PDA

View Full Version : Management and Society/Applied Energy Economics Minor?

Neil4Speed
01-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Hey everyone,

Right now just going through a little bit of a problem. I am a first year geology student at the UofC. After failing a certain course at UofC in the first semester, I have found out that I will have to spend 5 years getting my degree. I figured that if I am spending 5 years anyways, I might as well take a minor program.

The two that I was considering were, Management and Society (10 Courses) and Applied Energy Economics (8 Courses)

I wish to continue with Petroleum Geology, but really, at this point I really need a break from sciences, even in spite of the fact that I like my geology stuff. I was originally thinking of transfering into Buisness, but from what numerous people have told me, its not a great degree unless you get a CA/CFA which isn't easy.

However, I need some sort of buisness fix, I love it, and hence the reason that I wish to take a buisness related minor.

Do any of you have any thoughts on either programs? Anyone experienced these?

Any input would be appreciated.

(I will go see a Undergrad advisor, but I wanted some outside input as well)

- Best

1-Cent
01-09-2006, 01:18 PM
And this has to do with fitness how :confused:

Weapon_R
01-09-2006, 01:19 PM
Do not settle for anything less than what you really want. There will be tons of setbacks but you will overcome them. That management & society (or anything with society attached to it) is even worse than a bachelor of sci/arts degree.

SLR
01-09-2006, 01:39 PM
Have fun man, its difficult, that is why I quit in my 4th year of med school.

:rofl:

Pacman
01-09-2006, 03:12 PM
Neil,

It really all depends on what you want to do when you are done school.

We have only met a few times, but during our quick interaction, I got the impression that you were quite personable and had good business intelligence.

If it were me, I would take the minor in management and society. Only for the reason that it will expose you to various business classes such Accounting, Finance, Marketing etc, which is something you seem to have an interest in. I can't say I know much about the Applied Energy Econ minor, so I won't even comment on it.

The reality is, if you have a Geology degree, no employer is going to care if your minor is MGMT/Society, Econ or 5th century English Poetry. If it ever came up during an interview, you can simply explain that you have a personal interest in business and decided to take some basic business classes.

If you do decide to take the Management and Society minor, take the classes that the first year Commerce students have to take versus the classes designed especially for that program. That way, if you decide to pursue a commerce degree, you will already have some of the pre-requisites completed.

Ajay
01-10-2006, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Do not settle for anything less than what you really want. There will be tons of setbacks but you will overcome them. That management & society (or anything with society attached to it) is even worse than a bachelor of sci/arts degree.

I wouldn't say that. I know some poeple who have graduated with Econ and Society degrees and they are doing QUITE well for themselves. Some other people I know with Law and Society are either in banking or in law school.

Neil4Speed
01-10-2006, 07:55 PM
First and formost, I want to thank everyone for their input (notably pacman), its appreciated to get a different opinions of things.

Still kind of deciding, I need to talk to an undergrad advisor tommorow.

Thanks again!

Cheers

Neil4Speed
01-17-2006, 03:44 PM
I am sorry for bumping this, does anyone else have any words that you might be able to advise me with.

Thanks in advance