PDA

View Full Version : Fucking Ups!!!

Vypros
12-28-2005, 05:35 PM
Okay so a client I did work for bought me a wacom tablet. Xmas bonus. It just arrived now. He shipped it ups from atlanta georgia. Declared value $100usd.

I just fucking paid $60 brokerage fees for this fuckin thing.......WTF?!

ASSCUNTS!

GoChris
12-28-2005, 05:52 PM
i hate UPS. but oddly enough my buddy sent me up 2 sirius satellite radio receivers and the guy gave me the box and walked away.

no charge, no brokerage, nothing, it was weird.

Fusion
12-28-2005, 05:55 PM
same here my RC Mini T cost 130 i have to paid UPS 50 buk tax at my house

JAYMEZ
12-28-2005, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by GoChris
i hate UPS. but oddly enough my buddy sent me up 2 sirius satellite radio receivers and the guy gave me the box and walked away.

Same thing happened to me , then a month later i got the charge in the mail.

kaput
12-28-2005, 06:11 PM

freakin
12-28-2005, 06:21 PM
^^^Brokerage fees are what you pay the shipper to clear your items through customs. They'll send you a bill after the fact with a note sayint that they were nice enough to take care of it for you so that there wouldn't be any shipping delays.

I've never paid the brokerage fees with Purolator. They've billed me, but I've never paid them. As far as I'm concerned, it's a service that I never asked for. I'll do the paperwork and clear stuff myself....screw 'em.

They tried charging me $50 for a $40 set of fenders. I had 3 letters trying to get me to pay, which I ignored. The parts were left on my front door step with no signature. I didn't sign any sort of contract with them, and never agreed to to pay them. I've since had parts delivered via Purolator, so I guess they're not persuing the matter any further.

hampstor
12-28-2005, 09:24 PM
Don't forget that the customs/brokerage fee can include the GST on the item!

However I agree, UPS is one of the worst for shipping across the border. They charge you a ridiculous brokerage fee that they will send you in the mail later. Fedex includes the free up front so that's why their freight charges seem to be higher at first glance.

FiveFreshFish
12-28-2005, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by hampstor
Fedex includes the free up front so that's why their freight charges seem to be higher at first glance.

FedEx Express does, FedEx Ground does not.

Vagabond142
12-28-2005, 10:36 PM
UPS from the states is horrid. I've had a couple of items broken in transit before, so now I use USPS when ordering from the US. In Canada, if it's non-urgent then XpressPost 2-4 day post, if it is, Purolator overnight :thumbsup:

Vypros
12-29-2005, 12:24 AM
this wacom was brand new never used in shrink wrap. ups fucking RIPPED AND TORE THE ENTIRE PACKAGING. i got the tablet, and there was a box , well, ripped up wacom packaging, and the tablet was out of its plastic 'shell' just sitting there at the fucking top of the styrofoam peanuts. complete FUCKING SHIT. I fucking hate ups.

FiveFreshFish
12-29-2005, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Vypros
this wacom was brand new never used in shrink wrap. ups fucking RIPPED AND TORE THE ENTIRE PACKAGING. i got the tablet, and there was a box , well, ripped up wacom packaging, and the tablet was out of its plastic 'shell' just sitting there at the fucking top of the styrofoam peanuts. complete FUCKING SHIT. I fucking hate ups.

Canada Customs would be the dinks who did that.

MIWYFSHOTTER
12-29-2005, 12:35 AM
some dude sent me a money order for $40 and decared the value $40. when it came I had to pay $25 brokerage+taxes came out to $35 dollars.

no joke.

Vypros
12-29-2005, 01:39 AM
how the fuck can they justify this fucking shit......when i got a $225 digital camera from usa, it was shipped by USPS, arrived in 4 days, not 14, and i only got charged 19 duty tax.

get a 100 dollar tablet, ship it ups, wait 2weeks, and pay 60?!!!!!

tapout
12-29-2005, 01:44 AM
they are all crooks:thumbsdow

thinmyster
12-29-2005, 01:53 AM
i bought two small trim pieces for my car 49.XX in fees boo.. but this is nothing new everyone knows ups is shit:closed:

Toms-SC
12-29-2005, 02:00 AM
You guys ever figure that you are paying for a service? 'Waaa, I had to PAY for a long distance call?'

freakin
12-29-2005, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
You guys ever figure that you are paying for a service? 'Waaa, I had to PAY for a long distance call?'

The difference of course being that you ask for long distance service and it's a reasonable rate. You can clear your own goods through customs. Brokers are just there to speed up the process.

You can't just provide a service without asking someone if they want it, then charge them for it.

Vypros
12-29-2005, 10:58 AM
You guys ever figure that you are paying for a service? 'Waaa, I had to PAY for a long distance call?' wtf. fuck you buddy.

frostyda9
12-29-2005, 04:41 PM
UPS sucks dick. I ordered a set of clipless pedals for my MTB on blowout for $69USD, and the brokerage fees were $40. Fuckers.

Unless you're in a mad rush, XPresspost within Canada and USPS for US shipping are the only way to go.

natejj
12-29-2005, 11:45 PM
Fedex dinged me with a 20 dollar fee for a 250 USD item. i said screw them.

4 angry letters later, and im still laughing. One of these days ill write them a cheque.

Maybe....

GTS Jeff
12-29-2005, 11:52 PM
I always use USPS for US-Canada shipping. Their rates are very reasonable.

black_shadow_18
12-30-2005, 12:25 AM
^^ me too. and i have never ever had anything show up broken... yet

Zero102
12-30-2005, 02:31 AM
I use USPS whenever possible.
I usually pay up on the brokerage fees whether it is with FedEx or UPS, because if you don't pay them, the seller has to, and if they have to pay them, eventually they will stop shipping to canada. That said, if the seller fucked me over, I don't pay the fees. In the little contract they signed to ship the package, it says that if I don't pay, they have to. :D

R!zz0
12-30-2005, 12:54 PM
i hate UPS.

undelivered parcel service i never deal with them.

snowboard
12-30-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by natejj

4 angry letters later, and im still laughing. One of these days ill write them a cheque.

Maybe....

so your saying you took it and didnt pay?
then your full of it, fedex doesnt release packages to people who wont pay. its there own problem if they dont wanna pay. and only $7 of it goes to fed ex, the rest is customs BS.

snowboard
12-30-2005, 01:04 PM
oops double post

90s_tuner
12-30-2005, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by snowboard

so your saying you took it and didnt pay?
then your full of it, fedex doesnt release packages to people who wont pay. its there own problem if they dont wanna pay. and only $7 of it goes to fed ex, the rest is customs BS.

actually they use to just send you the invoice in the mail until just recently. apparently people were taking advantage of that flaw like me ahaha... I shipped stuff with my name misspelled so that their collection agency couldn't do anything! hah

JordanEG6
12-30-2005, 03:00 PM

haha the same thing happened to me TODAY! hahaah. i thought i'd get raped with brokerage 'cause it as a big ass box. i usally get charged with fees when shit comes to my door. i hate UPS, ive had so many problems with those fcukers :guns:

snowboard
12-30-2005, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by 90s_tuner

actually they use to just send you the invoice in the mail until just recently. apparently people were taking advantage of that flaw like me ahaha... I shipped stuff with my name misspelled so that their collection agency couldn't do anything! hah

well now we collect on arrival and if they dont wanna pay, fuck 'em haha

Toms-SC
12-31-2005, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Vypros
wtf. fuck you buddy.

Cheer up emo kid

3G
12-31-2005, 12:41 PM

Cheer up emo kid

:hijack: what's an emo kid, seen it quite a bit around the forums but dont get it?

Vypros
12-31-2005, 12:45 PM

Cheer up emo kid Go blow a goat :)

JordanEG6
12-31-2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by 3G

:hijack: what's an emo kid, seen it quite a bit around the forums but dont get it?

:werd: whats that?

ringmaster
12-31-2005, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6

:werd: whats that?

emo is the new street term for fag.

l8braker
12-31-2005, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by 3G

They're granola kids who like to talk about their feelings and listen to music that one would slit their wrists to. Pretty weak insult :rofl:

snowboard
12-31-2005, 02:43 PM
download
Bright eyes - anysong.
thats emo. ahah

Vypros
12-31-2005, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by l8braker

They're granola kids who like to talk about their feelings and listen to music that one would slit their wrists to. Pretty weak insult :rofl: :werd:

hampstor
12-31-2005, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by natejj

Maybe....

Did you pay GST up front ? If not:

250 USD x 0.07 x 1.17 = $20.48 (the GST in C$ you'd be paying on a 250USD item)

That's what that $20 fee was :angel:

If it's small items through work, I always ship fedex. Whenever possible, I try and get a skid and send it like that. Way cheaper!

Kobe
02-23-2006, 04:12 PM
I think im fucked.. Just checked my e-mail and the seller from USA sent the package UPS...

its a 1lb package, just a couple shirts...
How much am I looking at for the gay UPS fee's

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Foz
02-23-2006, 04:45 PM
I've been stung by UPS a few times. Never again!

Police
02-23-2006, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Kobe
I think im fucked.. Just checked my e-mail and the seller from USA sent the package UPS...

its a 1lb package, just a couple shirts...
How much am I looking at for the gay UPS fee's

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

whats the value?

Kobe
02-23-2006, 05:12 PM
Thats with shipping and everything

$110USD without shipping....

Shipping was $22USD

SpoonEK9@STRD
02-23-2006, 05:13 PM
UPS is gay....but brokerage fees are only charged if they know the value of item is over $200.00

so if the sender sent the item and put 200 worth of insurance on it, you have to pay brokerage. But if not, then you can complain.

86max
02-23-2006, 05:20 PM
UPS BROKERAGE

$0.00 to $20.00 $0

$20.01 to $40.00 $7.00

$40.01 to $100.00 $19.45

$100.01 to $200.00 $29.00

$200.01 to $350.00 $37.60

$350.01 to $500.00 $42.25

$500.01 to $750.00 $48.05

$750.01 to $1,000.00 $53.70

$1,000.01 to $1,250.00 $59.50

$1,250.01 to $1,600.00 $63.25

$1,600.01 to $5,000.00 $66.70

Each additional $1,000 $5.20

You also have to consider gst etc too. It's funny because I have a UPS bill at home charging me $37 (brokerage/gst/etc) on an item valued and insured at $44 :guns:

UPS can go to hell.

redx2nv
02-24-2006, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by 90s_tuner

Fed-ex is fucking stupid.

I had my te-37's shipped, $200 in extra charges...

So i paid them..

Two months later i get another bill for $200 and the shipper gets one for $200 too, what a bunch of dumb fucking autistic retards.

Took me hours, just to talk to somebody and about a whole week of BULLSHIT to clear this up. I always ship Canadian post/USPS now.

Envitro
02-24-2006, 01:22 PM
So is this what they mean when say Free Trade?

I've been stung by UPS a few times. Bought some parts for my Car Computer. The whole thing cost me $200 and I ended up having to pay $75 for the customs charge.

I bought $150 worth of other stuff, delivered by FedEx, no extra charge... Fuck UPS!

thetrousertrout
02-24-2006, 01:25 PM
I work for a UPS store sometimes, and I get this complaint quite alot.

Genreally speaking, you do not have to pay brokerage duties. they are usually included in the shipping price. When your package arrives at customs for clearance, sometimes, your package is one of the "randomly inspected packages" that CUSTOMS, not UPS, will take a look at. Charges that occur, called "brokerage fees" are infact levies/tarrifs/and import duties imposed by canada/USA customs.

While UPS is the bearer of bad news in this case, It is not UPS that has applied this extra charge to you, but infact canada customs and revenue agency.

If you want to go further into detail about this, I am more than willing to do so.

Chris

redx2nv
02-25-2006, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by thetrousertrout

Genreally speaking, you do not have to pay brokerage duties. they are usually included in the shipping price. When your package arrives at customs for clearance, sometimes, your package is one of the "randomly inspected packages" that CUSTOMS, not UPS, will take a look at. Charges that occur, called "brokerage fees" are infact levies/tarrifs/and import duties imposed by canada/USA customs.

While UPS is the bearer of bad news in this case, It is not UPS that has applied this extra charge to you, but infact canada customs and revenue agency.

If you want to go further into detail about this, I am more than willing to do so.

Chris

Ok, so how come i dont get charged this when i get mail from USPS?

xin
02-25-2006, 11:26 PM
I just received a pair of JDM stanley headlights for my CD5 thru Hong Kong post, only $23.50 duty for a $500 item. Whoo. Last time I shipped with UPS for a mugen grill through the states I got hit with $70 brokerage/duty fee for a $300 item:banghead: .

Team_Mclaren
02-25-2006, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by redx2nv

Ok, so how come i dont get charged this when i get mail from USPS?
\
^^ what he said.

When you ship with other carriers, they dont charge nearly as much as UPS. If the "brokage fee" is in fact charges by Canada customs and revenue agency. Then why is it so much more with UPS than anyone else?

I shipped with Fedex before for a 900US item and they only charged me 60CAD for brokage + GST.

xin
02-25-2006, 11:30 PM
^3x. In fact, I have never paid any brokerage fees for an USPS shipment.

Z24_3.1.
02-25-2006, 11:34 PM
lol i think a mod should sticky this lolololol everyone makes a thread about this

Toms-SC
02-25-2006, 11:50 PM

Yea, what this guy said :D

Team_Mclaren
02-26-2006, 02:34 AM

Yea, what this guy said :D

no one is bitching about having to pay for the service. But the "service" fee is just way overboard and more than any other companies.

if you dont like the topic here, GTFO thanks

Neil4Speed
02-26-2006, 12:14 PM
Exactly, it seems as if UPS is gouging, I mean there is nothing you can do, but still it looks bad on their company (as allot of people will do whatever they can to avoid UPS), and looks bad on brown people "what can brown do for for you?" (jk)

I have recently been having troubles with my packages being seached for USPS Global Express/Priority Shipments

Vypros
02-26-2006, 01:09 PM
When UPS charges me customs and brokerage fees, that are the same price as the product being shipped, or even more, we HAVE A RIGHT TO BITCH.

Vypros
02-26-2006, 01:12 PM
i dont understand why UPS has to do this, and other co mpanies never do.

I just had a big box of hockey cards shipped from texas. 8 pound box. pretty big box...... it was sent using Usps air mail, and my MAILMAN delievered it with a bill from bell mobility to my mailbox. teh box of cards cost me $40 usd and $10 usd to ship.

Toms-SC
02-26-2006, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

fee is just way overboard and more than any other companies.

if you dont like the topic here, GTFO thanks

Then how about NOT shipping with them? The way I see it there is a bunch of kids in here whining because its so expensive when they do not do their research before hand. You pay for what service you get. I've shipped thousands of dollars worth of car parts with UPS insured and with tracking number. I highly suggest their service. I've never had a package late and they call before they come.

Fedex would come in a close second with Canada Post and USPS being last. 3 weeks to get a MAFS delivered with their top of the line service, the tracking number they give is only good to the US border, then your shit out of luck tracking your parcel.

I'm going to bow out of this thread now. I look forward to the threads about how USPS lost your parcels and can't track them. :)

Team_Mclaren
02-26-2006, 04:27 PM

Then how about NOT shipping with them? The way I see it there is a bunch of kids in here whining because its so expensive when they do not do their research before hand. You pay for what service you get. I've shipped thousands of dollars worth of car parts with UPS insured and with tracking number. I highly suggest their service. I've never had a package late and they call before they come.

Fedex would come in a close second with Canada Post and USPS being last. 3 weeks to get a MAFS delivered with their top of the line service, the tracking number they give is only good to the US border, then your shit out of luck tracking your parcel.

I'm going to bow out of this thread now. I look forward to the threads about how USPS lost your parcels and can't track them. :)

Im sorry but if you have had experience shipping with companies from the states, then you would know that alot of them ONLY ships with UPS. It's really not up to the customers

thetrousertrout
02-26-2006, 04:47 PM
ok, differance between USPS and UPS. USPS does about 3000x the volume of UPS. lettermail, airmail, small and large packets, parcels, oversized lettermail ect, than UPS will EVER do, as USPS is alot cheaper. If you don't care how long it takes to get somewhere, ship USPS. Thus, the "random package inspections" is on a lot lower % than what gets inspected thru the couriers. I have been dinged before when I have purchased comics off of Ebay, and shipped USPS. $5 handling fee and GST usually. even if I only payed $3 for the comic.

Having said that, the bulk of USPS shipments are lettermail, and thus, are not as heavily inspected as larger parcels. Levies/tariffs and such, are worth alot more to customs on the bigger ticket items (rims, computers, televisions, some clothing, ect...), also, extra tax is placed on some items, IE: medicine destined for the US, to help curb americans from buying cheap drugs in canada.

Also, the "brokerage fees" can vary widely, it all depends on how the shipper fills out the customs declaration form. Just putting "gift" on the form does not cut it anymore. everyone ships "gifts" across the border now, in the hopes of avoiding duties. Now, if you ship a "gift" worth $400 to the states, only the first $100 of it will be allowed thru customs without being taxed. the remaining $300, will get taxed.

Of course there can be exceptions to this rule. For example, defective goods bought from the states, being returned to the manufacturer, with the proper wording and such on the forms, can get thru customs and back duty free, but not 100%

As for Fedex, Purolator, UPS, the actual brokerage fees are included in the shipping price. the "Customs brokerage fees" are the fees/fines/tariffs/taxes/whatever that US or Canadian customs impose on the shipment. As for one being cheaper than the other, nope, it is all dependant on the customs agent, how the moon, mars and mercury are in alignment, if his/her spouce is cheating on them, traffic was on the way to work....

Biggest piece of advice, when filling out the customs declaration form, remember, what that sheet is, is your message to the customs officer, sweet-talking them into letting your package thru with the least hassle possible.

If you want tips or advice on a shipment, and how to get it thru customs, PM me here, I will try to give you the best advice I can, to save you headaches. I have been known to get the impossible across the border in both directions.

Chris

thetrousertrout
02-26-2006, 04:51 PM

Im sorry but if you have had experience shipping with companies from the states, then you would know that alot of them ONLY ships with UPS. It's really not up to the customers

and there is a reason for this, UPS's tracking numbers are valid everywhere in the world. that way, if mr X, buys engine from corp Y, corp Y can say yes you did get it, when MR X trys to pull a fast one.

Yes the others do this too, but UPS sometimes works out deals with high volume shippers to not charge them dimensional weight, but only actual.

thetrousertrout
02-26-2006, 04:55 PM

\
^^ what he said.

When you ship with other carriers, they dont charge nearly as much as UPS. If the "brokage fee" is in fact charges by Canada customs and revenue agency. Then why is it so much more with UPS than anyone else?

I shipped with Fedex before for a 900US item and they only charged me 60CAD for brokage + GST.

so, $60, + 67.20(gst) = $127.20....

by what everyone else has said, this would also seem an unfair price to pay....

:dunno:

*edit* actually would have been higher than that, once you converted 900USD into CAD for the GST to be calculated.

900.00 USD United States Dollars = 1,035.11 CAD Canada Dollars (from XE.com today)

so, $60 + $76.66 = 136.66

thetrousertrout
02-26-2006, 04:58 PM
one last thing, then I will wait for the next round of questions to pop up.

Also, import duties can be higher on things, depending on where they are made....

A trade partner in better standings with a country, will usually be taxed alot less than a country that is always butting heads....

big reason why on the customs declaration form, it asks you, where the product being shipped was made.....:D

Ghettobaby
02-26-2006, 05:21 PM
In my experiences ups is more acceptable compared to DHL. I purchased a $1100 US turbo, and paid the $50 US shipping cost. A month later I get a bill from DHL for the amount of $442.85 US. I haven't paid it and don't plan on paying it. Its been 6 months now and they stopped sending those "final notice overdue payment" statements so its all good.

Vypros
02-26-2006, 05:57 PM

I'm going to bow out of this thread now. I look forward to the threads about how USPS lost your parcels and can't track them. :) Actually no, fuck. Sometimes people don't have a choice when choosing a shipper. See, my wacom was a gift, and he shipped it. I did NOT know it was UPS until they told me to pay them an arm and a damn leg to fucking receive the package. Therefor I have the right to complain. And yes, do whats best. Ignore this thread. Also you seem to think I'm just a whiny baby.......when the wacom tablet is worth $100 , and I get charged 80% of that just to receive it, i have the right to complain. That is just simply, WRONG.

Team_Mclaren
02-26-2006, 06:06 PM

so, $60, + 67.20(gst) = $127.20....

by what everyone else has said, this would also seem an unfair price to pay....

:dunno:

*edit* actually would have been higher than that, once you converted 900USD into CAD for the GST to be calculated.

900.00 USD United States Dollars = 1,035.11 CAD Canada Dollars (from XE.com today)

so, $60 + $76.66 = 136.66

actually my bad, it was 100CAD in total for brokage AND GST. I just found the paper work for it.

even if it was 140 CAD, that's 15%, not 60+% like some of us have been charged.

thetrousertrout
02-26-2006, 08:42 PM

actually my bad, it was 100CAD in total for brokage AND GST. I just found the paper work for it.

even if it was 140 CAD, that's 15%, not 60+% like some of us have been charged.

true, but again, it all depends on alot of other factors.

1) where it was made

2) was all the paperwork filled out correctly to reflect the situation. sometimes if paperwork is missing/filled out incorectly, fines can be imposed as well.

3) was the customs officer having a bad day?

and on another note, instead of bitching about having to pay, how many beyond members have received a package from the states by UPS, and not paid a thing?

and just in case you were wondering Team_Mclaren, no I am not picking on you, you have just posted more inteligent things that others, and am not trying to get into a whose dick is bigger contest.

Team_Mclaren
02-26-2006, 09:35 PM

true, but again, it all depends on alot of other factors.

1) where it was made

2) was all the paperwork filled out correctly to reflect the situation. sometimes if paperwork is missing/filled out incorectly, fines can be imposed as well.

3) was the customs officer having a bad day?

and on another note, instead of bitching about having to pay, how many beyond members have received a package from the states by UPS, and not paid a thing?

and just in case you were wondering Team_Mclaren, no I am not picking on you, you have just posted more inteligent things that others, and am not trying to get into a whose dick is bigger contest.

oh no poblem, I really enjoy reading your responses in this thread, very helpful thanks and you explained things very well.

Vypros
02-26-2006, 09:46 PM

5/5 packages received from ups have had a minimum of a 70% brokerage and customs fee charge.

elementone
02-26-2006, 10:45 PM
this is interesting.. cuz i had never had to fuck around with this importing shit until i came up here.. it is bullshit.
Now what ive done, i just try to be as friendly (brown nose) with the shipper, and ask them to claim the item for less. Ex. I just bought a full exhaust ($500USD) system from ebay, guy is claiming it to be $100USD worth and its a "gift".
I used ups down in CA with everything that i shipped, i liked how fast they were and how they came to ur house to pick u your shit :)

FiveFreshFish
02-26-2006, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by elementone
I used ups down in CA with everything that i shipped, i liked how fast they were and how they came to ur house to pick u your shit :)

UPS works great within the US.

Too bad most American vendors don't realize that the brokerage fee and GST charged at the border makes UPS the worst choice for shipping stuff to Canada.

thetrousertrout
02-27-2006, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

UPS works great within the US.

Too bad most American vendors don't realize that the brokerage fee and GST charged at the border makes UPS the worst choice for shipping stuff to Canada.

GST will be the same, no matter what courier you use, as for brokerage, all depends on your custom agent. What you have stated makes UPS no worse than any other cross-boder courier.

Team_Mclaren
02-27-2006, 01:16 AM
correct me if i'm wrong, dont all couriers have contracts with different custom agents? So I assume that the brokerage fees are charges by the contracted custom agent but not the courier itself?

FiveFreshFish
02-27-2006, 01:16 AM

GST will be the same, no matter what courier you use, as for brokerage, all depends on your custom agent. What you have stated makes UPS no worse than any other cross-boder courier.

Which is why it's best to use US Postal to avoid the couriers' unreasonable brokerage fee when GST is involved.

I never purchase anything from the US if they only ship by courier, unless it's a big-buck item where the brokerage charge is only a small percentage of the value of the goods.

kenny
02-27-2006, 01:30 AM

Chris

Nice attempt at shifting the attention to Canada Customs! Based on the last several packages I have received the ones that are not opened by Canada Customs just has GST added on based on the declared value. There are no other charges.

On packages that ARE opened by Canada Customs, I get a $5 charge for processing fee and then the usual 7% GST. However, I noticed when they open packages they charge GST based on the value on any invoices or shipping documents as opposed to what the shipped declared as the "value".

Shipping costs are usually very similar between fedex, and ups so I don't see how its "included" in fedex shipping prices but not in UPS prices. I believe it is pure gouging on UPS' behalf and thats why I refuse to do business with any company that ships only with UPS.

thetrousertrout
02-27-2006, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by kenny

Nice attempt at shifting the attention to Canada Customs! Based on the last several packages I have received the ones that are not opened by Canada Customs just has GST added on based on the declared value. There are no other charges.

On packages that ARE opened by Canada Customs, I get a $5 charge for processing fee and then the usual 7% GST. However, I noticed when they open packages they charge GST based on the value on any invoices or shipping documents as opposed to what the shipped declared as the "value".

Shipping costs are usually very similar between fedex, and ups so I don't see how its "included" in fedex shipping prices but not in UPS prices. I believe it is pure gouging on UPS' behalf and thats why I refuse to do business with any company that ships only with UPS.

not gonna bother re-typing everything again, please read the whole thread before opening mouth and inserting foot.

thetrousertrout
02-27-2006, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Which is why it's best to use US Postal to avoid the couriers' unreasonable brokerage fee when GST is involved.

I never purchase anything from the US if they only ship by courier, unless it's a big-buck item where the brokerage charge is only a small percentage of the value of the goods.

Absolutely 100% correct. use USPS if you don't mind waiting longer to get your packages, and don't want a tracking number.

thetrousertrout
02-27-2006, 12:17 PM
Also, for people who think I am coming to Bat for UPS, not so.

I am undercontract with a friend who owns a UPS Store , which yes is owned by UPS, but is a totally seperate business.

really, I don't care if you use UPS or not, in the end, use the courier you are most comfortable with. But before you jump on a company, do your research first, instead of shooting the messenger.

Again, I will make myself available to anyone who would like shipping advice.

Chris.

if you deem it appropriate, you can also call me at work at 547-0077

lowryder99
02-27-2006, 02:17 PM
UPS's "brokerage" is nothing more than legal fucking rape.

I got charged 45 bucks for FREE catalog's that came from the US. The ONLY reason I paid it is because the company told me they would not deal with me on parts any more if I didn't pay the fee (because they would have to)

Last week I got 100 bucks worth of clothes sent and they charged me 49.90.

Never again UPS, FUCK YOU.

Just a note for you guys, if they ever fuck you over real bad demand that they give you a "one time good will"

They have to offer this to everyone, basically it exempts you from your charges (only way this works is if you get sent a bill in the mail"

Use USPS, they don't rape you near as bad and their service is just as good.

thetrousertrout
02-27-2006, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by lowryder99
UPS's "brokerage" is nothing more than legal fucking rape.

I got charged 45 bucks for FREE catalog's that came from the US. The ONLY reason I paid it is because the company told me they would not deal with me on parts any more if I didn't pay the fee (because they would have to)

Chances are, they send you the catalog free, but sent it C.O.D.

else they didn't fill out the customs paperwork correctly.

FiveFreshFish
02-27-2006, 09:03 PM

Absolutely 100% correct. use USPS if you don't mind waiting longer to get your packages, and don't want a tracking number.

If the vendor uses USPS Global Express Mail (http://www.usps.com/global/globalexpressmail.htm), you can get a tracking number. I got a package delivered in 3 business days.

Once it clears customs, Purolator takes over and delivers the package, and an invoice comes later in the mail so you don't need to pay before they release your stuff. :D

I only got charged $5.00 (plus $0.35 GST) for the handling fee for goods declared at just under $600.

thetrousertrout
02-27-2006, 11:58 PM
yep, you paid 35 cents on the $5 handeling fee.

right above that, $46 and change in GST on the actual item.

again, if you don't care how long it takes to get to you, ship it USPS/canada post.

remember, the biggest reasons you use a courier to ship, is speed/tracking/guarantees.

and on a side note, some items are exempt from import duties due to NAFTA. (again, depends on where it was made, and reasons for it being shipped)

FiveFreshFish
02-28-2006, 12:09 AM
^^^ Yup, I paid the invoice online. So convenient. (See second paragraph of the attached invoice.)

Actually, the GST paid on the item was $41.61. The $46.96 was the grand total.