PDA

View Full Version : Deck has no radio...

Weapon_R
01-07-2006, 03:57 AM
I helped my friend install a head unit in his car. Sony XPLOD deck. Everything went well, but we couldnt seem to get any signal on his radio. At first, all we'd hear is static.

I tried reattaching the antenna, but now we dont even hear any static. It's just dead silence. The cd player works fine, speakers are all working, etc. The only problem is that there is no radio.

Any ideas?

RX-7_TWINTURBO
01-07-2006, 04:09 AM
it should at least get static...possibly defective ?

FiveFreshFish
01-07-2006, 04:18 AM
Same problem with both AM and FM?

Weapon_R
01-07-2006, 10:08 AM
yes same with both fm and am

AllGoNoShow
01-07-2006, 11:34 AM
Something would be defective with the deck is my guess. Even if the antenna isn't hooked up you should get some sort of shitty reception on AM or FM. If it is hooked up and you sitl don't get shit, then its broken.

xin
01-08-2006, 02:22 AM
Antenna ground maybe? But like AllGoNoShow said, it should still have sound.

'93 SR-V
01-09-2006, 01:50 PM
I have learned (the hard way) that sony car audio is absolute garbage! That said, is it a brand new deck? Does it lock on stations when you change them?

xin
01-09-2006, 04:49 PM
Sony Xplod is junk, the Mobile ES line is pretty good but I think they discontiued it though.

Weapon_R
01-09-2006, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by '93 SR-V
I have learned (the hard way) that sony car audio is absolute garbage! That said, is it a brand new deck? Does it lock on stations when you change them?

It was brand new, it may be junk but even a sony should get radio. It does not lock onto anything. I can manually lock onto a station but nothing plays, nothing sounds, it's like the deck is turned off. CD and Auxillery work fine, however..

tc3
01-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Try the reset button on the front if there is one.
That hepls on some decks.

Weapon_R
01-09-2006, 05:03 PM
Tried, no luck. I think we're just going to remove it and exchange it with another unit. All of this hassle isn't worth the 10 minute drive to change it for a new one.

soupey
01-09-2006, 07:10 PM
make sure the antenna plug is pushed in, it does have a pretty tight fit....also, might have something to do with your antenna power wire not being connected (if u have a power antenna)

'93 SR-V
01-10-2006, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by soupey
make sure the antenna plug is pushed in, it does have a pretty tight fit....also, might have something to do with your antenna power wire not being connected (if u have a power antenna)

Yes, but even then it should get some static no? It's been a while since I've had to mess with one. If it's new, I'd just see if you can exchange it.... Have the wiring ready (sony harness wired into the car specific harness, and just grab another one out of the box and plug it in... That will let you know if it's a problem with the deck or if further trouble shooting is needed!

Weapon_R
01-10-2006, 09:10 PM
That's what we will do, but the assholes at A&B want us to unhook the harness and bring it all in for an exchange. Seems pretty ridiculous to me so he's just gonna go and ask the manager to exchange the deck and nothing else.

soupey
01-10-2006, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by '93 SR-V

Yes, but even then it should get some static no? It's been a while since I've had to mess with one. If it's new, I'd just see if you can exchange it.... Have the wiring ready (sony harness wired into the car specific harness, and just grab another one out of the box and plug it in... That will let you know if it's a problem with the deck or if further trouble shooting is needed!

static depends on the deck, some decks wont give any sound if it cant find a strong enough signal...altho your right, generally u'll have static...but its always a possibility and definately something he should look into b4 giving up on it.