PDA

View Full Version : Passed my Class 5 ADVANCED ROAD TEST OMGz

Pages : [1] 2

natejj
01-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Took that stupid GDL 2nd test today, passed it with FLYING COLORS. And by flying colors, i only got 50 points/75! woot.

90 dollar test fee, 5 dollars for gas, 23 for licensce.... what a joke....

118 dollars. Sick.

joyridder
01-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Good for you , that is alot to have to pay.....

HoisinSauce
01-03-2006, 12:29 PM
you have to pay for the gas???

natejj
01-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Well its my car. And thats how much it cost me to drive around for an hour.

Kobe
01-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by natejj

Yah, I think its a joke.. I havn't taken it yet, should off like 6 months ago tho..
I don't see the point of it, maybe when summer rolls around I'll go for it... Anything I should remember when taking the rest? what did you losse points on...

I hate Stop signs, i forget how far infront of them you are suppose to stop :|

Nissanaddict
01-03-2006, 01:33 PM
complete stop before the sign, and then you pull forward.

natejj
01-03-2006, 01:39 PM
Lost 50 points.

Going 70 on crowchild..... i didnt wanna speed

Going through residential... he says i was in the center lane, and didnt lane change over before i did a right turn *shrug*

Going up 17th avenue, bus stops in front of me, so i lane change around it, and back into my lane.... both lane changes were in intersections... *doh*

The only good thing about taking it, is that before i had 0 tolerance with alcohol while driving, now i am have to stay under the legal limit .08. So basically, before, if i had a beer or two on wing night, i would have to wait 2 hours after before i could legally drive... now i can go home right away!

AcuraTl
01-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Lost 50 points.

Going 70 on crowchild..... i didnt wanna speed

Going through residential... he says i was in the center lane, and didnt lane change over before i did a right turn *shrug*

Going up 17th avenue, bus stops in front of me, so i lane change around it, and back into my lane.... both lane changes were in intersections... *doh*

The only good thing about taking it, is that before i had 0 tolerance with alcohol while driving, now i am have to stay under the legal limit .08. So basically, before, if i had a beer or two on wing night, i would have to wait 2 hours after before i could legally drive... now i can go home right away!

thanks for the tips, and good for you on passing! i am thinking about the test also, but i am pretty damn busy to take it! maybe in Summer as Kobe suggested!

WeDgE
01-03-2006, 01:56 PM

I *hate* that "rule" for the test...signalling left after making a right-hand turn...argh...

cman
01-03-2006, 02:07 PM
The only thing I lost points for was for driving down the ruts in the ice/snow on a residential crescent, which are in the center of the road, thus lost points for straddling the center line:zzz:

AllGoNoShow
01-03-2006, 02:09 PM
Its not illegal to change lanes in an intersection though so why would you loose points for it?

Basically its just a longer version of the drivers test then? Shouldn't be too hard.

Aleks
01-03-2006, 02:11 PM
LOL you think 100 some bux is bad? Try getting a license in Europe or in Japan. It's 10 times as expensive. Getting a license in this country is a Joke IMO.

soupey
01-03-2006, 02:14 PM
when i did the test (b4 the whole gdl nonsense) i only lost 10 pts for not stopping b4 getting out of the parking lot, i did try to stop but it was slippery and the exit from the parking lot was downhill, my wheels slipped and i ended up just continuing on, thats all i had wrong tho=)

GoChris
01-03-2006, 02:17 PM

sounds like you turned from the "center" lane then, which in residental isnt too bad but....i find it pretty annoying when people do NOT pull over to turn right cause then I cannot easily go around their slow turning ass.

while not a big deal, its good practice to pull to the right when turning, might save getting rear ended :dunno: but will definately make others (me) happy :D :rofl:

~Leah~
01-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
Its not illegal to change lanes in an intersection though so why would you loose points for it?

Basically its just a longer version of the drivers test then? Shouldn't be too hard.

Unless the driving laws in Alberta are different than Saskatchewn, changing lanes in an intersection is illegal.

Moonracer
01-03-2006, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow

Originally posted by ~Leah~

Unless the driving laws in Alberta are different than Saskatchewn, changing lanes in an intersection is illegal.

No it's not illegal but it's not safe. If it were illegal he would have failed the test.

Slashin_
01-03-2006, 03:19 PM
.....so u take that test after the 2 year probation crap?

calgarys13
01-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Moonracer

No it's not illegal but it's not safe. If it were illegal he would have failed the test.

im pretty sure its illegal to change lanes within 100meters of an intersection

kaput
01-03-2006, 03:52 PM

b_t
01-03-2006, 04:04 PM
ahahaha 50 out of 75 is flying colors? :nut: I only got 5 off for a late right hand turn.

R4Z
01-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by calgarys13

Lol.. so... changing lanes downtown? = ILLEGAL. 16th ave? NEARLY ILLEGAL.

Maybe its more like 10 meters?

- Rasmus

/////AMG
01-03-2006, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
Getting a license in this country is a Joke IMO.

You can say that again, and again, and again!! You're right.
PS. $118 is nothing. But I think the test price has gone up, but it's still nothing compared to a lot of other places.

R4Z
01-03-2006, 04:13 PM
:werd:

Primer_Drift
01-03-2006, 04:19 PM
You can be ticketed for unsafe lane change for changing lanes in an intersection. (Witnessed that very ticket few years back)

I agree with Aleks also.. IMO below 60/75 (80%) should be a fail. GDL my ass :thumbsdow

Congrats on passing though;)

s3v3n
01-03-2006, 05:23 PM
so this is like part II of the road test? so do you now have a full 'normal' license or is there another part after this too?

after the first road test you can drive but not after drinking (at all) and now you can drive as long as youre under the limit, right?

are there other rules too? i thought something about not driving at night and not being allowed to have other people in the car or something?

congrats btw and nice score! :angel:

Chester
01-03-2006, 05:31 PM
haha thats gay that you have to do two tests

Kobe
01-03-2006, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by s3v3n
so this is like part II of the road test? so do you now have a full 'normal' license or is there another part after this too?

after the first road test you can drive but not after drinking (at all) and now you can drive as long as youre under the limit, right?

are there other rules too? i thought something about not driving at night and not being allowed to have other people in the car or something?

congrats btw and nice score! :angel:

he also only had 7 demerits before.. we can still drive at night right now, just Zero tolerance for alcohol...

djayz
01-03-2006, 05:33 PM
nice work...i gotta go for this stupid thing in a couple days havent booked an appointment or anything
plus i dont got the time specially if its a freakin hour long! damn thats long...my last one was like 15 minutes

Black Gts
01-03-2006, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by soupey
when i did the test (b4 the whole gdl nonsense) i only lost 10 pts for not stopping b4 getting out of the parking lot, i did try to stop but it was slippery and the exit from the parking lot was downhill, my wheels slipped and i ended up just continuing on, thats all i had wrong tho=)

I got an automatic fail for that. I yielded as i was leaving. but he was nice and allowed me to continue on and collect two more automatic fails. Speeding around a "suggested" speed sign, and improper left hand turn. Worst thing about it was I had been driving for 6 months prioir with no licsence.

GQBalla
01-04-2006, 12:53 AM
omg the advance test is a hour long??
shit

what a waste of my time!!!

Sorath
01-04-2006, 01:21 AM
what do u have to do exactly to do the test, well better phrased is what consists of the test

HoisinSauce
01-04-2006, 01:26 AM

ahhh, thought they were making you pay for gas in their car

Moonracer
01-04-2006, 02:56 AM

Originally posted by kaput
They taught me when I took it like 5 years ago that it was illegal to change lanes in an intersection. I don't see why it would have changed.

Actually that is right, I had temporary brain damage! lol It is illegal to change lanes in an intersection and he should have failed his road test. The 100 meter thing is not correct :) must be on crack on that one.

BoS_DC2
01-04-2006, 03:03 AM

lane changing in the intersection in bc is illegal also.

Goblin
01-04-2006, 03:10 AM
Another question.. doing this in my car = a standard.

I know that it is illegal in the u.k to coast to a stop, for example a light.

My whole family is from there etc. and you need to pass a manual test to drive a manual car. if you pass an automatic test, you cannot drive a manual.

so, my question is this. In alberta, driving my manual, coming to a stop, do I heel-toe downshit? coast? stay in top gear ?

I know they are picky about not being in full control of your car at all times (ie., in neutral)

Moonracer
01-04-2006, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by Goblin
Another question.. doing this in my car = a standard.

I know that it is illegal in the u.k to coast to a stop, for example a light.

My whole family is from there etc. and you need to pass a manual test to drive a manual car. if you pass an automatic test, you cannot drive a manual.

so, my question is this. In alberta, driving my manual, coming to a stop, do I heel-toe downshit? coast? stay in top gear ?

I know they are picky about not being in full control of your car at all times (ie., in neutral)

You need to be in gear all the time but you don't have to "heel and toe" haha you just need to shift down when coming to a stop and letting out the clutch each time of course.

/////AMG
01-04-2006, 04:18 AM
^^:werd:
ex. If your in third gear and you breaking and you are almost to a stop just throw it in first. I use dto go donw by gear sbut my instrutor said theres no point for that, but I still do it now....

PS. I'm sure if you coasting in any way it will take off marks from your test, probably in any country.

streetarab
01-04-2006, 09:25 AM
you guys have TWO driving tests!? that sucks :rofl:

here in mass you take a writtin test for a permit, which means you can drive with someone else in the car, like a parent, then you take your drivin test and get your actual license with six months probation, not driving late at night and the like, after that your a fully licensed driver, its different for every state but its not enough, i think all driving tests should be longer and more difficult, along with driving tests for old people as discussed before

/////AMG
01-04-2006, 10:02 AM
^^ It used to be like that, a written and a actual driving, and no probation, but they changed it May '03.

~Leah~
01-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Yeah in Sask when I got my lisence (after a written, driven, sign and visual test) you get a 1 year probationary period. The only resistrictions really were that you couldn't be the person guiding someone with a learner's lisence (they're supposed to have a parent or guardian anyway) and there's a zero tolerance alcohol rule. If you break any of these rules, or get any tickets or accidents in that 1 year, it gets extended by another year. Then you just get off probation, you don't have to write anymore tests or anything.

natejj
01-04-2006, 12:44 PM
*shrug* They werent light intersections, but there were crosswalks, and stop signs for people wanting to go across the street opposite to me. So... yah... i wasnt in the middle of the intersection, but passed through at it near the end or beginning, hehe luckily he didnt fail me.

Thanks for the congrats.

He just makes you drive for about 45 minutes, NO Parking is tested during this! Just driving.... yah.

Goblin
01-04-2006, 02:53 PM
I hope it snows so I can show what a rwd german car can do on a traffic light u-turn. Thats advance driving right thurrrr. :D

AllGoNoShow
01-04-2006, 03:01 PM
Yah I'm pretty sure me and u wold fail Elliot :D

Let me know if your going to take yours, then I will follow you and you find a light then we will race for shits and giggles :D

derek123
01-04-2006, 04:27 PM
wish they'd retest Minivan soccer moms and 40+ Suv drivers, in this way...

IncredibleToad
01-04-2006, 04:29 PM
the 'advanced' road test was just another daily drive for me haha it was a real joke no doubt, just a hassle to fork over a bill n some to take those 3 letters off of my license

natejj
01-04-2006, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by IncredibleToad
the 'advanced' road test was just another daily drive for me haha it was a real joke no doubt, just a hassle to fork over a bill n some to take those 3 letters off of my license

If i drove like i did in that test, i would probably SNAP within 1 week. 75 on crowchild.... 45 on 17th..... change lanes, THEN turn in residential....

djayz
01-05-2006, 08:51 PM
yah i highly doubt anybody drives the way they are supposed like in a driving test...instructors dont even do it.
it sucks driving with two hands on the wheel at all times and specially in those positions.

anyways...im due for my test soon...anybody know any good places to have it tested?

natejj
01-05-2006, 08:56 PM
i think they are all generally the same.

Oh yeah dont take hands off wheel at a light. -15 points.

SLR
01-06-2006, 12:58 AM
Took that stupid GDL 2nd test today, passed it with FLYING COLORS. And by flying colors, i only got 50 points/75! woot.

90 dollar test fee, 5 dollars for gas, 23 for licensce.... what a joke....

118 dollars. Sick. Hmm, flying colours? I got no demerits on my drivers test.. but congrats.

djayz
01-06-2006, 06:26 AM
ahh i guess ive developed so many bad habits its going to be hard to follow all these small details.
i can drive fine its just keeping both hands on the wheel and using the mirrors as often as i should

88CRXGUY
01-08-2006, 12:15 PM
I have a question. I got my licencse back in bc under the GLP program. I got my full licesnce when I moved here 4 days before the GLP went into effect here in alberta. Now my question is that on my full licesnce it says that I am a probationary driver. Ive had my full license for almost 3 years, so when does the probation period. Wait wtf am I on probation for its my full license, so is there any restrictions..??? Am I driving illegally lol...Oh crap did I just thread jack...

IncredibleToad
01-10-2006, 06:36 PM
i think they are all generally the same.

Oh yeah dont take hands off wheel at a light. -15 points.

man sounds like u had a nazi for a examiner cuz my dude was so chill we just chatted the whole time and he was really reasonable about it all, livin by the spirit of the law not the word of the law

szw
01-10-2006, 06:41 PM
WTF is this advanced road test???!! Is this an upgrade from the normal class 5?? What powers do I gain?

djayz
01-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by szw
WTF is this advanced road test???!! Is this an upgrade from the normal class 5?? What powers do I gain?

the power to pull cops over

haha if your license doesnt say GDL DRIVER on it dont worry

RATM
07-15-2008, 06:50 PM
i'm rather terrified
so many picky things like both hands on the wheel at all times, etc
my advanced road test is on thursday
how many of you guys have had Nazi examiners??

BlackArcher101
07-15-2008, 07:25 PM
I know RATM bumped this after over 2 years... but I just can't resist.

All these posts and no one mentions something regarding this. Wow, was beyond ever different in '06, I better make up for it.

WTF.... probably one of the dumbest things I've seen. I wonder if he's been charged with an impaired since this post after blowing only a 0.06. Cause you sure can!

al-ti2d
07-15-2008, 07:44 PM
for all of you guys who've done the advanced road test with your own cars... how many of you took the test in a car that had aftermarket catback exhausts and lowered suspension? I want to take the road test with my own car but it has an exhaust and is lowered so i don't know how the driving instructor would feel about the noise and bumpy ride... lol

Supa Dexta
07-15-2008, 08:04 PM
I've always been under the impression it's not legal to change lanes in an intersection as well.

Destinova403
07-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by al-ti2d
for all of you guys who've done the advanced road test with your own cars... how many of you took the test in a car that had aftermarket catback exhausts and lowered suspension? I want to take the road test with my own car but it has an exhaust and is lowered so i don't know how the driving instructor would feel about the noise and bumpy ride... lol

my instructor said that it didnt matter what the car was modified with as long as it had the right working lights and seat belts etc.

be really careful about your shifting... they need to be smooth and you cant rest your hand on your knob... i took my moms accord just incase i made a mistake or something.

other than that... make sure you know where all the buttons in your car are they ask you when they get in... and make sure that you keep your hands on the wheel at all times... that can flunk you.

and yes to the person who posted above me... changing lanes is illegal within 100m of an intersection i believe.

djayz
07-15-2008, 08:25 PM
I did mine on monday after a long time.
Very easy test just follow all the rules and you should have no problems.

I got docked for going 3 over in playground zone. Not shoulder checking, signalling to late, and turning right into the inside lane and switching out if theres a car parked in the right lane(this one made no sense to me when he explained it because i don't remember this situation)

Regardless easy test...waste of time and money. Cost me $105 plus $65 for license renewal. Hah I waited until last minute hoping that this fee would include a new license but nope its just a test.

I took mine through riverbend registries. Nirmal is the road tester. Good guy explains stuff good, falls asleep while driving...or maybe my driving was just so smooth haha.

Good luck to all those taking it.

Supa Dexta
07-15-2008, 08:32 PM
As long as the car is road legal, they can't say anything.

vengie
07-15-2008, 08:34 PM
i took mine about... 6 months ago, super easy! and about a week and a half later i got my class 1 :D

rmk
07-15-2008, 09:40 PM
wtf bump

jsn
07-15-2008, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Moonracer

I took a driving course a few years back ( about 5 years ago) and they told me you can't change lanes in an intersection. I doubt its something you'd get a ticket for, or even fail the drivers test for, but techincally you are not allowed to do so... unless they changed the rules after i took the test 5 years ago

B20EF
07-15-2008, 10:22 PM
I read some guys say their test was an hour :eek:

When I got my license almost nine years ago it was only 10 minutes long

revelations
07-15-2008, 11:45 PM
We have it so easy here... in most of Europe you have to go to SCHOOL to become a driver and the costs arent cheap.

RATM
07-16-2008, 09:29 AM
^ fuck Europe lawl

whats the pass/fail ratio for this test, anyone know?

GQBalla
07-16-2008, 09:41 AM
holy...

you lost 50 points....

the test is almost impossible to fail man - when i took mine finally after 3 years of being able too i lost 10 points.

i was goin 35 in a playground.

you lost a lot of points lol and this is why Calgary has bad drivers. the test is so god damn easy

rc2002
07-16-2008, 09:42 AM
Is it really $90 for a road test now? I think it was only about $50 when I did mine.

*edit* sorry, looks like it's $90 for the test +$23 for the license + however much it costs for the first test/license.

dannie
07-16-2008, 09:55 AM
Changing lanes in an intersection isn't illegal, but a cop can ticket you for "unsafe lane change."

Oh, and the cost of doing the exam is going up mid-Jan. So if anyone is thinking about taking it, do it now.

avishal26
07-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by jsn

I took a driving course a few years back ( about 5 years ago) and they told me you can't change lanes in an intersection. I doubt its something you'd get a ticket for, or even fail the drivers test for, but techincally you are not allowed to do so... unless they changed the rules after i took the test 5 years ago

It is ILLEGAL to change lanes at an intersection or within 50 meters, not 100 like some people have been saying. (I'm almost certain about this... someone read the damn handbook). 100m is almost a city block (which is generally about 150 - 200 metres).

Let's do some simple math.. assuming 200m is the length of a city block, then that means a 100m from two lights in both directions would cover the entire city block. Which would make changing lanes downtown illegal lol

As for the length of the test, mine took only 40 minutes from the moment I left the registry to when I got back. Plus it only cost me 60 bucks or something when I did it and I got my license renewed till 2012 for free lol. I don't remember if I did it in Dec of 07 or Dec 2006. It is almost impossible to fail one of those unless you actually don't know how to drive. The biggest part of this test is telling the instructor which hazards you see in the next 150 or 200 meters (kids running out from behind a parked car, bus stop, potential accidents that could happen at an unsafe intersection... not being able to see too far around the bend up ahead) .. and this is done in a quiet small residential area. I took my test at 130ave Registry (don't know its actual name) near douglasdale.

I believe I lost 5 points for stopping too far BEHIND the white line at the red light lol :bullshit:

But the instructor was so impressed he said I could get a job as an instructor myself :D (he should see how I normally drive lol) I was so tempted to go for it just so I could get to torture a bunch of young kids on their test :clap: And NO.. I didn't just make that up

n1zm0
07-16-2008, 10:13 AM
man sucks to be GDL generation, tnk god i never had to go through that, 2 tests etc, i wouldnt say it makes people better drivers at all, people will always drive how they want.

i passed my test with 10 points knocked off for 'straddling' the left lane on a right corner(took my test in winter) and after the test, found that the left front tire on the altima test car was almost flat! i mentioned it to the instructor and she went on saying how i would still have to take -10 pts cause there was no proof of when the tire had deflated (i did a walk around before i got in the car, tire was fine)

avishal26
07-16-2008, 10:21 AM
^ lol you gave a test with a flat tire?.. and it was the instructor's car :rofl:

I passed my first driver's test with only 5 points off for speeding lol :angel:

And I only missed the march or may 03 rule change date by a few months :banghead:

ryder_23
07-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by avishal26

It is ILLEGAL to change lanes at an intersection or within 50 meters, not 100 like some people have been saying. (I'm almost certain about this... someone read the damn handbook). 100m is almost a city block (which is generally about 150 - 200 metres).

Its not safe, but its not illegal. And according to the highway safety act, you have to be in ur designated lane if ur turning right or left (didnt say much about straight), 15m before hand, unless other situations prevent this (ie: construction, stalled cars, etc..). Anyways, i went through the act, and couldn't find anything on it, so if u wanna give it a go, by all means.

n1zm0
07-16-2008, 10:37 AM
^ lol you gave a test with a flat tire?.. and it was the instructor's car :rofl:

i never GAVE the test, i was taking the test when i was 16 and it was the black altima they used to use for tests only at Willowpark AMA, that altima was the most beat to shit car ever and they used it for the final tests, i'm sure some people here probably took their test in it

avishal26
07-16-2008, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0

i never GAVE the test, i was taking the test when i was 16 and it was the black altima they used to use for tests only at Willowpark AMA, that altima was the most beat to shit car ever and they used it for the final tests, i'm sure some people here probably took their test in it

Sorry, I meant took the test.. not gave. But its funny that they would ignore something so important on their test cars.

max_boost
07-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
LOL you think 100 some bux is bad? Try getting a license in Europe or in Japan. It's 10 times as expensive. Getting a license in this country is a Joke IMO.

Yep! and the drivers don't know how to drive!! but congrats to OP for passing.

avishal26
07-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Dammit.. I couldn't find anything in the hand book about lane changes at an intersection either.

Here's a link if anyone wants to have a go.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType45/Production/basicdrivershandbook08.pdf

I don't know why but I swear I remember seeing it in the handbook before. :dunno:

Senseiz
07-16-2008, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

Those AMA cars are crap. I saw one a few weeks ago with a front that is nearly flat. I shook my head.

For the Advance Road Test, they nab you more on poor driving habits.

When I took it last year, I got docked 75 points, just made it. I did it in Red Deer and the instructor was an asshole because he kept on telling me they like to fail people the first time because of those habits.
I got nabbed for going too slow on a secondary highway - no sign for a speed limit nor did I know I was outside of city limits, so I went 50, but the unwritten limit was 80.
Lane changing too close to the intersection. In Red Deer, they have solid lines 20m before the intersection.

Cant remember the other deductions.

SJW
07-16-2008, 05:54 PM
I haven't done my road test for 19 years. I bet if I took it now i'd fail easily.

avishal26
07-16-2008, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by SJW

I haven't done my road test for 19 years. I bet if I took it now i'd fail easily.

^ lol so would a lot of people I know.

adam c
07-16-2008, 08:14 PM
i remember in driving school back in HS, my instructor took me to a gas station and made me fill up the car since it was important part of driving...

puya.ro
07-28-2008, 03:17 PM
I'm planning on taking this test too. BUT, I drive a RHD 300zx and if I use it for the test, I'm not that sure I'll pass JUST for the fact that I'll ask him/her to tell me if there's a car coming the opposite way when turning left at an intersection. lol

Plus, I have no blind spot since I can either see the car in my mirror or at 90 degrees in reference to my position so I got used to NOT checking the blind spot. Actually I cant even see anything through that rear window anyway lol.

And yes for all of you who like making fun of JDM's, I do have BOV's but I'll turn the music up so he/she cant hear them :P

I got my class 5 GDL with NO points off the driving test although I almost failed the written LOL !

sea of ash
07-28-2008, 07:26 PM

Let's do some simple math.. assuming 200m is the length of a city block, then that means a 100m from two lights in both directions would cover the entire city block. Which would make changing lanes downtown illegal lol

what? even 50 m doesn't make sense. What if you are turning left onto a road in downtown, but once in that road you need to turn right less than 30 m later? You can't change lanes?

RATM
07-29-2008, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by puya.ro
I'm planning on taking this test too. BUT, I drive a RHD 300zx and if I use it for the test, I'm not that sure I'll pass JUST for the fact that I'll ask him/her to tell me if there's a car coming the opposite way when turning left at an intersection. lol

Plus, I have no blind spot since I can either see the car in my mirror or at 90 degrees in reference to my position so I got used to NOT checking the blind spot. Actually I cant even see anything through that rear window anyway lol.

And yes for all of you who like making fun of JDM's, I do have BOV's but I'll turn the music up so he/she cant hear them :P

I got my class 5 GDL with NO points off the driving test although I almost failed the written LOL !

wow... just wow.

magicalpoop
10-19-2012, 06:22 PM
I'm going to bump this since I know Beyond hate's new threads :D
I'm a good driver but I've heard brutal fail stories regarding this exam, can someone elaborate on...

-"Taking off my hand off the wheel was an auto fail"

Were you driving one hand, or were you simply doing hand over or hand turning? I find this to be rediculous unless you are 'driving' with one hand for more than a second. How are we supposed to do turns? I went to AMA and was taught hand over hand.......?

- "During the verbal observation part, I did not spot out an elderly people crossing sign and got an auto fail"
Seems reasonable but at the same time sounds stupid if they're going to auto fail you on this and let you do the following..

-"Changed lanes during intersections"
-The OP didn't fail due to this? Wtf this is so illegal+unsafe and yet people get an auto fail for hand over hand wheel turning? WTF?

-Parking
I heard there is no parking and then I heard there is angled parking, anyone know?

What the hell? How the hell do you change lanes in downtown then...

Will the examiner ask you to do something illegal, and expect you to say no/correct him/know the correct procedure?

If anyone also happens to have their old test paper (advaned road test), if you could scan/email it to me - I'll give you this $25 Shopping channel gift card I got from rogers for your troubles.

Thanks.

Disoblige
10-19-2012, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by magicalpoop

-"Changed lanes during intersections"
-The OP didn't fail due to this? Wtf this is so illegal+unsafe and yet people get an auto fail for hand over hand wheel turning? WTF?

Changing lanes at an intersection is completely legal when done safely. You might ask, "When is it deemed safe?". There are many instances where you can lane change safely at an intersection.

For example, when a car is turning left at a dual turn, and you're one lane to the right going straight. You can lane change at the intersection to get into the left lane going straight. No risk there.

-Parking
I heard there is no parking and then I heard there is angled parking, anyone know?

No parallel parking. Just park into a normal stall in a parking lot.

haggis88
10-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Yep! and the drivers don't know how to drive!!

LOL

i've never seen driving in Europe as bad as some of the maneuvers i've seen in Calgary!

Cos
10-20-2012, 10:28 AM

flipstah
10-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Personally, if an instructor insists i do something illegal, I'd get their name to report them and make them walk back to the Registry.

leftwing
10-20-2012, 11:33 AM
Well I'm scheduled to take my class 5 advanced today @ 3...not sure if this snowfall today will be advantageous or not.

diamondedge
10-20-2012, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by leftwing
Well I'm scheduled to take my class 5 advanced today @ 3...not sure if this snowfall today will be advantageous or not.

Show that you can adapt to the road conditions but not driving like a douche and you will be fine. Complete stops and shoulder check on lane changes and turns.

leftwing
10-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by diamondedge

Show that you can adapt to the road conditions but not driving like a douche and you will be fine. Complete stops and shoulder check on lane changes and turns.

Roads were fine when I took the test...nailed it.

Zhariak
10-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Wow, I feel bad for you GDL guys...

Back in my time, a week before I turned 16, I got my learners, the next week after that I went and took the road test for my full class 5 when I turned 16....

No drivers Ed, no training, etc... Especially no GDL :D hahaha

pf0sh0
01-24-2016, 07:06 PM
Bump from the grave.

Figured I should get my Gdl test..finally haha

Hs anyone recently taken the test at the riverbend location? And is Nirmal still doing road tests there? Last time I took a road test there was over 6 years ago for a motorcycle license and I'm not quite sure if he is still around.

Also, I'm going to use a vehicle with front tint and an exhaust, I don't think this should be an issue as mechanically there are no problems. But has anyone has had issues with this at the riverbend location?

relyt92
01-24-2016, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by pf0sh0
Bump from the grave.

Figured I should get my Gdl test..finally haha

Hs anyone recently taken the test at the riverbend location? And is Nirmal still doing road tests there? Last time I took a road test there was over 6 years ago for a motorcycle license and I'm not quite sure if he is still around.

Also, I'm going to use a vehicle with front tint and an exhaust, I don't think this should be an issue as mechanically there are no problems. But has anyone has had issues with this at the riverbend location? I did mine at the riverbend location 2 years ago, no idea what the guys name was but there weren't any issues. I didn't have tint or exhaust though so I can't say anything on that.

automotivat3d
01-25-2016, 02:11 AM
-"Taking off my hand off the wheel was an auto fail"

Were you driving one hand, or were you simply doing hand over or hand turning? I find this to be rediculous unless you are 'driving' with one hand for more than a second. How are we supposed to do turns? I went to AMA and was taught hand over hand.......?

I took my advance road test long a while ago and drove with one hand and haven't gotten penalized for it. I can turn with one hand too. It's a habit for me since I drive stick, those of you guys who drive stick can vouch for me ....right? lol

k1l4m
01-25-2016, 02:35 AM

k1l4m
01-25-2016, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by automotivat3d

I can turn with one hand too. It's a habit for me since I drive stick, those of you guys who drive stick can vouch for me ....right? lol

Nope, turn/drive with 2 hands more often than not. But there's definitely a lot of people with your style.

schocker
01-25-2016, 09:30 AM
I drive with one hand still with an auto to reminisce the days when I had a manual :(
Should probably take my GDL this year though, I would say 10 years if enough practice. :rofl: