PDA

View Full Version : Best way for me to loose 15lbs

legendboy
01-10-2006, 11:10 PM
I've been ordered by my woman to loose some weight :rofl:

I'm 27, 5'9 and hover around 165lbs. I was always a skinny guy (135-140) up until 3 years ago. I have built up a bit of a homer simpson doughnut haha. It is also on my chest, under my chin, face etc...

Basically my lifestyle is not much physical activities, I eat whatever I want and drink quite a bit of beer lol

So I'm just wondering what the best way for me to slim down and tone up a bit would be. I would like to retain as much of my lifestyle as possible haha but i'm willing to put some work in. I have joined a volleyball team starting this month, i know, volleyball isn't all that physically demanding but its a start.

Also, I went thru the front bay window of someones house about 7 years ago and sustained some injuries that still cause me problems today. I had a 100% cut of my left flexor tendon and a 50% cut of my right extensor tendon. I also cut into the wrist capsule of my right hand. Its very easy for me to re injure that right wrist. This is a big problem because it has held me back from lifting weights.

Any suggestions about this problem?

1-Bar
01-10-2006, 11:23 PM
^first thing is first. Get on a better diet. As for cardio, well go out and run. I'd start off slow, 30hr moderate cardio 2x a week. As for putting on some more muscle, it is hard with extent of your injuries. But if your really want to hit the iron, try to do simple exercies w/o weight (for the injuried tendon and attached muscles). If its easy and there is no pain, move up little by little.

Tendons have a funny way of healing, if you brace it and put it to work in the proper range of motion it will heal faster then if you get surgery for it....

edit: ^^ for completely severed tendons, partially severed = hard to recover due to scar tissue.

But if your looking for the best/easiest way, get some lipo :)

Tyler883
01-10-2006, 11:30 PM
15 lbs is not that much. The worst thing you can do is follow a diet or exercise routine that is unsustainable. Try starving yourself and walking 20 miles a day, and I garantee that you'll be 25 lbs overweight by next year.

look for some permanent lifestyle changes that you would be happy with, and the 15 lbs will come off without you even trying.

hockeybronx
01-10-2006, 11:30 PM
There are a few useful tricks in fitness, if you can relgiously follow these then you'll definitely be on your way to seeing results:

- drink 2-5 litres of water a day (it will increase your metabolism)
- have a consistant healthy sleep schedule (7-8 hours a night)
- make sure you eat at least 5 servings of fruit/vegetables a day
- have complete meals, and eat every 3 hours. This means eating something from all four food groups at each meal
- always have a good breakfast
- if you are trying to lose weight, don't eat after 8:30pm if you go to bed around 11:00pm
- try to get at least 20 minutes of exercise each day.

These are just beginning steps, but they shouldn't be too hard to inherit. None of this magical diet/ or miracle devices crap that you see on TV.

Obviously when you said you aren't that active, your diet isn't that good, and you drink a lot of beer, you know that are a result of your own bad habits. Honestly if you can maintain these simple pointers and just improve your lifestyle a bit you'll see a big difference.

Also if you want, PM fast95pony here on Beyond. He had quite the journey of weight loss by simple eating right and running/exercising.

Good luck and keep us updated!:thumbsup:

SteveMo600
01-10-2006, 11:31 PM
Honestly, you're by no means fat and even just a few adjustments would help you become healthier and you'd lose a few pounds.

- Cut back on the beer (however much you drink a week now, cut back 25-30%)

- Start volleyball and stick to that. Even though it's not a huge amount of physical activity, it will still help a lot. Volleyball can be a very intense sport.

- Stop eating crap and don't eat anymore when you're full.

Seriously, just make a few small adjustments and you'll feel much healthier and lose a few pounds. Don't do anything durastic as you're not really that fat at all.

rage2
01-10-2006, 11:31 PM
I went from 220 to 180 in 2-3 months. The only thing I changed was the amount of food I ate. Instead of eating till 100% full, I ate till 70% full. At first I felt hungry all the time, after about a week, I guess my stomach shrunk, so I felt full even though I'm eating 30% less food than before. Before you know it, I kept dropping lbs, beer belly disappeared, and hovered around 180lbs without really changing the types of food I ate. Still ate pizza daily hehe.

Lasted about 6 months at that weight before the munchies got to me haha.

1-Bar
01-10-2006, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx
There are a few useful tricks in fitness, if you can relgiously follow these then you'll definitely be on your way to seeing results:

- drink 2-5 litres of water a day (it will increase your metabolism)
- have a consistant healthy sleep schedule (7-8 hours a night)
- make sure you eat at least 5 servings of fruit/vegetables a day
- have complete meals, and eat every 3 hours. This means eating something from all four food groups at each meal
- always have a good breakfast
- if you are trying to lose weight, don't eat after 8:30pm if you go to bed around 11:00pm
- try to get at least 20 minutes of exercise each day.

:werd: If you do decide to hit the weights, shoot me a PM and I'll find some safe exercises for your previous injuries....

fast95pony
01-10-2006, 11:41 PM
I'm here !
Lots of good info already here. Cut out beer,pop, and junk food. Eat more veggies and fruits, and eat in moderation.Drink more water. Go for a brisk walk for a hour a day , or run 30 mins every other day. If you really want to lose weight,don't go for the short term miracle. It takes a lifestyle change.

Good luck !

Sorath
01-10-2006, 11:44 PM
i need to lose some weight too :( im like 220 right now

aiming for 190s

Tyler883
01-10-2006, 11:44 PM
Get excited about something.

Maybe you used to do alot of bicycling and know you would really enjoy it.

Seanith
01-11-2006, 12:34 AM
WTF you hardly sound like your fat or anything.. sounds like that woman is out of control! :rofl: jk heh

Weapon_R
01-11-2006, 12:40 AM
Just eat right and you should lose that much in a short period of time.

legendboy
01-11-2006, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by 1-Bar
Tendons have a funny way of healing, if you brace it and put it to work in the proper range of motion it will heal faster then if you get surgery for it....

edit: ^^ for completely severed tendons, partially severed = hard to recover due to scar tissue.

Both my forearms were in splints for close to a year + hydro therapy + OT after that. It took a really long time to get somewhat back to normal after those injuries. The scar tissue thing is bang on, I have a lot of it, and you can actually feel it thru my skin.

There are a few useful tricks in fitness, if you can religiously follow these then you'll definitely be on your way to seeing results:

- have a consistent healthy sleep schedule (7-8 hours a night)

How important is this? I have sleep problems and don't normally get 7 hours.

Originally posted by rage2
I went from 220 to 180 in 2-3 months. The only thing I changed was the amount of food I ate. Instead of eating till 100% full, I ate till 70% full. At first I felt hungry all the time, after about a week, I guess my stomach shrunk, so I felt full even though I'm eating 30% less food than before. Before you know it, I kept dropping lbs, beer belly disappeared, and hovered around 180lbs without really changing the types of food I ate. Still ate pizza daily hehe.

Lasted about 6 months at that weight before the munchies got to me haha.

Haha I don't do much munchies inducing activities so I won't have to worry about that :rofl:

I have been cutting down on my food intake for the last while but probably not enough. Problem I have is I also have nonulcerative dyspepsia, for which I take prevacid everyday. If I don't eat enough my stomach hurts but I think my way around that is to do what hockeybronx suggested, and eat stuff every 3 hours :dunno:

:werd: If you do decide to hit the weights, shoot me a PM and I'll find some safe exercises for your previous injuries....

:thumbsup:

Originally posted by Seanith
WTF you hardly sound like your fat or anything.. sounds like that woman is out of control! :rofl: jk heh

haha ya I know man! Wtf! :rofl:

Originally posted by Weapon_R
Just eat right and you should lose that much in a short period of time.

Cool, thanks for the info guys!

madmazda
01-11-2006, 11:17 AM
All these are awesome just eat well try to cut down the fat intake, do excercises that will keep your heart rate at a decent level for a prolonged duration, work around your injuries. Heres my story, I am an ex pro cyclist who still rides almost EVERY day, ~ 5 years ago I broke my right ankle so badly that it was facing the other direction, with the right excersises I was competing about a month and a half later. 2nd one last Oct I was pissing around at the skate park I fell about 12 ft to the bottom of one of the large bowls landed on my right elbow smashing it, broke my nose injured my right knee fractured 3 ribs fractured my nose etc... Within 2 days out of the hospital I was on my bike riding/training (one handed though)... Sorry about the rant about me but all I'm trying to get across is that with bad injuries it is possible to figure out a way to be active and be healthy, which reminds me I need to go and get out for a ride...Good luck and P.M. me if you EVER need help with anything... :thumbsup: :burnout:

hockeybronx
01-11-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
How important is this? I have sleep problems and don't normally get 7 hours

Proper sleep is huge, regardless if you are trying to lose weight or build muscle. I read Mens Health magazine that improper sleep habits are a major cause of obesity.

If you are having trouble sleeping there are tons of tips out there, usually a few small changes will help:

- going to bed at a reasonably similar time each night
- no major sleep ins on the weekends, if you are behind on your sleep, sleep in to a maximum of 9 hours
- take time to make yourself relax when you first go to bed, allow your body to shut down muscle by muscle
- getting exercise during the day really helps sleep patterns
- DON'T NAP, honestly it's the worst thing you could do and you don't pay for it until a few days afterwards

I really don't believe in the sleep medications or doctor intervention with peoples sleep patterns. Lifestyle changes are in my opinion sufficient to bring you back on a proper sleep schedule.

FatboyTheHungry
01-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Yeah dude, doesn't sound like your weight is outta control or anything. Just try to eat right and regularly.

Sleep is important too, as is regular activity. Doesn't have to be in the gym, but just get out and do more than you do normally.

Aleks
01-11-2006, 03:33 PM
I saw a thing on tv that said drinking excess water kills your kidneys. (study in the US) They were talking about 6-8 liters per day. I know people love water but make sure you don't go over board.

turboMiata
01-11-2006, 04:52 PM
here it is. if he can lose 200, so can you! :rofl: :rofl:

http://www.subwaymessages.com/

http://www.subwaymessages.com/images/jared.jpg

2.4l
01-12-2006, 12:03 AM
bloodletting:thumbsup:

1-Bar
01-12-2006, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
I saw a thing on tv that said drinking excess water kills your kidneys. (study in the US) They were talking about 6-8 liters per day. I know people love water but make sure you don't go over board.

Stuff like that hard to believe. I mean they could have conducted 100000 studies, and if 1 showed the result their after, then its 'clinicly proven'. But man, 6-8L, that's a lot of water!! You'd be pissing every hour on the hour!!

DC2
01-12-2006, 01:20 AM
yo. you dont need to lose weight! just work it out!

i think i need to lost some weight. 5'10 and 180 give or take.

i like rage2's thing. i gotta eat less.... great info guys! :thumbsup:

SLR
01-12-2006, 01:31 AM
Hey read my post... because Ive done it and near instant results (2-4 weeks)

-NEVER eat ANY bread... NONE AT ALL NOT EVEN BURGER BUNS

-Eat chicken instead of beef.

-Do NOT eat processed cheese.

-Here is what I do every day:

wake up, pound back 3 HUGE glasses of water.

Mid day LOADS more water

About 20 seconds before you go to bed, drink three more glasses.

My Results:

I lost 85 lbs in matter of 6 months. The biggest loss was in the first two months.. I think I lost 40 lbs.

I still occaisionally eat beef and the odd bag of chips.. but I am at a maintainable weight now.

Mar
01-12-2006, 02:07 AM
Why do people always spell lose with 2 Os?

hockeybronx
01-12-2006, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Mar
Why do people always spell lose with 2 Os?

Probably just a bad case of the yips:D

Aleks
01-12-2006, 08:04 AM

Stuff like that hard to believe. I mean they could have conducted 100000 studies, and if 1 showed the result their after, then its 'clinicly proven'. But man, 6-8L, that's a lot of water!! You'd be pissing every hour on the hour!!

I know but I am sure anything is excess is bad for you. I mean there was a little girl in the states that was killed by her mom when she was forced to drink 4L of water at once. Moderation is key in my opinion even with water.

TrevorK
01-12-2006, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by SLR

This is the key.

If you eat all natural foods that are unprocessed (I'm not saying all organic - but stuff like oats, chicken breast, etc....) you will notice much better results than if you're eating granola bars, etc....

1-Bar
01-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

I know but I am sure anything is excess is bad for you. I mean there was a little girl in the states that was killed by her mom when she was forced to drink 4L of water at once. Moderation is key in my opinion even with water.

man, that's rough let alone people trying w/ 4L of milk!!

Carfanman
01-12-2006, 12:54 PM
- no major sleep ins on the weekends, if you are behind on your sleep, sleep in to a maximum of 9 hours

I've figured out that I need exactly 9.5 hours of sleep to feel well rested.
Is this bad?

skandalz
01-12-2006, 01:00 PM
^personal prefernce, no one can tell you how you feel.

as far as losing weight and with all of your previous injuries (legendboy) i would start swimming. great cardio and works out the whole body

R!zz0
01-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Tyler883
Try starving yourself

Umm NO. Don't do shit like that you will put on more weight if you starve yourself and you'll feel like shit. Do it the right way have 6 palm size meals a day watch out for carbs...But if you're gonna be lifting weights then i wouldn't worry about carbs cuz carbs turns into fat. Drink lot's of water as much as you can and do alot of cardio.

G'luck

Seanith
01-12-2006, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0

Umm NO. Don't do shit like that you will put on more weight if you starve yourself and you'll feel like shit.

If you re-read what he said, you'll see that he was saying DO NOT starve yourself since this would be one of the worst things to do.

R!zz0
01-12-2006, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Seanith

If you re-read what he said, you'll see that he was saying DO NOT starve yourself since this would be one of the worst things to do.

my apologies to tyler then.

Toma
01-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Cook yourself one huge ass cabbage/vegetable soup....

Then keep it in your fridge and eat a big bowl full before lunch and dinner.... you will eat way less and extremely healthy....

legendboy
01-12-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Toma
Cook yourself one huge ass cabbage/vegetable soup....

Then keep it in your fridge and eat a big bowl full before lunch and dinner.... you will eat way less and extremely healthy....

Is there a secret Kicovic recipe you would care to share?

Toma
01-12-2006, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by legendboy

Is there a secret Kicovic recipe you would care to share?
stock pot
1 litre V8 or Clamato juice
water
chopped up small cabbage
chopped up cauliflower
chopped up onion (just a little)
3 cloves garlic chopped
cup or so of chopped mushrooms
larger can of diced tomatoes
if you like borocolli chop some up
then I add that chilli pepper spice... the little flakes??
enough water to fill her up so the ratio liquid to veggies is how you like.

Boil it for a while, then simmer for a couple hours...

WWJAI
01-15-2006, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by SLR

Mid day LOADS more water

My Results:

I lost 85 lbs in matter of 6 months. The biggest loss was in the first two months.. I think I lost 40 lbs.

I still occaisionally eat beef and the odd bag of chips.. but I am at a maintainable weight now.

Amazing:eek: 85 lbs in 6 months.. great job.

kertejud
01-20-2006, 09:11 AM
calories out > calories in

You can run, do pushups or whatever all you want, but nothing will happen if you don't change your eating habits.

most of the good stuff has already been said, but I'll add a few.

-More muscle mass means you burn more calories at rest than the same mass in fat, so weight lifting does help, as long as you do it IN ADDITION to cardio.

-Don't eat a meal after 8pm (or less than 3 hours before you go to sleep).

-Instead of a big lunch (i.e. a footlong sub w/chips and a coke or a supersized double quarter-pounder meal) have 3 snacks throughout the day.

-As mentioned DO NOT starve youself, in fact, the more you eat (number of times you eat that is) throughout the day the better, it causes your metabolism to speed up, as opposed to slow down.

-Don't eat white bread, if you can't not have bread, at least get something like Ancient Grain bread or what not. In fact, when tis toasted, its significantly better than white bread.

-Stay away from processed foods, even if it says on the packet it has less fat or calories or what not, that doesn't mean its better for you, and most of the time, they trick you with their labelling anyway.

-eat tuna. Its high protein, low calorie, low fat, its the miracle fish I tellz ya. This is more if you want to gain muscle though.

-DON'T DRINK YOUR CALORIES!!! i know it will hurt, but you'd have to cut back on the drinking. alcohol and soft drinks are loaded with carbs and calories.

-two 15 minute cardio sessions in a day burns more calories than one 30 minutes session

There are a few for ya.

gp36912
01-20-2006, 09:31 AM
dude.... ur about the same height as me and ur 5 lbs lighter than me, and i'm not considered fat, i'm not in the best shape of my life but i'm not considered fat, if ur really need to take that weight off like alot of the people have said, drink lots of water, and do cardio for about 30 minutes a day. stick with that volleyball team, if u really get into it. trust me it gets really intense. cut back on junk food and beer, and eat less than you normally would. it would take a little to get used to it but it works, not amazingly quick but it works. and its more permanent too. ur muscle mass will increase a little, ur endurance will go up and you'll just feel healthier.

interlude
01-20-2006, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by SLR

Mid day LOADS more water

My Results:

at any point.. did you ever pee in bed while you slept? :D

But definately i will try it out.. need to lose some weight :)

D-Man
01-20-2006, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by SLR

Mid day LOADS more water

My Results:

Did you do any excercise or just change or eating habits and drink alot of water?

I need to lose about 30lbs. I have very little motivation to do any excercise what so ever, mainly because of my work hours and my constantly changing schedule.

The one thing that I really need to take a look at is my eating habits. I think I eat a healthy lunch and dinner but I don't have breakfast and my meals are usually big meals. I don't drink much fluids except a hell of a lot of coffee at work...

So from what people have mentioned is that I should eat breakfast, eat smaller meals throughout the day, maybe examine my food intake (specifically processed foods), and drink alot of water.

Perhaps I'll reach a point where I'll get motivated to do some cardio, even if it's a long walk after dinner. I should try to start doing some push-ups & sit-ups every evening as well (when I watch tv)...

Slashin_
01-21-2006, 11:11 PM
go search up some diet pills.....i dunno what there called but they dun make you lose wieght but just make your stomach feel full so you don't have the urge to eat as much...i think it like potato extract or something

retro-steve
01-21-2006, 11:15 PM
here's the retro-steve miracle diet (lost 40lbs in a month): get a job that requires you to walk up/down 142 flights of stairs a day and only gives you time to sleep, work and fit in one small meal (tuna sandwich and a coke was the standard). do that for a couple weeks and you'll be good to go! :thumbsup:

*disclaimer*
the retro-steve miracle diet is VERY unhealthy!!! i started to show symptoms of annorexia and didn't look healthy at all. if you can find a job that's physically demanding and leaves you no time to eat i'd highly suggest searching elsewhere for employment!

Talon_lover
01-21-2006, 11:30 PM
all you have to do a bit of cardio and weightlifting. If you run 20 minutes in a 70 - 80% max heart rate zone you will burn fat like it is going outta style. And if you give yourself an honest weight training working also in there it will help you out so much more better. Now just make sure you dont lift weights and run on the same day. Because running lowers your testerone levels in your body you the weights you lifted just 5 minutes go gets cut in half atleast. If you can your best bet would be mix in a 3 day spilt work out. Day 1 triceps, chest, and shoulders, Day 2 legs, biceps and back, Day 3 cardio. Just do that there and it is amazing combo.

Now if you are wanting to "rip" while losing your weight then when lifting weights do 12 - 15 reps 3times with a 45 second rest interval inbetween each rep and have a protein intake of 80% of your total body weight (you said you weigh 167 so 80% of that is how much protein you should have).

If you want to hypertrophy "bulk up" then do 8 - 10 reps twice with a 30 second rest interval and have a max test every 3rd week.

If you want to also lose that weight fast and you are looking into supplements then use Rev xp to lose weight.

lol anything you would like to know?

three.eighteen.
01-22-2006, 04:28 PM
5'9 165 if perfectly darn average, i'd say just go to a gym and run moderately 3 times a week. Who came up with the idea to lose 15 lbs? your woman? You're probably just a little tubby from drinking and being sedentary but moderate activity will shrink those little problem areas, losing an actual 15 lbs is alot...you may even notice that all your fat areas are gone after losing less than 10 lbs