PDA

View Full Version : Why to people in Saturns always want to race?

Bill Cosby
01-02-2006, 11:48 AM
So i was just wondering why teenagers driving daddys sunday car always try to race me at a stop light, last night i look to my left and see two teenagers staring me down revving the engine, it confused the shit out of me, not to be cocky but they arent gonna be able to beat me,.. and what do i have to prove?, you're driving a saturn!!!.. this isnt even the first time its happened, whats wrong with teenagers man, sure im a teenager myself, but i am not gonna pull up to a stop light and challenge another car, its just not ethical, and plus its hard on the car and makes me get worse gas mileage, and who the fuck can afford gas,..

ugh. anyways,.. i guess im just whining about the lack of maturity on calgarys roads

driving is to get from point a to b
so do it safely, speeding will get you there faster but at what cost

R!zz0
01-02-2006, 12:13 PM
If i am not mistaken Some Satty's have a Honda engine. Maybe thats why they wanna dance with you.

steelo
01-02-2006, 12:28 PM
Same reason ricers always want to race.

Drsuce
01-02-2006, 03:07 PM
your lucky :P people never wanna race me unless im in somone elses car...

my gt is so loud that people are afraid, and the mystic... well unless its ideal conditions, it wont be raced. slamming a 1 of 9 vehicle into a pole is not an option :P

as far as saturns go, most of em use the chevy 2.2 *shrug* my roomates saturn is a lil coupe.... i'd assume it would be as fast as a civic or j-body. im 5'6 and cant fit in the back seat.

achtung
01-02-2006, 03:38 PM
go fucking ask them. we don't drive saturns.

tsi_neal
01-02-2006, 03:41 PM
Id like to know why kids in 240s wont leave me alone, but i dont post about it

^oh shit i just did :rofl:

Go4Long
01-02-2006, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Drsuce
as far as saturns go, most of em use the chevy 2.2 *shrug* my roomates saturn is a lil coupe.... i'd assume it would be as fast as a civic or j-body. im 5'6 and cant fit in the back seat.
yup...only saturn with a honda motor is the VUE...

Z24_3.1.
01-02-2006, 03:54 PM
^ no one messes with the DSM :P

retro-steve
01-02-2006, 04:11 PM
i found when i had my Saturn SC2 people in Honda's always tried to race me :dunno: but that SC2 was fast! 140HP out of the 1.9L DOHC motor and it was lighter than Roseanne.

but really if it bugs you that much that people want to race you either de-rice your car or point and laugh when they rev their engine.

Drsuce
01-02-2006, 04:44 PM
or just turn up the stereo :)

3G
01-02-2006, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Z24_3.1.
^ no one messes with the DSM :P

Especially an automatic one with a blown tranny
;)

Sorath
01-02-2006, 05:11 PM
no one tries to race me on the streets :(

Drsuce
01-02-2006, 05:15 PM
i'd love to give an r32 a run :P how many lbs are they?

my gt should be a decent match for a gts-t.... nearly the same power

a gtr would most likly murder my cobra, it'd be a fun race tho!

retro-steve
01-02-2006, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Sorath

it's because they know you'll own them :poosie:

retro-steve
01-02-2006, 05:23 PM
on a side note: i'm bored...any one up for a cruise somewhere?

Seanith
01-02-2006, 05:28 PM
So is Roseanne up to 3000lbs yet?

retro-steve
01-02-2006, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Seanith
So is Roseanne up to 3000lbs yet?

she broke 5,500 last week...

Drsuce
01-02-2006, 05:30 PM
hey steve, im up for a cruise today/tonight... tell me when and were :P

retro-steve
01-02-2006, 05:41 PM
going to limmericks...i'll give ya a call

Sorath
01-02-2006, 05:47 PM
i'd love to give an r32 a run :P how many lbs are they?

my gt should be a decent match for a gts-t.... nearly the same power

a gtr would most likly murder my cobra, it'd be a fun race tho!

Drsuce
01-02-2006, 05:56 PM
ohhh might be interesting :) is yours gtr or gts-t?

mustang definitly has more weight, but should have more torque :P

awd would rape me outa the hole tho :P

Sorath
01-02-2006, 06:01 PM
gts-t

Sorath
01-02-2006, 06:01 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113944

so ive opened my car hood for u to see : )

illeagle
01-02-2006, 06:17 PM

I'll race you.....for pinks, I need a new winter car

:poosie:

Drsuce
01-02-2006, 06:27 PM
nice car :) i absolutly LOVE wine red :P

my GT would put down pretty similar numbers, would probably be a drivers race :D

Sorath
01-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by illeagle

I'll race you.....for pinks, I need a new winter car

:poosie:

pfffft :P

tsi_neal
01-02-2006, 07:49 PM

Consider yourself lucky, i find it a massive pain in the ass.

CelicaST-162
01-02-2006, 08:02 PM

pfffft :P

Ill race you :)

403Gemini
01-03-2006, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by Bill Cosby
So i was just wondering why teenagers driving daddys sunday car always try to race me at a stop light, last night i look to my left and see two teenagers staring me down revving the engine, it confused the shit out of me, not to be cocky but they arent gonna be able to beat me,.. and what do i have to prove?, you're driving a saturn!!!.. this isnt even the first time its happened, whats wrong with teenagers man, sure im a teenager myself, but i am not gonna pull up to a stop light and challenge another car, its just not ethical, and plus its hard on the car and makes me get worse gas mileage, and who the fuck can afford gas,..

ugh. anyways,.. i guess im just whining about the lack of maturity on calgarys roads

cause we're so fast.... beeotch ;) lol
edit: and you guys are crazy crack heads. a SC2 (my car) is a 1.9 L 124 hp. they're pretty slow... heh

though ill admit, i drove my sisters 05 matrix XR last week and it felt sluggish compared to my saturn (least the acceleration did) 170 hp matrix = torqueless wonder haha

Akagi Redsuns
01-03-2006, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
snip..........

though ill admit, i drove my sisters 05 matrix XR last week and it felt sluggish compared to my saturn (least the acceleration did) 170 hp matrix = torqueless wonder haha

Huh...the Matrix XR has the 130HP motor, so no wonder it felt sluggish. Only the XRS model comes equipped with the 170HP 2ZZ-GE motor. Too bad it has no torque so it will feel just as sluggish until you hit the highspeed cam swithcover at 6,600 RPM.

Penguin_Racecar
01-03-2006, 10:19 AM

I don't get it, what are you doing on these forums?

habsfan
01-03-2006, 10:24 AM
edit: and you guys are crazy crack heads. a SC2 (my car) is a 1.9 L 124 hp. they're pretty slow... heh

and i bet that the saturn would come out of a hearty kick to the door just a bit better ;)

handsomebassman
01-03-2006, 10:26 AM
I like how if you get your windows tinted, and have a clean car, people think all of a sudden that you want to race.

I have a 5% tint on my black coupe, and i can see the people look over at me, rev the shit out of their engine, and then when the light turns green, they fly away. I guess the best thing to do would be start laughing and pointing, and roll down the black ass window while doin it. Make em feel real dumb. Im all game for racing, but when its other peoples familys and kids on the roads, i say fuckit. Save it for the track.

I found the same problem when my truck was repainted and i installed LED's tailights. You would be surprised how many idiots would pull up beside me at night and want to race from a light. Sure, my torque would twist your unibody into a tight coil, but when your truck is as aerodynamic as a barn, and has tremendously low gearing and big muds, you aint pullin any wicked 0-60 times.

403Gemini
01-03-2006, 12:06 PM
People in neons and civics always want to race me. the other night was pretty funny, some kid in a neon pulls up next to me and looks over, so of course i naturally look over then look forward. no big deal.

then he goes in reverse, im thinking "oh he must be in the wrong lane, probably just gonna swing into mine" (it was about 1:30 am so nobody behind us) and then he peels out from behind me right next to me again and looks over i look over giving him the "what the fuck...?" look. sure enough, he does it again. My buddy stares at him and is like "what? does he want to race?" so my friend unrolls his window and yells out "YOU DRIVE A NEON! WE'RE IN A SATURN, do you want to see who can hit 30 km faster??!"

haha ive never seen a kid look so pissed. not even a srt-4, nothing but a stock neon. ugh. Some people are so silly hah

Akagi: thanks for the correction :D

Orbie
01-03-2006, 01:19 PM
so my friend unrolls his window and yells out "YOU DRIVE A NEON! WE'RE IN A SATURN, do you want to see who can hit 30 km faster??!"

Haha, your friend has a good sense of humor. There definitely isn't a shortage of immature drivers out there, my biggest pet peeve is being tailgated through playground zones like 30km/h is too slow! In my experience I don't get any ricers trying to race (hondas, neons or saturns), it's always Audis or Trucks with me. :dunno:

retro-steve
01-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Orbie

Haha, your friend has a good sense of humor. There definitely isn't a shortage of immature drivers out there, my biggest pet peeve is being tailgated through playground zones like 30km/h is too slow! In my experience I don't get any ricers trying to race (hondas, neons or saturns), it's always Audis or Trucks with me. :dunno:

at least you don't get 50 year old guys in mini-vans trying to relive their youth :rofl: seriously i've had more people over 50 in their family cars try to race me than kids in sport coupes. when i first got the car i was on JL blvd at like 12:30am and i see this old couple in a honda odessey at the lights looking at me. i didn't know wtf was going on so when the light turned green i started to drive normally but i noticed he was spinning his tires and his wife was laughing her ass off. that's when i realized "oh race, funny" i punch the gas, pull passed him, hit the speed limit and flash my 4-ways.

so it's not just ricers that want to race, it's the midlife crisis avengers too!

l8braker
01-03-2006, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by retro-steve

at least you don't get 50 year old guys in mini-vans trying to relive their youth :rofl: seriously i've had more people over 50 in their family cars try to race me than kids in sport coupes. when i first got the car i was on JL blvd at like 12:30am and i see this old couple in a honda odessey at the lights looking at me. i didn't know wtf was going on so when the light turned green i started to drive normally but i noticed he was spinning his tires and his wife was laughing her ass off. that's when i realized "oh race, funny" i punch the gas, pull passed him, hit the speed limit and flash my 4-ways.

so it's not just ricers that want to race, it's the midlife crisis avengers too!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: same thing around here man. old daddy's in their 40's trying to race/pass/tailgate younger drivers down here (sw). little bit of intimidation and reliving their youthful days :rofl: they ain't getting any younger.

retro-steve
01-03-2006, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by l8braker

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: same thing around here man. old daddy's in their 40's trying to race/pass/tailgate younger drivers down here (sw). little bit of intimidation and reliving their youthful days :rofl: they ain't getting any younger.

ya man i live in elbow park so i know the deal with them down here but this was like the first night i got my car and was house sitting for my bro up north, so i guess it's a city-wide epidemic :rofl:

Orbie
01-03-2006, 01:46 PM

Haha nice, I don't know what's more funny the mini-van trying to race you or the image of a Mustang putting on the hazards street racing style after blowing away an elderly couple in the mini-van. Actually though, the people in the Audis and Trucks are midlifers! so I know how you feel and yes it's an epidemic.

Aleks
01-03-2006, 01:52 PM
LOL when i had my integra a guy in an e46 M3 revved at me?! :confused: My car looked stock. Like wtf. I guess he wanted to impress his lady. the look on his face was priceless at the next set of lights tho... damn i miss that car :(

403Gemini
01-03-2006, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by l8braker

haha what end of the SW?! i live in millrise, i TOTALLY know what you're talking about haha. they make it seem like a crime to slow down to 30 in a playground zone.

turbo'dGSR
01-03-2006, 03:57 PM

Not for enthusiasts, why the hell would we put thousands of dollars into our cars just to "get there"?

Me neither, and when they do, its a stock rusty pos.

nixon45
01-03-2006, 04:54 PM

ya man i live in elbow park so i know the deal with them down here but this was like the first night i got my car and was house sitting for my bro up north, so i guess it's a city-wide epidemic :rofl:

I live right next to you pretty much and always get the mini-vans tryin to start shit.

My biggest problem is with a playground zone right by my house that runs along a park. I could sit looking out my front window for an hour and only count one or two people who actually go 30k through it. The rest of the time it is some douche in a pickup doing 70 through it. I am not trying to play toy cop here but there are a TON of kids in this area that have to cross that road to get to/home from school... one of them is going to get killed. I always get the people behind me in the PGZ that think me doing the speed limit is a crime... so they ride my jock and try to pass me in the other lane.

Worst part is the city doesnt do anything about it... not even a single traffic calming device. The cops could make their quota easy by just sitting around this playground zone catching the people that race though it.

l8braker
01-03-2006, 04:58 PM

haha what end of the SW?! i live in millrise, i TOTALLY know what you're talking about haha. they make it seem like a crime to slow down to 30 in a playground zone.

I just moved to Oakridge! Good people around here, but these old farts with their cars :nut: Glad to know i'm not alone!!!!

alloroc
01-03-2006, 05:02 PM
Ya'll have it all wrong.

These folks are trying to race their Saturns because they realized it costs too much to flog their dodge pickup trucks!

Primer_Drift
01-03-2006, 05:11 PM
I hate to admit it.. but I often drive the family sl2 saturn
I've gotta say for 124hp, 2400 lb vehicle it can still hand a civic its ass :dunno: (yeah that doesnt say much)

As to why people in saturns always want to race.. they are not racing. They just want to get where they are going really bad so they are not seen driving their Saturns.

Sorath
01-03-2006, 05:13 PM
lol wtf...

403Gemini
01-03-2006, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Primer_Drift
I hate to admit it.. but I often drive the family sl2 saturn
I've gotta say for 124hp, 2400 lb vehicle it can still hand a civic its ass :dunno: (yeah that doesnt say much)

As to why people in saturns always want to race.. they are not racing. They just want to get where they are going really bad so they are not seen driving their Saturns.

yea exactally (to both points) haha

93hustler
01-03-2006, 10:15 PM
You can blame The F&F movies on teens wanting to race. When the third one comes out wait at a movie theatre that has just finished playing it and there will be many punk kids wanting to race LOL:rofl:

tsi_neal
01-03-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by 93hustler
You can blame The F&F movies on teens wanting to race. When the third one comes out wait at a movie theatre that has just finished playing it and there will be many punk kids wanting to race LOL:rofl:

Think they would be dumb enough to race for pinks :rolleyes:

Sorath
01-03-2006, 11:01 PM
man, when the 3rd f&f comes out i hope it totally brings those teens into the fr drifting scene, then i can sell my car for more :P

Nissanaddict
01-03-2006, 11:03 PM
Amen to that. :D

s3v3n
01-04-2006, 01:09 AM
this is one thing that i have never really had a problem with. from reading on here youd think that people were being revved at on a daily basis!

since owning my current car i think i have had maybe 4 people try to initiate a race.
1 - some big truck in a construction zone ... wtf?
2 - modded wrx ... kinda wish i could have given him a run, but of course i had a half-disconnected ic pipe and was limping home outta boost :(
3 - another truck in like a 50 zone!
4 - some sunfire (nothing against sunfires btw) wanting to go from a roll on the highway (i was cruising at 170 ... did he even have any gearing left at that point?)

i dunno ... ive pulled up next to civics/saturns/240s/rx7s/mx-6s etc with a red light and an empty stretch of road but nobody seems interested. i was starting to think that nobody really gave it a go off the lights anymore :dunno:

oh well, on the plus side, at least im not bothered by people revving and burning out next to me all the time :rolleyes:

tapout
01-04-2006, 05:24 AM
your lucky :P people never wanna race me unless im in somone elses car...

my gt is so loud that people are afraid, and the mystic... well unless its ideal conditions, it wont be raced. slamming a 1 of 9 vehicle into a pole is not an option :P

as far as saturns go, most of em use the chevy 2.2 *shrug* my roomates saturn is a lil coupe.... i'd assume it would be as fast as a civic or j-body. im 5'6 and cant fit in the back seat. :werd: pony power:D

theken
01-04-2006, 01:25 PM
all i get is preludes but theres no point in that, and damn lancers, every single lancer thinks there an evo, and wanna lose to a 300, i dont even bother, just normal acceleration beats them haha

mshaw
01-05-2006, 03:03 AM
i pulled up to an e46 m3 today and i didnt do the gay reving engine shit but i did take off quickish, i know it would smoke me and i dont want to race it for no reason. i just love how they sound. i rolled my windows down and just listened to it smoke past me. he probably thought exactly what some of you are thinking about saturns. by the way my car is a 1990 nissan stanza automatic

bspot
01-05-2006, 03:12 AM
Beware the redline ion ;) Those can take you buy suprise if you think your up against a 2.2L 140hp car.

The redline sky with 260 hp supposedly will do 0-60 in 5.5 :eek:

Saturns are definitely getting faster, although I heard they might drop the ion redline because saturn drivers don't want to go fast dammit.

Sorath
01-05-2006, 06:01 AM
man, i still wouldnt get one, they look terrible

BoS_DC2
01-05-2006, 06:57 AM

they look better than a cobalt

SilverBoost
01-05-2006, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by BoS_DC2

they look better than a cobalt

at least on the redline you can kick the doorpanels. :)

or did saturn stop doing that? :dunno: I don't keep up on the progresion of saturns. :)

Primer_Drift
01-05-2006, 12:42 PM
Yeah they still have them, stupid plastic crap.

Sure u can kick the door panels... if u want huge scratches. The plastic scratches so easily it is just stupid. The paint doesnt stand a chance even with normal wear and tear. Oh and in cold weather the panels will shatter with a good impact. In short the amazing polymer side panels bad qualities negate any good.

403Gemini
01-05-2006, 12:44 PM

You're drunk!!

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2004/07/15/203990.1-lg.jpg

Id love this as a next car, this or the sky ;)

Saturn has totally stepped up from what it was. Its good to see GM putting out good looking cars with decent power (AND are standard vs that automatic BS with grand am's and grand prix's)

Originally posted by Primer_Drift
Yeah they still have them, stupid plastic crap.

Sure u can kick the door panels... if u want huge scratches. The plastic scratches so easily it is just stupid. The paint doesnt stand a chance even with normal wear and tear. Oh and in cold weather the panels will shatter with a good impact. In short the amazing polymer side panels bad qualities negate any good.

*Shrugs* my car is 9 years old now and i have no scratches in the paint (short of on the doors, but all cars in mt royal have that from the retards who just throw their doors open)

Bill Cosby
01-07-2006, 03:59 PM
whoa forgot about this thread
.. good comments

and by the a to b part, i dont know what i was thinking, i love my car and often just drive it for the sake of driving, but in most cases people have vehicles to get to work or wherever they need to go, and people dont have saturns to race, they have saturns to a) take advantage of low apr Financing, and or because they are gay...

but ya this saturn was old, early 90s at most, the newer ones arent to bad, that sky is very nice, im glad they are reinventing themselves, anyways keep chattering