PDA

View Full Version : Hooking up EDTV plasma to an HD signal.

Lee_8
01-03-2006, 12:25 PM
I recently purchased a EDTV plasma for my room to watch movies. I was wondering has anyone on here hooked up an EDTV display to shaw hdtv or bell hdtv? I understand I will not recieve hdtv quality. But will the picture be comparable to 480p dvd quality? Also has anybody hooked up an EDTV display to shaw digital cable if so is the picture significantly better than standard cable. Thanks for your help sorry about the noob question.

rage2
01-03-2006, 01:17 PM
It'll look just like 480p.

Lee_8
01-03-2006, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the quick responce rage2. Do you know if it would be best to just get shaw digital tv or shaw HDTV since I cannot gain full benefits from the HD signal? In other words would the digital cable that shaw provides produce a 480p picture?

Chris Ng
01-03-2006, 07:36 PM
You would a better picture on your tv with the HD signal compared to the SD signal, even if it's limited to 480p ..

Another advantage is the ability to watch most of your programs in the correct aspect ratio on the HD channels.. you don't end up having to live with watching unproportioned or cut off images using the tv's stretch/zoom modes, or taking the chance of screen burn by watching your programs in 4:3 to keep things looking normal..

kerry
01-09-2006, 12:57 AM
Save your money and just get the digital box.
It won't be a $300 difference as my understanding is
that shaw has the Digital box for about $100 and the
HD box for $380.

Some Hd channels and programs are still upconverts
(ie: Simpsons on fox) and therefore are in 3:4 so you'd
have to use the tv's stretch/zoom modes if you don't
want the burn-in from the black bars on the side.

Either way you're going to have to use the zoom modes
because you aren't going to only watch 9 channels =)