PDA

View Full Version : Unix Question (Attn Mattyk especially)

Davetronz
03-03-2003, 03:15 PM
Hey guys, a few of us here at school need to get Unix SunOS to operate through a router to access a school public server which requires secure password sign in.
Is this possible through the router (everyone is having problems, I havent tried yet) or can you only run straight through a direct line.

bol
03-03-2003, 03:28 PM
that question makes about as much sense as why someone would bolt a 2x4 to their trunk.

just because it is a big and scary unix machine doesn't mean that for some reason it's treated differently.

if the router(if it is indeed a router, not a nat box) is blocking ports then of course theres going to be problems.

Davetronz
03-03-2003, 03:47 PM
Well, I dont know about everyone else in my class (who indeed I am sure dont know how to open ports) but I will try it with port 23 opened. I was just confirming it cus I have never tried Unix through a router.....

and hey, I got a 2x4 in my trunk just incase my window shocks go out.... :D

bol
03-03-2003, 03:51 PM
Here's the part where you're going to have to be specific. You're talking about telnet now and not your idea of "UNIX."

Davetronz
03-03-2003, 04:12 PM
Yea we are using QVT-Term Telnet to get in.

legendboy
03-03-2003, 04:15 PM
Your logging into the sun box via telnet? Use ipfwadm to setup firewall rules.

Davetronz
03-03-2003, 04:24 PM
Ahhhh good point legend, I shall try it out! THX

Fluidic
03-03-2003, 04:36 PM
hahahahaha what a blast this thread is! LOL

mrmattyk
03-03-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
Your logging into the sun box via telnet? Use ipfwadm to setup firewall rules.

:werd:

What he said. Also connecting to the unix server can't be done in all locations of SAIT (That's how it was when I was going there). Also I think you can only Dial-in @ Home.

Haha watch all the n00bs struggle with Unix. It's a riot! :rofl:

Davetronz
03-03-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by mrmattyk

:werd:

What he said. Also connecting to the unix server can't be done in all locations of SAIT (That's how it was when I was going there). Also I think you can only Dial-in @ Home.

Haha watch all the n00bs struggle with Unix. It's a riot! :rofl:
Diana says she has confidence in ME being able to sign in from home, and then teaching the lemmings how to do so....
Although as you mentioned, learning DOS and getting the DOS batch files done and learning Excel was quite the riot...... So I am actually kinda interested to see how most of them do on Unix...

legendboy
03-03-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Fluidic Digital
hahahahaha what a blast this thread is! LOL

haha :rofl: ur funny pete:rofl:

speedracer
03-03-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by bol
that question makes about as much sense as why someone would bolt a 2x4 to their trunk.

:confused: :rofl:

I'm not sure what you want to do either.

Davetronz
03-03-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by speedracer

:confused: :rofl:

I'm not sure what you want to do either.
I dunno speedracer.
Some people were helpful here, some somehow turned it into a joke. I dont know everything that there is to know, but I do know a fair bit. You dont see the guy coming on here asking how to post his avatar getting laughed at, but apparently my post is a little bit funny because I am supposed to know everything about Windows, Unix, Dos, Networking, Hardware, Software, Eletronics, Circuitry, Women, and life....

Dave...

Fluidic
03-04-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by TurboDSM
I am supposed to know everything about Windows, Unix, Dos, Networking, Hardware, Software, Eletronics, Circuitry, Women, and life...

Dave...

Don't flatter yourself. :rofl: :tongue: LOL

Melinda
03-04-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Fluidic Digital

Don't flatter yourself. :rofl: :tongue: LOL
He doesn't need to, Dave's proven himself to know a hell of a lot about most of the subjects he has touched on in that last post, if not all of them. He's kicking ass at school (trust me, he does teach the "lemmings" everything) kicking ass with his girlfriend of 2 years, being an UNBELIVEABLY AMAZING friend to me and others (I love you Dave!) and pretty damn stable in the direction of his life and giving advice when needed...

Drop the attitude Peter, it's getting old. Now I believe the man asked a question because as he said, no one's perfect...I suggest getting back on topic so he can get his answer ;)

Melinda

Ben
03-04-2003, 04:16 PM
So how bout those Flames!

mrmattyk
03-04-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Ben
So how bout those Flames!

So how about that electrophotonic radiation eminating from my ass? ;)

bol
03-04-2003, 04:26 PM
Here's a warning Peter. Your posts now contain nothing but flames or useless commentary trying to start an argument.