szw
01-10-2006, 03:57 PM
any good?

ca2p3r
01-10-2006, 03:59 PM
the one near outlaws? on mcleod is =)

sputnik
01-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Merle's is ok. I still prefer the Palace of Eats on 11th St SW.

www.palaceofeats.ca

sputnik
01-10-2006, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by ca2p3r
the one near outlaws? on mcleod is =)

Thats Metro Deli. I dont find it good at all.

l8braker
01-10-2006, 04:19 PM
^ Cafe Metro is cheap and not worth it. Palace of Eats is the best for smoked meat in the entire City as the meat is flown in right from Montreal. I used to go there once a week way back.

nonlinear
01-10-2006, 04:24 PM
there's one in kensington? where is it? what is the name?

mmmmmmm now i want schwatrz's :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

schwartz pickles = dope

FatboyTheHungry
01-10-2006, 04:28 PM
Mmm.... Schwartz's is the best... All though I enjoy Reuben's and Dunn's a lot too :D Anyone ever eat the "Monster" at El Zazium? Hehehe...

So what's this new place in Kensington called?

sputnik
01-10-2006, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by FatboyTheHungry
So what's this new place in Kensington called?

It's called Merle's. Its in the same complex as Janice Beaton and the Wine Market. It think it is the corner of Kensington and 12th St.

hockeybronx
01-10-2006, 11:23 PM
I haven't tried the one in Kensington, but Cafe Metro is definitely one of my favorite resteraunts because of their Montreal Smoked Meat sandwiches. Plus I know the guy who did the painting on the walls there.:thumbsup:

mo_money2supe
01-10-2006, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx
I haven't tried the one in Kensington, but Cafe Metro is definitely one of my favorite resteraunts because of their Montreal Smoked Meat sandwiches. Plus I know the guy who did the painting on the walls there.:thumbsup:

Yes, I agree that Cafe Metro has pretty good Montreal Smoked Meat sandwiches... IF you've never actually tried REAL Montreal Smoked meat. But ever since I've been to Montreal and tried Schwartz's Smoked meat... :drool: I can't even STAND Cafe Metro's sandwiches anymore!

hockeybronx
01-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe

Yes, I agree that Cafe Metro has pretty good Montreal Smoked Meat sandwiches... IF you've never actually tried REAL Montreal Smoked meat. But ever since I've been to Montreal and tried Schwartz's Smoked meat... :drool: I can't even STAND Cafe Metro's sandwiches anymore!

So I guess it's just another thing that's been "westernized". I'll definitely have to try the real thing when I go to Montreal someday:D

sputnik
01-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Palace Of Eats > Merle's > Metro Deli

The meat served at PoE comes fresh directly from Montreal.

mo_money2supe
01-11-2006, 03:31 PM
For those who have been to Montreal and tried Schwartz's smoked meats, how does Palace of Eats in Kensington's meat compare? I'm a little outta town for a certain something called University keeping me away from trying it out myself for some time.

So I guess it's just another thing that's been "westernized". I'll definitely have to try the real thing when I go to Montreal someday:D

I don't know if it's been "westernized" per se, but they're almost two completely different meats! Think of it as the difference between Middle Eastern curry and Asian curry. Same name, sorta, but completely different tastes!

szw
01-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Thanks sputnik, never knew of palaceofeats and I will try it tomorrow. Is the price at merle's the same?

Hash_man
01-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Dunn's isn't still around is it?... that place had some awesome montreal smoked meat.

FatboyTheHungry
01-11-2006, 05:07 PM
Last I checked, there is still a Dunns upstairs St Catharines and Metcalfe.

I like Dunn's, but I think it goes like this:

Schwarz's > Reuben's > Dunn's

The smoked meat spaghetti at Reuben's is awesome though :drool: :drool:

nonlinear
01-11-2006, 06:24 PM
LOL

I was looking for a website for Merle's, and came across this site:http://calgary.wikicities.com/wiki/Merle's_Delicatessen

apparently merle's used a picture of the palace of eats sandwich in their city palate ad :nut: :nut: :nut: :nut:

I read another calgary food blog which said that merle's is $9 for a sandwich (crazy expensive)

anyone know if merle's has a website?

dino_martini
01-13-2006, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Merle's is ok. I still prefer the Palace of Eats on 11th St SW.

www.palaceofeats.ca

Palace of Eats is where its at for Montreal Smoked Meat. Palace Of Eats is the best montreal smoked meat I have ever ever ever had.:bigpimp:

nonlinear
01-13-2006, 07:02 PM
OK just looked at Palace of Eats site, looks TOO good, I'm going there tommorrow for lunch

l8braker
01-14-2006, 12:07 AM
^ Palace of Eats... Don't bother with anywhere else, just go there.

frozenrice
01-14-2006, 12:18 AM
Palace of Eats - I didn't know the name of this place until now. I've been there a few times though and it was great. I might have to go there sometime soon. :drool:

abyss
07-07-2006, 12:36 PM
I had to bump this thread because I need to know if anyone has been to Merle's Deli in the past little while, I vainly tried to get them to cater a small party I was having and it's impossible to get anything concrete from them, and for the past week my phone calls have not been returned, I haven't had a chance to get down there but I'm wondering if they're still open or not even? thanks.

DeeK
07-07-2006, 01:15 PM
Hmmm... I'll have to try this Palace of Eats place.

Speaking of good montreal smoked meat..

There is a little deli off 52nd st and 44th ave NE, called King of Subs, I have known the owners for quite a while. They moved out here from Montreal and they get ALL their ingredients including there meat shipped from Montreal. They pay big bucks for shipping to make sure its authentic and FRESH.

Best smoked meat poutine EVAR! :drool: :drool: :drool:

googe
07-07-2006, 01:49 PM
What is the point of shipping smoked meat from montreal? Is there a special kind of smoke thats only in montreal?

heavyD
07-07-2006, 01:55 PM

That's what I thought until I actually went to Montreal & tried it at a couple of places. One of the most overrated foods ever. It tastes like smoked balona.:thumbsdow

Montreal has some of the best food you'll ever eat (of note is an incredible ribs place downtown in an old house but I can't remember the name) but smoked meat sandwiches isn't one of them.

TC2002
07-07-2006, 02:39 PM
Eh. Just preference. I tried their fresh bagels and that was good too. Loved Montreal. Amazing nightlife.

dino_martini
07-07-2006, 06:45 PM
Zomg, I tried a ruben (spelling) today..holy crap its good. :drool:

heavyD
07-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini
Zomg, I tried a ruben (spelling) today..holy crap its good. :drool:

Rueben sandwiches can vary by the quality of the corned beef used but good swiss cheese can make up for it.:drool:

GC84ever
07-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
mmmmmmm now i want schwatrz's :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

schwartz pickles = dope [/B]

:werd:
When I lived in/visit Montreal that's the only place I go.
One time when coming back to Calgary I brought 5 lbs of brisket with me :D :drool: It was so good, even cold.

frozenrice
07-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Is Dunn's another reputable smoked meat place in Montreal?
Costco sells Dunn's. Packaging says that it's from Montreal and that they've been around a long time. For stuff you can take home and make yourself, it's not bad at all.

BebeAphrodite
07-09-2006, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe
For those who have been to Montreal and tried Schwartz's smoked meats, how does Palace of Eats in Kensington's meat compare?

Palace of Eats is really tasty and definitely the best Montreal smoked meat place in Calgary BUT not as good as Schwartzs.
I'd still say they are comparable though because PoEs is still really good.

Metro Deli is absolutely disgusting. The sandwich was so bad that I threw it away after a couple of bites.

dino_martini
07-09-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice
Is Dunn's another reputable smoked meat place in Montreal?
Costco sells Dunn's. Packaging says that it's from Montreal and that they've been around a long time. For stuff you can take home and make yourself, it's not bad at all.

I bought a pack of that from Costco, it wasnt really that good. I say just go down to Palace of Eats or where ever and eat one. Or go buyone from the Costco resturant thing before you buy and test it out.

calgarydub
10-30-2010, 04:14 PM
I am looking to find a good Montreal Smoked Meat place for tonight

Can anyone recommend a place?

calgary403
10-31-2010, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by calgarydub
I am looking to find a good Montreal Smoked Meat place for tonight

Can anyone recommend a place?

whatever you do don't go to King of Subs. I was born and raised in Montreal so I am very familiar with the smoke meat :rofl: :rofl: . Everyone out here always says this place is so good but trust me it's gross. The smoke meat is like a 1/4 in thick slice. It's also super greasy to boot. I have yet to find a decent smoke meat place out here but if anyone knows of one I would like to find out too.

Also alot of places out here toast the bread. That is completely wrong. Do not support any of these places! :banghead:

stardotstar
10-31-2010, 02:08 PM
Avenue Deli in Marda Loop is great.

sdevils15
11-01-2010, 11:41 AM
6th ave and 4st sw its the little shack in the se corner of the parking lot.