PDA

View Full Version : Drunk Driving Punishments

Drsuce
12-29-2005, 06:16 PM
what should the punishment be if convicted of drunk driving?

Drsuce
12-29-2005, 06:23 PM
i should also mention that i think driving with a suspended lisence should be AUTO 3+ yr in jail... most people who get charged with impaired driving just drive with a suspended lisence... BS :(

honestly, if your dumb enough to drive drunk, then drive w/o a lisence after that, i dont want to see you on the streets *shrug*

cman
12-29-2005, 06:24 PM
6 months, the first two have no justification. the last one is too leniant.

Drsuce
12-29-2005, 06:26 PM
meh, if you ran through a mall with a sword swingin it around n shit im sure you'd get charged with attempted murder or somthin :P

how is driving a 3000+lb chunk of steel down the road at 80KPH hammered any diffrent?

cman
12-29-2005, 06:29 PM
It is different because unless they have valid proof that your sole intent was to murder someone, but failed at this goal, then it is not attempted murder.
Assault with a deadly weapon, if no one got injured then no one was assaulted, so how could they possibly charge you with that?

SilverBoost
12-29-2005, 06:34 PM
Jail time serves no purpose unless they actually hit someone or caused a fatal accident. Community service is better. i.e. sweeping up the sidewalks with a t-shirt on that says "I drove drunk". Punlic humiliation works wonders. Jailtime is a great way of wasting more tax dollars teaching someone how to be a better criminal.

There's a lot of places that could use cleaning up in this town, and there are way too many people in jail doing sweet fuck all but killing time that coudl be out doing it.

AD_Runner
12-29-2005, 06:35 PM
1 & 2 --- to harsh for first time offense. 3rd is a good starting place -- cost should be higher, but not so much Jail time .... and last to leniant -- Something in between ....... Not every person is going to need "6 mths" in Jail to figure it out...... It's the individuals who break the law, over and over that need harsher punishments -- like on the 2nd offense ..... Maybe the first offense, spend a week in Jail with about $5000.00 in fines..... and 2nd offense, maybe 6 mths in Jail, higher fines, and no drivers license for about 6 mths to a year when you get out ............ IMO

:dunno:

Drsuce
12-29-2005, 06:42 PM
everyone knows that stats behind drunk driver related fatalities, there should be NO leniancy. you drink, you drive, you kill.

i would consider every vehicle a drunk driver passes an attempt to kill :/

it shouldent have to result in a crash for these idiots to be fuxxored :P

Drsuce
12-29-2005, 06:44 PM
heh, make em kick it old school and give em manual labor in jail! :D dont some US states still have manual labor in jail?

schurchill39
12-29-2005, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by SilverBoost
...Community service is better. i.e. sweeping up the sidewalks with a t-shirt on that says "I drove drunk". Public humiliation works wonders....

This is the best idea i have yet to hear.

BerserkerCatSplat
12-29-2005, 08:14 PM
Public humiliation would be the best by far, but todays notion of "human rights" (not that I think criminals should have any) prevents governments from taking such actions. It's a shame, really.

pinoyhero
12-29-2005, 08:42 PM
In between the 6 monther and slap on wrist

hampstor
12-29-2005, 10:13 PM
I don't think 1 and 2 are entirely feasible. It basically is charging someone for a crime they did not commit (it states "even if you don't hit anyone").

3 is the best option out of those, but like others I do community service + public humiliation is the best.

SilverBoost
12-30-2005, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Public humiliation would be the best by far, but todays notion of "human rights" (not that I think criminals should have any) prevents governments from taking such actions. It's a shame, really.

Human rights.... yeah, human rights really means complete idiots get a fair shake.

I saw a story (A&E I think?) a few years back about a small jail in some state where the sheriff there still implements chain gangs. They still dress in prison stripes and work on the sides of the highways and such under armed guard. He was getting shit from some of these so called "human-rights" organizations. He didn't care though. He said he rate of crime reoccurance was pretty low. Prison is such a huge ass-fuck for tax payers. Everyone in jail should be working - hard labour... doing the shit fuck jobs that nobody on this planet wants to do. But no, instead it's a great way to get a free education, pump iron, 3 squares a day and a warm bed every night without having ANY personal responsibilities beyond making your damn bed and flushing your stainless shitcan. Apparently getting ass-fucked in the shower is not enough of a deterrent for some to pass up this lap of luxury.

I say that sheriff has got it right.

BerserkerCatSplat
12-30-2005, 01:39 AM
Did you know that incarcerated criminals in Canada get to vote? Boy, does that piss me off. You'd think that going to jail would mean you don't get to have a say in who runs the country, but noooo. :banghead:

Mo Squared
12-30-2005, 03:46 AM
I might be a bit baist becasue i just got hit by one, but i think that the assault with a deadly weapon sounds fair, I mean i was lucky to come out ok, but if they collision was 2 feet closer to my door i woulda been dead, i just think that punishment should equal the worst possible outcome....

Redlyne_mr2
12-30-2005, 11:31 AM
Throw the book at people who do that. You guys are too lienient..our judicial system is a joke and crime is going up because we give criminals too many rights. burn them all!

abyss
12-30-2005, 11:48 AM
I don't think there are enough choices on that poll, I'm sure if there was more hours of jailtime and community service people would pick that instead. I agree with the public humiliation, too bad we can't drag people through the streets anymore. I say keep em all until the Stampede Parade and then drag them all behind the parade all wearing t-shirts saying "I drove drunk" and give the kids pieces of fruitcake to throw at them (cause it's more humane than rocks but hurts just as much ;) )

skandalouz_08
12-30-2005, 11:55 AM
I think that the 6 months is good for the first time, and they lose their license for a year.
BTW what is the current penalty for a person who gets caught drunk driving for their first time?

HTN SWCHS
12-30-2005, 04:52 PM
i think the current suspension crap is good enough

DelSoln
12-30-2005, 05:32 PM
I would also like to see them lose their drivers license for life regardless of whether they kill someone or not.

BerserkerCatSplat
12-30-2005, 05:35 PM
From an issue of Road & Track:

The "Environmental Engineering News" published some rather sobering information about punishment for drunk driving convictions in other countries.

In Australia, the names of drunk drivers are printed in newspapers under the caption, "He's drunk and in jail."

In Malaysia the driver is jailed and, if married, the spouse is jailed.

In the United Kingdom, Finland and Sweden there's an automatic jail term of one year.

In Turkey, drunk drivers are driven twenty miles out of town and forced to walk back ten miles.

In Bulgaria, a second drunk-driving conviction results in capital punishment.

In El Salvador, your first offense is your last -- execution by firing squad.

Canada is far too soft on drunk drivers.

Drsuce
12-30-2005, 10:22 PM
i think that the vehicle and all contents should be towed and sold at auction :P

if that was the case i'd hang around all the fat-cat buisness men and watch em getting busted for driving drunk, then go buy their new uber fat-cat car :P

calgarys_finest
12-31-2005, 02:29 AM
then driving with undo care and attentions should fall under the same catagory, its a fact that driving while on a cell phone causes more accidents than drunk driving maybe not more death i am unfamillar with those stats. but if you get in a accident while on the phone there is no criminal charge.