PDA

View Full Version : Valentines day ideas?

skandalz
01-10-2006, 03:37 PM
ok so i've been reading all these recent threads about restaurant reviews which got me thinking about valentines day. looking for a nice restaurant for v-day, some place with a nice atmosphere, where you can spend a good 2 hours just enjoying the experience and great food... suggestions?

my suggestion is for La Dolce Vita. went there for valentines day a couple years ago and had the best dining experience ever. we had late reservations, 9 o'clock. place was packed but we still managed to get our table at 9 (give or take 5mins). the hosts were very friendly and the owner/chef was making rounds saying hello to all the customers.

it was a special menu for the night with 3 possibly 4 (can't really remember, all i know was it was good) courses. good selection in wine and the food was excellent. definitely a good bet to take a date on valentines day:thumbsup:

Melinda
01-10-2006, 03:40 PM
Da Guido on centre is fabulous for v-day. Rolland and I went there last year, they had a 4 course meal, you got to pick from three options for each course. Really expensive though, but if you're willing to drop the cash, it's definately worth it!

hockeybronx
01-10-2006, 11:24 PM
OH NO... it's coming again:banghead:

Yeah I haven't had a good Valentines Day in quite a while:(

FatboyTheHungry
01-10-2006, 11:40 PM
Osteria de Medici in Kensington. Very nice and outstanding food.

ronaldo
01-10-2006, 11:41 PM
La Brezza across the old General Hospital...great place to take a girl for vday

Godfuader
01-10-2006, 11:42 PM
Valenti's on 12th ave by the dome had a pretty good setup for last valentine with an accordian player who was walking around the place playing classic Sinatra tunes.

cujo_cjc
01-11-2006, 01:02 AM
I was thinking about Centini.
Is that place any good?

Weapon_R
01-11-2006, 01:09 AM
Anyone ever been to La Dolce Vita in bridgeland? It looks like its a hundred years old so it has to be pretty well established...

~Leah~
01-11-2006, 02:22 AM
Stupid Valentine's Day.

retro-steve
01-11-2006, 02:27 AM
McDonald's drive-thru and then it's off to a parking lot! :D

why can't people just cook nowadays? seriously guys, cook a damn good meal for your girl and they'll forget about all the shitty things you've done this year :thumbsup:

Nissanaddict
01-11-2006, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by FatboyTheHungry

Only one I've been to of up there. I'll vouch for it...about the above post, they sell cookbooks too. :D

Kirbs17
01-11-2006, 09:29 AM
The gf and I are headin out to banff the 10th/11th/12th for a v-day/1 year weekend. We managed to get a room at the Rim Rock hotel. and were booked in one night at one of the restaurants at the Banff Springs Hotel. Should be a good weekend

nismodrifter
01-11-2006, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by hockeybronx
OH NO... it's coming again:banghead:

Yeah I haven't had a good Valentines Day in quite a while:(

That's because girls of the world ain't NOTHING BUT TROUBLE.

skandalz
01-11-2006, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Anyone ever been to La Dolce Vita in bridgeland? It looks like its a hundred years old so it has to be pretty well established...

that was my suggestion. great place to go:thumbsup:

jer82
01-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by retro-steve
why can't people just cook nowadays? seriously guys, cook a damn good meal for your girl and they'll forget about all the shitty things you've done this year :thumbsup:

I agree with this.... If you really want to impress her cook her a good meal serve on a decorated table with candles, rose petals, etc.. use this time to find out what her favorite food is and start learning how to cook it, especially if you take her out every year, she will never expect it.

hockeybronx
01-11-2006, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by ~Leah~
Stupid Valentine's Day.

Originally posted by nismodrifter

That's because girls of the world ain't NOTHING BUT TROUBLE.

Well I see some people are in the same boat as me. Actually last year I just went out with two of my close friends for wings and just had a kick-back time. The Pubs are quite empty on that night!

2000_SI
01-11-2006, 02:19 PM

Well I see some people are in the same boat as me. Actually last year I just went out with two of my close friends for wings and just had a kick-back time. The Pubs are quite empty on that night!

Last year had a super shitty VDay. Got calls from guy friends all day who all forgot it was VDay, and thier gf's of 2+ years where gonna kill them and they needed ideas...
I then got ditched by the female friend of mine that i was going out for dinner with (I know, brutal!), so I ended up going for dinner with a realy good friend instead, which was pretty good, until his gf showed up and I could hear her wispering to him about how she wanted to tear his clothes off...:banghead:

This year is looking a little more promissing though :D

sputnik
01-11-2006, 02:39 PM
This V-Day see if your girlfriend REALLY loves you.

Sit on the couch and watch TV all evening. If she leaves you, you are probably better off without her.

I hate women that depend on Hallmark holidays to feel "special".

[/RANT]

Bill Cosby
01-11-2006, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Sit on the couch and watch TV all evening. If she leaves you, you are probably better off without her.

[/RANT]

werrd

but
find me that woman and she will be named a goddess on spot

abyss
01-11-2006, 03:17 PM

[/RANT]

lol, I agree with you. As far as I remember Minh has never gotten me anything for Valentine's day, not even a card. It never made sense to me to go out to a crowded ass restaraunt and spend a ton of money on a teeny unsatisfying meal, or buy a bunch of flowers that the cats will tear to shreds, or will die in 3 days anyways. Make your girl feel special every day.

Melinda
01-11-2006, 04:01 PM

[/RANT]
That's what we're doing this year lol. We're saving money this year, so Rollie said he'll make a yummy dinner for us and we'll watch a movie together on the couch :) Good enough for me!

Speed_69
01-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by abyss

Make your girl feel special every day.
:werd:
V-Day is just a holiday for places to ripoff people to make alot of money. (I remember having to pay $95 just for a dozen roses one year, that was just bs)There shouldn't be just one day of the year where you show your significant other how much you love them and care for them, it should be a year round thing.

Dooms_Bane
01-11-2006, 04:18 PM
I don't know if it matters?
but orchid room in bankers hall is pretty nice :D

cujo_cjc
01-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Dooms_Bane
I don't know if it matters?
but orchid room in bankers hall is pretty nice :D

still working with those ideas danh?

V6-BoI
01-11-2006, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Speed_69

V-Day is just a holiday for places to ripoff people to make alot of money. (I remember having to pay $95 just for a dozen roses one year, that was just bs)There shouldn't be just one day of the year where you show your significant other how much you love them and care for them, it should be a year round thing.

Wow 95 bucks? I think I paid around 50-60 for a dozen at panda flowers. But yeah I totally agree with you man. If you two are really close, why would you have to show your love right on valentines day? It's just like any other day. If you and your significant other are really close, they would think the same thing.

~Leah~
01-12-2006, 04:29 PM
It's still nice to be with your significant other if you have one on Valentine's at least... it's just stupid to me cuz it falls on a Tuesday so I can't be with my man. BOO-URNS. Long distance = teh suck.

max_boost
01-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Order take-out and watch a movie on the new plasma. Actually that's what we do every week :D

AndrewMZ3
01-12-2006, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by cujo_cjc
I was thinking about Centini.
Is that place any good?

Centinis is not bad. I took my gf there 2 years ago or so. The food was good (especially the escargot). The only issue I had with it was that the tables were packed really close together. I'm not sure if it's normally like that, or if they did that to accomodate vday.

I'm thinking I might make reservations for Teatro this year. Anyone know when it normally gets completely booked up by?

V6-BoI
01-12-2006, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Order take-out and watch a movie on the new plasma. Actually that's what we do every week :D

Heh so it's like valentines day every week huh?

l8braker
01-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Melinda
Da Guido on centre is fabulous for v-day. Rolland and I went there last year, they had a 4 course meal, you got to pick from three options for each course. Really expensive though, but if you're willing to drop the cash, it's definately worth it!

Yea, pm Ed_The_Sohc for all your Valentine Day idea's. This guy is money. I'm personally gonna steal his idea that he used to propose to Melinda ;) :thumbsup:

I'd say just keep it lowkey with a dinner and a movie. Quality time together.

Melinda
01-13-2006, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by l8braker

Yea, pm Ed_The_Sohc for all your Valentine Day idea's. This guy is money. I'm personally gonna steal his idea that he used to propose to Melinda ;) :thumbsup:

I'd say just keep it lowkey with a dinner and a movie. Quality time together.
It's actually Dirty_SOHC, not Ed_The_SOHC ;) Ed is already married to someone else!

Dirty_SOHC
01-13-2006, 11:37 AM
werd!

l8braker
01-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Uh oh.. where's an embarassed smiley when you need one :)

seer_claw
01-13-2006, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by ~Leah~
Stupid Valentine's Day.

Whats wrong with Valentines day? I get presents every year and usually I can't get in trouble for not giving out flowers. :D

My damn birthday.

sexy_sunshine
01-16-2006, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by retro-steve

^I totally agree with this. If a guy made me dinner instead of taking me out I'd be super impressed. Homemade dinners are always so much better and they cost very little to make!

FatboyTheHungry
01-16-2006, 02:47 PM
I cook just about every day for my GF and I. If I don't cook or bring something home, my GF won't eat. Besides, that way I get exactly WHAT I want to eat, in the PORTION sizes that I like :D

I think I'd rather have my GF take me out for a change.

sputnik
01-16-2006, 03:56 PM
I cook just about every day for my GF and I. If I don't cook or bring something home, my GF won't eat. Besides, that way I get exactly WHAT I want to eat, in the PORTION sizes that I like :D

I think I'd rather have my GF take me out for a change.

I cook for my wife everyday. Cooking for her isnt exactly a romantic thing to do for her. I lived on my own for 3.5 years and I would have gone insane not knowing how to cook.

93hustler
01-16-2006, 04:26 PM
Damn valentines day I'm still feeling the financial backlash of X-MAS, For me and my wife we might have to go to Mcdonald's and then off to the parking lot!

BerserkerCatSplat
01-16-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Melinda

It's actually Dirty_SOHC, not Ed_The_SOHC ;) Ed is already married to someone else!

There's a tip, kids - put "SOHC" in your username, you'll get hitched for sure! ;)

cujo_cjc
01-19-2006, 05:13 PM
well i got reservations at la chaumiere for vday today
its a set menu and runs about $55 a person

was thinking about going to calgary tower...but on vday its $100 a person :eek:

hockeybronx
01-19-2006, 06:26 PM
well i got reservations at la chaumiere for vday today
its a set menu and runs about $55 a person

So with the set menu what doe sthe $55.00 include, do you know?

natejj
01-19-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by 93hustler
Damn valentines day I'm still feeling the financial backlash of X-MAS, For me and my wife we might have to go to Mcdonald's and then off to the parking lot!

Talk about a HAPPY MEAL!!!!

lame, i know.

7thgenvic
01-19-2006, 06:40 PM
i disagree, for the money your paying its not THAT great!

cujo_cjc
01-20-2006, 12:59 AM

So with the set menu what doe sthe $55.00 include, do you know?

Actually no! lol...I just wanted to make sure I could get the reservations and I was sorta in a rush. Ill find out and post back some info :)

cujo_cjc
01-30-2006, 10:49 PM
ok so the jist of what i got (the person who had answered the phone was hard to understand)

appetizer is btwn
-salmon salad?
-tomato basil soup

main course
-breaded garlic chicken
-and some type of meat...i cant remember :dunno:

dessert
-chocolate mousse
-some fruit dish
-and something else

sorry if that doesnt help :S

civicrider
01-30-2006, 11:02 PM
to the sports pub to watch the olympic hockey:thumbsup:

a classy gentlmen.....

Nissanaddict
01-30-2006, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic

i disagree, for the money your paying its not THAT great!

What would you recommend for Italian? I've never really looked around the city myself.

t-im
01-30-2006, 11:59 PM
ok so the jist of what i got (the person who had answered the phone was hard to understand)

appetizer is btwn
-salmon salad?
-tomato basil soup

main course
-breaded garlic chicken
-and some type of meat...i cant remember :dunno:

dessert
-chocolate mousse
-some fruit dish
-and something else

sorry if that doesnt help :S

For $55.00 at La Chaumiere that sounds to be pretty 'on par'

But have your gf or you been to La Chaumiere? Some people really dislike it. Not because of the food, but because of the atmosphere..

cujo_cjc
01-31-2006, 02:26 AM
Well Ive been there once...for a dinner after I was done high school. This was in the afternoon of course so Im guessing its different than in the evening

Um...I dont know if my girlfriend has been there before but she's excited to go. Its a restaurant to cross off our list of having tried the food and experience. ;)

t-im
01-31-2006, 02:55 AM
Well Ive been there once...for a dinner after I was done high school. This was in the afternoon of course so Im guessing its different than in the evening

Um...I dont know if my girlfriend has been there before but she's excited to go. Its a restaurant to cross off our list of having tried the food and experience. ;)

That's cool! I personally love dining at La Chaumiere - it's one of those..you really see/feel/taste where all your money is going places..not a place i'd eat at weekly, but for semi-special occasions it's gold.

Gondi Stylez
02-11-2006, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by t-im

That's cool! I personally love dining at La Chaumiere - it's one of those..you really see/feel/taste where all your money is going places..not a place i'd eat at weekly, but for semi-special occasions it's gold.

Fusion
02-14-2006, 07:28 PM
La Chaumiere is my fav french restaurant in calgary..Been there last 2 years .. really good food..:thumbsup: