PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of selling and buying new car in Spring...

R-Audi
03-04-2003, 01:25 PM
The Audi is fairly expensive for upkeep (ex. $100 for oil change at dealer) and my warranty expired in september. I think I can get around 30K for it, once I return it to stock.
Any suggestions for other cars? I would like warranty if possible

So far thoughts were:
WRX -I love AWD, and Turbo
Another A4, but newer, and 1.8T
Jetta 1.8T
Engine swaps are pretty much out, since I want warranty.
I will find it tough without AWD, but it costs a lot to upkeep.
What are used WRX's going for anyways????
I am also hesitant towards the WRX since the new body style is coming out soon as well.
:nut:

max_boost
03-04-2003, 01:43 PM
Get the A4.....the new body style is absolute killer! I seen one with a Rieger kit and it is beautiful!

Used WRX are going around $30K.....1.8T motor has mad potential regardless what application you choose, Jetta, GTI, A4 haha

I think I am done with German cars, I can barely afford them and maintenance just freaks me out.....

Honda's are where its at! haha Bring on the flames....

R-Audi
03-04-2003, 01:57 PM
I don't think I could afford the New body style A4, it would just be Newer than mine.
Hondas are great for cheapness of repair, but there aren't too many that I like. The Type-R is one of them, but I am still unsure.
WRX would be one of the tops I think though, Jetta close by

MerfBall
03-04-2003, 02:33 PM
You can go back to a honda after driving german????? :D

Check out the Jetta GLI, 6 speed VR6, bout 37K, with Leather and roof.

Or wait for the Golf R32.

max_boost
03-04-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by MerfBall
You can go back to a honda after driving german????? :D

Check out the Jetta GLI, 6 speed VR6, bout 37K, with Leather and roof.

Or wait for the Golf R32.

The GTI hatchback would make a great car, I want to purchase something that is more suited for my lifestyle! The RSX-S would be a good choice too....I am all about practicality, oh wait, am I hijacking your thread?:rofl:

But seriously, if you want refinement, going to a WRX will make you :barf: haha
Upgrade to the new A4! Don't think twice.....car has looks, power, luxury:hitit: plus like you said, you have $30k from your car, that is more than enough :thumbsup:
What about bimmers? 330 Sedan?!

Weapon_R
03-04-2003, 03:16 PM
I think you're overestimating the value of your car. I love the 1.8T and was looking at some pearl white 98s over the weekend, they range from about 25-28K obo. Best of luck though. If I were you, i'd stick with something high-end. It's hard to downgrade and still feel happy about your purchase.

MerfBall
03-04-2003, 03:18 PM
nah, between the RSX and the GTI, I would go GTI VR6... But then I would wait for the R32, 3.2l VR6, 4-Motion, 241HP, 236lbs-ft...

But if you like AWD and turbo, I would have to agree with Max and just go with the subaru... or get the R32 when it comes out and drop in a turbo :D

Even though your warranty is up, if your A4 is still running in great shape than just keep it. Go buy the repair manual from Audi (and I mean actual repair manual not that Chilton crap) and do the oil changes yourself. I wouldn't trade up your car if it's still running good.

max_boost
03-04-2003, 03:27 PM
When is the R32 coming? Sounds like quite the powerful machine in the little GTI

MerfBall
03-04-2003, 03:36 PM
It's actually not a GTI, there will still be the GTI, the R32 will just become the new top end model for the Golf/Jetta line. It's not as light as the GTI and they are selling it without the GTI or Golf Badging just R32.

It's suppose to go on sale in the states late summer this year. It's a sweet little car, too bad it's a hatch...

http://www.vwvortex.com/features/08_02/08_19/index.shtml

THREE40SEVEN
03-04-2003, 03:38 PM
my buddys 2001 S4 was VERY impressive....
But their $60,000 from what i remember

max_boost
03-04-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by MerfBall
It's actually not a GTI, there will still be the GTI, the R32 will just become the new top end model for the Golf/Jetta line. It's not as light as the GTI and they are selling it without the GTI or Golf Badging just R32.

It's suppose to go on sale in the states late summer this year. It's a sweet little car, too bad it's a hatch...

http://www.vwvortex.com/features/08_02/08_19/index.shtml

That is a very impressive car, I wonder what the price will be?

MerfBall
03-04-2003, 04:36 PM
Suppose to be just under 30K USD but not much under 30

ACS-e36
03-04-2003, 04:41 PM
are audis rwd? or fwd like the vw?
i would go for the a4.... i agree with maxboost the looks are amazing... esp with the reiger kit

hjr
03-04-2003, 04:45 PM
audi is either FWD or AWD. Mostly AWD nowadays.

R-Audi
03-04-2003, 05:11 PM
My car is the 2.8l V6 Quattro with Sport package, according to the Kelly Blue Book, it is around 20,000USD exchanged to roughly 30,000CDN.
The difference between Honda and Audi will be huge, so so will the difference in repair costs. I think the WRX or the Jetta would suit me better, but who knows. I would be looking for used cars as well.
The R32 would be amazing, but probably close to $40, and for that, might as well wait for the Sti.
Who knows.....

cocoabrova
03-04-2003, 05:20 PM
I test drove a '01 A4 1.8T quattro at a dealership with 50K and 17" wheels on it.... They were asking $31,000, so your pricing would be "right on the money" so to speak...hehe

MerfBall
03-04-2003, 05:20 PM
I would keep the audi and do the servicing myself. Or even call up a VW dealership and see how much servicing would cost. After all an Audi and VW are the same company.

If you think about it, if your happy with the performance of the A4, keeping it in the long run is cheaper.

But, if you really want a new car I would go with the WRX or Jetta GLI... The GLI is a nice car and comes with a lot of the luxuries that your A4 has, which I'm sure you would miss.

Dr. Evil
03-04-2003, 05:56 PM
I think the WRX is the best out of the choices you listed (which included the WRX). The WRX is after all a WRX and nobody can claim to be a WRX owner if they do not own a WRX. I am looking to buy a WRX right now, from a dealer that has plenty of new WRX choices. I can WRX get a WRX slightly used WRX for about 20,000 WRX dollars US WRX. The used WRX has 780 WRX miles! Not too much of a WRX chance that the WRX had been abused!

WRX

SilverRex
03-04-2003, 06:01 PM
yes WRX is good choice.. even though I own one..all you need is a little aftermarket upgrade for the looks and it will make you stand out from the rest of the crowd.

however, if I had a bit more money, I would consider the evo8/sti
unless u have a winter beater, other wise, rx8, 350z, bmw z4 are all nice cars within range or pricing.

wait... dun get wrx, kuz I want mine to be more unique oO

Weapon_R
03-04-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
My car is the 2.8l V6 Quattro with Sport package, according to the Kelly Blue Book, it is around 20,000USD exchanged to roughly 30,000CDN.
The difference between Honda and Audi will be huge, so so will the difference in repair costs. I think the WRX or the Jetta would suit me better, but who knows. I would be looking for used cars as well.
The R32 would be amazing, but probably close to $40, and for that, might as well wait for the Sti.
Who knows.....

My apologies - I thought you had the Audi A4 1.8t, which is what I was looking at - they have great potential.

choweyt3t4
03-04-2003, 06:18 PM
why dont you wait til feb 2004 when the mitsibitshi EVO 8 gets into canada.imo it would be worth the wait but if you got the itch i would probably go with the WRX

R-Audi
03-04-2003, 08:07 PM
The main thing is right now that I don't want to be spending much more on the car, while keeping maintenance costs at a minimal. I SHOULD graduate next year, so thats when the big bucks come-I hope. Maybe then an STi, or Evo
As the Evo IIX, I think it looks like a Saturn/Sunfire love child. Anyone know the pricing of it anyway?

For the WRX owners, what is the basic performance mods that should be done first? Expected gain/cost? I have been looking at a few forums, but it would be nice to have some local guys.

max_boost
03-04-2003, 09:13 PM
There are quite a few WRX owners on here, you should PM them
SilverRex and his buddy
CRXguy
spyguy

And they are all happy modding :D

Audi Kid
03-04-2003, 09:23 PM
guy....my audi is costing me a fucking Arm and a leg@!

sexualbanana
03-04-2003, 10:19 PM
30k eh. . . . .

R-Audi
03-04-2003, 10:38 PM
$30,000 not 30,000km if thats what your wondering.......

My car is running great, most of the $2000+ I have spent this year is general maintence, so who knows. Rims would be coming this summer, but I have to think twice if there is any other repairs.

My big worry is about the refinement. It is tough to go from Audi to just about anything. I test drove a WRX at Christmas, and I really noticed the interior difference, but the engine seemed to make up for it.
I have heard that the trannies have had probelms on the rex, any other problems?

core_upt
03-04-2003, 10:46 PM
Hey Gordo,
If you sell the Audi, I'd stick with higher end cars. Try to score your dad's; I'm sure he'll be getting something new this summer anyways! If you go Asian, look at the Prelude SH or RSX-S (Mike's little brother almost bought one). I could even see you in a new Maxima, but they are a little on the big side (plus the whole "old balls, loose skin" stigma). Anyways, call me when you're in town, my car comes on Thursday.

Peace,
J

CRXguy
03-04-2003, 10:52 PM
My big worry is about the refinement. It is tough to go from Audi to just about anything. I test drove a WRX at Christmas, and I really noticed the interior difference, but the engine seemed to make up for it. I have heard that the trannies have had probelms on the rex, any other problems?

If you want refinement, the WRX is not for you. It's more of a no-nonsense "sporty" interior. It does have butt-warmers though. :D

The tranny will hold up, as long as you're not doing redline drops constantly.

If you're looking to buy used, I think Calgary Subaru still has a sedan. If I remember correctly, they're selling it for $32,xxx, with about 45,000km's.

sexualbanana
03-05-2003, 12:27 AM
well, yeah. i meant $30k.

hmmmmm. sounds interesting for me

sexualbanana
03-05-2003, 12:31 AM
i hear at 5th ave there's a a4 the same as urs for 23g

ninjak84
03-05-2003, 12:33 AM
My big worry is about the refinement. It is tough to go from Audi to just about anything.

Dude, your car is pimp! Seeing it perform to the max last night was amazing, and I would think this decision over for a few days before you do anything. It's a 1998 with plenty of life still left in it, and it's nicer than most people will ever own in their lifetime.
On the other hand, we only get one shot at this life. I can totally understand you wanting to experience new things and own different vehicles. If that's the case, I say go for it! Do what's going to make you happy during the drive home from work :)

ps: 5 minutes after we left the spot, the place was SWARMING with cops!! I was getting my hot cocoa, and about 3 cop cars came zooming by, and they all flooded the parking lot! Haha, I was laughing pretty hard.

Phats
03-05-2003, 12:34 AM
didn't you just get new rims for your car?

sexualbanana
03-05-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by ninjak84
I was getting my hot cocoa,

what u and al do in ur spare time is none of our business

Phats
03-05-2003, 12:37 AM
hahaha

FiveFreshFish
03-05-2003, 01:36 AM
$30,000 not 30,000km if thats what your wondering.......

My car is running great, most of the $2000+ I have spent this year is general maintence, so who knows. Rims would be coming this summer, but I have to think twice if there is any other repairs.

My big worry is about the refinement. It is tough to go from Audi to just about anything. I test drove a WRX at Christmas, and I really noticed the interior difference, but the engine seemed to make up for it.
I have heard that the trannies have had probelms on the rex, any other problems?

Wait for the new S4 before you decide to leave Audi.

R-Audi
03-05-2003, 12:39 PM
For an A4 to be at $23,000, it would either be the 12V V6, or the 1.8T Non Sport. They were made since 96, so there are some cheaper ones. Mine is fully loaded except the ArmRest Phone, including Leather, Sport Package, Trip Computer, 6 Disk CHanger etc, not to mention the 30V V6. I haven't kept a car for over a year for a while, so that should say something. I am getting close to the end of my mod list too, with sway bar, wheels, and new shocks being the only viable things left. There is a supercharger available, but for $4,000USD, a new car wouild be a better option.
If I could afford a used S4, that would be my first choice, but the used ones are about $18,000 more than what I have

I was given a set of 17's, but am not sure If I will put them on, or give them to my brother. I kinda want 18's if I am going to spend money on them

Ninjak84: Thats funny that the cops showed up right on time...
How does the footage look anyways?:devil:
Core-Upt: My Dads car is Automatic, otherwise I would think about it, it would only cost about $19,000, or close to it.
What car did you end up getting?? No more 86 Accord?

ramminghard
03-05-2003, 12:50 PM
There is a 99 A4 1.8T, yellow, fully loaded, 97K. Asking $23 500 obo

ninjak84
03-05-2003, 03:38 PM
Ninjak84: Thats funny that the cops showed up right on time...
How does the footage look anyways?:devil:

Pretty damn awesome dude!!!
Before I send the tape to the States, you have to check out the sparks that came from your car though. It looks pretty wicked, you were in a drift for like 20 meters when it happened, and it looks kind of cool. At least there was no damage.
Dustin is putting your name and Ryan's name on the credits of Mischief: Destroy. You guys are going to be listed as "Stunt Drivers" :D

T5_X
03-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Volvo S70R :D

HRD2PLZ
03-05-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Ranger_X31
Volvo S70R :D

speaking of which, there's an '00 V70R for sale here for $40K :drool:

R-Audi
03-05-2003, 07:13 PM
For the Yellow 1.8T, it has 20,000km too many, fully loaded = cloth or leatherette(vinyl) and the sports package is a large addition if its missing. The Huge difference is the engine though, 160 vs 190, and the torque band. 1.8L V4 Turbo Vs 2.8L V6
It depends on what you want. If you are going to seriuously mod the car, the 1.8T is your best bet. Otherwise, its not the best choice.

ACS-e36
03-05-2003, 07:25 PM
stick with the germans

02bump'nWRX
03-05-2003, 08:30 PM
[ I test drove a WRX at Christmas, and I really noticed the interior difference, but the engine seemed to make up for it.
I have heard that the trannies have had probelms on the rex, any other problems? [/B]

I had my tranny done at 28,000kms. I have never done a drop or anything.... glass trannies+hp=crap. I am thinking of getting an srt4 but am still very unsure.

T5_X
03-05-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by 02bump'nWRX

I had my tranny done at 28,000kms. I have never done a drop or anything.... glass trannies+hp=crap. I am thinking of getting an srt4 but am still very unsure.

Save up for an evo 8! :D

R-Audi
03-05-2003, 09:50 PM
When does the Evo 8 come out? Sports Compact Car said around now in the States, but what about us?

Altezza
03-06-2003, 06:18 PM
I don't think we'll get them in Canada. The FMI poses a problem for low speed bumper kisses.

CRXguy
03-06-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by 02bump'nWRX

:eek:

choweyt3t4
03-06-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Altezza
I don't think we'll get them in Canada. The FMI poses a problem for low speed bumper kisses.

i called a dealership in vancouver and they told me they will be getting them in feb 2004:thumbsup: