PDA

View Full Version : New By-law! incase you dont already know.

teggypimp95
01-05-2006, 04:00 PM
http://www.mytelus.com/news/article.do?articleID=2135628

stumbled across this. Keep this in mind next time you are on the highway.

Police
01-05-2006, 04:11 PM
That is fucking BS, this is what slows the fuck out of traffic while the "emergency" people are taking their sweet ass time doing their thing while getting paid pretty big bucks. Might i add its not safe either, people can get rear ended pretty bad on the high way.

for example on 16th between 68th and 52nd there was a towtruck far off on the side towing a car and every dumbass slows down to like 20-30 and this makes the pack far back(merge lane too) to be pretty much dead stopped, stuck there for 15 fucking minutes. I thought maybe a big accident ahead w/e but THIS??? this is deserves a big WTF. :guns:

ryder_23
01-05-2006, 04:11 PM
Really old news, and i dont think its a by law, its under the highway traffic act.

teggypimp95
01-05-2006, 04:13 PM
well its not that old, if u read it does say was descided at the end of october.

kenny
01-05-2006, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Police
That is fucking BS, this is what slows the fuck out of traffic while the "emergency" people are taking their sweet ass time doing their thing while getting paid pretty big bucks. Might i add its not safe either, people can get rear ended pretty bad on the high way.

for example on 16th between 68th and 52nd there was a towtruck far off on the side towing a car and every dumbass slows down to like 20-30 and this makes the pack far back(merge lane too) to be pretty much dead stopped, stuck there for 15 fucking minutes. I thought maybe a big accident ahead w/e but THIS??? this is deserves a big WTF. :guns:

Maybe you'd think differently if your mother or father was the person operating this emergency vehicle after a semi plows into them going 120km/h spewing their body parts all over the road.

Sorry if it sounds graphic, but if slow traffic saves *one* life. Its worth it. If you can't slow down from the speed limit to 50/60km/hr when you see flashing lights up ahead, you shouldn't be driving.

Thaco
01-05-2006, 04:15 PM

If someone you knew was a cop or ems or fireman, you'd support the law... i think its a great idea... people in this profession have enough to worry about already, they dont need to worry about speeding traffic when they get out of thier car or step out between 2 vehicles.

^^^beat me to it... If 2 minutes of your day is not worth saving a life then feel free to speed through and see if 2 minutes of your day is worth $500

teggypimp95
01-05-2006, 04:17 PM
i agree u should not go flying past them, and have extra care when u do see those lights. I belive most of us already do that. or the other half just rubber neck causing more accidents. i think thats a crazy fine tho

v8killah
01-05-2006, 04:17 PM
This new law is to save lives, i can tell you that i have almost been hit many times int he city and on the highway whuile working because of idiots like this.

googe
01-05-2006, 04:21 PM
getting pretty hard to keep respect for the police force when they come out with every BS cash grab they can think of. makes me want to nail that cop @ 120 on the highway and make my $650 ticket worth it.

kidding of course, but they keep jacking up fines claiming to be in the name of safety when we know as well as they do that its their cash cow and theyre just being greedy.

AllGoNoShow
01-05-2006, 04:27 PM
The more BS tickets at $650 they give out to people liek you, the less BS tickets for 10over they have to give out to people like me.

Being a new driver before this law was even in effect I slowed down when I saw lights. Maybe not to 60km/h no but I did slow down. You never know who the hell is goign to open their door and pop out. Hell maybe the guy he pulled over is nuts and is going to try and run from him, therefor hitting you since you would be doing 110 past them, atleast at 60 u coudl slam on the brakes and try to avoid smashing into him, 120 u stand no chance.

People who think its bs, just keep doing it. You will get your ticket and come bitching about it and still have no sympathy. Maybe one day you will learn it would have been wise to slow down to 60

teggypimp95
01-05-2006, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
The more BS tickets at $650 they give out to people liek you, the less BS tickets for 10over they have to give out to people like me.

:werd:

~Leah~
01-05-2006, 04:32 PM
Saskatchewan has had this law for a few years now. Who the fuck cares if it slows traffic down. Shut up and slow down. Not that difficult of a concept really.

max_boost
01-05-2006, 04:33 PM
So is this for single lanes? double lanes? three lanes like Deerfoot? :dunno:

It might be controversial if it's on a three lane highway like Deerfoot, say in the far left shoulder is the emergency vehicles and I'm passing in the far right. :dunno:

kenny
01-05-2006, 04:35 PM
its only in the lane directly beside the emergency vehicle. Only one lane needs to slow down. But thats just what I heard on the news, and we all know how reliable that is! Right Global??

tictactoe2004
01-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Personally i think this is a cash grab and another bullshit ticket.

No one deserves $500+ in fines for a single traffic violation.

Fuck the bastards that put these laws into effect.

tictactoe2004
01-05-2006, 04:38 PM
Maybe some of those moron cops should learn to pull over a little further, god, how many times do you drive down macleod trail or somewhere and you see someone pulled over where the person pulled into a parking lot and the cop leaves his car on macleod.

Pure bullshit.

teggypimp95
01-05-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by kenny
its only in the lane directly beside the emergency vehicle. Only one lane needs to slow down. But thats just what I heard on the news, and we all know how reliable that is! Right Global??

and if your too ignorant to slow down, then move out of the damn lane.

ryder_23
01-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by tictactoe2004

your a fuckin idiot

69cougar
01-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by ~Leah~
Saskatchewan has had this law for a few years now. Who the fuck cares if it slows traffic down. Shut up and slow down. Not that difficult of a concept really.

Couldn't have said it any better!!

rage2
01-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Until EVERYONE knows about this law, it's gonna be fairly dangerous. Problem is that everyone's a rubbernecker, and when cops pull people over, there's always people locking up their brakes cuz they're not paying attention on the road. There's a reason why you rarely see anyone pulled over on deerfoot, because chances are, there'll be an accident there by rubberneckers, so usually the cop follows you off deerfoot to ticket you (from my experiences anyways).

Now, if you slow down to 50km/h on the highway when there's an emergency vehicle on the side of the road, and there's a rubbernecker behind you looking at the flashing lights, barreling down at you from behind with a 50km/h difference in speed because he/she doesn't know about this law...

Well, let's just say it'll suck.

AllGoNoShow
01-05-2006, 04:50 PM
True rage, busy times I guess.

Been pulled over a coupel of times in non-rushhour type instances on Deerfoot. They just coming whipping up behind you and throw the lights on, don't wait till your off deerfoot.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-05-2006, 04:56 PM
I thought that slowing down when paramedics and whatnot are present was just common sense. 60 might seeem a bit low, but if it's going to save the lives of the people that might be someday working to save my life, I'm all for it.

Xtrema
01-05-2006, 05:04 PM
I love high fines. It pisses people off and creates conversation/debate on the topic which in effect increases awareness of the law.

seer_claw
01-05-2006, 05:20 PM

Your an idiot. I have worked as a consultant working on the construction of a bridge with a lane of traffic flowing past. When you are about 1m away from traffic a car going at 70 km/h past you is scary especially when you are working and not paying attention to the traffic. 1m doesn't give a lot of room for mistakes. I also had the privledge of working on a highway project and had a semi go past at 120 km/h give or take. Let me tell you the amount of air that they move is scary, it will easily throw you around and into oncoming traffic it might just prove fatal. I think that its a good law and more people should try walking around near moving traffic.

teggypimp95
01-05-2006, 05:26 PM
I wasent trying to stir shit up by creating this thread. just wanted to let those beyonds who wouldent normally slow down, to better start, becuase your either gonna kill some one, or get a huge ass fine. just looking out for u boys.

TurboMedic
01-05-2006, 05:36 PM

You're a fucktard....I can't think of how many times I've almost been hit....its pretty hard to do your job AND try to stay ready to move to save your own life when there's inbreds like you driving.....I think I speak for all Paramedics, Firefighters and Police (and tow trucks!) that this is one of the best laws out there, now if only people actually applied it...

lastprodigy
01-05-2006, 05:38 PM
but if you hit someone at 60 wont they still die??

rage2
01-05-2006, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by lastprodigy
but if you hit someone at 60 wont they still die??
Yes, but last minute braking from 60 will get you go 10, last minute braking from 100 will get you to 70.

mikestypes
01-05-2006, 06:38 PM
So what is going to be said the first time someone actually slows down to 60 kph on the highway and someone else smashes into them and sends their car into the emergency workers on the roadside? :dunno:

It is rediculous that they can say it is only the one lane that needs to slow down too. How many accidents will there be when people think they can just pull out into the fast lane and miss-judge it?

~Leah~
01-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Yeah I think all lanes should slow down. And to the idiot who said the cops should pull over further?? Do you have a brain???? They pull over closer to the road because of fucktards like you so that if someone isn't paying attention, they'll hit the car instead of them.

I don't even see why people are debating this law. Oh sorry, only the asshole fucktard idiot drivers are. And we wonder why insurance was so much for males under 25 in this province.

natejj
01-05-2006, 07:01 PM
I directed traffic this christmas eve at my church.... cars going by me each side going at least... 20-30 km/h... cant IMAGINE what it would be like going even 60!

:thumbsup: Slow down guys.

TurboMedic
01-06-2006, 12:10 AM
Now, what you also don't realize, is that humans inherently drive toward flashing lights.....you act as if I've never been there.....I can come up with more examples and actual incidents than I'm sure you'd like to talk about directly outlining the need for this. Just because you claim to be able to drive between the lines, doesn't mean anyone else can, and thats the purpose of laws...deal with it and quit trying to be some big tough guy who doesn't need to listen to anyone....

SLR
01-06-2006, 02:00 AM
Sorry.

googe
01-06-2006, 02:15 AM
nah, its not the slowing down i have a problem with (providing its only the adjacent lane - stopping all of deerfoot all day every day as they pull people over would be stupid), its the fine.

as far as im concerned, fine someone $100 for blowing past a car with its sirens on, and youll teach them a lesson. fine them $650, and its just a lame cash grab.

if their goal was reducing red light running they would have invested in those amber 'prepare to stop" flashers instead of red light cameras. its pretty obvious where their priorities lie.

anarchy
01-06-2006, 02:22 AM
So just to clarify, is it just the closest lane to the emergency vehicle? I was under the impression that all the lanes going in the same direction as the emergency vehicle was required to slow down to 60 km/hr.

tictactoe2004
01-06-2006, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by ryder_23

your a fuckin idiot

Val Montgomery was travelling four kilometres under the speed limit New Year's Eve when she was pulled over and given a speeding ticket for $632

you think a fucking ticket is worth $600 when most people dont even know about it?

who is the fucking idiot here?

how is a $600+ ticket to someone fair? for a fucking traffic violation.

make the fucking ticket $50-$100 and give one to everyone that way people get tickets, talk about it and learn... but dont make someone pay that much for one ticket, that is the dumbest thing i've heard in a long long time.

I can promise you that giving out 10 $60 tickets will get a lot more word on the street than a $600 to one person. Most people still dont know and now that this person finds out about a new law that was just passed they're out hundreds of dollars?

tickets are written warnings, and should carry some sort of fine that is fair for the law broken, but that is just plain getting out of hand.

bart
01-06-2006, 02:35 AM
this summer i was on the autobahn, there were an ambulance going about 160 with its lights on, i passed it going about 230... it didnt seem right lol, but was legal :)

tictactoe2004
01-06-2006, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Cpl. Dave Hardy, with the Airdrie RCMP
"the grace period is coming to an end"
"And the tickets are going to be very high."

Originally posted by The province
"The province says it will post signs at the border and in construction zones to remind drivers to slow down."

Originally posted by Val Montgomery
"Val Montgomery was travelling four kilometres under the speed limit New Year's Eve when she was pulled over and given a speeding ticket for $632."

Ok, these dont add up, if this wasnt a cash grab why wouldnt the province warn people with signs before the grace period was about to end? and come on, $632 to a lady going four under the limit? lame.... totally lame, im not against people slowing down for emergency vehicles but this is fucking stupid. :bullshit:

tictactoe2004
01-06-2006, 02:46 AM
Yeah I think all lanes should slow down. And to the idiot who said the cops should pull over further?? Do you have a brain???? They pull over closer to the road because of fucktards like you so that if someone isn't paying attention, they'll hit the car instead of them.

I don't even see why people are debating this law. Oh sorry, only the asshole fucktard idiot drivers are. And we wonder why insurance was so much for males under 25 in this province.

ok, let me go over this with you using baby steps, number one, im not a fucktard.

number two, I mentioned when you see cars pulled over and the people try to let traffic flow by pulling into the next parking lot but the cop leaves his car in traffic on the road.

Maybe the fact that the ticket is $600 is why us "asshole fucktard idiot drivers" are "debating this law" when many people dont even know it exists.... so maybe you should pull your head out of your ass and wipe the shit off your glasses and figure out what the fuck is going on here ok?

pinoyhero
01-06-2006, 07:50 AM
I would have prefered to have a law put in plce that requires drivers being pulled over to drive until they find a proper clearing or road sde where traffic can pass freely without there being danger of anyone being hit. This just makes a mess IMO

Sorath
01-06-2006, 08:13 AM
man if u slow down to 60 on deerfoot, u`d like die

AllGoNoShow
01-06-2006, 08:15 AM
Just the lane next to the officer, which is normally the slow lane anwyays and if your driving slow you should be in that lane so you can slow down even more and I can pas syou on the outside lane where the new law doesnt affect me.

gen2teggy
01-06-2006, 08:20 AM
oh i got a 702.00$$ tecket!
but i was speeding hahah inna construction zone! it was a 70zone...(50 in the construction zone) i thoght i passed the construction zone...but i guess i didnt...the road was clear in front of me...oh and i was doing 100. my stupid fault :banghead:

TurboMedic
01-06-2006, 11:02 AM
I'm not sure how people didn't know this was coming.....I mean it started with a petition by a crossfield firefighter who was hit by a car while on a scene, then it made its way through the steps over the last couple years...there has been more than enough coverage on it, plus driving is a priveledge, not a right. So therefore its your own responsibility to maintain knowlege of the rules of the road. I don't know why there is so much debate here, this is MY LIFE AT RISK, and I will argue this one to the death! I can't believe how inconsiderate some people are with the whole 'uhhh I don't want to slow down because it will cause an accident'...newsflash, if people actually did it, it wouldn't cause one......And you know what, I'm more than happy blocking a lane with my ambulance even when I'm parked infront of a house, because thats my SAFETY ZONE, and my office....If none of you like it, grab a flashlight and some traffic vests and YOU stand there beside the cars with impatient drivers flying by.

dezinr
01-06-2006, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by kenny

Maybe you'd think differently if your mother or father was the person operating this emergency vehicle after a semi plows into them going 120km/h spewing their body parts all over the road.

Sorry if it sounds graphic, but if slow traffic saves *one* life. Its worth it. If you can't slow down from the speed limit to 50/60km/hr when you see flashing lights up ahead, you shouldn't be driving.

And that lady is just mad at the fact that she got caught for her stupidity!! Common sense whether or not their is a new law...slow down when passing people stopped or helping those on the highway!

~Leah~
01-06-2006, 11:30 AM

ok, let me go over this with you using baby steps, number one, im not a fucktard.

number two, I mentioned when you see cars pulled over and the people try to let traffic flow by pulling into the next parking lot but the cop leaves his car in traffic on the road.

Maybe the fact that the ticket is $600 is why us "asshole fucktard idiot drivers" are "debating this law" when many people dont even know it exists.... so maybe you should pull your head out of your ass and wipe the shit off your glasses and figure out what the fuck is going on here ok?

Originally posted by TurboMedic
I'm not sure how people didn't know this was coming.....I mean it started with a petition by a crossfield firefighter who was hit by a car while on a scene, then it made its way through the steps over the last couple years...there has been more than enough coverage on it, plus driving is a priveledge, not a right. So therefore its your own responsibility to maintain knowlege of the rules of the road. I don't know why there is so much debate here, this is MY LIFE AT RISK, and I will argue this one to the death! I can't believe how inconsiderate some people are with the whole 'uhhh I don't want to slow down because it will cause an accident'...newsflash, if people actually did it, it wouldn't cause one......And you know what, I'm more than happy blocking a lane with my ambulance even when I'm parked infront of a house, because thats my SAFETY ZONE, and my office....If none of you like it, grab a flashlight and some traffic vests and YOU stand there beside the cars with impatient drivers flying by.

I am NOT the one who needs to pull my head out of my ass because you are an immature driver who has to complain about paying for making a mistake on the road. Lives are seriously at risk here. As Medic said, driving is a priveledge, not a right, so if you don't know a new driving law, SUCKS TO BE YOU. Shut up and pay the price, it's your own stupidity.

Again, read TurboMedic's post... I rest my case.

kenny
01-06-2006, 11:32 AM
I can promise you that giving out 10 $60 tickets will get a lot more word on the street than a $600 to one person.

Whens the last time you read an article in the paper about 10 people getting jaywalking tickets?

A single $600 ticket will get way more news coverage and debate as a result.

lint
01-06-2006, 11:50 AM

Maybe it's the fact that the ticket is $600 that you're paying attention. If it was only $50, then you'd probably blow right by 10 emergeny workers, almost hitting half of them, before even noticing that you've done anything wrong.

Money talks, whether you're buying, or selling or being fined. Is a $50 ticket really going to slow "asshole fucktard idiot drivers" down enough to make a difference? Doubt it.

The law has been in effect since Oct 31. They've probably been handing out warnings. You didn't know anything about it. Now a lady has been hit with a $600+ ticket. Now you know it exists. What were you saying about 10 $60 tickets vs 1 $600 ticket?

Xtrema
01-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Ok, these dont add up, if this wasnt a cash grab why wouldnt the province warn people with signs before the grace period was about to end? and come on, $632 to a lady going four under the limit? lame.... totally lame, im not against people slowing down for emergency vehicles but this is fucking stupid. :bullshit:

Why is this lame? This got on Herald's frontpage + another column of commentary and probably reader feedback the next few days.

When you include countless radio/tv/print ads, discussion forums, radio talk shows, and that we are into the 3rd month, you have to be pretty ignorant for not knowing this law coming into effect.

High price ticket generate awareness. This incident shows that it work wonders.

It's not a cash grab unless officers starts to turn on strobes for no reason and start ticketing people en mass.

tictactoe2004
01-06-2006, 11:58 AM

I am NOT the one who needs to pull my head out of my ass because you are an immature driver who has to complain about paying for making a mistake on the road. Lives are seriously at risk here. As Medic said, driving is a priveledge, not a right, so if you don't know a new driving law, SUCKS TO BE YOU. Shut up and pay the price, it's your own stupidity.

Again, read TurboMedic's post... I rest my case.

this is retarded. you are calling me an immature driver because i dont agree with ticket pricing and dont believe it is fair? I understand that driving is a privelege and not a right, but when they make new laws like this and say they're going to start putting up signs once the grace period is over? wtf if that makes sense to you than you have issues.

If you think getting a ticket for $600 is ok when thats what some people make every two weeks then wtf? Prices for everything is going up at super fast rates, look at gas, look at home heating costs, how is what happened to that lady fair?

Financially I would have no problems paying for a ticket like that, as much as I wouldnt enjoy it, well, more like hate it, $600 wouldnt stop me from doing anything I normally do in my day to day life so im not complaining for myself... I'm sure there's plenty of good people who make less than $75K a year here and people who would be in serious financial problems with a $600 traffic ticket out of the blue right after christmas with energy bills being the way they are.

I've never had a ticket for over a couple of hundred dollars and dont plan on having one any time soon, but I hope with an attitude like that Leah, that you get a $600 ticket out of the blue one day when you dont even realise your doing anything wrong then we'll see if you "Shut up and pay the price" because driving is a privelege, not a right. How's that sound? How would you feel if people then told you it "SUCKS TO BE YOU"?

As I stated prior to this, I never said I don't agree in the new law, but in my eyes this would be like putting a 13 year old kid who got caught shop lifting a candy bar for his first time in jail for 18 months. The punishment does not fit the crime, there are lots of things that cause dangers on the roads, trucks hauling things that arent strapped down, people talking on their cell phones, people driving with bald all seasons or summer tires on winter roads... people drunk driving..

Being an emergency worker is a dangerous job, people know that when they sign up for it... now im not saying its not a good idea to try to make new rules and laws to help make their job safer, but a ticket with a price tag like that is nothing but a money grab. What do you think they're going to do with that money? Do you think they're going to use it for a marketing plan to let people know about this new law with billboards, tv commercials, radio ads? or how what they are doing is dangerous in the first place? No, it just goes to the government. If they put that money to a good cause I wouldnt be so angry about this, if they bothered putting up signs BEFORE the grace period was over maybe I wouldnt be so angry again?

MONEY GRAB is all this is, if it was soley for the saftey of emergency workers things would be done a lot differently.

If you can't see this, or fail to grasp the idea then you are beyond my help. Calling me names and calling me immature is not going to get you anywhere, maybe you should take a look in the mirror Leah and find out who between then two of us is being immature.

tictactoe2004
01-06-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by lint
If it was only $50, then you'd probably blow right by 10 emergeny workers, almost hitting half of them, before even noticing that you've done anything wrong.

Wow, the maturity of the people here never ceases to amaze me. You think because I dont agree with the price of the ticket that I would "blow right by" emergency workers while "almost hitting half of them"

wow....

tictactoe2004
01-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Why is this lame? This got on Herald's frontpage + another column of commentary and probably reader feedback the next few days.

When you include countless radio/tv/print ads, discussion forums, radio talk shows, and that we are into the 3rd month, you have to be pretty ignorant for not knowing this law coming into effect.

High price ticket generate awareness. This incident shows that it work wonders.

It's not a cash grab unless officers starts to turn on strobes for no reason and start ticketing people en mass.

Why do you think this made the front page? Because of the fact that emergency workers are at risk? or because the ticket pricing is unfair and absurd? One could also pass a law stating that anyone caught jaywalking would be thrown in jail for 6 months, do you think it would make the front page of the paper? Yes... Do you think it would be fair? I doubt it. The fact of the matter is this, I once again will state that I do not disagree with the fact that there should be some sort of saftey messure for the people that put their lives at risk for us everyday, but the problem is the price, They are making examples of people and its not a fair way of doing business.

This is like if you had a boss at work and he said guys, as of Oct 31st I dont want anyone doing this, and everyone said "Ok - thats a good idea, we wont do that anymore" and some guy doesnt get the memo, does it, and gets fired in front of everyone. Will the other workers get the message? Yes. Will they continue doing that? No. Do you think that they will have the same level of respect for that boss? I doubt it. Will people start talking shit about their their now "asshole" boss once a couple of people have been fired? Probably.

steelo
01-06-2006, 12:13 PM
It's not a cash grab. It's called negative reinforcement through financial deterrence. If a person makes only $600 in two weeks then I suppose they'll fucking well think about that next time they want to do something foolish won't they? Yeah. They will.

TurboMedic
01-06-2006, 12:16 PM

If you think getting a ticket for $600 is ok when thats what some people make every two weeks then wtf? Prices for everything is going up at super fast rates, look at gas, look at home heating costs, how is what happened to that lady fair?

You're comparing a ticket with cost of living....2 different things there bud......plus, its not an "incidental cost", this was incurred by poor judgement...now she would think twice about doing it again, so we have success...

I've never had a ticket for over a couple of hundred dollars and dont plan on having one any time soon, but I hope with an attitude like that Leah, that you get a $600 ticket out of the blue one day when you dont even realise your doing anything wrong then we'll see if you "Shut up and pay the price" because driving is a privelege, not a right. How's that sound? How would you feel if people then told you it "SUCKS TO BE YOU"?

She probably won't....

As I stated prior to this, I never said I don't agree in the new law, but in my eyes this would be like putting a 13 year old kid who got caught shop lifting a candy bar for his first time in jail for 18 months. The punishment does not fit the crime, there are lots of things that cause dangers on the roads, trucks hauling things that arent strapped down, people talking on their cell phones, people driving with bald all seasons or summer tires on winter roads... people drunk driving..
I really get a warm fuzzy feeling from the value you put on my life...thank you! If someone was killed, is the ticket justified?? do we need to wait for that?? more than enought of us have been injured, so I think the steep fine is alright.

Being an emergency worker is a dangerous job, people know that when they sign up for it... now im not saying its not a good idea to try to make new rules and laws to help make their job safer, but a ticket with a price tag like that is nothing but a money grab.

Once again, glad to have made an impact on your life.....I didn't become a Paramedic for the "danger", I'm there helping people, and you aren't helping us at all.....I hope in your families time of need none of the pollice/fire/ems workers get hurt and have to help ourselves first....we're no good to patients if we're injured ourselves.

MONEY GRAB is all this is, if it was soley for the saftey of emergency workers things would be done a lot differently.

steep fines are proven imact generators. What other recourse would you prefer? Maybe a suspension? maybe manditory court? How about a nice walmart greeter standing at the entrance to every accident scene kindly waving and reminding people to slow down?

If you can't see this, or fail to grasp the idea then you are beyond my help. Calling me names and calling me immature is not going to get you anywhere, maybe you should take a look in the mirror Leah and find out who between then two of us is being immature.

Dude, its you! you have problems practising rational thought....

steelo
01-06-2006, 12:19 PM
Why even waste time with a tool like that. He obviously thinks he's right and won't be swayed by common sense or logic.

mikestypes
01-06-2006, 12:24 PM
The issue is with the way the fine is derived. It is based on the speed limit when passing the workers, not the speed limit of the road. If the road where an 80 zone, and you passed a worker doing 80, you would get a ticket for only 20 over (which I am positive ALOT of us already do on a regular basis). This particular example is the most extreme in that it was on #1 where the limit is 110. There could not be any worse of a scenario as the difference in speed is greatest here.

Before I heard about this, I would have never considered an unmarked (or marked) police car an emergency vehicle, especially when it has only pulled over someone speeding and is not at an accident scene. Now, after thinking about it a bit, it does make sense that it is.

On another note, anyone with any common sense is not going to stay in the right lane on a two lane highway at highway speed when there is a cop on the shoulder. We all move over to the left lane out of common courtesy to the Officer. Shit, we all do it when anyone is on the shoulder, flashing lights or not.

jer82
01-06-2006, 12:31 PM
The cost of the ticket is based on the speed she was going... because she was going a little under 110 its like a ticket for 110 in a 60 zone because thats what the speed limit is, plus the fine is doubled due to the new law.

I agree with it, she did something wrong and got caught sux to be her... Also the lights have to be on for the fine to be imposed, ghost car or not... how the hell to you miss the lights?

Its not like she was going 130 in 110 zone and pulled over into a rest area and then was given a ticket for failure to stop for a police officer or anything (personal experience)..

sexualbanana
01-06-2006, 01:08 PM

How's it fair to the emergency workers to tell them that the price for their safety on roads is $50? The fact of the matter is, there a certain level of risk inherent with being an emergency worker. Do they accept this? I'm not one of them, but I assume they do otherwise they wouldn't be doing what they do. BUT, there is also an inherent level of risk and responsibility that we, as drivers, accept everytime we get behind the wheel. There's the risk of getting into an accident. There's risk of being caught speeding, running a yellow, etc (assuming you do it), and most importantly, we assume the responsibility to be up-to-date on rules of the road. Ignorance is not a valid argument.

Financially I would have no problems paying for a ticket like that, as much as I wouldnt enjoy it, well, more like hate it, $600 wouldnt stop me from doing anything I normally do in my day to day life so im not complaining for myself...

So what you're saying is the fines should be steeper in order to convince someone like you to slow down when you're passing emergency workers, correct?

If you break a law, you deserve to get ticketed! If it was "out of the blue" as you said it, then it would be worthy of an outcry. The fact of the matter is, the lady broke the law because of her own ignorance. I know many people who know about this law, so it's not like like the police one day decided "Hey, starting today we'll require all vehicles in adjcacent lanes to a pulled over emergency vehicle. Otherwise, it'll be a $500 fine. Yeah, we'll be rolling in dough for that! Better yet, let's not tell anyone. We'llhave even more money then!"

Being an emergency worker is a dangerous job, people know that when they sign up for it... now im not saying its not a good idea to try to make new rules and laws to help make their job safer, but a ticket with a price tag like that is nothing but a money grab. What do you think they're going to do with that money?

The fine is that large because SHE WAS ALMOST DOUBLING THE LIMIT!!!! If we were going 106 on any road with a limit of 60, the fine would be the same.

if they bothered putting up signs BEFORE the grace period was over maybe I wouldnt be so angry again?

You think this isn't in response to the lady pleading ignorance? The gov't very well can't go "Well sucks to be you. Next time pay attention." Especially with the media coverage. Instead they'll say she's still paying the fine, but we'll increase signage to warn others. It's the only PR move they could've made with a positive spin.

Edit: Just some formatting stuff

mikestypes
01-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
The fine is that large because SHE WAS ALMOST DOUBLING THE LIMIT!!!! If we were going 106 on any road with a limit of 60, the fine would be the same.

No, it would be half that as the fines are doubled when passing workers.

Xtrema
01-06-2006, 02:36 PM
This is like if you had a boss at work and he said guys, as of Oct 31st I dont want anyone doing this, and everyone said "Ok - thats a good idea, we wont do that anymore" and some guy doesnt get the memo, does it, and gets fired in front of everyone. Will the other workers get the message? Yes. Will they continue doing that? No. Do you think that they will have the same level of respect for that boss? I doubt it. Will people start talking shit about their their now "asshole" boss once a couple of people have been fired? Probably.

Doesn't matter how you tried to inform masses, there'll always be some that misses it. No grace period long enough will help those people.

Police
01-06-2006, 04:06 PM
WOW looks like my post was censored/removed hahahahaha screw this you all know i'm right, can't handle the damn truth huh? :drama:

googe
01-06-2006, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by steelo
If a person makes only $600 in two weeks then I suppose they'll fucking well think about that next time they want to do something foolish won't they? Yeah. They will.

no, pay attention. obviously the woman didnt know about this law, much like i had no idea it existed until now. i doubt most people replying in this thread even knew about it.

bart
01-06-2006, 06:40 PM
do you have to slow down if they are on the other side of the divider?? because what pisses me off A LOT is there is a cop way on the other side of the divider with his lights flashing, pulled someone over, and on this side (we are going in opposite direction) everyone is slowing down, omg F*CKING GOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boosted_TL
01-06-2006, 06:49 PM
No thats not the case Bart. Thats just Calgary's nosyness, haha. That drives me crazy also. Its only valid when lets say you are driving north bound on the deerfoot parking lot and you come up towards the calf rope bridge just under the train bridge. If there is a marked or unmarked car pulled over on the shoulder with his/her emergency lights on and you are in the slow lane, you need to slow down to 60KM's while passing him/her. Thats all, just a safty precaution that DOES make sense. And I agree with the ticket price also, an impact that big will make an impact.

bart
01-06-2006, 07:53 PM
if cops wanna be safe they shouldn't be pulling people over, thats an even simpler solution.

AllGoNoShow
01-06-2006, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by bart
if cops wanna be safe they shouldn't be pulling people over, thats an even simpler solution.

:rofl:

TurboMedic
01-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Just make sure you guys keep in mind, although there is alot of Police examples here, it applies to all of the following:

Police, EMS, Fire, Towing companies, Construction zones, and I would imagine all Enmax/Shaw/waterworks/etc trucks with flashers activated!

nismodrifter
01-07-2006, 02:33 AM

bahahhahhahahahah :D

403Gemini
01-07-2006, 02:46 AM
do you have to slow down if they are on the other side of the divider?? because what pisses me off A LOT is there is a cop way on the other side of the divider with his lights flashing, pulled someone over, and on this side (we are going in opposite direction) everyone is slowing down, omg F*CKING GOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

if the cops are on the otherside of the divider (assuming the person they pulled over on the oncoming traffic lane stopped in the left lane) then blame the person that pulled over. you're supposed to stop on the far right shoulder of the road, not the fast lane.

also no, i would highly doubt youd hafta slow down

calgarys_finest
01-07-2006, 03:08 AM
anyone off hand know what the how many deaths of emergency workers or construction workers in the last 5 years compaired to the amount of deaths in other traffic offences like running red lights?

my grandfather was killed by a guy who ran a red light so if i get a petition can i have the price of red light violations raised from around 300 to 600 or while were at it why not 1000, people will not run red lights then will they?

the point is why is this specific "crime" so much more important than all the rest? just a food for thought i do agree with the law am wondering my this is so high while others stay the same.

~Leah~
01-07-2006, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by calgarys_finest
anyone off hand know what the how many deaths of emergency workers or construction workers in the last 5 years compaired to the amount of deaths in other traffic offences like running red lights?

my grandfather was killed by a guy who ran a red light so if i get a petition can i have the price of red light violations raised from around 300 to 600 or while were at it why not 1000, people will not run red lights then will they?

the point is why is this specific "crime" so much more important than all the rest? just a food for thought i do agree with the law am wondering my this is so high while others stay the same.
Don't you people understand? The ticket was so high because she was doing almost double the speed limit. Like fack.

Redlyne_mr2
01-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Canadian drivers are some of the shittiest in the world. The problems with laws like this is that it makes it even more dangerous because people here drive too closely, dont know the laws, overreact, underreact etc. I definitely agree with the speed limit enforcement in construction zones but on a long weekend coming down the highway with some unit getting pulled over on the side of the road is just asking for trouble.

bart
01-07-2006, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

if the cops are on the otherside of the divider (assuming the person they pulled over on the oncoming traffic lane stopped in the left lane) then blame the person that pulled over. you're supposed to stop on the far right shoulder of the road, not the fast lane.

also no, i would highly doubt youd hafta slow down

so if i'm going down a 2 or 3 lane road and someone is pulled over on the right, do all lanes have to slow down, or only the closest lane?? if i change lanes (like you're supposed to, no matter what is stopped in the shoulder) then can i keep my current speed?

BlueGoblin
01-07-2006, 02:09 PM
I hope mods don't mind this as its a bit of a repeat from the other on-going thread on this issue. I think its important to post the cold facts on this TSA amendment as there are a bunch of misconceptions and questions that are easily answered:

This is from the 2005/10/31 amended version of the TSA:

115(1) For the purposes of this section, a driver of a vehicle is driving carelessly if that driver drives the vehicle

(a) without due care and attention, or

(b) without reasonable consideration for persons using the highway.

(2) A person shall not do any of the following:

t) subject to subsection (4), drive a vehicle on a highway at a speed greater than 60 kilometres per hour, or the maximum speed limit established or prescribed for that highway under

(i) this Act,

(ii) the Government Property Traffic Act (Canada), or

(iii) the National Parks Act (Canada),

whichever is lower, if the vehicle

(iv) is travelling on the same side of the highway as a stopped emergency vehicle or tow truck, and

(v) is passing the stopped emergency vehicle or tow truck when its flashing lamps are operating.

(3) Notwithstanding subsection (2)(c), the Registrar or the road authority may issue a permit authorizing a race to be held on a highway subject to any terms or conditions that the Registrar or the road authority considers appropriate.

(4) Subsection (2)(t) does not apply if there are 2 or more traffic lanes for traffic moving in the same direction as the vehicle and there is at least one traffic lane between the driver’s vehicle and the stopped emergency vehicle or tow truck.

So in other words, the law only applies to the lane closest to the emergency vehicle.

You can read the whole TSA here if you wish:
http://www.canlii.org/ab/laws/sta/t-6/20051114/whole.html

Or if you want the Alberta Government site which was set up to promote the new amendment:

http://www.saferoads.com/

Hope that helps.

calgarys_finest
01-07-2006, 03:14 PM

Don't you people understand? The ticket was so high because she was doing almost double the speed limit. Like fack.

in a highway situation it will always be double, on normal city roads you wont have to slow down much anyway my point was that there are other traffic violations that need to be addressed why was this one put to the top of the list, was it the fact that a fireman or policeman made the petition?

Police
01-07-2006, 03:42 PM
see how stupid this is...one lane gets congested, everyone is trying to cut out of it cause they are barely moving, slows down the whole damn highway to like 20-30, potential accident everywhere.

00CivicSi
01-07-2006, 04:02 PM
Maybe this is why they have the law (http://thatvideosite.com/view/879.html)
Maybe a repost sorry!

BerserkerCatSplat
01-07-2006, 04:05 PM
see how stupid this is...one lane gets congested, everyone is trying to cut out of it cause they are barely moving, slows down the whole damn highway to like 20-30, potential accident everywhere.

If you tend to get into accidents at 20km/h, it's time to go back to driver training.

Police
01-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

If you tend to get into accidents at 20km/h, it's time to go back to driver training.

UHH do you not realize that people behind you in a highway is still going 100-110km/h??? have you ever been on a highway before?

Like i said i can handle 50-60 and we all should slow down to that..What i can't stand is retards who tend to slow down to like 20 like OMFG.

Goblin
01-07-2006, 04:34 PM

To continue on with the arguement, this is almost 3 months old that the new law was instated.

I talk to a lot of cops, and especially Standish Towing, Big Hill towing etc. and a couple of drivers have been HIT, same with just last week someone was hit again on the highway.

A lot of this stuff does NOT make it into the paper and this new law is GREAT.

A persons life versus a sub 700 hundred dollar ticket? Give me a break.

Side note: This law includes any FLASHING YELLOW/BLUE/RED lights. Cops, Ambulance, Towing, Snow Removal etc.

fast95pony
01-07-2006, 05:36 PM
So we can we still blow by those unmarked photo radar vans at like 140 right if they don't have their hazards on ??

Signed
Raz

TurboMedic
01-07-2006, 06:13 PM
yes...and you'll only get a photo ticket for whatever 140 is over the posted limit

metrosfinest
11-15-2006, 02:57 AM
That is fucking BS, this is what slows the fuck out of traffic while the "emergency" people are taking their sweet ass time doing their thing while getting paid pretty big bucks.:nut:

That is the most foolish thing I have ever seen here ... you will be wishing for slower moveing cars and trucks if you ever blow a tire on the side of Deer foot ....JACK ASS

yellowsnow
11-15-2006, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by metrosfinest
That is fucking BS, this is what slows the fuck out of traffic while the "emergency" people are taking their sweet ass time doing their thing while getting paid pretty big bucks.:nut:

That is the most foolish thing I have ever seen here ... you will be wishing for slower moveing cars and trucks if you ever blow a tire on the side of Deer foot ....JACK ASS

firstly this thread is a year old.. let it die
secondly, who are you even quoting?

jasonrx-7
11-15-2006, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by metrosfinest

Your a fucking tool

I hope that your in a accident and the "emergency" people do take there sweet ass time and you either DIE on the scene or on the way to the hospital.

Mr_ET
11-15-2006, 11:48 AM
Great way to bring this one back to life guys!

IBTL!

l8braker
11-15-2006, 11:56 AM
worst bump evar!

?????
11-15-2006, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by jasonrx-7

Your a fucking tool

I hope that your in a accident and the "emergency" people do take there sweet ass time and you either DIE on the scene or on the way to the hospital.

He bumped it but forgot to quote the first part which was posted by the person who made this thread. If you actually read his post you'll see that both parts contradict.

riceeater
11-19-2006, 05:15 PM
i actually think the real solution lies in how the person being pulled over acts... me, i always pull way the fuck up on the curb, or on the grass, and lots of times i put my signal on but keep going if i know there is a turn off coming up, or a sidestreet i can pull into... cops really really love this! i've gotten off tickets with warnings, simply because the cop apreciated what i was trying to by keeping him safe... even if you dont get off, it's something very polite and thoughtfull, so at least the cop wont be so hard on you, so everyone should try to do that to begin with :thumbsup:

seriously, it's openminded solutions like this that fix problems like these properly, coz honestly, there are soooo many times when i see people stopped, and they dont even drive off on the should... wtf are you still doing on the road???? get the fuck as far away as possible... i seriously never understand how people crash into cars on the side of the road, but i've seen it way too many times on tv to not believe in it... i pull over as far away from the road as i can when i need to stop while on the highway, and i definately stay away from the car if i'm out of it for a longer period of time... so yeah.... if everyone would have pulled off way too the side a lot of accidents wouldnt happen and we probably wouldnt need this law...