PDA

View Full Version : Which Bank do you use?

2.2vtec
01-07-2006, 04:12 PM
Just looking to see what bank everyone uses and why? I'm looking for a lower interest visa (one perhaps with points) and low fee chequing account. I'm currently with TD and I think it's a rip off,

So list what bank you use and why!

justincalgary
01-07-2006, 04:18 PM
I opened one up with Scotia a couple of months ago and got a new Visa with them...my interest rate for the next 6 months is 2.9% and then after that 9.9%. Pretty damn good in my eyes, and my personal banker rocks.

Grip172
01-07-2006, 05:04 PM
royal bank...
no problems so far and i've been using them since i was like 12

natejj
01-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Royal bank since i was 5 years old!

handsomebassman
01-07-2006, 05:09 PM
I was on royal bank since i was a kid, and then switched about 6 years ago or so. Worse decision. Shitty ( i mean REALLY shitty) Customer Service, a retardedly low % rate for my savings to build on, and im just generally dissatisfied. Back to royal bank i go.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-07-2006, 05:13 PM
RBC since before I knew what money was. :rofl:

I love that I can deposit cheques at an RBC ATM and withdraw that money instantly - no holds, nothing.

I also use ING Direct for long-term savings. nice, becuase I can swap money back and forth between the two accounts with no fees.

Team_Mclaren
01-07-2006, 05:13 PM
Been with BMO for a while... dont know why, dont wanna change, their tellers are really bad tho, sometimes you'll have to wait up to 20 mins for any kind of service

dj_rice
01-07-2006, 05:14 PM
I use PC Financial...they are CIBC/Superstore banking....all your transactions are free!!!

Ed the SOHC
01-07-2006, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
I use PC Financial...they are CIBC/Superstore banking....all your transactions are free!!!

I bank with PC too and I like it. Virtually no fees. I have their MC but interest rate is still the same as others 17-18% per annum. I prefer LOC attached to credit cards like BMO has. Interest is at close to prime.

pr0
01-07-2006, 05:26 PM
I have CIBC, BMO and TD. :nut:

JAYMEZ
01-07-2006, 05:28 PM
Royal Bank since i was 5 as well.

GQBalla
01-07-2006, 05:31 PM
td bank since i was a kid.

in the beginning of high school i did open up a cibc account wasn't bad but now i just use td

skandalouz_08
01-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Yeah I was with TD since a little kid but about 2 years ago got fed up with them and switched to CIBC, way better service and rates. And I agree with Berserker about ING, I'm with them too, I'm earning the same interest on my savings account at ING as I am with my GIC at CIBC...go figure

al-ti2d
01-07-2006, 05:34 PM
I'm with CIBC...I guess it must be a really shietty bank though, since I have only seen one other person post saying that they're with them...but they also had accounts with multiple other banks as well :dunno:

AllGoNoShow
01-07-2006, 05:39 PM
CIBC since I was a kid and they are fucking me over!

Switching to TD or RBC, not entirely sure yet but heard good things about both.

pr0
01-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
CIBC since I was a kid and they are fucking me over!

Switching to TD or RBC, not entirely sure yet but heard good things about both.

CIBC is junk. I leave peanuts in there now just because I use it to pay for my VISA.

AllGoNoShow
01-07-2006, 05:48 PM
bah I aint leaving shit in there once I get another account. Fucking bitches take money out for no reason then when money is there they dont let the prepaid authorizations for insurance go through, now im fucked for insurance too. Fucking pissed right off.

szw
01-07-2006, 05:53 PM
PC, no fees. I've never needed a bank teller.

Mar
01-07-2006, 06:16 PM
Another :thumbsup: from me for Royal Bank. I opened an account with TD and had them both going for a while because I was trying to switch everything over to TD and start using them. But it just sucked so bad that I cancelled it and stayed with RBC. I even turned down the IPOD they were giving away. Decided to use RBC for my loans but got TD (Meloche-Monnex) for my car insurance.

AllGoNoShow
01-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Mar how did you setup the Insurance? I heard one of my buddies just called it and they set him up on the spot.

DelSoln
01-07-2006, 06:19 PM
I'm with RBC as well. No complaints thus far.

Mar
01-07-2006, 06:29 PM
Mar how did you setup the Insurance? I heard one of my buddies just called it and they set him up on the spot.

They were amazing. I called them up, they gave me a quote, I accepted it, they emailed me my insurance card, I printed it off, went to pick up my car. I had insurance before I was even off the phone, and over the next few days I faxed them stuff like my driver's abstract and various things from my old insurance company and then I got my actual insurance cards in the mail. Great service, cheap rates.

AllGoNoShow
01-07-2006, 06:30 PM
Shitt!!!

Is it a 24/7 service or business hour only service? I know some of the banks just 1800 is 24/7 service, hopefully can setup insurance like that as well.

EDIT: Got the # by any chance as well?

lastprodigy
01-07-2006, 06:34 PM
bmo ... tried PC for a while but its absolutely brutal...you get waht you pay for!

kaput
01-07-2006, 07:03 PM

Gondi Stylez
01-07-2006, 07:08 PM
BMO, PC/CIBC, ATB :D

tapout
01-07-2006, 07:09 PM
i use td they open late comes in handy

l8braker
01-07-2006, 07:16 PM
I've used TD since I was 13 or so. No real complaints, other than I am really selective with which branches I use. The one close to me (90th Ave. Glenmore Landing) is the worst branch in the entire country and that's saying alot.

szw
01-07-2006, 07:51 PM
What do you guys do at the bank?

ga16i
01-07-2006, 08:21 PM
RBC and TD. I love the Royal Bank Classic II Visa card, while I was in UC, I used it to pay all my tuition and books. Ended up with enough gift certificates to get a pair of sennheiser 477 headphones, and Game Boy Advance SP just for paying tuition that I had to pay anyway. TD's hours are much nicer, they open saturdays and have long hours too. Royal Bank only has select branches that open late on a Thursday of all days and few are open on saturdays.

toyboy88
01-07-2006, 08:30 PM
TD! :D

JordanEG6
01-07-2006, 09:02 PM
I'm with TD, i have a visa at 18%, its pretty high. if you have a full time job that you've been working for, for over 6 months, its best to get a line of credit. IMO, its easier to pay off debt. I used my LOC to pay off my Visa so I only have to pay off my LOC which is only 6% as opposed to the 18% on my Visa. Makes a huge difference. try it out. :thumbsup:

schurchill39
01-07-2006, 09:12 PM
Wow only one other person uses my bank.

ATB financial, have since I was like 4. I can now walk into any branch in the city and they know me instanly, they also know my dad and mom pretty good to. To bad I rarely go in the bank. If I have a check I can deposit it in the machine and take the cash out right away, the only time I need to go in the bank is when I am depositing or withdrawing over a grand

Mar
01-07-2006, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by schurchill39
Wow only one other person uses my bank.

ATB financial, have since I was like 4. I can now walk into any branch in the city and they know me instanly, they also know my dad and mom pretty good to. To bad I rarely go in the bank. If I have a check I can deposit it in the machine and take the cash out right away, the only time I need to go in the bank is when I am depositing or withdrawing over a grand

Use them for my car loan.

Mar
01-07-2006, 09:51 PM
Shitt!!!

Is it a 24/7 service or business hour only service? I know some of the banks just 1800 is 24/7 service, hopefully can setup insurance like that as well.

EDIT: Got the # by any chance as well?

As far as I know they're only open until 8pm but they'd have to have some sort of emergency number for after hours.

www.meloche-monnex.com

CALGARY
One Palliser Square
125 Ninth Avenue SE
Suite 1200
Calgary, Alberta T2G 0P6

Local phone number:
403 269 1112
Fax Client Service:
403 298 2501
Fax Claim Service:
403 298 2585

The only bad thing about them is it's group insurance so you have to be part of some group to get in. I'm alumni of Acadia University so that worked for me. There's a list on their website, see if you qualify.

FiveFreshFish
01-07-2006, 09:53 PM
TD Canada Trust for my everyday banking. I use their online banking almost exclusively.

RBC account for overseas transactions.

CIBC for Aerogold Visa.

theken
01-07-2006, 09:57 PM
scotia bank

FatboyTheHungry
01-07-2006, 10:38 PM
I use Bank of America cuz they kiss my ass. I use TD for my Canadian banking cuz I have a mortgage with them.

gpomp
01-07-2006, 10:43 PM
TD

Sharpie
01-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Scotiabank

CRXguy
01-08-2006, 12:43 AM
PC for everyday use.
PC Mastercard for grocery.
ING Direct for savings.

D'z Nutz
01-08-2006, 12:47 AM
I've also been with RBC since I was like 8 or 9. They've never given me a reason to switch, so with them I will stay.

R!zz0
01-08-2006, 02:17 AM
Royal bank for me...You want my account # ?

Clever
01-08-2006, 02:24 AM
was with TD for about 7 years and switched to ScotiaBank. So far so good.

Ajay
01-08-2006, 04:30 AM
CIBC for a long time now. Used to be with BMO but after I had to get student loans I switched to CIBC cause they had better student rates.

I like CIBC....everytime I need something or need to make changes with my banker they're more than accomodating. Guess I'm one of the few that like CIBC!

max_boost
01-08-2006, 04:42 AM
PC Financial owns for everyday banking. I have immediate access of up to $5k of unverified funds which is perfect if I needed to do transfers/bill payments/pre-authorized withdrawals on a short notice etc. and $0 fees!!!!!!!!!

I also use RBC because it's convenient (in the mall where I work) and you should always have one bank account that's from a real bank.

redline_13000
01-08-2006, 06:56 AM
Royal bank and TD, TD rips me off on the fee's though, they have given me money back a few times.

canadian_hustla
01-08-2006, 11:46 AM
TD because I work there

:dunno:

elmo909
01-11-2006, 10:14 PM
TD. I just phoned them today for some account details, and they offered to up my credit card limit by $7000 and gave me a $900 overdraft... Not bad for service :eek:

Ed the SOHC
01-11-2006, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by elmo909
TD. I just phoned them today for some account details, and they offered to up my credit card limit by $7000 and gave me a $900 overdraft... Not bad for service :eek:

Your definition of "service" is different from mine... I think they were just trying to meet their quota by selling you bad debt.

HRD2PLZ
01-12-2006, 09:15 AM
CIBC and TD. I have also banked with Royal and Scotia. I can't say I have any complaints about either CIBC or TD. I get treated well :thumbsup:

89coupe
01-12-2006, 09:22 AM
TD
RBC
BMO
UBS
Fastrak Systems Inc.

joyridder
01-12-2006, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by theken
scotia bank

best bank, had them since I was 17

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Vagabond142
01-12-2006, 09:32 AM
PC Financial for centralized banking services (ie chequing, savings, insurance payments, etc)

TD Waterhouse for stock/bond investments and long-term medium-risk mutuals.

TD Financial for getting cheques cashed or depositing to my TD Waterhosue account (hey, they're open 8-8, which frakkin RULES)

abyss
01-12-2006, 09:42 AM
I had a TD account from 5 years old till 18, when I was about to turn 18 they sent me a letter saying they were going to start charging me $25/month in "service fees" what a crock of shit. Opened a PC account and haven't looked back since. The only thing that bothers me is part of my cheque gets held for 5 days. oh well, small price to pay for no fees banking.

403Gemini
01-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by abyss
I had a TD account from 5 years old till 18, when I was about to turn 18 they sent me a letter saying they were going to start charging me $25/month in "service fees" what a crock of shit. Opened a PC account and haven't looked back since. The only thing that bothers me is part of my cheque gets held for 5 days. oh well, small price to pay for no fees banking.

you know you can get the account changed in like 30 seconds to one that will only cost you like $6 a month ;)

Also yea if you deposit through the green machine, chances are it will get held. talk to a teller, see if they can get the hold raised or even removed.

Canadian hustla, which one do you work at? :D i work at shawnessy branch

HRD2PLZ
01-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

you know you can get the account changed in like 30 seconds to one that will only cost you like $6 a month ;)

Or, if you know your banker... you can get NO fee's :D

Ben
01-12-2006, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by justincalgary
I opened one up with Scotia a couple of months ago and got a new Visa with them...my interest rate for the next 6 months is 2.9% and then after that 9.9%. Pretty damn good in my eyes, and my personal banker rocks.

Word.

I have had the same acct w/ Scotia Bank since 1989, have really enjoyed their service. The same teller I started with back then is still there (they closed the old branch and built a new one in McKenzie Towne so it's good for me) and they treat me really well. My personal banker is fantastic, her husband is in the same line of work as I am and we get along well, drive the same make of vehicle and she does whatever she can to make me save money and get good rates. Opened up another Visa with them in the fall, but it's not that great of rate because it's a rewards card with an annual fee, but w/e it's still good because I never carry a balance so interest rate is not important.

She really seems to care about her clients which is good, got invested into some RSP Mutual funds and already seen a great return on them and it's only been 4months. I have 6 accts with them now, and dont plan on going anywhere else.

I've dealt with TD, Royal Bank and CIBC, and havent found as good of service. May not always have the best rates, but due to my long time loyalty, they look after me quite well, and I know when I go for a mortgage, they'll helm me out a lot. My folks are also with them, and have been for the same amount of time, with much larger dealing with them, and so this helps as well.

I like Scotia, dont have the most branches or the best hours, but I'm an electronic guy anyhow.

abyss
01-12-2006, 10:16 AM

Also yea if you deposit through the green machine, chances are it will get held. talk to a teller, see if they can get the hold raised or even removed.

It was the fact that I would've had to call and do that just pissed me off that's all, especially since I'd been banking there for oh umm.....13 years. No point in even sending those letters IMO cause they just make people mad. Even $6/month is too much fees to pay IMO.

I have to deposit through the bank machine, PC has no tellers and CIBC won't let you do it there either ;). I did get the limit raised, but to get it raised again my cheques have to be over a certain amount and they are like $20 under that amount every time. So I just deposit my cheque into Minh's account and then take some and put it in my account, no holds that way.

guessboi
01-12-2006, 10:17 AM
RBC for me as well since I was like 8.
also ING for RSP and Savings.
I fill my gas at Esso so the RBC machine inside is a bonus for me. :D

Xtrema
01-12-2006, 11:11 AM
RBC - no fees for anything, unlimited ATM transactions, best bank ever

TD/TD Waterhouse - just some Mutual Fund/Stock, best performer of the bunch

CIBC - worse bank evar

PC Mastercard - 1% back toward groceries, no waiting period but @ 18%. Doesn't matter to me since bill are paid off every month. They do offer 5% on debt transfer if you need to consolidate your credit card debts.

Question to PC Banking users? Can your client card retrieve money from ATM outside of Canada? I just noticed my friend's card only has the Interac symbol in the back, no Plus or Cirrus.

Ben
01-13-2006, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

CIBC - worse bank evar

AMEN!

lastprodigy
01-13-2006, 01:29 AM

check pm

nonlinear
01-13-2006, 06:54 PM
ATB and it sucks ass... the only real benefit is that you can walk right up to the ATM at the university and withdraw ca$h while people have to wait like 10 minutes in line for the other onse :nut:

samo147
01-13-2006, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by abyss

yup same with with me. was with td with a youth account and when i turned 18 moved to pc financial

samo147
01-13-2006, 07:31 PM
RBC - no fees for anything, unlimited ATM transactions, best bank ever

TD/TD Waterhouse - just some Mutual Fund/Stock, best performer of the bunch

CIBC - worse bank evar

PC Mastercard - 1% back toward groceries, no waiting period but @ 18%. Doesn't matter to me since bill are paid off every month. They do offer 5% on debt transfer if you need to consolidate your credit card debts.

Question to PC Banking users? Can your client card retrieve money from ATM outside of Canada? I just noticed my friend's card only has the Interac symbol in the back, no Plus or Cirrus.

nope no plus or cirrus cant use it outside of canada
but i just use my pc credit card for that anyways. i guess it would be more convienent to be able to withdraw cash from a foreign currency. but i do know u can withdraw us dollars from some cibc bank machines.

stevieo
01-13-2006, 09:20 PM
i use TD

only step foot in the bank twice a month to deposit my pay cheques (something is up with our direct deposit) and i use online banking to pay my visa/mastercard/bills

dino_martini
01-13-2006, 10:26 PM
CIBC and BMO. :)

the_saint
01-14-2006, 12:22 PM
CIBC :)

No fees.
Nada :)
Ziltch
Zippo :)

Great service.
Great rates.
No fees on anything.
Better than prime on line of credit.

szw
01-14-2006, 01:08 PM

Its worked for me in the US.

civicrider
01-14-2006, 01:14 PM
TD i dont have any fee's
used to be with RBC and i got smacked with fee's and the people at TD in crowfoot are awsome

Disoblige
04-13-2018, 11:30 AM
Just a bump ;)

Man, I've been kind of looking around at banks because I feel kind of jaded being with the same one for life.

Big banks, let's compare RBC with TD as as example. Those with RBC, why the heck do you stay with them? It seems like for people with the minimum cash (ex: $5k), you can get an all inclusive account where your credit card fees, account fees are all waived. The same thing at RBC costs $20 even with a multi-product rebate.

realazy
04-13-2018, 11:38 AM
I'm with TD for the waived account fees and use the first class Visa.

The savings interest rate at all the big banks suck, so I have an EQ Bank account which has 2.3% interest.

Sugarphreak
04-13-2018, 11:38 AM

G-ZUS
04-13-2018, 11:57 AM
12 year bump, lol

There are some more recent discussions in the finance section.

RBC blows though, but I think if you have over 100K with them (or maybe this is HSBC or CIBC), they give you a special status and waive fees.

For savings, better to go with Alterna Bank, or EQ, or CTFS

100k? TD does that @ 5k lol

300havoc
04-13-2018, 01:35 PM

Yeah TD depending on the account you have does it at 5K which is pretty cool. I'm back to using a TD student account, because no fees. I've been with TD since forever. I use them for my TFSA/trading account as well, but I may want to look at other options for that, as I'm starting to trade more often and I hate getting hit with 9$ commissions all the time. My CC is RBC west jet, the basic one. I've had a few TD visas and they weren't bad, what ever the last one I had based your interest on prime+something with your credit score so I had a fairly low CC interest rate.

ExtraSlow
04-13-2018, 01:44 PM
I have a lingering hate for td because back in the day I went in and tried to find out about thier account options and described how RBC's vip banking was everything included for one fee. The teller at TD sent me to some office, and the lady at that office basically said I needed a million bucks in assets or I was paying for every debit transaction. Made me feel like an idiot, a broke idiot.

Opened the rbc VIP banking package the same day, felt like a VIP ever since.

I really feel that TD had an opportunity to get me as a customer that day, and it just went sideways.

Disoblige
04-13-2018, 01:46 PM
Opened the rbc VIP banking package the same day, felt like a VIP ever since.

I really feel that TD had an opportunity to get me as a customer that day, and it just went sideways.
That's too bad. RBC might make you feel like a VIP, but aren't you paying $19.95 a month for something TD offers for FREE?

That in itself is robbery.

Keep $5k in my account at all times, or pay $19.95 a month? Answer is pretty simple to me, especially if you like beer.

Strider
04-13-2018, 01:47 PM
12 year bump, lol
There are some more recent discussions in the finance section.
RBC blows though, but I think if you have over 100K with them (or maybe this is HSBC or CIBC), they give you a special status and waive fees.
For savings, better to go with Alterna Bank, or EQ, or CTFS
HSBC Premier is one example... Don't know of any similar feature at RBC or CIBC. Perhaps RBC Private Banking, but I believe that's over $1MM in assets under management and I don't know if there's still fees.

$100k in investments vs $5k in a chequing account

Strider
04-13-2018, 01:58 PM
That's too bad. RBC might make you feel like a VIP, but aren't you paying $19.95 a month for something TD offers for FREE?

Keep $5k in my account at all times, or pay $19.95 a month? Answer is pretty simple to me, especially if you like beer.

Then you have people come along and tell you that they could've turned $5k into $50k investing in bitcoin vs your free cheques and safety deposit box.

killramos
04-13-2018, 02:46 PM
Private banking at RBC is 250k investments I believe. And it’s far from free.

No idea where this 100k to not pay fees comes from?

Retail banking is very profitable across the board, they all get their pound of flesh somehow. Go with whatever bank makes you feel the least ripped off.

Edit: Private does seem to be listed as a million now, swear it was 250k before.

ExtraSlow
04-13-2018, 03:29 PM

Keep $5k in my account at all times, or pay $19.95 a month? Answer is pretty simple to me, especially if you like beer.agree. I'm sure that td had that program back then, but they sure didn't sell me on the benefits.

Most people who think they will keep the $5k in the account will slip up a few times a year, and end up paying significant fees when they do. So you are foregoing the little bit of interest yiur 5k could have earned, and paying some fees.

FraserB
04-13-2018, 03:29 PM
Just switched from TD to BMO, had a bunch of fraud issues at TD and this was the only sure way to stop it.

BMO still waives the account fees and credit card annual fee with minimum balance, the cash back CC vs. travel points isn’t a big difference. BMO did give me a unsecured LOC 8x what TD did and beat their rate by like 3%, even though I never use the thing.

Strider
04-13-2018, 03:51 PM
And it’s far from free.

Just looked it up and it seems to be the exact opposite. $100/month in fees, lol.

sabad66
04-13-2018, 03:53 PM
i consider the 5-6k i keep in my chequing account as part of my emergency fund. if i didn't keep it in my chequing account, it would be in a basic savings account which only pay like 1% interest anyways so don't really feel like i'm missing out on much interest/gains with by keeping cash in chequing to get the free premium plan.

killramos
04-13-2018, 04:03 PM
So if the balance drops below 5k at any point in these accounts boom fees?

- - - Updated - - -

Just looked it up and it seems to be the exact opposite. $100/month in fees, lol.

I know a few people who use it, it’s really not for everyone and it’s more about financial planning than anything.

sabad66
04-13-2018, 04:14 PM

Yup, with BMO it's 6k for the premium plan and if at any point your account gets below, even 5999.99, you pay the $30 fee.

FWIW, it's only happened to me once in the past 3 years... if you can plan well and have a good idea of all payments going in and out of your chequing it's not too hard to do.

Strider
04-13-2018, 04:38 PM
- - - Updated - - -
I know a few people who use it, it’s really not for everyone and it’s more about financial planning than anything.
I thought financial planning, etc was handled on the DS / wealth management side. It looked like private banking was more about business financing, lending/credit needs, and a black card.

$29.95 fee if your TD balance drops below $5k for even 1 day in a month... but they'll usually waive it if you ask.

killramos
04-13-2018, 08:57 PM
Maybe financial management is a better word than planning.

Like not paying your own bills haha

swak
04-14-2018, 09:36 AM
I was with TD for 20+ years when I was a kid, then recently moved over to RBC in the past 3 years. TD's fees were getting crazy over petty stuff, I had enough. RBC has been great.

RBC for day to day banking, direct investing and visa (payroll gets deposited into)
Tangerine for home expenses.

I am trying to convince myself it's a good idea to move all my assets to Tangerine, as I'm a big fan of their model of no fees and they pay you interest (albeit pennies).

ExtraSlow
04-14-2018, 01:08 PM
Not often, but occasionally it's handy having a big bank. Buying a vehicle it's cool to have decent weekend hours and a branch close to the point of sale.

tonytiger55
04-15-2018, 03:29 AM
Im at TD, Credit card at Tangerine and slowly shifting RRSP over them too.

jwslam
08-14-2019, 12:28 PM
Anyone with Manulife?

https://www.manulifebank.ca/campaign/all-in-banking.html?scid=sem-ext_allinbanking_-aib_goo_brand&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4s7qBRCzARIsAImcAxZr0ulFxnuXxGlsJQKxL-K1HuTC8PbKi39-AUT4g9jw--dZkHOjd3waAgNpEALw_wcB

msommers
08-14-2019, 12:55 PM
I'm going to start looking more closely at where to change my chequing account to since my student deal is going to expire here soon. Almost all my banking transactions are online these days and want bare-bones features.

realazy
08-15-2019, 10:10 AM
I'm going to start looking more closely at where to change my chequing account to since my student deal is going to expire here soon. Almost all my banking transactions are online these days and want bare-bones features.

I've been contemplating depositing paychecks into EQbank instead of TD and just transferring it out when I need it cash. EQ basically has unlimited transactions it can do pretty much everything in a "savings" account except getting cash. You can just get a bare bones free account at some other bank for cash. EQ's 2.3% interest is better than zero interest in chequing accounts and the 0.15% interest savings accounts that most large banks offer.

suntan
08-15-2019, 10:27 AM
Simplii for day to day.

Pick whatever is best for you for CC. Get a LOC somewhere so that you have teller access.

msommers
08-15-2019, 11:38 AM
I've been contemplating depositing paychecks into EQbank instead of TD and just transferring it out when I need it cash. EQ basically has unlimited transactions it can do pretty much everything in a "savings" account except getting cash. You can just get a bare bones free account at some other bank for cash. EQ's 2.3% interest is better than zero interest in chequing accounts and the 0.15% interest savings accounts that most large banks offer.

I use EQ now as a savings vehicle. It works great because it takes several days to have the money transfer back to my main account so it impedes my impulse buying! Not sure if this is a problem for day-to-day stuff like paying bills etc.

realazy
08-15-2019, 11:43 AM
It works great because it takes several days to have the money transfer back to my main account so it impedes my impulse buying! Not sure if this is a problem for day-to-day stuff like paying bills etc.

I'm surprised it's so slow. EQ to TD push transactions show up the next morning for me, same with payments to Questrade, TD Visa, etc. Its faster than payments using TD.

Mitsu3000gt
08-15-2019, 02:07 PM
TD my entire life, since the bank-booklet days that recorded my pathetic balances.

Never had a reason to switch or look to switch really. Nothing sits in an actual bank account for too long anyway.

ThePenIsMightier
08-15-2019, 07:04 PM
I'm at the Boyal Rank.
Not happy but not furious. I'd consider a switch to Scotia.
Never will I ever CIBC.