the local VW/Audi forum.
I also live in the deep south and drive a modded VW, maybe I'll see you around!

C4S
12-28-2005, 01:08 AM
Welcome to Calgary! Calgary is a VW city yeah! :thumbsup:

b_t
12-28-2005, 01:43 AM
I'll 3rd the canadian tire inspection, my buddy took a ridiculously modded car there on slick tires and it still passed.. the only thing he had to change, was get them to install windshield washer fluid jets since it had a carbon fiber hood and the stock ones weren't in there anymore.

TimG
01-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Yesterday I took my car to canadian tire based on the recommendations here. Passed the inspection with flying colours.

Today I'm driving on MacLeod and I start to smell something funny. I pull over and get out to see smoke coming out of my rear passenger whee well. I later discover that the calliper is siezed.

I go back to CT and talk with the assistant manager: "we saw that there had been recent brake work and didn't feel the need to take the tire off to inspect anything." WTF??

I mean, I realize that the calliper would have siezed no matter where I took it for an inpection, but the assistant manager telling me that they didn't bother taking the wheels off for a safety inspection :banghead: and then dodging the issue when I asked to see a copy of the checklist that they followed for the inspection.

I'm not getting anything automotive at CT anymore besides detailing supplies. :thumbsdow

tictactoe2004
01-03-2006, 10:38 PM
lol, thats funny man. not about the breaks but the rest of it....

Nissanaddict
01-03-2006, 10:40 PM
They said get it "inspected" there to pass, not to actually trust them. :P You go to Shawnessy? Shoddy shoddy work.

Aleks
01-03-2006, 11:15 PM
Oh man, that sucks.

I would NEVER take my car to Canadian tire. I would rather burn it to the ground myself then let those fokkers come near it. :banghead: :guns:

WBB6
01-03-2006, 11:31 PM
Mark or Pete @ Alpine Autowerks
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

tapout
01-04-2006, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
Oh man, that sucks.

I would NEVER take my car to Canadian tire. I would rather burn it to the ground myself then let those fokkers come near it. :banghead: :guns: :rofl: :rofl: :werd:

Goblin
01-04-2006, 02:39 AM
we thought you were asking to get in on the road "legally", not to actually get it inspected. lol

Tomaz
01-04-2006, 11:16 AM
they are great for passing cars, but not for actually working on it. Unless of course you take it to strathmore CT

freakin
01-04-2006, 03:41 PM
HAHA, I bet you could make them cover the repairs or at least seeing as how they passed it as safe. Just bitch and complain about how they almost killed you. Worth a shot, hehe. At worst, get your money back for the inspection.

But yeah, if it was Shawnessy, they're hella sketchy. I used to work there. I quit because I was being forced to recomend work that wasn't necesary on people's cars to scare them in to doing it.

PS, welcome to Calgary. :thumbsup:

CryoCarnage
01-04-2006, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
A 2000 golf should breeze through any inspection, but take it to Canadian tire if you're worried...sometimes I wonder if they even bother looking at the vehicle at all!
they dont. at least here. one of my friends used to work for them and thyed basically check if u have the right speedo on there :p.

phreezee
01-04-2006, 04:02 PM
Welcome to Calgary! I was in your shoes not too long ago. :) I just put on my Alberta plates last night! It's cool not having a front plate anymore.

Supa Dexta
01-04-2006, 06:12 PM
And the laminated "easy finder" maps at walmart, some gas stations.. etc.. are the best ones around when first moving here..
:)

alloroc
01-05-2006, 01:07 AM
Welcome.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/dixiex2/calgarycity.htm

Will teach you more than you want to know about the Greatest city on the planet.

Weapon_R
01-05-2006, 01:13 AM
Wait a minute...You asked us for a place that would pass your car guaranteed, hinting that it wasn't up to par. Now you are complaining about something that would have failed your car had they noticed?

TimG
01-05-2006, 12:42 PM
I asked for a place that wouldn't give me a hard time because of some suspension mods that I had.

I know that the calliper would have siezed no matter who did the inspection.

My beef is that the assistant manager told me that they didn't even remove the wheels during the inspection.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :thumbsup: