PDA

View Full Version : Temporary Transport Insurance

Weapon_R
12-28-2005, 03:05 AM
Every so often I see a car with a piece of paper and a number written on it affixed to the rear window. I assume that this is a temporary permit to transport a vehicle. If I purchased a car from another province and want to drive it here, is there some type of permit I can apply for to have it take place?

TimG
12-28-2005, 10:43 AM
I kind of when through this bringing a car registered in ontario with no insurance into alberta.

The companies I talked with said that they don't sell temporary insurance. I had to buy the full 6 month or 1 year policy. I could then get a temporary 7 day liscence permit to drive the car around to inspection stations and wherever.

Other insurance companies might sell temporary 7 or 10 day insurance. I know that ICBC sells temporary insurance/plates for something like $45/day.

Weapon_R
12-29-2005, 03:34 PM
ttt

dodad
12-29-2005, 03:40 PM
icbc is $25.00 a day
sask is $20.00

max_boost
12-29-2005, 04:30 PM
Not sure if things have changed in the past 3 yeras but the 'In Transport' documentation paper basically takes place of registration/plate for 2-3 days. You still have to prove you have insurance and provide a bill of sale for the said vehicle to the registry prior to them issuing you the paper. After you drive the car back, pass the out of province inspection, then you get the AB plates.

Not sure how things would work if you flew to your destination to see the car first and then decided to buy it, whether you can just fax the insurance and bill of sale to the registry and have them send you the 'In Transit' paper? :dunno:

Zero102
12-29-2005, 04:36 PM
Things have changed, now it is a single-trip permit. It serves as registration only, you need to provide your own insurance, and it's $20.
The best thing to do for that, is get a new plate, then when you're done, return the plate, and they mail you out a partial refund. Works out to be cheaper than the in-transit permit.

As far as temporary insurance goes, I have no idea.

schurchill39
12-29-2005, 06:52 PM
With my policy i have a sort of 14 day insurance where any vehicle that i just purchased falls under my policy. As long as i have the bill of sale and my insurance from my other car with me then its covered. Also I was told (but this is from my agent not registry) That i can use my own plate on the car and again as long as I have all of my papers i am good for up to 14 days, be it for transport or to go and take it for inspections and such

Nissanaddict
12-29-2005, 07:02 PM
Depends on the province. I've had these permits in BC and Alberta. Transporting a car from (or just within) BC, you have to go to a BC registry, and they will give you the insurance and registration for as many days as you need (they charge by the day), and it is valid all across Canada, unsure about the USA. In Alberta, you have to go to an insurance company, and purchase insurance (haven't found one that will give it to you for anywhere less than a whole month) and then you take the insurance slip to the registry, and they will give you a 7 day registration permit. I imagine most public insurance provinces will work similar to BC. That's all I know. These are all valid across all Canada to my knowledge though, but I have NO clue whatsoever about the USA.

Zero102
12-29-2005, 07:22 PM
With my policy i have a sort of 14 day insurance where any vehicle that i just purchased falls under my policy. As long as i have the bill of sale and my insurance from my other car with me then its covered. Also I was told (but this is from my agent not registry) That i can use my own plate on the car and again as long as I have all of my papers i am good for up to 14 days, be it for transport or to go and take it for inspections and such

Technically you're right. The insurance part is written into the 'Alberta Standard Automobile Insurance Policy', and the registration part is written into the 'Traffic Safety Act'. I posted about this either earlier in the year or last year. My advice is to print out the relevant sections of both acts, and carry them with you. This will ensure you have very little trouble with the local law enforcement.
I have been pulled over twice for having plates that don't match the car I was driving, I pull out the TSA, and they are generally very understanding.

TimG
12-30-2005, 01:15 AM
I found out today that the 7-day temporary in-transit permit that you get from the Alberta registry office is technically only valid for the trip between your residence and a mechanic's garage and back.

Zero102
12-30-2005, 03:29 AM
^^^
For the most part, it doesn't even cover you going back to your place.
They used to be 30-day regardless of number of trips, now they are single-trip. That's why I advised to simply get a plate :D

3G
01-02-2006, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Zero102

Technically you're right. The insurance part is written into the 'Alberta Standard Automobile Insurance Policy', and the registration part is written into the 'Traffic Safety Act'. I posted about this either earlier in the year or last year. My advice is to print out the relevant sections of both acts, and carry them with you. This will ensure you have very little trouble with the local law enforcement.
I have been pulled over twice for having plates that don't match the car I was driving, I pull out the TSA, and they are generally very understanding.

Do you have a copy of it?

schurchill39
01-02-2006, 01:56 AM
I am also intrested in a link to this. It would make taking my cars about alot easyer

Supa Dexta
01-02-2006, 11:17 AM
I can remember guys back east, getting their temp permit, it's basically a paper lisence plate you put in the rear or side windows.. I thought, it was good for 30days or something, I'll have to look into it... And your only allowed like 2 or 3 a yr, so you can't just keep getting one every month to cover your ass... I also believe it covered you somehow insurance wise, although I'm not sure who technically covers you in the event you had to use it, if it's the registry or what.. We only have the DMV or registry or whatever their new name is, government run, long lines and crappy service, what else is new..

:)

Zero102
01-02-2006, 11:21 AM
3G, in another thread under the law/current events section, I realizes that they modified the traffic safety act. The 14 day exemption is no longer written into it.
I have no idea what happened there. Whether it was pulled intentionally, or if I can just no longer find it.
However, I will find the relevant section from the alberta standard automobile insurance policy.
Let me see what I can dig up.

Zero102
01-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Okie dokie, found it.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79089

So, the only thing that may be different is that I referenced the TSA from 2002. They do not make mention on the page (Even now) that it is no longer current, so it may well be.
It's entirely possible that the document referenced in the law/current events section under skidmark's thread is actually for something completely different.

Hope this helps.