PDA

View Full Version : Left my car at a mechanic, now it won't start...

neotheone
01-02-2006, 01:09 PM
Hello all, newbie on these forums and I need some advice please.

Last week my left driver side wiper stopped working, so I took it to Canadian Tire to have them look at it. They wanted almost $300 dollars to fix it, which I thought was CRAZY just to fix a wiper blade. So I said I'd just pay for the analysis ($30) and take it to my mechanic. So I brought it into my mechanic last thursday afternoon. He said he needed parts to fix it (wiper arm and pivot, the same parts that canadian tire needed), but couldn't get it till monday (understandable since it was new years weekend and canadian tire also said they couldn't get the parts till monday). However, to my absolute horror, today he calls me and says my car won't start!

I drove the car there without any problems and he even admits that he drove it into the garage where its been all weekend. Over the last few months I haven't had any problems with while starting (I did replace the starter in the summer). He says he doesn't know exactly what's wrong with it, but he suspects it might be something to do with the timing chain and that he has to open it up to find out what's wrong with it (which I know will be expensive). Earlier in the year I took it in because the engine was running fairly noisy and asked him what he thought might be causing that. He suggested at that time it might be the timing chain and if that ever became a problem it would cost about a $1000 to fix it.

So now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place here. I've been with these guys for over 3 years now and they've never screwed me, they've always been cheaper than speedy, canadian tire, etc, and I've always trusted them no problem. But I can't help but think its INCREDIBLY convenient that I leave my car at his shop over the new years weekend and now all of a sudden its doesn't start.

Any advice? Can the shop be held responsible? I'm kicking my self in the butt right now cause I shouldn't have left it there over the weekend. I really hate this because I've really liked these guys, but I don't know if this is just a bad coincidence or if i'm being screwed.

Thanks for any and all comments.

benm
01-02-2006, 01:37 PM
Neo, it *does* seem convenient that your car just happened to break down while in the shop, however since the mechanic told you that there might be a timing chain problem earlier, it might just be that you were lucky enough to have it break while in the shop vs. on the highway! If it was something electrical, I'd be a bit wary since the guy was working on your electrical system, but timing chain.... sounds like you just gotta bite the bullet!

neotheone
01-02-2006, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the reply Ben, nice pic btw :D

Here's the thing though, he actually said he *thinks* its the timing chain, so he doesn't really know yet, he'd have to open it up and take a look at it. Interesting that you mentioned he was working on the electrical system (didn't think that fixing wiper blades would be an electrical thing), but now I'm wondering if he just screwed something up.

I wouldn't mind biting the bullet on this one if it was like a couple hundred, but if its gonna cost $1000, then I'm in quite a pickle.

69cougar
01-02-2006, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by neotheone
. I've been with these guys for over 3 years now and they've never screwed me, they've always been cheaper than speedy, canadian tire, etc, and I've always trusted them no problem. But I can't help but think its INCREDIBLY convenient that I leave my car at his shop over the new years weekend and now all of a sudden its doesn't start.

I love these kind of comments, so why did you go to CT in the 1st place then?? :dunno: If you need pecie of mind pull the vehicle out of there and get a 2nd opinion on the no start.

AllGoNoShow
01-02-2006, 02:16 PM
mmm he doesnt have to pull anything apart to see if it is the timing chain, there is ways to check wihtout pulling much except the sparkplugs.

I've never heard of a timing chain breaking because of a car sitting there over a weekend. Normally when your driving it it goes, not when its parked and no one is touching it.

neotheone
01-02-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by 69cougar

I love these kind of comments, so why did you go to CT in the 1st place then?? :dunno: If you need pecie of mind pull the vehicle out of there and get a 2nd opinion on the no start.

I find these guys usually to be busy, so whenever I have small things I need to get done I go to canadian tire to get it done quickly. I usually only take significant repairs to them, I didn't think that the wiper issue was a major thing.

neotheone
01-02-2006, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
mmm he doesnt have to pull anything apart to see if it is the timing chain, there is ways to check wihtout pulling much except the sparkplugs.

I've never heard of a timing chain breaking because of a car sitting there over a weekend. Normally when your driving it it goes, not when its parked and no one is touching it.

hmmm, that's for the comment AllGoNoShow.

Das_Amaretto
01-02-2006, 03:13 PM
what kind of car is it? cuz if it has a timing BELT, jea, I can see it needing replacement, but chains usu dont *break*, especially when just parked.

Seems fishy to me, and does it crank at all? cuz your starter should still turn over even though the chain's gone. If there's no sound, it's likely something else, smaller and cheaper

neotheone
01-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Its a 1995 Nissan Sentra. I'm not sure if it cranks at all because I haven't been at the shop yet, I'm going there early tomorrow morning, so I'll see about that. The starter should be fine cause I replaced it summer 2005.

unfocus
01-02-2006, 03:27 PM
could be ur alternator...

fast95pony
01-02-2006, 04:12 PM
A decent mechanic would have a good idea why it doesn't start..

neotheone
01-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by fast95pony
A decent mechanic would have a good idea why it doesn't start..

I totally agree, that's why I'm going to demand that he tell me why it isn't starting when I see him tomorrow morning.

Drsuce
01-02-2006, 05:03 PM
is it a backyard mechanic? or a shop?

if it is a shop, they might be responsible for any damages done to the vehicle when parked. i used to work at CT and the techs used to BAG THE SHIT out of most of the cars... over the 6 months i worked there, they had to replace 3 or 4 motors due to mechanic fuckups :P

did you happen to note the KM's when you handed over the vehicle? if so, check em... it could tell you if a tech has taken your car for a joyride!

i'd check the contract, if the problem is somthing that the mechanic might have caused, dont be afraid to mention the words "lawsuit" it tends to work in your favor :P

neotheone
01-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Its a small shop, a friend recommended them and I've been happy there for over 3 years. I didn't look at the KMs before handing it in and I'm fairly confident the guys didn't take it out for joy ride (its a Nissan Sentra) afterall :) I think what's happened is that he might have screwed something up and is just trying to cover his ass until some of the other mechanics come in tomorrow. I'll have a better feel for the situation once I go check it out tomorrow morning.

Drsuce
01-02-2006, 06:10 PM
as i said, dont be afraid to mention lawsuit... it would be covered by the shops insurance. maybe check the workorder? most shops will note the mileage of the vehicle to save their own ass :)

if they locate the problem and it seems fishy you can always have the vehicle taken to a shop with a beter rep.

as i said, read the contract on the workorder and see what your options are :)

keep us posted!

neotheone
01-02-2006, 06:41 PM
For sure Drsuce, its DEFINITELY an option, I'm no sucker thats for sure. And taking it to another shop is most likely what I'm going to do because I've lost alot faith in this shop. Will post back tomorrow.

ninspeed
01-02-2006, 10:15 PM
yes.. please mention lawsuit... also read the workorder you signed.. the shop is not responisble for anything that happens to the car that is beyond direct control of an employee (ex, backing in to something, forgot a drain plug ect.).

TurboZombie
01-03-2006, 09:38 AM
1995 Sentras had timing belts not timing chains?:dunno:

neotheone
01-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Ok, so I went in this morning and looked at the car. They said the wiper has been fixed and that there was no electrical work, it was a mechanical fix for 2 arms and a pivot. I tried starting the car a few times, all the lights came on in the dashboard as usual. I could hear the turning over, but it just won't start. Did this 3 times.

So they said they had to open up the engine to take a look at it and they wouldn't charge me for that. So I had to jet to work and I told them to call me once they taken a look at it. I got the call and the news isn't good. He said (phrasing ad best I can here) said that he'd have to replace some "top gears and the timing chain". Something about the gears being broken and that he'd also have to replace the timing chain as well. All in all, he said it would cost between $1500-$2000 to fix what he looked at already (and he didn't finish because apparantly there are lower gears he didn't look at). So he said at this point I might as well get a used engine, which he said would run another $1500-$2000 as well.

Before I go on, any comments on the whole "broken gear" issue?

Before I even consider whether to fix and resell the car or just sell parts to a scrapyard, I need to know if there's anyway someone can tell if they've messed up the car on purpose or if the damage is recent and not natural wear and tear. Besides towing it to another mechanics shop, is there a way I can get another consultation/rent another mechanic to let me know if this was deliberate or happened naturally? Is this possible? If it happened naturally, then I'd believe it because it is afterall a 10 year old car and there has been recent history with the engine making noise, but I HAVE to know for sure (if possible) if I've been screwed.

R4Z
01-03-2006, 12:49 PM
Timing chains/belts rarely fail "all of the sudden"

same with cam gears, I've never in my life seen one fail actually.

if timing chains/belts get knocked off/snap your engine turning over will sound ALOT different, it will pretty much sound as there is no resistance at all.

Cam gears broken would make for a pretty nasty rattle.

If you were in Calgary, i'd drop by and take a look myself for you.

Best you can do is ask them if this isn't their fault? The car was in fine working order when you gave it to them.

Perhaps call the Better business beaurau?

- Rasmus

neotheone
01-03-2006, 12:56 PM
Calling the Better Business Bureau is something I've been considering...

PrezeS_PL
01-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by benm
Neo, it *does* seem convenient that your car just happened to break down while in the shop, however since the mechanic told you that there might be a timing chain problem earlier, it might just be that you were lucky enough to have it break while in the shop vs. on the highway! If it was something electrical, I'd be a bit wary since the guy was working on your electrical system, but timing chain.... sounds like you just gotta bite the bullet!

Never seen timig belt/chain breaking on parked car

natejj
01-03-2006, 01:12 PM
You ask me... they should have to fix it for free, whether its their fault or not.

When you leave it in their care, isnt anything that happens to it, good or bad, there responsibility? *shrug*

Zero102
01-03-2006, 05:06 PM
^^^
So, if I brought in my 951, over-due for a timing belt, for an oil change and when they start it up the timing belt breaks, that's their fault and they should fix it for free? Yahoo! Free timing belt change and head replacement.

Sorry, but the shop isn't responsible for the poor maintenance habits of the owner. The damage was not caused by their work, so they are not liable.

I do not know the setup on your car very well, but I've seen similar things happen to other engines. What is the change interval on the timing chain?
I've seen some engines you have to change the timing gears with the chain because they wear as a set. The price does sound a little high, but it could be a lot of work. Like I said, I don't know your exact engine.

tapout
01-03-2006, 05:26 PM
some shops have a sign posting not responsible for loss or damage to cars :dunno: .