PDA

View Full Version : Decided to get snow tires....

fast95pony
03-04-2003, 05:31 PM
I was doing okay til last Wednesday. The ABS kept coming on , and I rolled through 3 intersections.
So... $1200 of 215/45-17's Blizzak LM-22 later..
There were none in Calgary,so they're being sent from Vancouver.
Kind of expensive, but cheaper than a wreck !!

I had a crappy week at work , so then I ordered some spiffy
Ford Racing rims for the stock (summer) tires. Blowing some dough cheered me up ! :D

I'm getting the snows put on this Saturday,my first day off.

Now, of course we'll get dumped on this week,and then after Saturday, it won't snow again...
Just watch !!

Ben
03-04-2003, 05:41 PM
Nice work man!!!

Yeah, thats life with snow tires, I put off buying some just cause it was so dry before christmas, we had a few dumps but they melted efficiently.

5gluder
03-04-2003, 07:53 PM
Nice, I wish i bought my snow tires a couple weeks ago instead of 4 months ago :(

kevie88
03-04-2003, 07:58 PM
You're going to kill those tires here in Calgary.. my Blizzakks made it thru one winter here, It's just so dry. It won't be that bad if you can control yourself and not get on the gas with them, but I found it so hard to stay restrained on them.

I really think you should have gotten some 14 or 15" steel rims and tires, it probably would have saved you 400$ or more, not to mention a smaller tire is better in winter! (Just my .02, no offence!)

SilverStreak
03-04-2003, 08:03 PM
Ouch, I got my LM-22s in October for $700. 16" 215 55 and 225 50.

Don't worry about burning them, these are hard compound high performance winter tires. They should be very good for your Pony.
You can probably get 4 winters out of them.

Kevie88, you are proably talking about the WS Blizzaks. Those are soft.

max_boost
03-04-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by SilverStreak
Kevie88, you are proably talking about the WS Blizzaks. Those are soft.

But are dam sticky! I like.....

CLiVE
03-04-2003, 09:15 PM
Nice, I paid about the same for my blizzaks ($1200) 245/45/17, and this is my 2nd winter on them, and they should last at least another winter or 2....I haven't "killed" them like everyone said I would. Just take it easy on them. Mine are Blizzaks MZ-01's.....

red RX-7
03-04-2003, 11:10 PM
Nice, I wish i bought my snow tires a couple weeks ago instead of 4 months ago

yah me to, i drive like an old lady when the roads are dry. cant wait to get the summer tires on.

FiveFreshFish
03-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by fast95pony
... so then I ordered some spiffy
Ford Racing rims for the stock (summer) tires...

That's a good idea. I always have my winters mounted on their own rims so I can change over at home whenever I need to. Saves you the hassle of being at the mercy of the tire shop if you don't have extra rims. Also, popping tires on and off isn't good for the rim, and likely not good for the tire bead.

fast95pony
03-05-2003, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by kevie88
You're going to kill those tires here in Calgary.. my Blizzakks made it thru one winter here, It's just so dry. It won't be that bad if you can control yourself and not get on the gas with them, but I found it so hard to stay restrained on them.

I really think you should have gotten some 14 or 15" steel rims and tires, it probably would have saved you 400$ or more, not to mention a smaller tire is better in winter! (Just my .02, no offence!)

Because of the large brake calipers,17 inch rims are the smallest I can fit on the SVT. I don't drive like Colin McRae every day,so the tires should last a few winters. I can switch the tires quickly too...

CLiVE
03-05-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by fast95pony

Because of the large brake calipers,17 inch rims are the smallest I can fit on the SVT. I don't drive like Colin McRae every day,so the tires should last a few winters. I can switch the tires quickly too...

:werd: I had the same problem. 17's are the smallest that I can go b/c of the size of the brake calipers.