PDA

View Full Version : '95 SL500 grill

irfaan
01-09-2006, 02:27 AM
Hello all. I've been around on these forums for years now - and only posted a couple times. I've got a favour to ask, and I know I'm relatively safe asking here as opposed to any other car-talk forum, knowing that such a close-knit community such as beyond is not one that harbours users that would go out of their way to screw someone over.

Here's the story - there was an accident and the grill was finished. We had someone try to 're-build' it as a temporary measure, but it failed to look even remotely the same. So, my dad goes online to find a grille - orders it, it doesn't come - waits too long and can't get a refund. Long story short, this is one place i know I won't get screwed over again - and I'm looking for anyone to help in my search for a new (pref. original-style) grille for the Mercedes-Benz '95 SL500. Any help is appreciated.

Take care,
irf.

handsomebassman
01-09-2006, 02:38 AM
Heres a link to an pricy one ~ http://replacement.autopartswarehouse.com/parts/autopartswarehouse/wizard.jsp?year=1995&make=MB&model=SL-500-001&category=All&part=Grille%20Assembly&dp=false

Heres another~
http://www.mercedes-benz-parts-direct.com
It wont let me link directly, but the grille is on there too.

I couldnt find it on NAPA's site either, but you might want to goto their store and find out directly. Regardless of what you do, its going to cost a pretty penny to get this grill buddy. Its just one of the unfortunate things of having a slightly older luxury car. Good luck irf. Hope this helps a bit.

Maybe you should just go straight to mercedes and see what they are askin. Or look hard for an aftermarket one that looks stock. Or make your own if you want. Little bit of know-how and elbow grease can do it.

/////AMG
01-09-2006, 03:46 AM
Try http://www.germanstar.net/ :thumbsup:

irfaan
01-09-2006, 12:41 PM
wonderful. I'll look into it and get back to you all here. How difficult do you think it would be to make my own? I'm thinking pretty difficult if professionals using computers and all that aren't able to straighten the grill enough for it to sit properly.

I'll talk to my dad and ask him how much he paid for the one he didn't get - maybe I can battle somebody down a bit.

Thanks again,
irf.

lastprodigy
01-09-2006, 02:06 PM
why not get it from the dealership :confused: i mean if you can afford an sl5...

sexualbanana
01-09-2006, 06:03 PM
That car is finished. You should just write it off and give it to me. :D

irfaan
01-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
That car is finished. You should just write it off and give it to me. :D

ahahah its a classic:) I just love how it drives - it might be me, but I really do think that ever since my generation SL was built - they've never built one like it. The new ones are just stunning, but they dont drive quite like this one.

heh regardless - i love it:hitit:

irfaan
01-09-2006, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by lastprodigy
why not get it from the dealership :confused: i mean if you can afford an sl5...

its not about affording anything - its about being sensible. Who goes to the dealership if they don't have to? ahahah I can imagine - "Hi, is the place where I get ripped off?"

hussein
02-07-2006, 03:52 PM
my dads 04 e320 had a scratch on the side molding on the bottom of the rear quarter pannel near the trunk and he ordered a replacement from the autobody shop near the airport, across from the hilton, that has the square mercedes sign. its also across from timhortons, near a storage place. i can get the exact name if no one knows it here. but then again, that was for a new model so it mite have been easier to find. the price was waaaay cheaper than i expected!! and it cost less thatn it would have to sand/repaint/reclear the peice.

good luck.

lastprodigy
02-07-2006, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by irfaan

its not about affording anything - its about being sensible. Who goes to the dealership if they don't have to? ahahah I can imagine - "Hi, is the place where I get ripped off?"

Hhaha, i love hypocrites...sensible and Sl500 dont go in the same sentence...so...i take it you dont take it to the dealership for anything then ? :rolleyes:

infected
02-07-2006, 06:54 PM
If I were you I'd just get the dealership to order one in rather than buying online so you don't get ripped off any more.

Goblin
02-07-2006, 06:58 PM
you realise that it is an 11 year old car ^ :rolleyes: