PDA

View Full Version : Living in Airdrie? Need opinions....

redevil
01-05-2006, 10:23 PM
Anyone here live in Airdrie?

Reason I ask is that I might be planning to purchase a townhouse in Airdrie and I was looking for opinions about living there. I know that it is practically Calgary, since it is only 10 min from the City limits. Calgary condo/townhouse pricing is getting sooo expensive and living in Airdrie would be the next best alternative.

I thought about the deep south of Calgary but they are still fairly pricey. Any other suggestions where I would be able to find 2-3 bedroom townhouses less then $188,000. I prefer the townhouse to be newly or needs to be built or 10yrs old max.

Give me your opinions!

Thanks

Weapon_R
01-05-2006, 10:37 PM
I would imagine that the costs of traveling to and from Airdrie would be enough incentive not to live there. Even if you work in the NE, it's a pain to drive 15 minutes at 120km/hr every day and it would get pricey.

I wouldn't live there for all the money in the world. It's boring and isolated and you can find a 2 bedroom townhouse here for 200k.

Kirbs17
01-05-2006, 10:38 PM
Airdrie is an alright place to live, depending on how you like to live. There arent a lot of places to go out for a nice dinner (BP's :rolleyes: ) but it is quiet, everyone is fairly laid back, and there isnt a lot of crime. If your a younger person, under 30, who likes going out, doing things with friends, or any sort of night life, your basically forced to go to Calgary. Its about $35-40 to get a cab downtown if you want to go out clubbing, which is always a deteirent (sp?). I liked growing up in Airdrie, was kind of a nice small town feel, but yet Calgary is so close as you mentioned.

redevil
01-05-2006, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I would imagine that the costs of traveling to and from Airdrie would be enough incentive not to live there. Even if you work in the NE, it's a pain to drive 15 minutes at 120km/hr every day and it would get pricey.

I wouldn't live there for all the money in the world. It's boring and isolated and you can find a 2 bedroom townhouse here for 200k.

The drive should not be that big a deal, it is that or fight the traffic when driving from the south side of the city to the north end. :dunno:

Going out to party with friends would mean just crashing at a friends or parents house in the north end.

Kirbs17
01-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by redevil

The drive should not be that big a deal, it is that or fight the traffic when driving from the south side of the city to the north end. :dunno:

Going out to party with friends would mean just crashing at a friends or parents house in the north end.

The drive is actually faster to downtown, from airdrie, then it is from some parts of Calgary. at 7:30 am, it takes me about 25 minutes to get there.

plus Airdrie is growing siginifcantly. Were about to hit 30000 people, it was 18000 when I moved there in 98. Things are changing, and their showing signs of actually changing into a growing city

jdmakkord
01-06-2006, 08:50 AM
I live about 100m outside of airdrie, it takes me no more than 10 minutes to drive to edgemont from here. Seeing as its only 12km or so to Calgary city limits, I can get to downtown faster than anyone in the deep south.

abyss
01-06-2006, 09:20 AM
Living in Airdrie wasn't bad. It will be a faster drive for you 90% of the time, but if there's a problem on Deerfoot you're pretty well screwed. It's faster for me to get to Airdrie from the NE than for me to get to work in the morning. sad. As far as townhomes and such, those ones on the SW corner of Airdrie were looking not too bad, I have no idea on price or anything though.

HRD2PLZ
01-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Airdrie may be your best bet if you don't mind the commute. I checked the MLS system and there is nothing in South Calgary under $195,000 with a minimum of 2 bathrooms built after 1995. The only matches that came up were in Applewood. Pineridge and Taradale.

In Airdrie however, there was a few units that came up in the $150 - $160K range.

jdmakkord
01-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Not to mention the huge development going on in Airdrie with retail and residential. Should help land values quite a bit.

Kirbs17
01-06-2006, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
Not to mention the huge development going on in Airdrie with retail and residential. Should help land values quite a bit.

:werd: In 1998 we bought a house for $210,000, and 2 years ago sold it for $310,000, with minimal renovations. Just like calgary, land values are going up a lot

jdmakkord
01-06-2006, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Kirbs17

:werd: In 1998 we bought a house for $210,000, and 2 years ago sold it for $310,000, with minimal renovations. Just like calgary, land values are going up a lot

In the last few months they've put up what? A huge superstore, walmart, theres a home depot coming, a new canadian tire, boston pizza, blah blah blah.......

For a town that had absolutely nothing 5 years ago, it is sure coming a long way. Funny, my house is honestly 100m from being in Airdrie city limits, so I'm considered rural and in the MD of rockyview.

jer82
01-06-2006, 10:39 AM
I'm living out in Airdrie and love it.. I bought a house out here a little over a year ago now and love it. There right about the commute not being a big deal, and myself I'm not much of a drinker so if its off to the bar, I'm usually the DD... The nice part is most stuff is within walking distance. If your into jogging, biking, walking etc there is a very established set of trails for these activities and no bike cops trying to give you tickets on them. Sometimes there is a lack of stuff to do but where isnt there? with country hills being so close its no problem to make it to a movie that starts in 20 minutes....

Its not for Everybody and there are downsides, all of the non-main roads (residential roads) are 30km/hr.. its like a city of school zones :dunno:

In the end I would reccomend it, but the coice is yours.. any questions feel free to ask...

redevil
01-06-2006, 11:45 AM
I was looking at buying a place in the SW side of Airdrie, where the new development is being planned, by the new WalMart. I know that eventually that area will get better, so as far as resale it should be really good in the next 5 yrs or so.

The next area I was looking at was in Tara Springs in NE Calgary, close to where they are expected to build a new C-Train station. This area should have a good resale too once that is built.:dunno:

silvercivicsir
01-06-2006, 11:59 AM
i was about to buy a town house in Taradale. but after much tought, and the wise nuggings of my realator, she convienced me to build a house in Evanston..

I'm so glad she did.. the house and lot have already jump by 15k and they haven't even broke ground yet..

and I'm getting a 2 car garage instead of a crappy single..

Thought about Airdrie, but thought the commute would be too much. since taking the charter bus downtown was like 8 bucks a each way

JordanLotoski
01-06-2006, 12:28 PM
I live about 100m outside of airdrie, it takes me no more than 10 minutes to drive to edgemont from here. Seeing as its only 12km or so to Calgary city limits, I can get to downtown faster than anyone in the deep south.

there is no way u can get downtown faster then someone in the deep south, unless u mean lethbridge..took me 13 minutes today, i did the drive about 45 minutes ago.

Kirbs17
01-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Takes me 20 minutes to get to bankers hall from the north end of airdrie, at 7:30-8:00 in the morning, thats not all that bad really

jdmakkord
01-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT

there is no way u can get downtown faster then someone in the deep south, unless u mean lethbridge..took me 13 minutes today, i did the drive about 45 minutes ago.

It takes me barely over 5 minutes to hit the airport from my driveway, and traffic flows great down barlow, to memorial.

HRD2PLZ
01-06-2006, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT

Maybe 13 minutes via Deerfoot. If your taking MacLeod its about 20 - 30 minutes depending on traffic :thumbsdow

Rollin'
01-06-2006, 02:05 PM
Are you serious, you think 15 mins on the highway is bad? Sounds like a dream to me...

Back at home in the east, i know several people who drove 1.5 hours to work in the morning, then the same on the way home.

Originally posted by Weapon_R

redevil
01-06-2006, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by silvercivicsir
i was about to buy a town house in Taradale. but after much tought, and the wise nuggings of my realator, she convienced me to build a house in Evanston..

I'm so glad she did.. the house and lot have already jump by 15k and they haven't even broke ground yet..

and I'm getting a 2 car garage instead of a crappy single..

Thought about Airdrie, but thought the commute would be too much. since taking the charter bus downtown was like 8 bucks a each way

What's wrong with living in Taradale? I know it is the NE. It is still a fairly new area, and the C-train will be going there in the near future.

sputnik
01-06-2006, 03:37 PM

17 minutes from Mckenzie Towne to Sunlife Plaza (4th Ave and Centre) at 7am.

silvercivicsir
01-06-2006, 11:27 PM
Call me a snob.. but I would rather not live in the Ne. aftering being taken down by 5 cop cars on the suspicion that I stole my own car, I'd rather not live in that area..

Dude they even had to balls to call my parents to ask if i stole my own Car.... Even tho everything is in my name, insurance, registration..

And my realtor told me, now matter where i buy prices for my house will always be higher when your in the NW or SW, and the nicer parts of the SE no forest lawn, applewood

What's wrong with living in Taradale? I know it is the NE. It is still a fairly new area, and the C-train will be going there in the near future.

CRXguy
01-07-2006, 02:24 AM
What's wrong with Applewood? :rolleyes:

Neons4life
01-07-2006, 12:04 PM
Anyone here live in Airdrie?

Reason I ask is that I might be planning to purchase a townhouse in Airdrie and I was looking for opinions about living there. I know that it is practically Calgary, since it is only 10 min from the City limits. Calgary condo/townhouse pricing is getting sooo expensive and living in Airdrie would be the next best alternative.

I thought about the deep south of Calgary but they are still fairly pricey. Any other suggestions where I would be able to find 2-3 bedroom townhouses less then $188,000. I prefer the townhouse to be newly or needs to be built or 10yrs old max.

Give me your opinions!

Thanks

Well you could always buy my bungalow townehome in Hidden Valley for under 190,000. 2 bedroom, 2 full bath, 1200 main SQ feet, 1200 in basement. single car garage, gas fireplace and only 7 years old.

redevil
01-07-2006, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Neons4life

Well you could always buy my bungalow townehome in Hidden Valley for under 190,000. 2 bedroom, 2 full bath, 1200 main SQ feet, 1200 in basement. single car garage, gas fireplace and only 7 years old.

Do you have this listed yet on mls.com?

Neons4life
01-08-2006, 10:50 AM
Nope not yet, I would really like to sell, but when I do I will just post it on Welist instead of using an agent. That way I can pocket more while giving the buyer a better than market price.