PDA

View Full Version : Did your parents buy you your car?

Pages : [1] 2 3

///Mmmm
01-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Apperently if your parents bought you your car you didn't deservet it and its not yours according to AllGoNoShow.

If your parents bought you your car post here and tell AllGoNoShow to fuck himself.

Also if mods are reading this I will pay $50 for any mod willing to do an IP ban on AllGoNoShow, since he is a usless member of this forum.

88CRX
01-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Tell us how you really feel.

BTW - imo, there is a difference in earning something compared to getting it given to you.

Aleks
01-11-2006, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by ///Mmmm
Apperently if your parents bought you your car you didn't deservet it and its not yours according to AllGoNoShow.

If your parents bought you your car post here and tell AllGoNoShow to fuck himself.

Also if mods are reading this I will pay $50 for any mod willing to do an IP ban on AllGoNoShow, since he is a usless member of this forum.

link to this other discussion?

Have bought all my own cars, don't agree with parents handing kids nice cars at 16 or whatever but had my parents been in that kind of financial situation and wanted to give me a car I probably wouldn't turn it down :)

mac_82
01-11-2006, 02:07 PM
DC2uned is back from the grave. :eek:

tapout
01-11-2006, 02:08 PM

Also if mods are reading this I will pay $50 for any mod willing to do an IP ban on AllGoNoShow, since he is a usless member of this forum. how did all of this start?

abyss
01-11-2006, 02:08 PM
I bought my own damn car. I'm also not stupid enough to think handouts from my parents make me better than someone else. :whocares:

BerserkerCatSplat
01-11-2006, 02:09 PM
I worked hard for what I have, and I continue to work for what I want. I've never been given handouts by my parents, nor have I expected any.

As 88CRX said, there's a huge difference between having something given to you and having earned it. A person is more likely to take good care of something they've earned. There is also a certain element of pride in buying something like a car by yourself.

[Earning a car you can be proud of] > [getting one for free because your parents are loaded]

mac_82
01-11-2006, 02:09 PM

Look who is talking. :rolleyes:

C4S
01-11-2006, 02:10 PM
Of course, my Parents bought me first few cars ... I was a foreign student, no income ... all the money for my first 6-7 year .. was from my parents .. nothing wrong with it ..... ( I did part-time too, but doesn't help much for extra $400 a month! couldn't pay insurance:dunno: )

And then for my first house I bought 4 yr ago.. my parents helped me for the downpayment as well ... :dunno:

If your parents buy you a car, and under thier name, it is their car, if whoever buys you a car, under your name, that is your car .. :) my wife drives my car all the time as well, but that is still my car .. :D

Anyway, have a good day .. cool down .. :)

mac_82
01-11-2006, 02:12 PM
Original closed thread:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114707

/////AMG
01-11-2006, 02:12 PM
LOL, I think you should get banned for trying to bribe the mods, retard.
AllGoNoShow has a lot better meaningful posts than you too (hes a bit of a post whore too, and he admits it ;) )

If your parents buy you a car, if it's a basic car, or an old hand me down car, fair enough. But if its brand spanking new and or they went out of their way to buy an expensive car, obviously you don't deserve it.

I think you should always earn what you get.

I know there are a lot of members here who have nice fancy rides but didn't pay for them, and a lot more that worked really hard for their cars. If you didn't buy it, it's technically not yours, and you know it damn right. :D

FatboyTheHungry
01-11-2006, 02:13 PM
I never took any handouts growing up, and have earned everything I have - my education, my job, my house, and my cars...

Be proud of what you have accomplished, and be thankful for what you are given. But never look down on someone who has not been given the same gifts.

My 2cents.

benyl
01-11-2006, 02:13 PM
Glass houses...

ecstasy_civic
01-11-2006, 02:14 PM
I dont see a problem with it if your appreciative and dont take it for granted.

A790
01-11-2006, 02:16 PM
I've bought ever car I've ever owned...

91 Civic Hatch SE w/ 264,000 km's.
92 Talon ES w/176,000 km's
99 Civic Sir w/ 90,000 km's
90 Silvia Q w/73,000 km's.

When my kids turn 16 am I going to buy them a car? Absolutely. It'll be some beat up POS that I get for $500. If they don't like it, they can buy whatever the want. I live out in the country, and plan to when I have kids, so they kind of NEED a car.

However, I'ma make my kids work their asses off for their cars.

Mr. Burns
01-11-2006, 02:17 PM
Hahahaha this thread is hilarious. //Mmmmmoron should be banned if anyone.

I work for everything I have... I would feel bad taking a handout from my parents.

Aleks
01-11-2006, 02:18 PM
Oh and I also like how kids say yeah I worked hard and bought my M3 or M5 (or planing to) myself. Yeah right, where was I when these "jobs" were being handed out in hi school :banghead:

dj_honda
01-11-2006, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by A790
I've bought ever car I've ever owned...

FatboyTheHungry
01-11-2006, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by A790

However, I'ma make my kids work their asses off for their cars.

:werd: :thumbsup:

/////AMG
01-11-2006, 02:20 PM
Damn this will be a good thread.
*Throws essay in the fireplace, grabs some popcorn*
I'll take bets on how fast you think
///Mmmm will get banned

sputnik
01-11-2006, 02:21 PM
My parents bought my first 2 cars!

1981 Malibu - $400
- Four doors
- V6
- 280,000 km
- Base Model
- Noisy exaust
- Sticky lifters
- XM... err... AM radio
- Torn cloth interior
- Cracked dash
- Mismatched tires
- Faded blue paint with some sections worn down to primer pink.

1982 Buick Regal - $1200
- Four Doors
- 180,000 km
- 267ci V8
- AM/FM Cassette
- 12 mpg
- Old man smell
- Bronze paint with brown interior

Zero102
01-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Holy crap this is a worthless thread.... might as well feed the fire :)

I have bought all of my own cars. 85 mazda 626, then 85 subaru GL wagon, then 86 porsche 944, then 87 porsche 951 then 05 golf GLS TDI.
And I'm only 21. I have worked my a$$ off to get my vehicles, and appreciate them more than anybody who was given a car possibly could. I feel there is a lot to be said for those who earn everything they own.

That said, when I have kids, sure they are going to get given cars. But, not nice ones. They can expect an early 90's cavalier or something (it'll be a few years before I have kids), and they will have to do the work on it. I'll help them, but no hand-outs. If they want something better, they can learn how to earn it for themselves.

Mr. Burns
01-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

- Old man smell

:rofl: That must be a rare option.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-11-2006, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by mac_82
Original closed thread:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114707

Holy crap, this DC2ned/ ///Mmmm guy is a chump! Someone who doesn't consider Hakkola's E-class to be a luxury car is obviously living in some retarded fantsy world.

Forget banning AllGoNoShow, get rid of this moron (again).

cujo_cjc
01-11-2006, 02:24 PM
At first I always thought you should work and buy your own things. I guess thats how I was brought up.

Ever since junior high I have been paying for my own clothes and anything else that I wanted to get. My parents bought me my first car a couple years ago. It was just a 95 civic lx, just something to learn to drive on. I ended up saving and buying a 97 GSR about a year or so later.

I mean, I guess my view has changed a bit. I think its alright if parents who have the money, want to buy their child an expensive car. Just as long as they have earned it in a way. I dont think its right if parents continually buy their children stuff and dont allow them to learn the value of working hard and earning what you have. Back in November my parents recently offered to buy me an IS250 awd but I declined because I prefer to purchase my own car and also slightly because people would just assume Im spoiled.

So if I accepted the car, would that make me spoiled? I wouldnt really think so. Yeah its an expensive car, but its not like I sit on my ass all day while they buy me stuff.

Bah...I dont know what Im saying anymore :nut:

89coupe
01-11-2006, 02:25 PM
I'd gladly accept a car if it was given to me...LOL...that is if my parents were stupid enough to buy me one.

Even if I was financially capable of buying my own kids a vehicle, I wouldn't.

I'd rather my kids learn to be independent, that way they would appreciate what they have, more.

A vehicle is a luxury not a necessity.

mac_82
01-11-2006, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Holy crap, this DC2ned/ ///Mmmm guy is a chump! Someone who doesn't consider Hakkola's E-class to be a luxury car is obviously living in some retarded fantsy world.

Forget banning AllGoNoShow, get rid of this moron (again).

A retarded fantasy world where parents buy their kids a 2002 BMW 325Ci, and the kid frowns upon people who have an older model bmw / benz, because they may not be able to afford a new one by themselves, or just like the older models.

Not everyones mommy can buy them a bmw.

:thumbsdow

lastprodigy
01-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Yea every case is different you cant really say that someone doesnt deserve it just because they didnt pay..But whatever.

Kirbs17
01-11-2006, 02:30 PM
I was only offered a loan of $8500 for a car though my bank, so my dad put my jetta ($12800) on his line of credit, and I pay him $500/month. So he hasnt bought it for me, just helped facilitate the purchase. I bought my first car (91 Plymouth Laser, $3200) on my own. Saved up 1/2 of every check from my first job and bought it.

teggypimp95
01-11-2006, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by /////AMG
LOL, I think you should get banned for trying to bribe the mods, retard.
AllGoNoShow has a lot better meaningful posts than you too (hes a bit of a post whore too, and he admits it ;) )

If your parents buy you a car, if it's a basic car, or an old hand me down car, fair enough. But if its brand spanking new and or they went out of their way to buy an expensive car, obviously you don't deserve it.

I think you should always earn what you get.

I know there are a lot of members here who have nice fancy rides but didn't pay for them, and a lot more that worked really hard for their cars. If you didn't buy it, it's technically not yours, and you know it damn right. :D

:werd: could not of said it better!

:closed:

handsomebassman
01-11-2006, 02:31 PM

jesus, i thought you were gone for good, but looks like dctuned is back at it again. Wow buddy, let it go. You got a handout from your parents. Yes its different than working hard to earn your own money and buy your own. Yes we understand that you are going to school, but guess what, there are people who work hard at school, and go straight to their hard working job right after so they can support themselves and Earn money AND get educated at the same time.

I vote another ban for you!

Allgonoshow is an Awesome beyond member, and i respect 99.9% of his posts. He has alot more to offer than the shit you have given us on here time and time again.:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

skandalz
01-11-2006, 02:32 PM

will it be you, or your parents paying the $50? haha jk :D

teggypimp95
01-11-2006, 02:32 PM
HAHAHAHAH:clap:

handsomebassman
01-11-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by skandalz

lol :rofl:

00CivicSi
01-11-2006, 02:33 PM
My first car I bought was 300 bucks shovelling snow for 1 year freezing my ass off. Ahh I do miss that peice of junk. It had no heat so I still froze my ass of and I still have nightmares of foggy windows. That was 11 years ago :cry:

euro_racer
01-11-2006, 02:35 PM
IMO old european luxury cars are STILL pretty pimp and in some cases id rather like older cars then new ones.....

now for my first car....i help my dad out with his work and after a little while me and my brother wanted to buy a 98 civic together for around $8000. my parents paid $3000 and me and my brother paid the rest together....ever since then ive allways bought my own cars :thumbsup:

/////AMG
01-11-2006, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by skandalz

:rofl: ha, we know you're not joking!:)

sputnik
01-11-2006, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Burns

:rofl: That must be a rare option.

It was an aftermarket add-on common in many 1982 Buick Regals.

:rofl:

Bill Cosby
i have very little respect for people who receive hand outs, you cant live your live receiving hand out after handout, its better to learn that young than get out in the real world fucked

im glad i didnt receive anything from my parents, and it wasnt because they just didnt want to, but they couldnt afford to, and i understood that, thats why ive had a job since i was able to, buying whatever i want, being able to reap the benefits of my hard work, you dont appreciate anything as much as if you earned it

lastprodigy
^:rofl:

handsomebassman
Originally posted by euro_racer
IMO old european luxury cars are STILL pretty pimp and in some cases id rather like older cars then new ones.....

:werd:

It seemed to really bug him when people were saying that in the last thread that got closed. Apparently, if its older than his car, its "shitty".:rofl:

BerserkerCatSplat
01-11-2006, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

It was an aftermarket add-on common in many 1982 Buick Regals.

:rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:

glennm27
01-11-2006, 02:41 PM
my rents bought me an 06 civic si..for one thing..my work ethic throughout the years..passing highschool..and being responsible:D

gpomp
01-11-2006, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by glennm27
passing highschool..and being responsible:D
ok, no offense directly at you but what's the big deal with passing high school? is it really that big of an accomplishment that someone deserves a new car as a reward? :dunno:

glennm27
01-11-2006, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Bill Cosby
i have very little respect for people who receive hand outs, you cant live your live receiving hand out after handout, its better to learn that young than get out in the real world fucked

im glad i didnt receive anything from my parents, and it wasnt because they just didnt want to, but they couldnt afford to, and i understood that, thats why ive had a job since i was able to, buying whatever i want, being able to reap the benefits of my hard work, you dont appreciate anything as much as if you earned it

ya but think...even if i recieve something..now i have learnt over the years that nothing is for free and to work for everything i have...i pay the insurance..i pay the gas..it's something nice they did. to show that they are proud of what i have accomplished..but i do agree ur saying reap the benifits from your own money which is true...if ur a spoiled brat who GETS EVERYTHING handed to them thats different..for ppl who get a car or a house which they pay off later on..as it goes is a different story

seer_claw
01-11-2006, 02:44 PM
I bought my own car. It took time and effort and I wasn't given it by my parents. And I'm glad, I'll treat it with more respect and care. I know that when you are given something you tend not to care for it as much. And I really find you amusing on the comments towards Allgonoshow, a 3 series better than an old 7...come on now. :banghead:

teggypimp95
01-11-2006, 02:45 PM
well id say this thread isent going the way he hoped it would lol

gpomp
01-11-2006, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by teggypimp95
well id say this thread isent going the way he hoped it would lol
i think the only way to fix it is by banning dc2tuned again. it seems all he does is start shitty threads.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-11-2006, 02:48 PM
http://www.m535i.org/gallery/e28pics2/Mel2.jpg

http://philanet.com/~wgbmw/50554a.jpg

I know I'd rather have the M5. The 325Ci is a boring 3-series with a rather pathetic 184HP (Whoops, did that Civic beat you?), while the M5 is a classic with 286 HP. Which is a lot quicker.

Edit: Heck, even AllGoNoShow's 7-series has more power than that vanilla 3-series. 211HP and 225 lb-ft!

Nissanaddict
01-11-2006, 02:50 PM
Don't ban him yet though....I REALLY wanna see what he thinks about all of us now. What a dork. I bought every car except one...a hand me down...which needed a new ignition module, shocks struts, brakes all around (including hoses and cylinders) TPS, o2 sensor, valve cover gasket....I paid for all that except the brakes, and also spent $300 at pick your part to get the interior looking brand new. I was proud of it...all that for a car for about a year. It died. No big deal.

kevie88
///Mmmm who? haha :D :burnout:

/////AMG
He won't be expecting this kind of response, thats for sure! :D

Sucker!

GTS Jeff
01-11-2006, 02:51 PM
haha I always got into arguments with that DC2uned loser and now I know why...turns out he's a spoiled brat!! bahahaha...

IMO, handouts are only bad if they spoil the person, like in this case...haha the funniest part is how chumpbuddy here is trying to bribe the mods with his parents money.

Man, someone should forward this thread to his folks - if they've got any sense, they'd cut their son off...

BerserkerCatSplat
01-11-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
haha I always got into arguments with that DC2uned loser and now I know why...turns out he's a spoiled brat!! bahahaha...

IMO, handouts are only bad if they spoil the person, like in this case...haha the funniest part is how chumpbuddy here is trying to bribe the mods with his parents money.

Man, someone should forward this thread to his folks - if they've got any sense, they'd cut their son off...

:werd: It would be great if someone could forward both this one and the closed one to them, and see what happens.

I just hope his parents aren't as big of stuck-up snobs as he is. :banghead:

gpomp
01-11-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by kevie88
///Mmmm who? haha :D :burnout:
pwned

BerserkerCatSplat
01-11-2006, 02:56 PM
Hahaha, that didn't take long! :rofl:

(Though, I would have liked to have seen his response to the thread.)

handsomebassman
01-11-2006, 02:56 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/handsomebassman/banned.jpg

lol, beauty.

l8braker
01-11-2006, 02:57 PM
My folks give me nothing! haha When I first got my license, my Mom bought a new Jeep, so she sold me our 1989 Grand Voyager mini-van for a dollar.. ahh some good times in that thing :rofl: The last two prelude's i've bought myself (not alot of $$$) and my next car (Wrx hopefully in April) will be bought by myself with money i've earned.

My 2cents here, don't blame the kids. If my parents said here's a car, insurance, whatever, hell i'd take it and kiss both of them. Hopefully, these parents who are buying their children nice cars, are not handing them everything else. The kids who I know, whose folks bought them nice cars don't have any sort of motivation or drive to get out there and work for something. They expect it to be given to them right then and there. I'd also bet that they will never, ever change.

My Children will work and I will split with them the cost of an older Honda type car, and make them learn how to work on it and fix things themselves.

/////AMG
01-11-2006, 03:01 PM
Noo he is banned!! Oh well, he'll still see this thread! :thumbsup:

Mr. Burns
01-11-2006, 03:03 PM
http://www.m535i.org/gallery/e28pics2/Mel2.jpg

My god that car gives me wood.

Bill Cosby
01-11-2006, 03:04 PM
you must get off to Grannies :rofl:

/////AMG
01-11-2006, 03:04 PM
http://www.m535i.org/gallery/e28pics2/Mel.jpg

the_fornicator
01-11-2006, 03:08 PM

if one thing's apparent, it's that you're a very petty person.

this goes to show that the only thing you deserved was the slapping sound of a backhand across your face a bit more when you were younger.

no respect.

l8braker
01-11-2006, 03:08 PM
^ That M is dope:thumbsup:

Rockski
01-11-2006, 03:11 PM
first car i ever owned was a dodge aries that i bought with my entire pay cheque one time, when i was 14.... now that car was a classic;)

BerserkerCatSplat
01-11-2006, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Rockski
first car i ever owned was a dodge aries that i bought with my entire pay cheque one time, when i was 14.... now that car was a classic;)

What was classic about that? The fact you could unlock the driver door with a penny, or that water balloons could knock off the rearview mirror? ;)

(Jokes, man, you know that car was a good time.)

handsomebassman
01-11-2006, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by the_fornicator

if one thing's apparent, it's that you're a very petty person.

this goes to show that the only thing you deserved was the slapping sound of a backhand across your face a bit more when you were younger.

no respect.

Well said.

Weapon_R
01-11-2006, 03:18 PM
My parents helped me buy my first car (17). Now that i'm older, i'd never ask them to do that anymore. There's nothing wrong with that, i'll probably try and help my kids out as much as I can.

On the other hand, I think its pretty hurt to hate on others about their lifestyle choices when you have everything handed to you.

Talies R
01-11-2006, 03:20 PM

Is that how you raise or plan on raising your children, by backhanding them?

sexualbanana
01-11-2006, 03:21 PM
To say that if you didn't earn/buy your car, they don't appreciate it as much is total bullshit. I know just as many people who bought their own cars and treated it like garbage, as I do people who's parents bought them the car and are very appreciative and baby their cars.

I don't think it is a fair to assume that just because you had your car bought for you it means you are a spoiled, unappreciative person who expects everything to be handed to you. There are plenty of people who aren't in good financial position that assume things should be given to them because of their situation. It works both ways.

Was my car bought by my parents? Yes. Am I an unappreciative spoiled brat? I like to think I'm not.

Just because you bought/earned your car does not make you a better person than someone who had their's given to them.

Talies R
01-11-2006, 03:25 PM

:werd: It would be great if someone could forward both this one and the closed one to them, and see what happens.

I just hope his parents aren't as big of stuck-up snobs as he is. :banghead:

Uhh... his parents would see that he firmly argued his opinion, and was than banned for it.

And for the record, it is completely unnecessary to question the morality of his parents. So what…they love their child and bought him a car that he’s proud of.

Mar
01-11-2006, 03:28 PM
I worked hard for the car I have and I paid for. But I also think that if you're into cars like I was before I got my license, work with what you have and what's available. I put a $3000 stereo system into my parents' Cavalier but I didn't pimp it because I knew it was a piece of crap. I just worked with what I had, just don't pretend it's yours.

dericer
01-11-2006, 03:30 PM
There's a difference between your parents buying you a car, and buying you a good car.

My parents bought me a 1985 Cutlass Supreme for college for $850.

I don't see a problem with it, and would do the same for my kids.

Now giving your kid the keys to the Bimmer. That's just stupid, irresponsible parenting.

Let's face it.

'Responsible' isn't a word I'd use to describe most people's teen years.

schurchill39
01-11-2006, 03:31 PM
I have Paid for all of my cars by myself. Also I have paid for gas, insurance, registration, all of the repairs and even to get my licence.
My parents did LEND me $1000 for my first car but I did pay that off over the course of the next 6 months. The only thing my parents have bought for me was 1 set of rear tires for my car for a present and the tow truck ride for the 240.
-1989 Nissan 240sx $3500
-1985 Ford Tempo $500
-1985 Pontiac 6000 (excellent condition) $200 plus $300 in repairs. (It pays to have a girlfriend whos dad is a mechanic).
-1982 Datsun 280zx $750
-1988 Mazda RX-7 $1500

The tempo was garbage and so is the datsun but they served their purpose for the time being.

I am against parents buying their kids cars for the simple fact that they have no respect for it. I have a friend who got a car when he turned 16 and he is all ready on his third $6000 car because when he wrecks them mommy and daddy go out and buy him another one.

the_fornicator
01-11-2006, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Talies R
Is that how you raise or plan on raising your children, by backhanding them?

fuck no.

tire iron.

Weapon_R
01-11-2006, 03:32 PM

fuck no.

tire iron.

...for minor offences. Tazer for the bigger screwups.

sexualbanana
01-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by schurchill39
II am against parents buying their kids cars for the simple fact that they have no respect for it. I have a friend who got a car when he turned 16 and he is all ready on his third $6000 car because when he wrecks them mommy and daddy go out and buy him another one.

My parents bought my car and I had it for 7 years before it was stolen. I have a friend who's bought his cars, and is on his fifth because he's bagged them until they blow up, or he's crashed them.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-11-2006, 03:34 PM

Uhh... his parents would see that he firmly argued his opinion, and was than banned for it.

And for the record, it is completely unnecessary to question the morality of his parents. So what…they love their child and bought him a car that he’s proud of.

:rofl: :rofl: "Firmly argued his opinion"... that's too funny. He spent an entire thread calling people "fags" and their cars "shitty." Firmly argued his opinion, my ass. He acted like a spoiled little brat who doesn't deserve what he's been given.

I was hoping his parents aren't stuck up, but I'll have to admit their son has been doing a very poor job of proving that giving him an expensive car was a good idea.

Talies R
01-11-2006, 03:35 PM

fuck no.

tire iron.

Originally posted by Weapon_R

...for minor offences. Tazer for the bigger screwups.

:rofl: I guess thats your business.

Kobe
01-11-2006, 03:38 PM
My mom didn't even want to let me get my licence, she was like BLAH BLAH you will crash first year, and get tons of tickets..

My dad let me borrow some cash for my first car, which I paid back, same as my second car. Paid back every penny tho...

Now its been 2 plus years, no accidents, no tickets :)

89coupe
01-11-2006, 03:41 PM
Here is a better question. Two parts.

Those of you who have had a vehicle given to you by your parents, would you be upset if they didn't give you a vehicle?

Would you be driving a vehicle right now if your parents refused to give you one?

AllGoNoShow
01-11-2006, 03:45 PM
so without adding much as this isn't a thread I should be in, it looks like this thread worked out REAL well for you hey DC?

This I'm keeping for the memory books ;)

USED
01-11-2006, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe

Those of you who have had a vehicle given to you by your parents, would you be upset if they didn't give you a vehicle?

Would you be driving a vehicle right now if your parents refused to give you one?

My thoughts exactly.

I had a fairly decent car, and just recently my parents bought me a car for christmas and I had to give my younger brother my old car. I have bought all of my previous vehicles and would still have a vehicle if my parents didn't buy me one. I have never expected them to pay for anything of mine, I have paid for my university education on my own, etc.

sexualbanana
01-11-2006, 03:58 PM

I would only be mad that my brother got one and I didn't. It would just prove that he's the favourite son. :cry: lol.

If my parents didn't get me a car, then I would have no other choice than to get one myself, right? Obviously if that was the case, I would eventually save up to get one and I definitely wouldn't have been able to dump as much money as I did modifying that car as I would've. I never had a problem taking the bus places. I've been doing it on my own since I was 12.

bspot
01-11-2006, 04:09 PM
I didn't bother to get my license until I was 17 because I couldn't afford insurance to drive my parents old buick (let alone afford a new car). Drivers ed and my drivers test were my highschool grad present. My parents also included insurance on their car for a year, which ended up being 3 years because I couldn't afford it (pretty lucky they did that for me).

I paid for my own University, all my books.. everything. For my University grad present I got $3K towards a car, and thats when I bought my first car. I felt pretty lucky getting that $3K because I could afford to get a car a lot earlier, and I wasn't always allowed to take my parents cars when I needed them. I paid off my first car myself, paid insurance/gas etc. As soon as I was done school I paid $350 a month to live at home, even though my parents hardly needed it. I saved up enough to put down 25% on my first place, and then bought my second new car.

I consider myself lucky for the handouts I got, and at the same time appreciate the fact that my degree, my car, and my place are all a product of my hard work, and my parents caring enough to help out a bit but still let me make it on my own.

I have a friend who was given a $50,000 car and a good chunk of his first house paid for by his parents. Everything the guy has will never feel like his own. I almost feel bad for him, but on the other hand he's a lucky sonofabitch and who knows if I'd say no to those offers if I was given them ;)

DSMer4Life
01-11-2006, 04:26 PM
Yes my dad GAVE me my first car when I turned 17, a 1981 Cutlass Supreme. I put a loud stereo in it, washed it religously and never checked the oil ONCE! My dad's pride and joy that he owned since new was promptly driven into the ground by his punk kid who didn't know any better.

My point is, even though it was a cheap car and I was grateful for getting it, at that age, I couldn't appreciate what owning a car meant as a responsibility. Every car that I have BOUGHT since then, I have learned about, taken care of and appreciated so much more, because it's my money on the line.

pr0
01-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Did your parents buy you your car?

no.

rip
01-11-2006, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by USED

My thoughts exactly.

I had a fairly decent car, and just recently my parents bought me a car for christmas and I had to give my younger brother my old car. I have bought all of my previous vehicles and would still have a vehicle if my parents didn't buy me one. I have never expected them to pay for anything of mine, I have paid for my university education on my own, etc.

^^^^Spoiled brat.

JK.......so what did you end up getting?

Speed_69
01-11-2006, 04:33 PM
I bought my first car myself, which is the vehicle I still drive and I worked my ass off for it. Sure I wouldn't have minded if my parents bought it for me or helped me out abit but I'm proud that i'm indepedent on myself. I have to pay for everything myself right now (insurance, gas, clothes, school) except food and shelter because i'm still living at home w/ parents. Yes I do consider that people can call their car 'their own' even if their parents bought it for them but in my opinion i'd rather have something i earned. The only thing I absolutely hate is when people with brand new cars, bmw's and modded cars their parents bought go on bragging about what they have but when really if they didn't have their parents help, they'd have a complete POS beater. Another thing I hate is when these people go on complaining about hard they have it in life when really everything is given to them.

R-Audi
01-11-2006, 04:35 PM
I feel that I have been pretty fortunate with cars..
My first car a 86 Ford Taurus I paid half.. a deal my Dad made with me, and I guess the same deal his Dad made with him. from there I have slowly upgraded, and although there have been a few helpers from my parents I have made money on selling a few cars as well.

If they didnt help me out I would have bought one myself. Could I be mad? Of course not. You cant be mad at someone for not giving you something, and I dont think anyone should be looked down upon for being given things either. (Attitude dependant of course)

My parents have worked damn hard for what they have, and its not for anyone else to judge on how they spend it. what they have said on this matter is they would rather see the family enjoy the money rather then just inherit it and enjoy when they are gone.

I do have friends that have been given 50k cars, and really its not up to me to judge.. good for them! Putting myself in their shoes, would I take that car if offered? Hell yeah, so who am I to say its not right?

Supa Dexta
01-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Fuck no, my parents didn't buy me a car.. I went from hitch hiking to college everyday few yrs back to buying my last few cars myself and just recently buying a new motorcycle, cash.... And it feel's fucking great....

Did I read: passing highschool? ha... you can do that sleeping half the day.... and skip the other half...

:rolleyes:

allgonoshow stays! why shouldn't he, cause he made a comment to the whiney fucks that got shit handed to them and aren't respectful?

"daddy theres a guy on the internet I don't like, can I have a new internet...."

:whocares:

ecstasy_civic
01-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
I feel that I have been pretty fortunate with cars..
My first car a 86 Ford Taurus I paid half.. a deal my Dad made with me, and I guess the same deal his Dad made with him. from there I have slowly upgraded, and although there have been a few helpers from my parents I have made money on selling a few cars as well.

If they didnt help me out I would have bought one myself. Could I be mad? Of course not. You cant be mad at someone for not giving you something, and I dont think anyone should be looked down upon for being given things either. (Attitude dependant of course)

My parents have worked damn hard for what they have, and its not for anyone else to judge on how they spend it. what they have said on this matter is they would rather see the family enjoy the money rather then just inherit it and enjoy when they are gone.

I do have friends that have been given 50k cars, and really its not up to me to judge.. good for them! Putting myself in their shoes, would I take that car if offered? Hell yeah, so who am I to say its not right?

Alot of you have that holier than thou attitude about buying your own shit lol

Ive owned 8 cars and paid for 6 of them.
My last 2 were offered to me, and theres no way in hell I would turn them down. Im appreciative of everything ive been given whether it be cars or opportunity.
As all my friends on here know, I also used to be a workaholic, so my ability to buy my own things is not even in question lol

Just good timing I guess.:)

snowboard
01-11-2006, 04:48 PM
My dad gave me my first two cars.

My first:
A Brown Z28 that i fucking loved to death.
Totaly peice of shit though.
He actually only gave me half of this one. and it was only because he felt bad cause he had like 6 nice cars, and i had nothing haha.
Believe me when i tell you, i never heard the end of it, about how he payed for half of my car and if i dont do this for him blah blah blah.

in some cases kids are worse off getting cars from there parents haha.

My dad brought me up to appreciate everything i earned and to appreciate ever more anything that was given to me.

Depends on the family/person.
some are fucks and dont deserve shit.

Rockski
01-11-2006, 04:51 PM

What was classic about that? The fact you could unlock the driver door with a penny, or that water balloons could knock off the rearview mirror? ;)

(Jokes, man, you know that car was a good time.)

a little bit of both, but what really makes it a classic, is that it could handle a neutral drop and not totally tear the thing apart:poosie: ... and mayby the fact that the whole thing could go all at once and its still good for a laugh

Talies R
01-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
Oh and unlike DC2Tuned, I don't consider a brand new car, given to you by your parents, your car. You didn't pay for it, you didn't buy it, you don't deserve it in my mind. Sure some kids may have newer Civics given to them by their parents, but they sure as hell didn't work for it, half the kids I know don't even pay insurance or gas, its all under their parents name. I'd be lucky if my parents gave me $5 for gas.

This is the quote from the original thread 'DC2uned' was referring to.

To 'AllGoNoShow'. It shouldn't make a difference what the value of the car is, a brand new car or a 15yr old car given to someone would still make it their car.

And who are you to judge what a stranger deserves.

People that are given new cars from their parents are fortunate, and that shouldn't prevent them from being able to look at an older car and say "hey that's a piece of shit...etc." (I think this is where your hostility stems from, but it's his opinion that he is entitled to)

Ok so your parents wont give you $5 for gas, thats upto them...but don't hold a grudge against someone because their taking advantage of their situation which is sharply different than yours.

lint
01-11-2006, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic

Alot of you have that holier than thou attitude about buying your own shit lol

Ive owned 8 cars and paid for 6 of them.
My last 2 were offered to me, and theres no way in hell I would turn them down. Im appreciative of everything ive been given whether it be cars or opportunity.
As all my friends on here know, I also used to be a workaholic, so my ability to buy my own things is not even in question lol

Just good timing I guess.:)

My toughts exactly. It's not black/white that IF you are given a car/house/toys/clothes (insert object here) that you won't appreciate. Same goes for buying something yourself. How many people have bought something, only to throw it into their closet/corner/basement/garage and completely forget about it? You paid for it and did you appreciate it? Not necessarily.

In this day and age, success isn't only about hard work, it's about a lot of luck as well. Right place at the right time, meeting the right people, etc. We all need a little help every now and again.

Even with pocket aces, sometimes you need a little help on the river.

glennm27
01-11-2006, 04:59 PM

I never asked for a car..i never asked for anything..id rather buy my own used prelude...my parents are against used cars becausde your taking in someone else's problems..im fine with used..if it wasnt for my cars i would be driving a used prelude or something like that

DC2
01-11-2006, 05:07 PM
my parents paid for 1/4 of my car, all repairs, mods, gas, everything after that was me. they offerd to pay for half my insurance cuz im in school and i only work twice a week.

there is a difference b/w earning a car and just reciving one and i dont think passing highschool goes under earning. maybe if you got top of the class and a sheit load of awards yeah.

i hate those kids that have their parents pay for EVERYthing. GAS. insurance. mods. repairs and especially when they dont appericate it

turbotrip
01-11-2006, 05:10 PM
Its funny how most of the people in this thread that bought their own cars think theyre so much better than the ones who had their cars handed to them. No matter what you say, if you were offered a brand new 3 series as soon as u got ur license im sure nobody would turn it down.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-11-2006, 05:12 PM

People that are given new cars from their parents are fortunate, and that shouldn't prevent them from being able to look at an older car and say "hey that's a piece of shit...etc."

There's a difference between calling something a piece of shit just because it's older than the the car your parents bought you. DC2ned called the E28 M5 a piece of shit because it was old, not because it was a poor car. All he proved is that he's a spoiled know-it-all brat who really knows nothing. I believe his my-car's-better-because-it's-newer attitude stems directly from his parents' decision to buy him an expensive car.

The apple rarely falls far from the tree, so to speak.